Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? (29451 Views)

Man Marries Lady Impregnated By Another Man. Finds Out After Marriage (Photos) / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by doll912(f): 8:07am On Jul 11, 2016
Thunderlicious:

Then get ready to pass menopause with no husband.

Another male chauvinist spotted. Anyway,this is an issue that has to be discussed before marriage. You aren't better than men that allowed it. Are you better Ngozi Okonjo Iweala's husband?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by doll912(f): 8:12am On Jul 11, 2016
chrysso83:
When they feel their father's name is too important that they cannot detach from it. It's mostly done by women from famous families or women who achieved fame b4 marriage

That's a good point.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by yorex2011: 8:14am On Jul 11, 2016
doll912:

Another male chauvinist spotted. Anyway,this is an issue that has to be discussed before marriage. You aren't better than men that allowed it. Are you better Ngozi Okonjo Iweala's husband?
Weak Argument
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by bolseas(f): 8:18am On Jul 11, 2016
ypeace:

it seems not many people here knows it is a western culture imported to Nigeria as a result of colonialism. It is even a 'Christian thing' as any Muslim doing such could be said to lack in dept knowledge of his religion..........

I don't think I will even support my wife to hyphenate her surname not to talk of changing it patapata.

Muslim women are allowed to keep their surnames after getting married. it was never copied from whites.please say what you know.

my husband didn't allow me change my name. but because of documentation issues especially after having a child, I had to let him see reasons why I need to change my name by adding my surname and his name and he accepted.

this doesn't make my husband a weak man, it makes him a man who respects God, respects me and my father.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by doll912(f): 8:20am On Jul 11, 2016
januzaj:
it ain't our fault that you are suffering from extra large v*gina syndrome

That's boring and dry. We all know men are always all about ego and African men are worse. You aren't better than men who agreed to it.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by doll912(f): 8:23am On Jul 11, 2016
jmichlins:
with this mindset just forget about marriage else

Oga, marriage is not an ambition or a career path you hear. That's the only thing men use as weapon in this day and age( money and game no longer works as women are getting even more) Once a woman says anything, they mention marriage.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by doll912(f): 8:27am On Jul 11, 2016
muller101:
u that will beg men to marry u
Listen to your deranged self. Just take time out of your clueless mind and listen.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by doll912(f): 8:52am On Jul 11, 2016
yorex2011:

Weak Argument

Just like I thought, you aren't.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by yorex2011: 9:05am On Jul 11, 2016
doll912:

Just like you thought?
But isn't this the first time I'm quoting you, how could you then have a prior notion?

Your post is unclear ma'am.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by sdbaba: 9:12am On Jul 11, 2016
Pride and the fact that some of them envisage divorce even before marriage. That's wot our society has become!!!
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by vena3(f): 10:44am On Jul 11, 2016
Doll912...
Take this kiss babe muaaaaah!!!!
You represent welll
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by vena3(f): 10:50am On Jul 11, 2016
muller101:

We wey don marry nko.

So so trouble from male species.
We female species Don dey provide for house pass men.

How many wives husband elp recently?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Thunderlicious: 10:52am On Jul 11, 2016
doll912:

What makes u think he is better than me? because he doesn't post on NL?
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Omaai(f): 10:53am On Jul 11, 2016
Some reasons can be traced to Feminism
Some can be traced to the history of matrilineal culture (especially the Igbo Women)
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by elsomm(m): 11:04am On Jul 11, 2016
Breadmaker:
same here because i started making the plan of starting a family long ago, I have laid so many blocks in the foundation already under my surname. I don't even know who I am going to form this family with but I am working hard to ensure she enjoy it to the fullest.
Because I was alone when I laid this foundation, I have chosen my own name for it and when she comes she will fall in because two cannot walk unless they agree.
If she's not comfortable with that then she should stay in her father's house. Whoever thinks I am a chevaunist should lay this foundation when I don't even know her, work hard to secure my future and that of my kids, ask for my hand in marriage and pay my bride price and every other payments we make to get a wife and I will gladly take her surname.

