Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? (29453 Views)

Man Marries Lady Impregnated By Another Man. Finds Out After Marriage (Photos) / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by kandiikane(m): 8:44pm On Jul 10, 2016
Thunderlicious:

Then get ready to pass menopause with no husband.
In many cultures, women can retain their names if they want to, the decision is totally up them, changing name in Africa was brought to you by the white man.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by JSoE(f): 8:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
oshaosha2014:
Dem no force you marry now. why e dey pain you like this. must everybody agree with what the woman thinks is right?

Don't spar with me,young man.As you see me so,I'm not ready to chop ban because of you.So, shat da fvck up and don't quote me again,OK sweetie?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by just2okworld(f): 8:56pm On Jul 10, 2016
ronald4ever:
I actually like the praxis. A woman doesn't have to give up her identity just coz she got married. Using of her maiden name together with the hubby's is appropriate. That way one can easily identify her in-case they come across her name somewhere.

Impressed this is coming from a man

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by enoch273: 9:00pm On Jul 10, 2016
Joy1706:
Look at them. Small men suffering from small peniss syndrome. There's nothing to permit. It's MY decision if I decide to keep the surname I've been known with all my life.

Suffering from bore hole pussy syndrome, just stay in your fathers house and get old with his properties.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by ypeace: 9:07pm On Jul 10, 2016
kandiikane:

In many cultures, women can retain their names if they want to, the decision is totally up them, changing name in Africa was brought to you by the white man.
it seems not many people here knows it is a western culture imported to Nigeria as a result of colonialism. It is even a 'Christian thing' as any Muslim doing such could be said to lack in dept knowledge of his religion..........

I don't think I will even support my wife to hyphenate her surname not to talk of changing it patapata.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Omotayor123(f): 9:20pm On Jul 10, 2016
Joy1706:
Look at them. Small men suffering from small peniss syndrome. There's nothing to permit. It's MY decision if I decide to keep the surname I've been known with all my life.
No mind them my dear.
I plan to keep my father's name after marriage and no man can change that. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by MrTY(m): 9:35pm On Jul 10, 2016
Toluwani111:
GREAT NAIRALANDERS!

please Advice me

I want to buy a android phone with quality camera, long last battery, rugged, 4.5 inches or 5 inches, removable battery, Can carry large number of applications
Which one best suites that specifications.
NB: my budget is #15,000- #18,000
kindly QUOTE ME with your suggestion.
Thanks

Quality and cheap dont walk together BUT Homton HT3 is reliable. Ask tyconcepts in tech section.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by no1madman(m): 9:36pm On Jul 10, 2016
ebudera:
Wats d big deal in it, its wat I ve been knw 4 all my life & I shuld jst throw it away cos am married?

No way will do
u might as well marry ur Dad. . . .Nevertheless,i know say u get sweet toto!
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by yody: 9:37pm On Jul 10, 2016
Am never going to change mine, who the surname EPP?twsheeee, so when divorce finally comes, someone wld start forcing me to drop his name? then I would go back to my fathers name again? for how long?
.......about the divorce, anything can happen at anytime , only God knows tomorrow.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 10, 2016
Joy1706:

GO AND DIE JOOOOR!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by badostic: 9:45pm On Jul 10, 2016
They mostly keep their father's name if they are contributor to the social welfare of the family. You cannot do that with me except your mother is bearing her father's name with her husband name. Marry who you are richer than.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Kazrem(m): 9:49pm On Jul 10, 2016
Omotayor123:

No mind them my dear.
baba11 you hear?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by abatisegun: 10:03pm On Jul 10, 2016
philit22:
Pls what do you say on this?
There is a trend of women retaining their father's name even after they are married..E.g Chisom Obiano gets married to Martins Adesina, She begins to answer Chisom Obiano-Adesina..As a man will you permit this and as a woman do you prefer this and why?
. Looking at it from what western world has brought for us, we will say it's not allowed. But viewing it from another perspective, it's so much allowed because those women also have their family names which is also important and valuable to them and mush be kept. Consider a family where there are only females and no male, and the family name is well known. If we now say they should only beat their husband name what do u think will happen to d family name?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by kandiikane(m): 10:27pm On Jul 10, 2016
ypeace:

it seems not many people here knows it is a western culture imported to Nigeria as a result of colonialism. It is even a 'Christian thing' as any Muslim doing such could be said to lack in dept knowledge of his religion..........

I don't think I will even support my wife to hyphenate her surname not to talk of changing it patapata.

It is.. Where I am from Majority are muslim and the women hardly change their names. I don't even know any married women that changed their names.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by brainbox2014(m): 10:28pm On Jul 10, 2016
Toluwani111:
GREAT NAIRALANDERS!

please Advice me

I want to buy a android phone with quality camera, long last battery, rugged, 4.5 inches or 5 inches, removable battery, Can carry large number of applications
Which one best suites that specifications.
NB: my budget is #15,000- #18,000
kindly QUOTE ME with your suggestion.
Thanks

Tecno Y4 - N17,400 (Price at www.yesmobile.ng)
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Toluwani111: 10:30pm On Jul 10, 2016
brainbox2014:

Tecno Y4 - N17,400 (Price at www.yesmobile.ng)
Spec ?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Situation001(m): 10:32pm On Jul 10, 2016
profmallory:
Wait until you have only all Girls, then just maybe you ld understand a bit..

Nice Response..
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by LadyH(f): 10:36pm On Jul 10, 2016
UnknownT:
Mostly when her maiden's name is popular. I wouldn't mind my wife 'hyphenating' hers btw
Cc: Mrs. LadyH-UnknownT cheesy grin
#rollin'
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by opylas(m): 10:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
LOL... Funny comments everywhere.

