Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,412 members, 7,815,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? (29446 Views)

Man Marries Lady Impregnated By Another Man. Finds Out After Marriage (Photos) / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by bg0074real(m): 7:39pm On Jul 10, 2016
Islamically, woman can maintain their fathers name
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Arijude(m): 7:41pm On Jul 10, 2016
MizTyna:

Your last statement is one more reason I will not take any man's name
I laugh. To ba ri bee oya, e muran lati joko si n'ile baba e titi l'aye e.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by vision2050: 7:42pm On Jul 10, 2016
as a man I will permit it; my Secretary cant receive her salary for the last two months because her Bvn name is differ from her name and not long she do change of name.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by edbor(m): 7:42pm On Jul 10, 2016
my mum dropped her maiden name which is a very prominent name to answer my dad's which no one knows . . let me see the lady that will voice that nonsense of keeping her maiden name, let it be dangote self.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by butanep(m): 7:43pm On Jul 10, 2016
safarigirl:
gerrout abeg. There are many married successful women who bear their fsther's name.

Where is it stated that a woman should give up her father's name because she's married? Who made that a law?

If i made it with my dad's name, i will have to use it till i die. Women like Chimamanda haven't changed their maiden name cuz that is her TRADEMARK. We know that most of you don't grasp that. You want to possess a human being wholly as if that's possible. Why not change yout name to hers? After all, the bible says "... A man shall LEAVE his father and mother and CLING to his wife"... so who suppose change name?

Who paid the bride price?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Missyetty(f): 7:43pm On Jul 10, 2016
Arijude:
Then marry your dad.
Yeah, thanks
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Toluwani111: 7:43pm On Jul 10, 2016
lawlahbammy:

Itel 1508- #17,000
Thanks but have you once used it ?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by butanep(m): 7:44pm On Jul 10, 2016
safarigirl:
gerrout abeg. There are many married successful women who bear their fsther's name.

Where is it stated that a woman should give up her father's name because she's married? Who made that a law?

If i made it with my dad's name, i will have to use it till i die. Women like Chimamanda haven't changed their maiden name cuz that is her TRADEMARK. We know that most of you don't grasp that. You want to possess a human being wholly as if that's possible. Why not change yout name to hers? After all, the bible says "... A man shall LEAVE his father and mother and CLING to his wife"... so who suppose change name?

Who paid the bride price? Woman should start paying groom price as well
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Raphafire101: 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2016
It's totally optional, as far as na my papa train me for school nothing like change of name, except in meetings....like my husband's community meeting..
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Missyetty(f): 7:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
butanep:
so your husband is not an important figure abi?
And who said he is not important, dn't misquote me please.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by butanep(m): 7:49pm On Jul 10, 2016
cocoama:
I don't see it as such a big deal if she decides to add her maiden surname to her husband's name.

I guess I have been lucky to date men that are not bothered by such trivial matters and are very open minded.

For those that have a problem with it just make sure that you let ur lady know from day 1. Adding her maiden name to her husband surname should be the least of worries when it comes to marriage.

You have been lucky to date men... how many men have you dated or will you date before getting married. you have really collected enough pennnniss. Lol

There is big difference between dating and marriage. So get it right. The fact a guy is flexible to you when dating you doesn't mean he will be same after marriage.

Go and marry jare
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
Joy1706:
Look at them. Small men suffering from small peniss syndrome. There's nothing to permit. It's MY decision if I decide to keep the surname I've been known with all my life.
i don't wana say something trashy to u.. But hey don't u ever use that same mouth to tarnish d dignity of anyman becuase u don't agree with dem. I just hope u r a NUN.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 10, 2016
Thunderlicious:

Then get ready to pass menopause with no husband.
God bless u for that sentence.. Can u imagine? My choice gini? Na u d marry me abi na me d marry u? I don't just know when this immature creatures will stop calling theirselves women, its an insult to d real women out there.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Ayomide93(m): 7:56pm On Jul 10, 2016
Who cares. Personally, I prefer she retains her father's name. I don't have any issue with whatever name she decides to bear.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 10, 2016
AntiWailer:

Wickid
he just said d truth, so nothing wicked there.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Megaideas(f): 8:03pm On Jul 10, 2016
It's for her and her husband to decide. However they prefer, let them do and it's nobody's business.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 10, 2016
Thunderlicious:

Then get ready to pass menopause with no husband.

The women already doing that are married. I'm sure she will too

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by oshaosha2014(m): 8:17pm On Jul 10, 2016
You and the person wey you quote make sense. una response mature gaan.

vodutive:

Sensible comment as opposed to the woman/girl earlier who said it is "her decision" as if the marriage is about one person. I have no problem with it personally particularly when there are no male siblings

It's not a big deal but if a woman INSISTS on keeping her maiden name or feels it is HER decision and hers alone, then you wonder if she is really ready for marriage or she just like the idea of being married and having kids.....which is the root of many marital problems.

