Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? (36704 Views)

Is This What Being A Supportive Husband Means Or Just Plain Stupidity? / Is He Being Wise, Cursed Or Just Wicked? / Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaziblake(f): 1:34pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

That was in the movie titanic
That your business...As for me my my chi nobody will separate us
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 1:34pm On May 26, 2016
kaziblake:
when true love is involved nobody can separate them...
Come on. We are in the real world here. This is not telemundo. Real love or true love or whatever is fostered by many factors which includes and not limits to supports from people who cares about you, most importantly parents; excepts they are bunch of nutjobs.

4 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:36pm On May 26, 2016
Nature129:

You deceived and wasted 12 years of a precious girl's life, and you even have the guts to tell the world? God of love will judge you

How on earth was she supposed to know you would propose to her on your 12th year of relatnshp?

I put it to you that you just fooled her for 12 years!
I just pity some girls that guys like you use love to deceive...smh

Don't blame him...blame the idiotic girl that dates a man for over a decade
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by waternogetemeny: 1:36pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

I think most Yoruba detest marrying themselves ....i am doing a research on this ...there will be a white paper coming out soon

Even the new ooni seff didn't marry a Yoruba he went and married an Edo

Something is missing here

This is serious. They should pack up the language and start speaking Igbo, maybe it will help them to appreciate themselves better.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nature129(m): 1:36pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

I think most Yoruba detest marrying themselves ....i am doing a research on this ...there will be a white paper coming out soon

Even the new ooni seff didn't marry a Yoruba he went and married an Edo

Something is missing here

Onye nsogbu!!!

Your moniker is disgusting

You are indeed a trouble maker grin
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by birdman(m): 1:37pm On May 26, 2016
lovingT:
5yrs Wow. That's a long time to throw away.

Maybe. But its better to lose 5 years than to lose 6 years, or 10 years. Walk away, for your own sanity
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:37pm On May 26, 2016
TheArchangel:
Come on. We are in the real world here. This is not telemundo. Real love or true love or whatever is fostered by many factors which includes and not limits to supports from people who cares about you, most importantly parents; excepts they are bunch of nutjobs.

You see the effect if watching too much telemundo on these girls

True love ..in Africa

I laugh in okutipupa
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:39pm On May 26, 2016
Nature129:

Onye nsogbu!!!

Your moniker is disgusting

You are indeed a trouble maker grin

There is no nsogbu about this

Am I not stating the facts
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:39pm On May 26, 2016
waternogetemeny:

This is serious. They should pack up the language and start speaking Igbo, maybe it will help them to appreciate themselves better.

I will put that as a recommendation
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 1:43pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

You see the effect if watching too much telemundo on these girls

True love ..in Africa

I laugh in okutipupa
Oh yeah!!!
When I read their naive write-ups I laugh. I don't want to spend my productive and precious time learning about any culture, language or cuisines. I have masters and PhD to acquire abeg.

4 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by steppin: 1:45pm On May 26, 2016
dragonking2:
In the past Igbos were not too tribalistic but now Igbos are very tribalistic. Its a big shame embarassed embarassed
Fellow Nigerians have dealt with us na. Our parents are now afraid of giving their support.

9 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by steveben7(m): 1:46pm On May 26, 2016
richyblink1:

Oga, you make it seem like marrying an Igbo man is world war 3. The point you listed there are all meaningless if the man have balls and stand his grounds.

I am igbo while my better half is Akwa Ibom. Yet the sky isn't cracking . The man in question should be able to talk to this parents and make them understand where his happiness lies.

Let's stop encouraging tribalism and encourage one another to resist it gently till it's corrected

For d fact dat your own marriage works out doesn't mean every other will wrk out same way. I had same issue wen I wanted to marry a edo lady I ws adamant at first buh wen I traveled to d east and came bk I found out d edo lady wil nt be able to cope, so my advice is if she can she shuld jus move on

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:47pm On May 26, 2016
TheArchangel:
Oh yeah!!!
When I read their naive write-ups I laugh. I don't want to spend my productive and precious time learning about any culture, language or cuisines. I have masters and PhD to acquire abeg.

Gbam ....i gave up on them
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 1:50pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:
Hello fellow NLs, am at a cross road here....I have been dating this Igbo guy for over 5yrs now, am Yoruba tho but we both didn't see it as a barrier what matters to us is the love and connection between us.....he is well known by my family and accepted too but the problem is his parents...his brothers and sisters are indifferent about it...but his parents frowns against any of them marrying outside Igbo...his kid sis is over 30 and still single cos of this issue.