Smh
As if she's not working hard where she is laying a strong foundation for her own family too? You made it seem like you're doing her a favour. Like the family revolves around you. If my wife (the future wife I dey eye) chooses to add her father's name then let it be. You forgot that her name does not comprise only of her first name but includes her father's name and which she can simply add urs to get her new full name.
Men should learn to loosen up. Happy wife...Happy life!
While you're laying those foundations, leave a few blocks for her to add so that you give her value and cherish her. Your marriage will be better if both contribute no matter how small and this little is genuine appreciated.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Thunderlicious: 11:06am On Jul 11, 2016
doll912:

doll912:
That's boring and dry. We all know men are always all about ego and African men are worse. You aren't better than men who agreed to it.

doll912:
Oga, marriage is not an ambition or a career path you hear. That's the only thing men use as weapon in this day and age( money and game no longer works as women are getting even more) Once a woman says anything, they mention marriage.

doll912:
Listen to your deranged self. Just take time out of your clueless mind and listen.

doll912:

This one is obviously husband-starved. You sound like someone who has been heartbroken severally. I can understand your pain: being heartbroken can make you feel worthless and hopeless. Any girl that has a pic on her NL profile page is obviously SINGLE and HEAVILY searching.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 12:33pm On Jul 11, 2016
Thunderlicious:

Then get ready to pass menopause with no husband.
That's the best your head could come up with. Is this supposed to scare me? Who husband epp sef?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by SWITANN(f): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2016
Joy1706:
Look at them. Small men suffering from small peniss syndrome. There's nothing to permit. It's MY decision if I decide to keep the surname I've been known with all my life.

thank u joy...

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2016
januzaj:
it ain't our fault that you are suffering from extra large v*gina syndrome
At least it can always be tightened. On the other hand, your case is a hopeless one. Pray that you find a girl who'd stick with you and your finger sized preek. Good luck dear

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 12:36pm On Jul 11, 2016
jmichlins:
with this mindset just forget about marriage else
Are you the one marrying me? Face ya front abeg

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 12:37pm On Jul 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

1) Every single entity that has a hyphenated last name is a royal beyotch. FACT.

2) Every single one is married to a sissified man. FACT

EgunMogaji doesn't tolerate BS, marry me or stay married to your fathers name. Choice is clear.

I also hate those that keep it after divorce. I had to force the Ex in court to drop my last name because she wanted to keep it so people can know she's the mother of her black kids (she's white).
Awwww! No wonder you're divorced

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 12:39pm On Jul 11, 2016
muller101:
Is it your beg? Mumu

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 12:41pm On Jul 11, 2016
Nnam36:
Any woman that choses that is likely not going to respect the husband and won't value their marriage because retaining that name means that she's not married to him totally and that she can go any time the man offends her etc so let such woman complete my insinuation by telling us her fears and what she intends to gain by that.
Oga why don't you change your surname totally so that the whole world will know ur married to your wife totally.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 12:43pm On Jul 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You've proven my point #2 from my previous post.

Your effeminacy oozes across the screen.

PS: Someone please give this man a medal, he has a lengthy 2 year marriage grin
Says the man who couldn't even keep his home. Shame

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 12:45pm On Jul 11, 2016
vodutive:

maybe you should stay in your father's house you have known all your life because you sound like you will only bring trouble to any marraige!

A marriage is about 2 people coming together and making decisions TOGETHER, if you are making unilateral decisions of this sort and you feel you don't need permission, then what you want is a husband and kids not a marriage.....many womben don't understand the difference!!! You want a husband and kids so you can feel complete and fulfilled as a woman but you are clearly not ready for the commitment, sacrifices and rigors of marriage.
Its not every little thing I'd need permission for. Who is the one bearing the name? Is it not me? I don't see how any normal man would have a problem with me wanting to retain my surname. He can let me know his views n opinions on that. But ultimately I have the final say in that aspect.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by yorex2011: 12:48pm On Jul 11, 2016
The way some so called female monikers just post at times makes me wonder. Can you all just argue without the insults and all that.

