Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,123 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? (36697 Views)

Is This What Being A Supportive Husband Means Or Just Plain Stupidity? / Is He Being Wise, Cursed Or Just Wicked? / Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Chukazu: 4:23pm On May 26, 2016
that juju that would make me marry from my tribe and miss out from the beautiful diversity of this multi-culturally amazing country will never succeed.

beauty in diversity
must marry outside my tribe

5 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by salvation77177: 4:24pm On May 26, 2016
Madam, you have to go into serious prayers. Parental consent in marriage can not be overlooked. Make sure you are really convinced before taking any decision.
But while will some one stay in a relationship for five years that one of the parents is not in agreement? Sometimes, I wonder most single men and women misbehave when it comes to the matter of marriage of a thing.
Marrying a person means marrying the entire family and not just the man or the woman only.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by blessedqueen(f): 4:33pm On May 26, 2016
skillzbae:
Have a heart to heart talk with ur man, be sure he really want this to work as much as u do, I was in ur shoe many years ago, I'm a Yoruba married to an akwa ibom, his parent wanted him to marry Frm dre place bt he was not interested, b4 marriage, I used to av problems with his mum nd sisters, d dad nd brother didn't av any problem, bt with time, every one become happy, nw, my mother in law is my best friend, we gist nd drive to market together. You can make dem love u, dre might b a reason in d past for dre behaviour

Thank u dear

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by thorpido(m): 4:40pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:

I raally do want to make it work....but this Igbo FAM has a way of turning things around and thats my fear
You didn't say anything about your fiance's stance thus far?How adamant is he that it's you he wants?
If his parents are the traditional igbo people,I'll advise you to move on.
Prayers can change things if this indeed is the Lord's will for you.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Chukazu: 4:46pm On May 26, 2016
johnsonjosbles:
op, run 4ur life, I'm yoruba man married to hausa lady, I never experience any problem but you see igbo brothers are too tribalisic about everything, they will do everything to frustrate ur life if u insist. Trust me.

we don hear naa...how many times you talk am?
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Chukazu: 4:57pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Do you realise that Igbo language is a difficult language and it takes years to master igbo....which dialect woukd she learn

That's why it's hard to see non igbo speak Igbo language ...it's a difficult language ...she should kwado maka ogo Na abia

Wetin concern me

Maka makwara

I don't really support asking the lady to learn igbo because of marriage, its good but not pre-requisite.
but also saying igbo language is difficult is a fallacy.. its not more difficult than any language, its a mindset problem.
..just were are Everly ready to learn and adapt to others language but others....
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Jaygrl(f): 5:00pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Tell am....i am...i have shouted and she won't hear

I am married for over 6 yrs now

She still won't hear
grin
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Jaygrl(f): 5:07pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:

Thanks a bunch really preciate....u said it all
You are welcome dear,you can PM me if need be. kiss
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nwiboko26(f): 5:11pm On May 26, 2016
My dear is better for u to throw away ur five yrs relationship than for u to wallow in misery till eternity.so that u wl live longer.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by johnsonjosbles(m): 5:24pm On May 26, 2016
Chukazu:

we don hear naa...how many times you talk am?
I talk am once oh, na qout you dey there dey read.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

To you am a tribalist and that is not a bad thing
But to me I am a realist and that is an awesome thing

Everyday here in Nairaland people will complain igbo this igbo that ...it's becoming shameful
They will complain that Igbo won't marry them , therw parents won't let them marry them.

This is sickening and despicable

How many times have you seen an Igbo man or woman cry that the other tribe won't let them marry them

This is such a shameful thing...people throwing their selves on igbo....igbo are just human and this whining should stop
as a fellow igbo, please stop. u r coming off as tribalistic, insensitive and uncouth. if you can't be polite while sharing your 'advice' (which is not even a good one imho) then leave the thread.
@op, take the advice of those who are married to people from other tribes themselves. they know better.

