Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,401 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo (43509 Views)

Ondo Election Was Free And Fair, But Edo Election Was Rigged, See Why / NYSC Ad-Hoc INEC Official Killed At Ahoada West LGA / Concrete Facts To Prove That Ikwerres Are Not Igbo But Edo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by honeychild(f): 11:06am On Oct 14, 2015
lygn19:

u respect people by when u see a man dat doesn't speak Edo, doesnt bear Edo name, but just because they have oil u claim them and say they originated from Edo state, is dat not armed robbery?

But to be completely honest it is not the Edos who claim these igboid groups. It is the igboid groups who claim Edo. I was in a salon in Rumuola some months ago. This ikwerre lady was telling me about her Edo ancestry. I asked her why her name is Chika and not Ehi. ......so these people are the ones denying their igboness. .....not the Edos claiming them.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by kingzizzy: 11:15am On Oct 14, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Factors responsible.

1) Areas of settlement: from writeup Akalaka and his young family travelled from Benin and settled in areas already inhabited by locals..The locals were more in number and as such were able to dominate in language.(to interact with them, you need to learn language).

2)Intermarriage: again from writeup, Akalaka had to marry his second wife from within the community he settled to gain love and trust of the local population..Akalaka and sons were supplied wives by Igbos.

3) Slave trading: It was common practice then to buy slaves for ecoomic and domestic purposes and Igboland were relentless selling its people as slaves (Igbos can sell anything for money).A man with maybe 2wives and 14 children can own more than 200 male and female slaves..Akalaka and Sons took hundreds of Igbo slaves.

So then, anyone asking of Igbo influence should understand how it came about..But we know our history.

Im perjectly jaded with Ikwerre this, Igbo that.

So how do you explain surnanes? The major way of knowing the ethnicity of a person is the surname of the person because this is something that is handed down from our forefathers and hardly ever changes. Why would an Edo man migrate somewhere and take up an Igbo surname? Even if language can be explained by Igbo influence, surname cannot. They said that the king of Agbor descended from the Bini Royal family yet, the surname of the King of Agbor/Ika people is Ikechukwu.

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 14, 2015
hoobs:
like I said u guyz should jux mind ur business,I do not care who u look lyk or do not like,what am saying is that ur kinsmen should stop opening threads aimed at causing division among igbo speaking biafrans and Biafrans at large,go through my posts u would not see a thread concerning ur state or tribe which I do not know and dnt want 2 know

Shut up there you're just another useless Biafran.
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Eastlink(m): 11:26am On Oct 14, 2015
Oh! I came late. I would have intellectually murdered some people here. Especially all those Edo land grabbers who have sinister motives to complete through crook what their Benin Empire of old couldn't finish. Nonsense.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by hoobs(m): 11:28am On Oct 14, 2015
aim5:

and YESS I am a BIAFRAN....no doubt,bt what are u?,your an Edo man

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by tonychristopher: 11:47am On Oct 14, 2015
kingzizzy:

So how do you explain surnanes? The major way of knowing the ethnicity of a person is the surname of the person because this is something that is handed down from our forefathers and hardly ever changes. Why would an Edo man migrate somewhere and take up an Igbo surname? Even if language can be explained by Igbo influence, surname cannot. They said that the king of Agbor descended from the Bini Royal family yet, the surname of the King of Agbor/Ika people is Ikechukwu.

Hopeathand has gone to be hopelessness at hand

He can't and won't answer that ...I know him well. When. Ever I want to laugh I read his comment

Clowning is his act
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by CSTR2: 11:56am On Oct 14, 2015
Eastlink:
Oh! I came late. I would have intellectually murdered some people here. Especially all those Edo land grabbers who have sinister motives to complete through crook what their Benin Empire of old couldn't finish. Nonsense.
They lost their chance during the benin empire.
It is no longer possible.
The Igbo nation would swallow them alive if they attempt such madness.

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by meccuno: 11:57am On Oct 14, 2015
tonychristopher:

Hopeathand has gone to be hopelessness at hand

He can't and won't answer that ...I know him well. When. Ever I want to laugh I read his comment

Clowning is his act
as if you know what§ on my mind........bunch of clowns......I don't even disturb my self.......grin
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by tonychristopher: 12:00pm On Oct 14, 2015
meccuno:
as if you know what§ on my mind........bunch of clowns......I don't even disturb my self.......grin

What I do is to engage them and gauge their stupidity ...and believe me most of them their stupidity is pristine

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by IGBOPRINCE: 12:17pm On Oct 14, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Factors responsible.