Wont I be treated like an outcast?? My kids?? Whose MIL or FIL doesn't show up for their son's wedding?? She won't show up for my 'omugwo'??

A part of me thinks I can handle the situation, but then another part is asking me to move on.

Words of advice pls....I really love this guy

Hope u can now take the tons of advice available now dear
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by blessedqueen(f): 1:51pm On May 26, 2016
tomzman:

Bros, 12 years! shocked Respect!
Sorry o but how old was she then, 15 or...?

I got thinking too
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by ayusco85(m): 1:53pm On May 26, 2016
CruellaDeville:
I was once in your shoes so I get where you are coming from.Tribalism will never stop being an issue, some folks refuse to thread the enlightened path. I'll advice you guys to discuss with his parents so that you can find your way if they are adamant because trust me eventually he will cave.

My ex swore heaven and earth that he would stand his ground yet he chose the cowardly way out, got a girl from his side pregnant and left me hanging. Don't underestimate Parental influence . They say it is better to retrace your steps on a lost path...

Wow. What a story. Hw did u survived. That was cruel of him.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by skillzbae(f): 1:58pm On May 26, 2016
Have a heart to heart talk with ur man, be sure he really want this to work as much as u do, I was in ur shoe many years ago, I'm a Yoruba married to an akwa ibom, his parent wanted him to marry Frm dre place bt he was not interested, b4 marriage, I used to av problems with his mum nd sisters, d dad nd brother didn't av any problem, bt with time, every one become happy, nw, my mother in law is my best friend, we gist nd drive to market together. You can make dem love u, dre might b a reason in d past for dre behaviour

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Intrepid01(m): 1:59pm On May 26, 2016
Chinaimporter:
[b][size=13pt]As an igboman who have nothing against other tribes in Nigeria, I will like to ask you to do the right thing by refusing to marry my brother.
We igbos care about out genetic integrity and genetic hygiene so much that we find it difficult to dilute the genes of our progeny with that of people with inferior genetic makeup.
This same thing is happening in the north where the superior Fulani blood is gradually been diluted with threat of the Chadic and Proto kwa inferior elements.
I am a product of a mixed race marriage and my mother is Yoruba. As such I have always hated myself and always quarrel with my father for diluting the blood of eri that flow through my vein with that of the Yoruba race.
It is better for all Africans to allow the igbos remain pure since just like the Germans are helping Europe today,igbos will be the savior of the black race.
I have nothing against other tribes or people but I strongly believe in the blueness of the Igbo blood and I have no problem with people believing in their own blood too.

In other to return my progeny to their initial height, I have decided to marry only a lady from the purest Igbo stock that can be found only in anambra(onitsha inclusive since the few Benin blood have been assimilated and over diluted with obosi and Ogidi material)Enugu state and asaba areas of delta state(agbor exluded due to Benin admixture)....other Igbo state have these kind of people but it is now difficult to detect since a lot of dilution have happened over the years especially in imo[/size][/b]

I will try not to insult you in any way cos you actually need a serious lecture more than bashing. It is evident that you are from an insecured clan which is written all over you. Is it not so rude and demeaning that you think the Igbo blood is superior to that of other blood? I would not address you on behalf of just the Yoruba race; cos we have evolved to know that no race is superior to another race. We have moved up the ladder of evolution to know that individual are rather not genetically different but for the environment and experiences that have fashioned them in to different personalities. It is evident that the Igbos are still far below down the ladder of evolution, for a HUMAN BEING supposedly with his senses intact to have spoo what you wrote up there. I tell you it is enough for the world to give up on you, cos you are definitely a loss. Despite the fact that your Dad was kind enough to dilute your blood to bring your generation up to speed on the ladder of evolution, it is evident that the ever stubborn, strong-headed backward genes of his were still dominant. My dear friend if what you have written up there actually represent your views, my dear you had better go back to your mother's womb so you could be born again, cos this one is a full blown failure already. OMG!!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 26, 2016
Jaygrl:
Hi legalspices,I am an Igbo girl married to a very very wonderful yoruba guy. We dated for 5years+ before tying the knot. I would give you advice as a Sister,I will never have gone into this marriage without both parents blessing. People tell you shebi it is the guy you are getting married to not his parents/his people but that is a big lie. You are married to every single member of his family. His mum or dad shouldn't even hear of it that he offended me,they are so protective of me like I am their daughter and that is the way it should be. Love is not enough,when he misbehaves it is his family that will talk to him and he will listen.