5 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Tijay90(m): 5:34pm On May 26, 2016
Contrary to what many think,when you marry someone,you marry that person ALONE...Not his/her family...you've got two options: Get married(if you both wanna), or: end an otherwise wonderful relationship because of tribal (perhaps religious) bigotry...the choice is yours.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 5:45pm On May 26, 2016
Gabby91:

as a fellow igbo, please stop. u r coming off as tribalistic, insensitive and uncouth. if you can't be polite while sharing your 'advice' (which is not even a good one imho) then leave the thread.
@op, take the advice of those who are married to people from other tribes themselves. they know better.

Fellow igbo keep your advice to yourself ....i have the right to air .y views

Buzz off
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by TheArchangel(f): 5:46pm On May 26, 2016
Tijay90:
Contrary to what many think,when you marry someone,you marry that person ALONE...Not his/her family...you've got two options: Get married(if you both wanna), or: end an otherwise wonderful relationship because of tribal (perhaps religious) bigotry...the choice is yours.
I guess you are yet to step foot into marital life.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 5:46pm On May 26, 2016
kingdavidG:

You are just a TRIBALIST and besides go and re-read the post if you wouldn't mind. There was never a time the post said she was throwing herself on him rather she said the guy loved and accepted her but that the parents disapproved of it, so the problem is not about the guy, stop asking her whether there is no Yoruba guy that is 'husbandable',. I see you and that her guy's family are of the same view.

I am a TRIBALIST and also a REALIST ...so do you have any other thing to say

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 5:48pm On May 26, 2016
kingdavidG:

What sort of RUBBISH is this? People who cherish Unity and Peaceful co-existence doesn't talk this way, I referred to this as RUBBISH because I examined to see if I can find a reasonable point, but unfortunately I couldn't find any. All these "Will you... Will you... Will you..." are targeted at creating negative impression and building tension and fright, which is RUBBISH. Those rites attached to the "Will you(s)" are nothing and lacks the capacity to be a burden or thing of concern. I BE ORIGINAL IGBO BOY, those things ain't Big Deal. Being ignorant of their meaning has been use as tool to create fright.

Original igbo
Orijin drink

Your eyes see what they want to see

What I have written stays

Gbafuo

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 5:49pm On May 26, 2016
mikolo80:
na true sha

No mind them
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by joanana(f): 5:50pm On May 26, 2016
richyblink1:

Oga, you make it seem like marrying an Igbo man is world war 3. The point you listed there are all meaningless if the man have balls and stand his grounds.

I am igbo while my better half is Akwa Ibom. Yet the sky isn't cracking . The man in question should be able to talk to this parents and make them understand where his happiness lies.

Let's stop encouraging tribalism and encourage one another to resist it gently till it's corrected

You have said it all..op your man should stand his ground and talk to his parents. Being Igbo and Yoruba is the least of your problems. Your fiancé's family should accept you, if they do not my advice is that you should walk away and by Gods Grace a better man will find you.

My fiancé is Yoruba and m Igbo, he's not catholic and m catholic and we r getting married before the end of this year. My dear, my mum was against it at first ,l talk to her that this is where my happiness lies and its him and no one else, I explained to my family and they understand.

Op put it in prayers , believe and faith . There's nothing GOD cannot do. That's my 2 cents sha!
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 5:50pm On May 26, 2016
Vickyydera:
you married outside East and you are here discouraging inter tribal marriage. isn't that weird?

Outside east but still have Igbo speaking in Delta , Rivers even Edo state ....the bottom line is that they are Igbo speaking and same culture and they are outside east
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 26, 2016
to ikpummadu and his ilk, tribe? race? God is watching us so called Christians. all I know is acts 10:34 says 'At this Peter began to speak, and he said: “Now I truly understand that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.
u should focus on compatibility, communication and other important factors not tribe.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by DedeNkem: 6:01pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:
Hello fellow NLs, am at a cross road here....I have been dating this Igbo guy for over 5yrs now, am Yoruba tho but we both didn't see it as a barrier what matters to us is the love and connection between us.....he is well known by my family and accepted too but the problem is his parents...his brothers and sisters are indifferent about it...but his parents frowns against any of them marrying outside Igbo...his kid sis is over 30 and still single cos of this issue.

