Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? (36701 Views)

Is This What Being A Supportive Husband Means Or Just Plain Stupidity? / Is He Being Wise, Cursed Or Just Wicked? / Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

They don't like hearing the truth ...even in America it's the same thing

I am just sick of Igbo this and that daily

Can they allow igbo breathe
do u expect anyless about a celebrity tribe? they want 2 discuss our marriage preference, our unity ,politics. origin ,geographic position, skin colour,language, accent,anti-islamic stance and evrytin. leave igbos alone!!!

3 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by WaZoBiaLander: 2:29pm On May 26, 2016
Similar issue with a Yoruba girl I know. She dated her Igbo boyfriend all through her University days and they even intended to get married. The guy really wanted to settle down with her but he wasn't financially ready then. The girl was ready to wait for him but her mother refused and threatened that she'd disown her if she should marry an "Omo Igbo." The mother also pushed her to marry a Yoruba guy that was coming for her hand in marriage, not only because the guy was Yoruba but also because he was well-to-do, reminding her daughter of their family condition and how she suffered during her University days. The girl couldn't continue fighting and challenging her mother, she had to give in to her mother's pressure and ended up marrying the guy. After about4 or 5 years of a horrible marriage experience, the girl couldn't bear it anymore and had to run away to Lagos with the the money she could find and her only daughter because her life was beginning to be threatened by her husband.

Now her ex boyfriend who is Igbo but currently resides in Malaysia is still interested in taking the girl back cuz he still loves her, needs her and still feel guilty that it was his fault the girl ended up with such a husband because he wasn't financially ready. The funniest part of it all is that her ex husband is preparing to get married to an IGBO girl, not even a Yoruba girl.

My dear OP, I don't know what exactly to tell you because I won't be there IF the heat starts from the guy's parents after marriage but I'll advise you commit everything to God, seriously pray for God to soften and change the hearts of his parents.

3 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 2:29pm On May 26, 2016
Ewiss:

U must be a very stupid guy here n very tribalist. Instead of you to say Igbos r very tribalist u r saying a different thing altogether. Grow up mr igbo man n get some sense into urself

That one concern u...if Igbo are tribalistic why still date them..abi una girls Toto dey scratch them
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by sammied(m): 2:29pm On May 26, 2016
TheArchangel:
You will make a bad in law. No wonder your intending in laws are refusing vehemently to accept you.
Imagine the venom you are spewing to a tribe your supposed "sweetheart" came out from. I sincerely pray they will refuse to give out their daughter to a bitterly bigoted tribalist like you to save their daughter of impending heart attack.
I am Igbo so bring it on.

Madam of doom.. or whatever you're, it's too late for you... ur prayer is already late.... I don't have more to say to you....
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 26, 2016
Chinaimporter:
[b][size=13pt]As an igboman who have nothing against other tribes in Nigeria, I will like to ask you to do the right thing by refusing to marry my brother.
We igbos care about out genetic integrity and genetic hygiene so much that we find it difficult to dilute the genes of our progeny with that of people with inferior genetic makeup.
This same thing is happening in the north where the superior Fulani blood is gradually been diluted with threat of the Chadic and Proto kwa inferior elements.
I am a product of a mixed race marriage and my mother is Yoruba. As such I have always hated myself and always quarrel with my father for diluting the blood of eri that flow through my vein with that of the Yoruba race.
It is better for all Africans to allow the igbos remain pure since just like the Germans are helping Europe today,igbos will be the savior of the black race.
I have nothing against other tribes or people but I strongly believe in the blueness of the Igbo blood and I have no problem with people believing in their own blood too.
In other to return my progeny to their initial height, I have decided to marry only a lady from the purest Igbo stock that can be found only in anambra(onitsha inclusive since the few Benin blood have been assimilated and over diluted with obosi and Ogidi material)Enugu state and asaba areas of delta state(agbor exluded due to Benin admixture)....other Igbo state have these kind of people but it is now difficult to detect since a lot of dilution have happened over the years especially in imo[/size][/b]
I am an Igbo girl from IMO but to be sincere, this is the most tribalistic comment I have ever set my eyes on.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaka74: 2:32pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:

