Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,294 members, 7,815,511 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? (36717 Views)

Is This What Being A Supportive Husband Means Or Just Plain Stupidity? / Is He Being Wise, Cursed Or Just Wicked? / Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by MysteriousPrinc(m): 1:04pm On May 26, 2016
i am a yoruba man married to an Ibo lady and her older brother is married to a yoruba lady. Prior to that, my late wife was from Calabar. I am a strong believer that for as long as there is love between you two and he shares what you feel then screw the rest of the world. I couldnt care less where my wife was from cause i dont see Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa. All i see is a woman. Some people had things to say of course but thats all they were to me.....things. I see folks saying dont marry him and stuff but then i ask, when will this stop? its only in Africa that we seem to bring tribe into everything. I pray for the day that we can look pass tribe and live life to the fullest, men our nation will be so great. I pray God gives you strength and helps you make the right decision but as far as i am concerned and my opinion is sit him down, talk to him, what are his own beliefs, discuss your fears and get a common ground and then make your mind up from there. Good luck. wink smiley

3 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by dandollaz: 1:04pm On May 26, 2016
If u can speak igbo u can fly.if not na serious issue oo as nwafor igbo .we have witness many men marrying yoruba and end up forgetting his family to take care of the wife family and because the wife might be having issue wit the husband family nobody dere come close ooo else oyo.igbos marry family but not so many tribe.my advice learn hu to speak igbo else ready for long battle expecially the mum not the sis.no mother will like loose her son.if na hausa they can be accepted easily than yoruba

2 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:04pm On May 26, 2016
richyblink1:

Oga, you make it seem like marrying an Igbo man is world war 3. The point you listed there are all meaningless if the man have balls and stand his grounds.

I am igbo while my better half is Akwa Ibom. Yet the sky isn't cracking . The man in question should be able to talk to this parents and make them understand where his happiness lies.

Let's stop encouraging tribalism and encourage one another to resist it gently till it's corrected

Akwa Ibom and Igbo has been marrying ages so why the big deal ....almost the same culture

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by fireforfire: 1:05pm On May 26, 2016
richyblink1:

Oga, you make it seem like marrying an Igbo man is world war 3. The point you listed there are all meaningless if the man have balls and stand his grounds.

I am igbo while my better half is Akwa Ibom. Yet the sky isn't cracking . The man in question should be able to talk to this parents and make them understand where his happiness lies.

Let's stop encouraging tribalism and encourage one another to resist it gently till it's corrected

D man has valid points.

I think ur own case is different in d sense dat ur wife is from a kwa ibom . Most igbos r ok with spouses from calabar ,rivers , akwaibom ,edo , u know most southern states.
Dey feel it's not too far from d east n share some similarities in terms of culture.

But mentioning yoruba to some igbo parents is a no no . Due to d vast cultural differences.

My 2 dollars tho

6 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Revolva(m): 1:06pm On May 26, 2016
Tribalism again for love matter this our country is worst we don't love ourselves yet we claim to know God

Imagine Americans are marrying from different race we are. Here same skin colourr and casuing hatred all in the name of one stewpid tradition
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:06pm On May 26, 2016
dandollaz:
If u can speak igbo u can fly.if not na serious issue oo as nwafor igbo .we have witness many men marrying yoruba and end up forgetting his family to take care of the wife family and because the wife might be having issue wit the husband family nobody dere come close ooo else oyo.igbos marry family but not so many tribe.my advice learn hu to speak igbo else ready for long battle expecially the mum not the sis.no mother will like loose her son.if na hausa they can be accepted easily than yoruba

Do you realise that Igbo language is a difficult language and it takes years to master igbo....which dialect woukd she learn

That's why it's hard to see non igbo speak Igbo language ...it's a difficult language ...she should kwado maka ogo Na abia

Wetin concern me

Maka makwara
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by fireforfire: 1:06pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Akwa Ibom and Igbo has been marrying ages so why the big deal ....almost the same culture

Exactly. Dat was my response to him too.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:07pm On May 26, 2016
fireforfire:

D man has valid points.

I think ur own case is different in d sense dat ur wife is from a kwa ibom . Most igbos r ok with spouses from calabar ,rivers , akwaibom ,edo , u know most southern states.
Dey feel it's not too far from d east n share some similarities in terms of culture.

But mentioning yoruba to some igbo parents is a no no . Due to d vast cultural differences.