Wont I be treated like an outcast?? My kids?? Whose MIL or FIL doesn't show up for their son's wedding?? She won't show up for my 'omugwo'??

A part of me thinks I can handle the situation, but then another part is asking me to move on.

Words of advice pls....I really love this guy

5yrs is not maimai.

You're worried about things that haven't happened yet, simply because your guy's parents don't like the relationship.

As long as you love him and he loves you, his parents will definitely come around. Parents always come around, especially, if you have great attitude.

You should be glad that his siblings don't have issues with the relationship and don't give a f*uck about ethnicity. Instead of thinking about ending the relationship, you should rather focus on ways to establish a good rapport with his parents.

Don't f*uck with your relationship because of his parents. If you end it to move on, then it would mean you're unfit to handle difficulties that do arise sometimes in a relationship.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by naijaobi(m): 6:13pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Oga what is meaningless

Let us start encouraging people marrying their likes ...it's not a nive thing disobeying parents just to marry

We will all be parents someday so why will you advise somebody to disobey

And why should a lady throw herself on a man that his family doesn't want her...there should be dignity

Why can't the lady simply walk away and let the man sort this thing out of he really wants

This is shameful a lady comes to public forum to lament about Igbo man not marrying her...for Christ sake sue can find men in her tribe or is her tribal men not marriage material

This is shameful ..and for a lady for that matter ...we know husbands are scarce but there should be dignity NAA

A man should be the one doing the chasing .....

You are talking thrash. Are u sure you are Igbo or were u joking? So she should instead go and marry a yoruba guy she doesn't love just because the guy's parents accept her? Smh4u

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Ngozi123(f): 6:27pm On May 26, 2016
I think that the op already knows what path she should take in this matter; she just doesn't want to admit it to herself. You needn't seek advice on such an intimate matter online as the posters of Nairaland won't be the ones who'll be involved in your marriage. As for the guy's parents, it could go either way with them, they may eventually soften their stance on you or they may remain resolute with it. No one can predict the future but I would be lying if I did not tell you that your marriage will be based on a weaker foundation than it should be due to the lack of support from his family. In this day and age, married couples need as much support as possible. If you and your partner are prepared to take on this challenge then I pray that God blesses your union but if not, I pray that both you and him find people that will not cause you as many problems in the future.

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 6:41pm On May 26, 2016
naijaobi:

You are talking thrash. Are u sure you are Igbo or were u joking? So she should instead go and marry a yoruba guy she doesn't love just because the guy's parents accept her? Smh4u

Are u done?

Next !!!!

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 6:43pm On May 26, 2016
Ngozi123:
I think that the op already knows what path she should take in this matter; she just doesn't want to admit it to herself. You needn't seek advice on such an intimate matter online as the posters of Nairaland won't be the ones who'll be involved in your marriage. As for the guy's parents, it could go either way with them, they may eventually soften their stance on you or they may remain resolute with it. No one can predict the future but I would be lying if I did not tell you that your marriage will based on a weaker foundation than it should be due to the lack of support from his family. In this day and age, married couples need as much support as possible. If you and your partner are prepared to take on this challenge then I pray that God blesses your union but if not, I pray that both you and him find people that will not cause you as many problems in the future.

CHUKWU gozie gi

She knows the truth but wants us to tell her the truth and I did that sufficiently

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 6:45pm On May 26, 2016
Gabby91:
to ikpummadu and his ilk, tribe? race? God is watching us so called Christians. all I know is acts 10:34 says 'At this Peter began to speak, and he said: “Now I truly understand that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.
u should focus on compatibility, communication and other important factors not tribe.
I gave an advise that's all .....okay do you want me to tell him to encourage the guy to disobey the parents

God forbid

Bible said ...respect your parents for they are the god you see on earth
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by IkpuMmadu: 6:50pm On May 26, 2016
richyblink1:

Oga, you make it seem like marrying an Igbo man is world war 3. The point you listed there are all meaningless if the man have balls and stand his grounds.