Well....maybe I felt it isn't a barrier....maybe I felt really comfy with him than a Yoruba guy... why should being Igbo or Yoruba matter?? Are we not all humans?? My is getting married to an Edo babe....mylate mom frowned against it at first...he said she was his choice and she supported him....maybe why I stayed this long was cos I thought his mum could rethink it tru like my mum did

Nnem don't mind him dat z how I follow oppose my elder bro marriage to a yoruba girl from ogun state gosh we were even sayin he marries dat wicked girl he was dating @ home b/4 moving to lag even though we knw dat girl was akpo ,see auntie toyin z an angel Godsent whenever I visit lag I stay with em d woman z good nd u can see 4rm obums face say he dey enjoy marriage so babe no worry if ur father inlaw dem dey form strong head its jst a matter of time dey ill definitely attend ur wedding nd by nine months time idropuo a bouncing baby boy d old man go dey fire I'm dane gun 4 villa dey shout 'onochieeeee' so far as u love d guy nd he z by you no probs #me self I dey find yoruba girl na jst say dem few for onitsha here goodluck nd HML in advance

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 2:33pm On May 26, 2016
tooco:
do u expect anyless about a celebrity tribe? they want 2 discuss our marriage preference, our unity ,politics. origin, skin colour,language, accent,anti-islamic stance and evrytin. leave igbos alone!!!

It's annoying

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 2:35pm On May 26, 2016
Chinaimporter:
[b][size=13pt]As an igboman who have nothing against other tribes in Nigeria, I will like to ask you to do the right thing by refusing to marry my brother.
We igbos care about out genetic integrity and genetic hygiene so much that we find it difficult to dilute the genes of our progeny with that of people with inferior genetic makeup.
This same thing is happening in the north where the superior Fulani blood is gradually been diluted with threat of the Chadic and Proto kwa inferior elements.
I am a product of a mixed race marriage and my mother is Yoruba. As such I have always hated myself and always quarrel with my father for diluting the blood of eri that flow through my vein with that of the Yoruba race.
It is better for all Africans to allow the igbos remain pure since just like the Germans are helping Europe today,igbos will be the savior of the black race.
I have nothing against other tribes or people but I strongly believe in the blueness of the Igbo blood and I have no problem with people believing in their own blood too.
In other to return my progeny to their initial height, I have decided to marry only a lady from the purest Igbo stock that can be found only in anambra(onitsha inclusive since the few Benin blood have been assimilated and over diluted with obosi and Ogidi material)Enugu state and asaba areas of delta state(agbor exluded due to Benin admixture)....other Igbo state have these kind of people but it is now difficult to detect since a lot of dilution have happened over the years especially in imo[/size][/b]

Boy....egbuwara gi isi.idi egwu

3 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 26, 2016
TheArchangel:
You will make a bad in law. No wonder your intending in laws are refusing vehemently to accept you.
Imagine the venom you are spewing to a tribe your supposed "sweetheart" came out from. I sincerely pray they will refuse to give out their daughter to a bitterly bigoted tribalist like you to save their daughter of impending heart attack.
I am Igbo so bring it on.
i tell u nothing really changes in an inter tribal marriage.it doesnt change tribal bigots no matter hw they supress it b4 and during marriage
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 2:37pm On May 26, 2016
sammied:

Madam of doom.. or whatever you're, it's too late for you... ur prayer is already late.... I don't have more to say to you....

Oh come on, you are too childish please.
Let me break it down for you, if you mess up that girl her brothers and parents are coming in for you.

On one hand Igbo is the bane of your existence while on the other you have to beg Igbo parents to give out their daughter for you to marry. Pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 2:39pm On May 26, 2016
tooco:
i tell u nothing really changes in an inter tribal marriage.it doesnt change tribal bigots no matter hw they supress it b4 and during marriage
Low self-esteem is what I am really seeing here. I mean with the level of hatred he has for the Igbos he still has to beg and plead to be married to an Igbo lady, huh. Who does that.