My 2 dollars tho

That's what u have made him to understand
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:10pm On May 26, 2016
kaziblake:
My dear this is tough o..i will advice you to seek God face,if it doesn't work out then find your way.
My cousin is married to an Igbo guy and they are doing fine.
His parent approved the marriage cos they are well learned and aren't tribalistic likewise her parent too...Tribalism is mostly common among the illiterates.
My yoruba friend is facing the same the same issue from her father cos of her igbo boo,her boyfriend parent accepted her wholeheartedly but her own father is the main issue..She took in and she is currently 8month gone but her father is still adamant.
May God help you and morenike

Hmmmm that lady has ended having kids out of wedlock
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by fireforfire: 1:10pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:

Amen my sister... my father is cool with us..just his parents and I don't have a mum to come for my omugwo...the dudes parent threatened to disown his sis if she marries outside Igbo...who does that?

Hmm dey threatened to disown dia own daughter. .... and u still want put head for dt kind family.

Just be ready
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:12pm On May 26, 2016
fireforfire:

Exactly. Dat was my response to him too.

They don't like hearing the truth ...even in America it's the same thing

I am just sick of Igbo this and that daily

Can they allow igbo breathe

5 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by waternogetemeny: 1:13pm On May 26, 2016
Anybody that thinks OP is woman need to get their head checked. That is a tribalistic Yoruba man obessessed with marriage to Igbo.

He joined nairaland this month and this is the only valid topic to post on FP despite all the problems Nigeria is experiencing.

Go and cover ur head in shame.

igbos should think deeply of baning marriages to Yoruba so dey can rest and let us rest too.

4 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by fireforfire: 1:14pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:

He is being a committed,obedient first son and first born of the FAM, laying good examples cry
Did I hear u say FIRST son??
My dear sis just leave him.
Dey will never allow u marry dia first son. First sons (diokpala) in Ibo land are like gold.

Dia families dnt release dem anyhow , let alone someone frm anoda tribe.

God will send u someone better. Just move on

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Chinaimporter: 1:14pm On May 26, 2016
[b][size=13pt]As an igboman who have nothing against other tribes in Nigeria, I will like to ask you to do the right thing by refusing to marry my brother.
We igbos care about out genetic integrity and genetic hygiene so much that we find it difficult to dilute the genes of our progeny with that of people with inferior genetic makeup.
This same thing is happening in the north where the superior Fulani blood is gradually been diluted with threat of the Chadic and Proto kwa inferior elements.
I am a product of a mixed race marriage and my mother is Yoruba. As such I have always hated myself and always quarrel with my father for diluting the blood of eri that flow through my vein with that of the Yoruba race.
It is better for all Africans to allow the igbos remain pure since just like the Germans are helping Europe today,igbos will be the savior of the black race.
I have nothing against other tribes or people but I strongly believe in the blueness of the Igbo blood and I have no problem with people believing in their own blood too.
In other to return my progeny to their initial height, I have decided to marry only a lady from the purest Igbo stock that can be found only in anambra(onitsha inclusive since the few Benin blood have been assimilated and over diluted with obosi and Ogidi material)Enugu state and asaba areas of delta state(agbor exluded due to Benin admixture)....other Igbo state have these kind of people but it is now difficult to detect since a lot of dilution have happened over the years especially in imo[/size][/b]

4 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:14pm On May 26, 2016
Beremx:
you should just remain in politics section. you're not good in giving marital advice.

You will see more of this .....how is your husband ..i know you are from IMO and you married a Niger Delta

I am here beremx ....is my advice not a good thing

I know truth is bitter and people might find it unpalatable but it must be said and sold

They are not married yet but screwing themselves
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Kingnonny(m): 1:15pm On May 26, 2016
My friend's sister Nikky just wedded last Saturday to a handsome dude from Osun while she's Anambra, my point is that you guys need both parents consent, approval and blessings. Since the marriage seems more important to you. Look your assignment is your man he needs to man up, I wish I know you personally. But all the same you must talk sense into your man's head, if truly he loves you then you must make him understand that his sources of happiness(you) needs a strong support cos I believe all they want for him is just the best . See let me tell you the family is trying to be over protective over their son, if you can make them understand you know what they are doing and that you must not let them have any regret for marrying you. You have a duty to make him talk sense into his people they must not really like you over night but just get that little approval from them and be a good woman to them. I have seen lots of Yoruba-Igbo marriages that more harmonious & successful. But in everything there is a hand that controls the heart of men, I'll advice you move that hand to favor you.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 1:15pm On May 26, 2016
sammied:

you see.... other tribes are not as myopic as igbos...tribalism is the reason igbo have produced no quality leaders in Nigeria, the world is a global village, when you cannot easily relate and accept others, you automatically lose out... all the shout about been segregated in Nigeria by igbos... what has it produced? nothing!