1) Areas of settlement: from writeup Akalaka and his young family travelled from Benin and settled in areas already inhabited by locals..The locals were more in number and as such were able to dominate in language.(to interact with them, you need to learn language).

2)Intermarriage: again from writeup, Akalaka had to marry his second wife from within the community he settled to gain love and trust of the local population..Akalaka and sons were supplied wives by Igbos.

3) Slave trading: It was common practice then to buy slaves for ecoomic and domestic purposes and Igboland were relentless selling its people as slaves (Igbos can sell anything for money).A man with maybe 2wives and 14 children can own more than 200 male and female slaves..Akalaka and Sons took hundreds of Igbo slaves.

So then, anyone asking of Igbo influence should understand how it came about..But we know our history.

Im perjectly jaded with Ikwerre this, Igbo that.
this stvpid assumption will consume your confused being.

Just listen to yourself foool.

Is Akalaka the surname of edo people? Edos I need your answers?

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by IGBOPRINCE: 12:23pm On Oct 14, 2015
honeychild:

But to be completely honest it is not the Edos who claim these igboid groups. It is the igboid groups who claim Edo. I was in a salon in Rumuola some months ago. This ikwerre lady was telling me about her Edo ancestry. I asked her why her name is Chika and not Ehi. ......so these people are the ones denying their igboness. .....not the Edos claiming them.
pls am interested in your story.
Though you were right, the few confuse ikwerres re the ones claiming edos.

Pls let me ask you a question, according to your conversation with her, when you asked her how come her name is chika(igbo name) and not ehi or osaron,(edo name) pls what did she said?

I want to hear her confused replied biko..

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by bokohalal(m): 12:25pm On Oct 14, 2015
kingzizzy:

It is not really a logical argument that you are making because GOODLUCK JONATHAN is neither Jewish nor English. Many people's ethnicity cannot be gleaned from their surnames in Hausaland. Blacks in diaspora have no African names. Whatever happened to the Igbo,Yoruba or Mendes surnames that they took across the Atlantic?
Also, surname is European. People were known by their OWN name in many African societies. The family name was required when dealing with total strangers.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by honeychild(f): 12:27pm On Oct 14, 2015
IGBOPRINCE:
pls am interested in your story.
Though you were right, the few confuse ikwerres re the ones claiming edos.

Pls let me ask you a question, according to your conversation with her, when you asked her how come her name is chika(igbo name) and not ehi or osaron,(edo name) pls what did she said?

I want to hear her confused replied biko..

Wetin she wan talk na? She couldn't say anything. Everybody laughed and we moved on to another conversation.

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 14, 2015
aim5:

shutup there u are just another useless Italian.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Abagworo(m): 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2015
In as much as it is right to respect ones ethnic freedom, I find it ridiculous on how people try to twist history in order to refute kinship with Igboland. All Igbo speaking people from Igbanke to Ikwerre to Nsukka to Afikpo to Agbo and Abakaliki are simply descendants of Igbo speaking people of old that metamorphosed into different clans and ethnic groups.

It is true that some Igbos migrated out of ancient Benin empire and moved Eastwards but what is not true is that they were Edo before migration. Igbo was the language but they came under the rule of Benin during Benin expansion. The Benin styled leadership was used in ruling them either by one of Oba's sons or a Benin military leader or even an Igbo with allegiance to Oba. At a point the Oba became tyrannical and fell out with some Igbos who fled from their home. In Igboland its called "agha idu n'oba". Anyone can ask an elderly Igboman and he will confirm the story. Many of the Igbos that left Benin area as a result of "agha idu n'oba" settled in today's Southeast while others sort for virgin lands further South.

The evidence of this migration exists in Igbanke, Edo State and the line up of Onicha towns all the way to Southeast whom people call Umuezechime. The presence of Igbo speech in Igbanke suggests that it isn't a recent migration or borrowing of language from Southeast as they are located well off core Igbo speakers. The names Chime and Akalaka further proves they were already Igbo speaking before migration to the East.