2 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 2:42pm On May 26, 2016
Vickyydera:
I am an Igbo girl from IMO but to be sincere, this is the most tribalistic comment I have ever set my eyes on.
grin grin cheesy
That is an ethnocentric comment taken to a whole new level. The guy is basking on the euphoria of internet freedom.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 26, 2016
its more difficult for a Yoruba to marry Igbo when compared to other tribes, why? its because of the long term feud between Igbo's and Yoruba. they tribe hate each other and again Yoruba's are known for high promiscuity.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by WaZoBiaLander: 2:43pm On May 26, 2016
Odichi:
Wow 5 yrs is a lot. Anyways if d said guy is an Imo ibo there is still hope for u, but if he is Anambra ibo man then ur situation is a hopeless one. cause they don't marry outside their state. Even to marry to other ibo states no easy. Tk

My dear, na true u talk ooo...though not in all cases. Anambra people sometimes find it hard to even marry outside their home town. They hardly marry from Abia and Imo States; some can't even marry from any other Igbo State. If OP's case is that of a typical, traditional, culturally concentrated and conservative Anambra man, then I think I'd support you that her situation could possibly be a hopeless one.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Odunharry(m): 2:44pm On May 26, 2016
Divyne1:
It is very sad that tribe is a reason why a lady will throw away 5years of a good relationship. Who says love is not enough in marriage?? if its not enough, then its not love. Few people marry for love this days, and that is why they have that ideology. People marry whites for gawd sake!!! Love is a two way thing, just make sure you and your partner are on the same page. If his family are traditional, then its its a NO!
lol I. love has only brought them this far, love won't sustain their relationship / marriage forever...
love isn't enough.

What happens to understanding, communication tolerance, forgiveness, respect etc etc?
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by steppin: 2:45pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Boy....egbuwara gi isi.idi egwu
Vickyydera:
If you believe that mofo is Igbo, you'll believe anything. I doubt the op too.
Some people write stories like this to make it look like Igbos are the most tribalistic. But we know better.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 26, 2016
TheArchangel:
Low self-esteem is what I am really seeing here. I mean with the level of hatred he has for the Igbos he still has to beg and plead to be married to an Igbo lady, huh. Who does that.
its simple,u cant eat ur cake and have it.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by sammied(m): 3:02pm On May 26, 2016
TheArchangel:

Lolz... madam come and carry her from my house if he pain you.... her elder brother is one of my best friends.... he's married to a Yoruba lady...

she's married the best man she could ever married....

I do not hate igbos.... I only hate their tribalistic views on issues.... you can love people and not still subscribe to all their views... so I dunno why you're taking paracetamol on another man issues....

whatever you say changes nothing...
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by mikolo80: 3:06pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Love isn't enough in marriage

Move on

What if your son disobey you in future

He isn't the only man ....there are tons of Yoruba men that will marry you

Take this advice
so she should continue the tribalism with her son ba
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by sammied(m): 3:07pm On May 26, 2016
tooco:
its simple,u cant eat ur cake and have it.

Oga... I have already eaten all the cakes and I still have it....

so I dunno what you're talking about... I only spoke on igbos tribalistic views.... na you de misinterpret my post come de carry am for head....

50% of my friends are igbo.... it doesn't mean I agree with all their views especially on the tribalism part....