I am igbo while my better half is Akwa Ibom. Yet the sky isn't cracking . The man in question should be able to talk to this parents and make them understand where his happiness lies.

Let's stop encouraging tribalism and encourage one another to resist it gently till it's corrected

There area lot of similarities
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by sammied(m): 7:11pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

I gave an advise that's all .....okay do you want me to tell him to encourage the guy to disobey the parents

God forbid

Bible said ...respect your parents for they are the god you see on earth

which Bible did you get that quote from? they're the god you see on earth? be careful the way you add to the Bible all in the name of adding weight to ur personal opinions...

there's already a laid down eternal divine cause to those who add to God's word....

1 Like

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by Saintp(m): 7:14pm On May 26, 2016
sammied:

you see.... other tribes are not as myopic as igbos...tribalism is the reason igbo have produced no quality leaders in Nigeria, the world is a global village, when you cannot easily relate and accept others, you automatically lose out... all the shout about been segregated in Nigeria by igbos... what has it produced? nothing!

most of this tribalistic igbos does not even know their village, if not for the open minded nature of other tribes accepting them into their lands they wouldn't have amount to anything....

the earlier igbos wake up from their tribalistic snoring sleep... the better for them....

Someone who reads your post would think that this kind of thing can't happen in youruba families. Would you swear with your life that every yoruba family will accept an igbo inlaw?
You people should learn to treat each case on its merit instead of capitalizing on it to generalize. Have you heard all stories involving inter tribal marriage?
Okay, will you say yorubas are tribalist since some yoruba landlords will never rent thier house to an igbo person? My friend, there is no perfect tribe. get that into your head.

5 Likes

Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by avril9(f): 7:25pm On May 26, 2016
legalspices:
Hello fellow NLs, am at a cross road here....I have been dating this Igbo guy for over 5yrs now, am Yoruba tho but we both didn't see it as a barrier what matters to us is the love and connection between us.....he is well known by my family and accepted too but the problem is his parents...his brothers and sisters are indifferent about it...but his parents frowns against any of them marrying outside Igbo...his kid sis is over 30 and still single cos of this issue.

Wont I be treated like an outcast?? My kids?? Whose MIL or FIL doesn't show up for their son's wedding?? She won't show up for my 'omugwo'??

A part of me thinks I can handle the situation, but then another part is asking me to move on.

Words of advice pls....I really love this guy
I alwayz tell ppl dat love is not enuff wen it comes to d issue of marrige,other factors shud b considered right from courtship.if after spending 5yrs wit him n his parents view hasn't changed den changes are it will neva change,so move on though it wud b hard n I wudnt advice u to separate d son from his folks. They even do it to their own child not to talk of u a stranger.
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by kaziblake(f): 7:34pm On May 26, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Fellow igbo keep your advice to yourself ....i have the right to air .y views

Buzz off
How old are you?
Re: Ethnicity Difference: Should I Stay Or Just Move On Already?? by ghuzy01: 7:49pm On May 26, 2016
Ngozi123:
I think that the op already knows what path she should take in this matter; she just doesn't want to admit it to herself. You needn't seek advice on such an intimate matter online as the posters of Nairaland won't be the ones who'll be involved in your marriage. As for the guy's parents, it could go either way with them, they may eventually soften their stance on you or they may remain resolute with it. No one can predict the future but I would be lying if I did not tell you that your marriage will based on a weaker foundation than it should be due to the lack of support from his family. In this day and age, married couples need as much support as possible. If you and your partner are prepared to take on this challenge then I pray that God blesses your union but if not, I pray that both you and him find people that will not cause you as many problems in the future.
Ngozi , ur smart...I love the way you reason.well said.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Woman Talks About Killing Her Adulterous Husband On Social Media / Nigerian Man Drops Bundles Of 100 Dollar Bills For His Child To Play With.Photos / If You Were Their Mom, What Would Be Your Decision On This Issue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.