8 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Eastlink(m): 1:18pm On Oct 14, 2015
CSTR2:
They lost their chance during the benin empire.
It is no longer possible.
The Igbo nation would swallow them alive if they attempt such madness.
You could clearer see it from their anguish. I keep saying it here and in the gathering of folks, no part of the larger Igbo ethnic lands shall be ceded to any intruder should an event Nigeria breaks. Edo and their brothers westward should swallow this bitter pill.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by glassjar1: 1:28pm On Oct 14, 2015
Abagworo:
In as much as it is right to respect ones ethnic freedom, I find it ridiculous on how people try to twist history in order to refute kinship with Igboland. All Igbo speaking people from Igbanke to Ikwerre to Nsukka to Afikpo to Agbo and Abakaliki are simply descendants of Igbo speaking people of old that metamorphosed into different clans and ethnic groups.

It is true that some Igbos migrated out of ancient Benin empire and moved Eastwards but what is not true is that they were Edo before migration. Igbo was the language but they came under the rule of Benin during Benin expansion. The Benin styled leadership was used in ruling them either by one of Oba's sons or a Benin military leader or even an Igbo with allegiance to Oba. At a point the Oba became tyrannical and fell out with some Igbos who fled from their home. In Igboland its called "agha idu n'oba". Anyone can ask an elderly Igboman and he will confirm the story. Many of the Igbos that left Benin area as a result of "agha idu n'oba" settled in today's Southeast while others sort for virgin lands further South.

The evidence of this migration exists in Igbanke, Edo State and the line up of Onicha towns all the way to Southeast whom people call Umuezechime. The presence of Igbo speech in Igbanke suggests that it isn't a recent migration or borrowing of language from Southeast as they are located well off core Igbo speakers. The names Chime and Akalaka further proves they were already Igbo speaking before migration to the East.

wow sometime you do make real sense cool
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Eastlink(m): 1:32pm On Oct 14, 2015
Abagworo:

There is an evidence of truth in your post. The Igbo never had an empire that subjugated neighbouring tribes, rather it was the other way round with the Binis. This is why there need to be an aggressive anthropological, archeological and genetical research carried out in Igbo areas with pocket of Benin influence to correct this anomaly and embarrassment roping the Igbo race. The SPIL and other Igbo donor international agencies should be at the Vanguard of this research to put this insults to an end.

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by mulattoclaro(m): 1:43pm On Oct 14, 2015
lygn19:

shouldn't u be out there stealing or something.
Edo theif.
Hahaha. See thus fool. Your tribe is well known worldwide for criminality and you want to make yourself feel good by calling edos thieves. I pity you. Death awaits you and your tribesmen

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by stanech: 1:54pm On Oct 14, 2015
mulattoclaro:
Hahaha. See thus fool. Your tribe is well known worldwide for criminality and you want to make yourself feel good by calling edos thieves. I pity you. Death awaits you and your tribesmen

Most of the guys writing these stuffs are not edo
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by stanech: 1:56pm On Oct 14, 2015
I am in Edo state and the igbanke people here are grouped as igbos. Infact they are the most oppressed tribe in edo state.

Ps. They are members of Ohaneze ndi Igbo.

6 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by kingzizzy: 2:10pm On Oct 14, 2015
bokohalal:

It is not really a logical argument that you are making because GOODLUCK JONATHAN is neither Jewish nor English. Many people's ethnicity cannot be gleaned from their surnames in Hausaland. Blacks in diaspora have no African names. Whatever happened to the Igbo,Yoruba or Mendes surnames that they took across the Atlantic?
Also, surname is European. People were known by their OWN name in many African societies. The family name was required when dealing with total strangers.

I don't agree. GEJ, Ben Bruce and others in the Niger-Delta have English surnanes they took as a result of interaction with Europeans, but I'm sure that if you ask GEJ's family what their ancestral Ijaw name is, they will tell you. Many Ijaws still Attach their Ijaw surname to English one. The Europeans forced African slaves to lose their African surnames. The difference in the Nigerian context is that unlike Hausas and Yorubas, Igbos were never empire builders. The Igbos never tried to conquer the smaller tribes around them. So how could the Igbos have forced anyone to change their surnames to Igbo? If the Ikas and Ukwuanis are Edo descendants, why would they change their surnames to Igbo when the Igbos never ever forced them to do so?

6 Likes

Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by bokohalal(m): 2:13pm On Oct 14, 2015
stanech:
I am in Edo state and the igbanke people here are grouped as igbos. Infact they are the most oppressed tribe in edo state.

Ps. They are members of Ohaneze ndi Igbo.

Some of us are interested in this oppression of Igbanke people in Edo State,in particular. Let us leave the other 'oppressed' tribes for now. Could you tell us how this oppression is carried out?
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Macelliot(m): 2:21pm On Oct 14, 2015
Enahi:

Lol proud Delta Igbo my a*s. Besides what are you doing in Delta State don't you know your way to the East?