NB: I don't speak yoruba at all,I hear a little.
congrats dear but pray the Yoruba guy don't leave you and Marry another woman, they are very polygamous in nature, I can't marry that tribe.

5 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 2:02pm On May 26, 2016
Vickyydera:
congrats dear but pray the Yoruba guy don't leave you and Marry another woman, they are very polygamous in nature, I can't marry that tribe.

They won't listen
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Ewiss(f): 2:03pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

To you am a tribalist and that is not a bad thing
But to me I am a realist and that is an awesome thing

Everyday here in Nairaland people will complain igbo this igbo that ...it's becoming shameful
They will complain that Igbo won't marry them , therw parents won't let them marry them.

This is sickening and despicable

How many times have you seen an Igbo man or woman cry that the other tribe won't let them marry them

This is such a shameful thing...people throwing their selves on igbo....igbo are just human and this whining should stop

U must be a very stupid guy here n very tribalist. Instead of you to say Igbos r very tribalist u r saying a different thing altogether. Grow up mr igbo man n get some sense into urself

3 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

They won't listen
worst part if the guy should mistakenly die ,the family will join hand and make the wife life miserable , its better to marry from your tribe.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IGLE25(m): 2:05pm On May 26, 2016
Take your time to read what I wrote on there... Right from the very start of the relationship her parents were not in support of relationship but later the mother succumb. She told me that she has to go with her father opinion because of consequences... Read and digest before quoting me.. Thanks for Quoting Anyways...
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by raziboi(m): 2:08pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:
Hello fellow NLs, am at a cross road here....I have been dating this Igbo guy for over 5yrs now, am Yoruba tho but we both didn't see it as a barrier what matters to us is the love and connection between us.....he is well known by my family and accepted too but the problem is his parents...his brothers and sisters are indifferent about it...but his parents frowns against any of them marrying outside Igbo...his kid sis is over 30 and still single cos of this issue.

Wont I be treated like an outcast?? My kids?? Whose MIL or FIL doesn't show up for their son's wedding?? She won't show up for my 'omugwo'??

A part of me thinks I can handle the situation, but then another part is asking me to move on.

my sister if ur man is ready go ahead and marry him
forget de parents!!
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Twinkle004(f): 2:12pm On May 26, 2016
I will advice u 2 have patient & also pray earnestly, if possible seek counsel from those that are spirit filled than u in christ because in marriage u don't only marry d man but with his whole family. There is also an adage that says "u can marry a bad man but don't ever try having a bad husband in laws"..if is God's will he wl change their mind-set...But pls am begging u in name of God, seek 4 spiritual counsels..My parents are a living witness of ur. Circumstances & it wasn't funny..wish d best
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaffy4tope(m): 2:13pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:

My sister....werin u dey find for omo Ibo side? Biafran? Name checkers come talk to our sister oo lol.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 2:18pm On May 26, 2016
kaffy4tope:

My sister....werin u dey find for omo Ibo side? Biafran? Name checkers come talk to our sister oo lol.
Name checkers won't tell her to back off rather they will spend their time hounding on Igbos for being " tribalistic". What the heck. Na by force.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by toprealman: 2:19pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:

from your second paragraph, you are not ready yet.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 2:23pm On May 26, 2016
Vickyydera:
worst part if the guy should mistakenly die ,the family will join hand and make the wife life miserable , its better to marry from your tribe.

That's what they don't know
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by richyblink1(m): 2:23pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Akwa Ibom and Igbo has been marrying ages so why the big deal ....almost the same culture

Since you are Igbo, let me make it easier for you.
Ask what it means for an Anambra man to marry outside his town, not to talk of marrying outside his state and tribe. Are you forgetting this slogan,"mma anyi siri" cheesy
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

I married outside my state and outside east though
Igbo speaking
you married outside East and you are here discouraging inter tribal marriage. isn't that weird?
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 2:27pm On May 26, 2016
raziboi:

my sister if ur man is ready go ahead and marry him
forget de parents!!

Be careful for what you wish

What if your kids forget you in future

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

If You Were Their Mom, What Would Be Your Decision On This Issue? / "7 Truths About Marriage You Will Not Be Told" / Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.