I am for peace not hatred... hating people's views doesn't mean you hate them....
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by mikolo80: 3:08pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:
Advice is when we know the truth in our heart yet we want to be told something else

Madam,marrying him is one thing and fighting the war that will come is another

In Igbo land ....you don't just marry a man you marry the family. Can you stand the hit...what if trouble comes in the marriage ..who do you run to? We know that trouble comes in the marriage. How will you feel if your mother in-law isn't talking to your mother

Get ready for the war
Left for me stay away and don't marry that dude

Love isn't enough in marriage ....the main thing is compatibility and it seems culturally and psychologically you guys lack it

This is to avoid had i known

Will you be able to join umuada
Will you be able to identify ogiri isi for his mother
Will you be able to tuo nja
Will you be able to re ure for umunna

Think well don't let prick do the thinking for u

That's all
na true sha
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by mikolo80: 3:12pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:
Hello fellow NLs, am at a cross road here....I have been dating this Igbo guy for over 5yrs now, am Yoruba tho but we both didn't see it as a barrier what matters to us is the love and connection between us.....he is well known by my family and accepted too but the problem is his parents...his brothers and sisters are indifferent about it...but his parents frowns against any of them marrying outside Igbo...his kid sis is over 30 and still single cos of this issue.

Wont I be treated like an outcast?? My kids?? Whose MIL or FIL doesn't show up for their son's wedding?? She won't show up for my 'omugwo'??

A part of me thinks I can handle the situation, but then another part is asking me to move on.

Words of advice pls....I really love this guy
ask him to choose .
his reaction will tell you which side he is on.
and go and beg the parents so that you will know their reason and you can try to assuage their fears.
or "bribe" them(with good wife behaviour) cos a parents have huge influence on their kids
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kingdavidG(m): 3:14pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:
Advice is when we know the truth in our heart yet we want to be told something else

Madam,marrying him is one thing and fighting the war that will come is another

In Igbo land ....you don't just marry a man you marry the family. Can you stand the hit...what if trouble comes in the marriage ..who do you run to? We know that trouble comes in the marriage. How will you feel if your mother in-law isn't talking to your mother

Get ready for the war
Left for me stay away and don't marry that dude

Love isn't enough in marriage ....the main thing is compatibility and it seems culturally and psychologically you guys lack it

This is to avoid had i known

Will you be able to join umuada
Will you be able to identify ogiri isi for his mother
Will you be able to tuo nja
Will you be able to re ure for umunna

Think well don't let prick do the thinking for u

That's all

What sort of RUBBISH is this? People who cherish Unity and Peaceful co-existence doesn't talk this way, I referred to this as RUBBISH because I examined to see if I can find a reasonable point, but unfortunately I couldn't find any. All these "Will you... Will you... Will you..." are targeted at creating negative impression and building tension and fright, which is RUBBISH. Those rites attached to the "Will you(s)" are nothing and lacks the capacity to be a burden or thing of concern. I BE ORIGINAL IGBO BOY, those things ain't Big Deal. Being ignorant of their meaning has been use as tool to create fright.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Chinaimporter: 3:17pm On May 26, 2016
Vickyydera:

But you know that I am right

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 3:30pm On May 26, 2016
sammied:

Lolz... madam come and carry her from my house if he pain you.... her elder brother is one of my best friends.... he's married to a Yoruba lady...

she's married the best man she could ever married....

I do not hate igbos.... I only hate their tribalistic views on issues.... you can love people and not still subscribe to all their views... so I dunno why you're taking paracetamol on another man issues....

whatever you say changes nothing...
You're soft pedalling now but you were spewing molten magma on Igbos earlier. There is a level of disconnect between your previous Igbo generalisation post and this.

Igbo " tribalistic " view will never change as long as we are lump up together in this country. So just try to deal with it.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by CoolAmbience(m): 3:32pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:
Hello fellow NLs, am at a cross road here....I have been dating this Igbo guy for over 5yrs now, am Yoruba tho but we both didn't see it as a barrier what matters to us is the love and connection between us.....he is well known by my family and accepted too but the problem is his parents...his brothers and sisters are indifferent about it...but his parents frowns against any of them marrying outside Igbo...his kid sis is over 30 and still single cos of this issue.

Wont I be treated like an outcast?? My kids?? Whose MIL or FIL doesn't show up for their son's wedding?? She won't show up for my 'omugwo'??

A part of me thinks I can handle the situation, but then another part is asking me to move on.