Please take the next available Bus to the East Nnamdi Kalu is waiting for you
If I may ask, are you alright?

You are naive. Did God created East? Was it not a Northerner(Abacha) who created the 36 states?
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Macelliot(m): 2:32pm On Oct 14, 2015
Kagawa10:

Brain-dead, not all itsekiri has Yoruba's blood, some are Edo and Urhobo descent but they all speak Yoruba yet no Yoruba is forcing their ideology on them!

Believe it or not, ibos are shameless sets!
Naive!
Who told you itshekiris speaks yoruba?
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Kingsley1000(m): 2:34pm On Oct 14, 2015
honeychild:

she doesnt know anything pertaining to her ancestry.....75%of rivers state are igbos,40%of deltans are igbos
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by bokohalal(m): 2:43pm On Oct 14, 2015
kingzizzy:

I don't agree. GEJ, Ben Bruce and others in the Niger-Delta have English surnanes they took as a result of interaction with Europeans, but I'm sure that if you ask GEJ's family what their ancestral Ijaw name is, they will tell you. Many Ijaws still Attach their Ijaw surname to English one. The Europeans forced African slaves to lose their African surnames. The difference in the Nigerian context is that unlike Hausas and Yorubas, Igbos were never empire builders. The Igbos never tried to conquer the smaller tribes around them. So how could the Igbos have forced anyone to change their surnames to Igbo? If the Ikas and Ukwuanis are Edo descendants, why would they change their surnames to Igbo when the Igbos never ever forced them to do so?

You are getting more entangled in your own web. That you disagreed does not change anything.
Do you realize that there is hardly an Ika person of say,fifty years and older, some even younger than that, that does not have an Edo name?
If you agreed that INTERACTION could lead to name change, why would the case be different in a Bini /Igbo situation?
Is it in all situations that people are TOBYFIED from Kunta Kinte? Cassius Clay to Muhammed Ali and then LAILA ALI?
Do you need to build empires in order to travel,trade and interact with other cultures?
Edos careless if people say they are not Igbo. It is Igbo problem. However, your attempt at persuading neutrals like me as to why they are Igbos and not what they said they were, is porous.
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by naijaking1: 2:46pm On Oct 14, 2015
lygn19:

lie lie.

Go say that to Ogbemudia, don't come here making noises.
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Kagawa10: 2:50pm On Oct 14, 2015
Macelliot:

Naive!
Who told you itshekiris speaks yoruba?

Lol!
As an Ondo indigene, I understand their dialect perfectly!
The dialect is no different from the Ilajes!
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Enahi(f): 3:03pm On Oct 14, 2015
Macelliot:

If I may ask, are you alright?

You are naive. Did God created East? Was it not a Northerner(Abacha) who created the 36 states?

Please don't insult me, it is none of my business who created what. I do believe the ibos own the East and they should all relocate there.

Enough of your Biafra nonsense, nobody is stopping you guys but as you are leaving kindly take your brothers and sisters scattered allover Nigeria along with you. That's not too much to ask is it?
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Macelliot(m): 3:09pm On Oct 14, 2015
Enahi:

Please don't insult me, it is none of my business who created what. I do believe the ibos own the East and they should all relocate there.

Enough of your Biafra nonsense, nobody is stopping you guys but as you are leaving kindly take your brothers and sisters scattered allover Nigeria along with you. That's not too much to ask is it?
I never insulted you..

I only said that, "you are naive." (meaning, poor in history and what is happening around you.)

Igbo don't own East..

If Igboland was in Cameroon, they would have been in the West..
Re: Ikwerre, Ukwuanni, Ika, Ahoada And Ekpeye Are Not Igbo But Edo by Kagawa10: 3:10pm On Oct 14, 2015
Abagworo:

Lol!
The igbankes are no evidence at all!
As a matter of fact, the Igbankes came about during the creation of states in which they were unfortunately carved with Edo state rather than Delta!
And get this straight, Akalaka is a bini word!
Yeye revisionist!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

Junaid Mohammed: Igbos Can Go To Hell If Denied 2023 Presidency, Nobody Will Beg / FG Alerts Nigerians On Ransomeware Disguised As A Coronavirus Watch App / 2 Sons Of CJN Tanko Win PDP & APC National Assembly Tickets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.