I know daughters of rich folks do it, mainly not to lose the identity. A rich Mrs. Olawunmi-Obasanjo Jimoh would most likely have to always provide an answer to "Are you related to Baba Iyabo?"
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 10:58pm On Jul 10, 2016
I know my woman, she will naturally adopt my name exclusively without hyphenated names. It is better to learn from your parents who have been in marriage for 30years+ than learn from Facebook opinions, and media-intoxicated young couples whose only records are the recent 250 wedding anniversary photos on Instagram; 2 year anniversary I mean smiley

Learn from your parents if their marriage is successful. There is more to NAMES than we know. Attaching your father's name who is probably a chronic drunk and a woman beater with the name of your newly wedded hubby is psychologically f00lish.

If the name by which you're called is not important as portrayed on this thread, change your name to "FAILURE", and see how your life will "turn around".

If you love your husband, and you prefer to be addressed as Mrs (not Miss), then you should change your name. Your father's name didn't make you a Mrs, so give your husband that total commitment.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by ibroh22(m): 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2016
Omotayor123:

No mind them my dear.
stay in your father's house then to keep bearing the name
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by yorex2011: 11:19pm On Jul 10, 2016
Social media is our major problem these days..
Many sstupid men and women would read comments here and start doing nonsense..
The people who have the wisdom (our older folks) aren't even here to advise.
Wish everyone goodluck sha
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by TheMyth: 11:36pm On Jul 10, 2016
abatisegun:
. Looking at it from what western world has brought for us, we will say it's not allowed. But viewing it from another perspective, it's so much allowed because those women also have their family names which is also important and valuable to them and mush be kept. Consider a family where there are only females and no male, and the family name is well known. If we now say they should only beat their husband name what do u think will happen to d family name?
. The family name would still die out anyway .. or will the children bear her maiden or hyphenated name ... After paying bride price and this new uprise of legal divorce proceedings plus if the children bear their fathers name what's now the point of keeping her maiden name
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Arijude(m): 11:52pm On Jul 10, 2016
MizTyna:

And you think all men care about that? You'll be surprised only very few men care about that. I don't know why names will bother anyone about marriage when bigger things should matter. To each his own sha
Who told you very few men care about that ? About 80% of men care about that in case you don't know.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Adaeze003(f): 1:25am On Jul 11, 2016
"Small pennis syndrome"... shocked shocked

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by steppin: 1:43am On Jul 11, 2016
For ladies who asked this question, "what if my daughter wants to retain my name if she's married"? I wouldn't want my daughter to retain my name if the husband doesn't allow it.
When I get married, the only reason my wife would bear her name, is if she's a celebrity. Since I don't see that happening, she has no other choice than to use my surname.
Any woman who refuses to use her husband's surname is either gonna leave the marriage or she's not proud of being married to her hubby. There are provisions for married women who change their surnames and it has never been a problem.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by dinachi(m): 5:03am On Jul 11, 2016
Joy1706:

You are extremely silly! The surname you are keeping is it not your father's own name? So that means your father is also suffering from small penis syndrome abi? If you really want to show your independence and lesbian feminism why don't you keep your mother's maiden name too? Or convince your mother to keep her own father's name.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Omotayor123(f): 5:05am On Jul 11, 2016
Kazrem:
baba11 you hear?
cool
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Arielle: 6:55am On Jul 11, 2016
Joy1706:
Hahaha hahaha! !!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Arielle: 7:15am On Jul 11, 2016
vodutive:

maybe you should stay in your father's house you have known all your life because you sound like you will only bring trouble to any marraige!

A marriage is about 2 people coming together and making decisions TOGETHER, if you are making unilateral decisions of this sort and you feel you don't need permission, then what you want is a husband and kids not a marriage.....many women don't understand the difference!!! You want a husband and kids so you can feel complete and fulfilled as a woman but you are clearly not ready for the commitment, sacrifices and rigors of marriage.

Understood. But in the same vein will husbands ask the opinion of the wives if they wish to change their name? The mistaken assumption is that a woman is legally compelled to change her name upon marriage. There is no such thing. Otherwise there would have been an automatic change of name at marriage. As it is, if she so wishes, she can then change it and notify the public.
Women are hyphenation their names everyday, with their husbands' consent. Real men, not boys who haven't even found one sisi to stroke their limp dikkss at night! cheesy cheesy
What do you people know about marriage. Oya when you marry divorce her because she no gree change name. Good luck with that!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Arielle: 7:17am On Jul 11, 2016
[quote author=Arielle post=47418674]

Understood. But in the same vein will husbands ask the opinion of the wives if they wish to change their name? The mistaken assumption is that a woman is legally compelled to change her name upon marriage. There is no such thing. Otherwise there would have been an automatic change of name at marriage. As it is, if she so wishes, she can then change it and notify the public.
Women are hyphenation their names everyday, with their husbands' consent. Real men, not boys who haven't even found one sisi to stroke their limp dikkss at night! cheesy cheesy
What do you people know about marriage. Oya when you marry divorce her because she no gree change name. Good luck with that!![/quote
Sorry, hyphenating
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by baba11(m): 7:37am On Jul 11, 2016
Kazrem:

baba11 you hear?
...at least she is still following and practising the ways of sahabas..you can do better cool cool cool

kudos,more grease to your elbow omotayor123 but sha,with LOVE,anything can change...abi no be s0 tongue tongue tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Behaviors To Avoid While Waiting To Marry / My Neighbor Beats His Wife And Kids Daily, What Can I do? / And There Shall Be 7 Women To 1 Man.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.