Words of advice pls....I really love this guy

The fact that you didn't remark about him being overly yielding to his family or indecisive in continuing with the relationship demonstrates that you got a real man there.

The situation you are in is commonplace in our society. I think tagging it a 'cross-road' is slightly exaggerative. As you said, being indifferent means that they are 'unconcerned' about who he decides to marry.

Did his family specifically state that they will never accompany him to see your family? Are you completely shut out by his family? I am from the SE, though have lived in virtually every region of Nigeria, and I very well know how some of our mothers 'stereotype' people from the SW and SS, calling them names like 'Ofe Mmanu' and 'Mba Mmiri. People from other parts of the country are also guilty of this.

My wife is from the SS and went through same but today she's everyone's pal in my family and everyone is happy. I advice that you follow your heart and put your happiness above every consideration. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kingdavidG(m): 3:35pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Women are chased not the other way round ..there is what is called dignity .. this has nothing to do with comfy or not

Take a walk and maintain your dignity...it seems you are throwing yourself on him....but why are you not comfy with Yoruba man ?

Just asking maybe I can ascertain why Yoruba women wants to marry igbo men

You are just a TRIBALIST and besides go and re-read the post if you wouldn't mind. There was never a time the post said she was throwing herself on him rather she said the guy loved and accepted her but that the parents disapproved of it, so the problem is not about the guy, stop asking her whether there is no Yoruba guy that is 'husbandable',. I see you and that her guy's family are of the same view.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 26, 2016
sammied:

Oga... I have already eaten all the cakes and I still have it....

so I dunno what you're talking about... I only spoke on igbos tribalistic views.... na you de misinterpret my post come de carry am for head....

50% of my friends are igbo.... it doesn't mean I agree with all their views especially on the tribalism part....

I am for peace not hatred... hating people's views doesn't mean you hate them....
oga shift one side, i dont remember quoting u.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by fairheven: 3:57pm On May 26, 2016
i personally think marrying from ones tribe is soo so boring ...i should marry someone that would teach me some culture and tradition i dont know not the one i already know.

3 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by bezimo(m): 4:00pm On May 26, 2016
I have heard many tales of igbo folks not marrying outside their tribe.I can comfirm that it is true except in infinitesimal few cases.So if you boo is igbo and you are not from there begin to identify a viable plan B option outside the igbo race.
Make igbo folks stop those archaic stuff, igbo parents should allow their children choose who ever they want to love and be with like it is obtained in most developed societies.

Though when my bro wanted to marry an igbo girl, my parents raised a few eyebrows and expressed their reservation, but my bro insisted and my parents caved in and allowed him be.

I hope that your guy is man enough to stand his ground beforé his parents.If you are not sure it might be better to move on.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Amhappy(f): 4:11pm On May 26, 2016
My sister,the truth is that if his parents did not accept you,the war you will face in that house will make u forget the definition of love. Love is not enough for a marriage to be successful. The pressure will be too much on ur man esp if he's the first son. My sincere advice is;
-Pray together about it. Two cannot work together unless they agree says the Bible.
-Let ur man visit his parents and raise the issue again. If they are still adamant,he should approach an elderly uncle (a man older or age mate with his dad) for help. Let him pls tell them that 'the Yoruba girl no jazz am,because I tell it dey their mind. He can also talk to their pastor or Rev. If he persists with love and respect,he will win them over.
If you guys decide to go the 'parents cannot dictate for me route' then be ready for lack of peace of mind in ur marriage and at the end ur man will still blame you as if you forced him. And if you have any challenge like delay in child bearing (but God forbid) sorry will be your name.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by bezimo(m): 4:13pm On May 26, 2016
If a man allows his family to choose his bride, is it the family that would run his home after marriage?

A man must be firm in his choice and be ready to take responsibility for the outcome. That is the first characteristics of a likely responsible husband.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

If You Were Their Mom, What Would Be Your Decision On This Issue? / "7 Truths About Marriage You Will Not Be Told" / Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.