most of this tribalistic igbos does not even know their village, if not for the open minded nature of other tribes accepting them into their lands they wouldn't have amount to anything....

the earlier igbos wake up from their tribalistic snoring sleep... the better for them....
You will make a bad in law. No wonder your intending in laws are refusing vehemently to accept you.
Imagine the venom you are spewing to a tribe your supposed "sweetheart" came out from. I sincerely pray they will refuse to give out their daughter to a bitterly bigoted tribalist like you to save their daughter of impending heart attack.
I am Igbo so bring it on.

7 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:17pm On May 26, 2016
Kingnonny:
My friend's sister Nikky just wedded last Saturday to a handsome dude from Osun while she's Anambra, my point is that you guys need both parents consent, approval and blessings. Since the marriage seems more important to you. Look your assignment is your man he needs to man up, I wish I know you personally. But all the same you must talk sense into your man's head, if truly he loves you then you must make him understand that his sources of happiness(you) needs a strong support cos I believe all they want for him is just the best . See let me tell you the family is trying to be over protective over their son, if you can make them understand you know what they are doing and that you must not let them have any regret for marrying you. You have a duty to make him talk sense into his people they must not really like you over night but just get that little approval from them and be a good woman to them. I have seen lots of Yoruba-Igbo marriages that more harmonious & successful. But in everything there is a hand that controls the heart of men, I'll advice you move that hand to favor you.
Talking sense into the man means throwing himself at the man and that will haunt her in future ..trust me

A friend of mine ..the wife forced himself to him..after many kids that man will remind her that she isn't the person he wanted to marry ...this is and

Allow the man to take decision

That's my own and if the family doesn't want a woman in their family ..why would a decent woman force herself on the family

That's desperation
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:19pm On May 26, 2016
TheArchangel:
You will make a bad in law. No wonder your intending in laws are refusing vehemently to accept you.
Imagine the venom you are spewing to a tribe your supposed "sweetheart" came out from. I sincerely pray they will refuse to give out their daughter to a bitterly bigoted tribalist like you to save their daughter of impending heart attack.
I am Igbo so bring it on.

Don't mind them

I keep asking why are they running away from their people

Everyday it's Igbo man and woman won't marry me

Why do they lament on igbo daily

7 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaziblake(f): 1:19pm On May 26, 2016
Kobicove:

What makes her a tribalist?

Love alone is not enough to sustain a marriage, period!

Don't marry someone from a different tribe if you can avoid it ...the headaches you will face in future are just too many.

Marrying someone from the same tribe but from a different background and upbringing is challenging enough, so why would you want to complicate things by throwing tribal difference in the 'mix'?

I'm from the south east and I almost made that mistake by marrying a lady from the Niger Delta area.

Trust me, it's not worth it!!!
what made the lady a mistake?I'm from a mixed tribe,my parent aren't tribalistic I can marry any tribe as long as I'm satisfied and happy.
We are all one..forget this tribal issues

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by prettyslimme(f): 1:20pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Oga what is meaningless

Let us start encouraging people marrying their likes ...it's not a nive thing disobeying parents just to marry

We will all be parents someday so why will you advise somebody to disobey

And why should a lady throw herself on a man that his family doesn't want her...there should be dignity

Why can't the lady simply walk away and let the man sort this thing out of he really wants

This is shameful a lady comes to public forum to lament about Igbo man not marrying her...for Christ sake sue can find men in her tribe or is her tribal men not marriage material

This is shameful ..and for a lady for that matter ...we know husbands are scarce but there should be dignity NAA

A man should be the one doing the chasing .....
and dis one will claim he is learned when he cant even comprehend.read well before commenting.