It's becoming disgusting, most times when it comes to human behavior, there is hardly a universal truth.
So we need to debate and create sound arguments and not going about talking like you have nothing to say..

I've seen quite a number of reasonable and wise comments here tho..

Throwing insults everywhere to me makes no sense, because the person you are insulting really doesn't give a hoot.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by doll912(f): 1:36pm On Jul 11, 2016
Thunderlicious:

This one is obviously husband-starved. You sound like someone who has been heartbroken severally. I can understand your pain: being heartbroken can make you feel worthless and hopeless. Any girl that has a pic on her NL profile page is obviously SINGLE and HEAVILY searching.

*Rotfl oh gosh, u even had to go check my dp, u are so jobless and pained. Maybe I should place a dp with my ring. I'm not even gonna check your profile to ascertain if you are male or female... you are that worthless. Last time I checked one out of 7 billion is very insignificant... yes your opinion is.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 11, 2016
Joy1706:

Its not every little thing I'd need permission for. Who is the one bearing the name? Is it not me? I don't see how any normal man would have a problem with me wanting to retain my surname. He can let me know his views n opinions on that. But ultimately I have the final say in that aspect.

How would you feel if your husband bought a property and never told you about it after all it's his money he uses to buy the house. Would you not begin to think he is up to no good? What if your husband decided he wants to change his religion, I guess he doesn't have to consult you because by your logic, it's his religion not yours abi? I guess your husband doesn't have to tell you if he is traveling, after all traveling is a small thing and he will be back home in a few days....abi? It's clearly a big deal to you otherwise you wouldn't make a big deal about it or be offended if he insists on you changing your name, if keeping your name is not a big deal, then why would you jeopardize a marriage based on a "small thing"? You really don't understand what marriage is about!!!! So please stop trying to play mind games by saying "every little thing". Your comment "Who is the one bearing the name? Is it not me?" shows you don't get what marraige is about, that you are one of those who enters a marriage for "I" not "us". Every decision you make affects your partner, if you don't know that and are not ready to think for 2, you aren't ready for marriage!

Like I said the problem is not keeping the name but the attitude and I must say although I don't know you, this kind of attitude is a recipe for a problematic marriage. What's in a name, it's not a big deal but you make it a big deal with an attitude that says "my name is my business and not my husband's", because you reveal more about yourself, the direction and your attitude towards your marriage.

Just as women don't have to change their names, I hope you know you don't have to be married...it's not by force! Whether you keep name or change name if you enter with the attitude of "me", "my", "I" , that I am seeing, your marraige is dead even before it starts whether your husband has no problem with name change or not.....and that dear Women is the real issue!
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by lawlahbammy(f): 2:25pm On Jul 11, 2016
Toluwani111:
Thanks but have you once used it ?
It's the phone I'm using now. The only issue is its 512mb ram.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 11, 2016
Joy1706:

Says the man who couldn't even keep his home. Shame

It's what's called a change of assets.

I have a new younger and hotter wife wink

Besides, I'm in very good company with Prince Charles, US vice preside al gore, millionaire Donald trump, etc

Go mount your corner on Allen avenue grin
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 11, 2016
Joy1706:

Awwww! No wonder you're divorced

Don't worry, I live in a progressive country not that piss hole where you live. Here we don't carry divorce on the head like shame.

Yep, I'm twice divorced like I sad and very proud of it cheesy

I'm a real man who talks the talk and walks the walk, my way of the highway.
Re: Why Do Women Include Their father's Name After Marriage? by Joy1706(f): 4:24pm On Jul 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yeah, you can typically tell girls that have big caves between their legs, they usually have big mouths to match it grin
Awwww! I hope u feel better about urself soon. Having a small peniss is nor the end of the world..... or maybe it is grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Behaviors To Avoid While Waiting To Marry / My Neighbor Beats His Wife And Kids Daily, What Can I do? / And There Shall Be 7 Women To 1 Man.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.