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by JSoE(f): 8:22pm On Jul 10, 2016
The same reason why I'd be keeping my family name 'IF' I happen to consider getting married.Sometimes,Nigerian men are unbelievable.'I won't permit it bla,blah,blah...' Who getting married to y'all help sef? Life is all about fun not desperation.You could go piss on yourself if you don't like it.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Ralphdan(m): 8:23pm On Jul 10, 2016
Joy1706:
Look at them. Small men suffering from small peniss syndrome. There's nothing to permit. It's MY decision if I decide to keep the surname I've been known with all my life.

Hmmmm nawao na xo e pain u rech?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by oshaosha2014(m): 8:23pm On Jul 10, 2016
What you are trying to trivialize is what is very very important to some other people. The fact that they don't see things the way you do don't make them "closed-minded." Some things you will never be comfortable with even though it is generally accepted: does it make you closed-minded. If we all accepted this maiden name of a thing won't it be all boring. Respect other people view.

cocoama:
I don't see it as such a big deal if she decides to add her maiden surname to her husband's name.

I guess I have been lucky to date men that are not bothered by such trivial matters and are very open minded.

For those that have a problem with it just make sure that you let ur lady know from day 1. Adding her maiden name to her husband surname should be the least of worries when it comes to marriage.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by OlafenwaMoses(m): 8:29pm On Jul 10, 2016
Joy1706:

It remains just a bit of sense for you to attain wisdom.. I wonder what genitals has to do with name issues....
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by oshaosha2014(m): 8:30pm On Jul 10, 2016
So many forward thinking people wouldn't mind being the husbands of their husbands since we are in the era of "forward" thinking.

Notyourb1tch:
Some women do it as its a part of their identity, sometimes for career as you may be well known by your surname, famous or popular family etc etc.

I wouldn't want to marry a man anyways who would have a problem with something small like me keeping my maiden name. This is a clear indication that he is very backwards in thinking and most likely than not we would have a lot of issues and fights about other stuff.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by OlafenwaMoses(m): 8:31pm On Jul 10, 2016
ronald4ever:
I actually like the praxis. A woman doesn't have to give up her identity just coz she got married. Using of her maiden name together with the hubby's is appropriate. That way one can easily identify her in-case they come across her name somewhere.

Please why do men pay bride price and not the other way round?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by OlafenwaMoses(m): 8:32pm On Jul 10, 2016
januzaj:
it ain't our fault that you are suffering from extra large v*gina syndrome

Both of you are parallel angles...
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by MizTyna(f): 8:33pm On Jul 10, 2016
Arijude:
I laugh. To ba ri bee oya, e muran lati joko si n'ile baba e titi l'aye e.

And you think all men care about that? You'll be surprised only very few men care about that. I don't know why names will bother anyone about marriage when bigger things should matter. To each his own sha
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by oshaosha2014(m): 8:33pm On Jul 10, 2016
mind you, "open mind" you all misuse because someone doesn't agree with your ideology could either be productive or counter-productive.
Notyourb1tch:
She doesn't need to marry her dad. There are a lot of open minded men out there who have no issues with this. People should just date who they have common ground with
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by OlafenwaMoses(m): 8:34pm On Jul 10, 2016
ebudera:
Wats d big deal in it, its wat I ve been knw 4 all my life & I shuld jst throw it away cos am married?

No way will do

Why must your husband pay bride price then?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by oshaosha2014(m): 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2016
in otherwords, na dem no dey allow woman control dem like mumu. you are right.

missyadorable:
The issue of change of name was among the first thing I made known to be husband(then fiance)

I hyphenated my family name with my husband's(Barr(Mrs)J....-N....)
That's my identity and he is cool with it

The funny part is that these "little boys" who are outrageously against retaining/hyphenating maiden names really got nothing to offer apart from small penisssss.
Na dem broke pass
Na dem get bad character pass

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by OlafenwaMoses(m): 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2016
mikaelzX:
It's her choice if she wishes to. i think it's even wrong to change her surname completely.

As it is wrong asking a prospective husband for Bride price... Or is she a being bought like a ram? or paying for traditions?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by SHAIBULIAR: 8:42pm On Jul 10, 2016
Berlyn:
news no dey today wahlai angry undecided
nairaland dey dry pass Sahara desert
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by oshaosha2014(m): 8:42pm On Jul 10, 2016
Dem no force you marry now. why e dey pain you like this. must everybody agree with what the woman thinks is right?
JSoE:
The same reason why I'd be keeping my family name 'IF' I happen to consider getting married.Sometimes,Nigerian men are unbelievable.'I won't permit it bla,blah,blah...' Who getting married to y'all help sef? Life is all about fun not desperation.You could go piss on yourself if you don't like it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Behaviors To Avoid While Waiting To Marry / My Neighbor Beats His Wife And Kids Daily, What Can I do? / And There Shall Be 7 Women To 1 Man.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.