3 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaziblake(f): 1:21pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Hmmmm that lady has ended having kids out of wedlock
The boy parent accepted, it's the girl father that is the main issue now
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:23pm On May 26, 2016
kaziblake:
The boy parent accepted, it's the girl father that is the main issue now

Then why don't the girl respect herself ..instead of throwing himself at the man...is the Girl ugly? Now she has had birth out of marriage ..an illegitimate child

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by ajimega: 1:24pm On May 26, 2016
If truly u love one another then it is reasonable to get married, the said parents can not stay away for long when they see their grandchild for the first time even if it five to ten years time the hate will disappear but it takes a lot of corage my dear. my parents too where not in support when my eldest brother brought an igbo lady home but when he impregnated her and she starts to show they had no chioce and my immediate brother also got a Delta lady home and they just accepted their fate. Now i am bringing a Muslim home. All will be well dearest

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaziblake(f): 1:25pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

My igbo neighbour refused her son getting married to his calabar girlfriend.
So forget that stuff,havent you seen anambra rejecting enugu spouse?
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by fireforfire: 1:29pm On May 26, 2016
Princess91:
I am a fulani babe and my man is a yoruba man,we are engaged,his parents love me and also my parents love him...I think the key here is love,understanding from both parties.

.....****** herdsmen. .lol

Sorry na play I dey play o
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaziblake(f): 1:30pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Then why don't the girl respect herself ..instead of throwing himself at the man...is the Girl ugly? Now she has had birth out of marriage ..an illegitimate child
when true love is involved nobody can separate them...
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaziblake(f): 1:31pm On May 26, 2016
fireforfire:

.....****** herdsmen. .lol

Sorry na play I dey play o
You aren't okay undecided grin

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nature129(m): 1:31pm On May 26, 2016
IGLE25:
I don't see why parents of this generation still back on tribal differences in marriage matters. I was in your shoe some years back but I have to let go of the relationship. I dated this Ibo girl for 12 years and was thinking of proposing to her on our 12th year of courtship when she broke the news of her dad not in support of the relationship and she was asking what is my take on it. I told her bluntly to go with whatever her mind chooses and she went with her father's mandate. As I am writing to you now she will be 31 this year and not in any serious relationship, I am not making gest of her but her father brought this into her life. By the grace of God I will be settling down with my Oyinbo Canada in July. I don't really know what to advise you but do what you know is best for you and the most important thing seek the face of God in this situation and all will be well with you. Goodluck in making your choice.

You deceived and wasted 12 years of a precious girl's life, and you even have the guts to tell the world? God of love will judge you

How on earth was she supposed to know you would propose to her on your 12th year of relatnshp?

I put it to you that you just fooled her for 12 years!
I just pity some girls that guys like you use love to deceive...smh
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by waternogetemeny: 1:32pm On May 26, 2016
ajimega:
[s]If truly u love one another then it is reasonable to get married, the said parents can not stay away for long when they see their grandchild for the first time even if it five to ten years time the hate will disappear but it takes a lot of corage my dear. my parents too where not in support when my eldest brother brought an igbo lady home but when he impregnated her and she starts to show they had no chioce and my immediate brother also got a Delta lady home and they just accepted their fate. Now i am bringing a Muslim home. All will be well dearest[/s]

Are u allergic to ur Yoruba? This trash u wrote, did u think, u made any sense?

Begging mixing, people would think maybe u were talking of another race, but it is black people like you.

or Maybe yorubas see other linguistic group as white, Chinese, latino and they want to mix so they can have mix race.

Anybody that have a better explanation for their obsession with igbos pls share.

2 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:32pm On May 26, 2016
kaziblake:
when true love is involved nobody can separate them...

That was in the movie titanic
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:34pm On May 26, 2016
waternogetemeny:

Are u allergic to ur Yoruba? This trash u wrote, did u think u made any sense?

Begging mixing, people would think maybe u were talking of another race but it is black people like you.

Maybe yorubas see other linguistic group as white, Chinese, latino and they want to mix so they can have mix race.

Anybody that have a better explanation for their obsession with igbos pls share.

I think most Yoruba detest marrying themselves ....i am doing a research on this ...there will be a white paper coming out soon

Even the new ooni seff didn't marry a Yoruba he went and married an Edo

Something is missing here

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerian Couple Reunited After 10 Years And Died 24hours Later In Horrible / Valentine: IgbereTV Boss, Anyalekwa Gifts Wife Benz C-Class Kompressor (Photos) / My 7 Year Old Nephew Fingered A 3 Year Old Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.