Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,582 members, 7,955,136 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:49 PM

Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas (12054 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Brag A Lot About Having The Most Beautiful Women In Nigeria? / Why Do Igbo Girls Behave This Way If U Fail To Marry Them After Having A Child / 5 Things Women Hate To Hear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 29, 2009
some Igbo parents don't even consent to their children marrying another Igbo from a different state.

Very true. This is the sole reason not to pay attention when the so called parents come up with their tribalistic rants.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 29, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

This is an erroneous thinking by igbos just like Yorubas think igbos are ritualists. Truly, Yorubas are the only group who allows their wives to carry loads while they shill at home drinking palm wine. All the labourers in alaba international, idumota that off load containers for igbo traders are Yoruba women[suuru alaba] who toil everyday to make ends meet  and they end up handing over their daily earnings to baba who has 8 other wives earning money for him the same way. Isn't that pimping?.

Judging Yoruba men from that experience is erroneous and its not 80% of them that do it. Not even close but I really do think Yorubas need to do something about respecting their women. May be that's why many Yoruba women are very violent and querrelsome. It could be a result of long term mental  abuse. You cannot see Benin, Hausa, Efik, Ibibio, Igbo , Ijaw etc women carrying loads for igbo traders in Lagos for a fee[only the men]. It's only Yoruba women that do that thing and its not right. If they carry these loads and keep the money for their upkeep, it will be better but not for baba. I will not wish such husband for my sister. If baba wants to be called baba, let him go and work in order to take care of his family.

while i dont like the idea of the women giving their meager wages to alcoholic husbands, there's nothing wrong with honest work. Would you prefer them to be prostitutes instead?

there's dignity in labor and such people may be in polygamous marriages and doing the work in order to cater for their children.

As long as they dont do it forever its not a crime. People do the same type of job when they travel overseas.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 29, 2009
I think because there's a population of muslims in Yoruba that's why there's this idea of a high polygamous rate undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 29, 2009
stillwater:

I think because there's a population of muslims in Yoruba that's why there's this idea of a high polygamous rate undecided

its also a traditional thing though i do know some hard core Yoruba traditionalists who arent polygamous.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 29, 2009
tpia.:

its also a traditional thing though i do know some hard core Yoruba traditionalists who arent polygamous.

But traditionally, Igbos too were polygamous. My great grand father even had many wives. undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 29, 2009
stillwater:

But traditionally, Igbos too were polygamous. My great grand father even had many wives. undecided

they changed because of their deep Catholic leanings. Catholicism is very strict on monogamy, and the religion is deeply rooted in Igbo life and culture.

Yorubas tend to mix traditionalism with their relatively more liberal orthodox Christianity. Besides, many of the orthodox Yoruba Christians are into secret societies and the like. These all figure in the general attitudes.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 2:34pm On Sep 29, 2009
tpia.:

while i dont like the idea of the women giving their meager wages to alcoholic husbands, there's nothing wrong with honest work. Would you prefer them to be prostitutes instead?

there's dignity in labor and such people may be in polygamous marriages and doing the work in order to cater for their children.

As long as they dont do it forever its not a crime. People do the same type of job when they travel overseas.

They don't have to be prostitutes. They can make a living from selling articles of some sort. You need to see these frail women first hand carrying these loads to understand what i am saying. I am sure their husbands don't know what they go through to make the money but the igbo traders that hire them are to be blamed here[plus the government that has no social welfare]. If they must offload something, let it not be heavy equipments like motor parts. Whether we like it or not, women are not built for moving heavy objects. That is an abuse.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by vanitty: 2:39pm On Sep 29, 2009
see tribal education on nairaland.

without sources tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 29, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

They don't have to be prostitutes. They can make a living from selling articles of some sort. You need to see these frail women first hand carrying these loads to understand what i am saying. I am sure their husbands don't know what they go through to make the money but the igbo traders that hire them are to be blamed here[plus the government that has no social welfare]. If they must offload something, let it not be heavy equipments like motor parts. Whether we like it or not, women are not built for moving heavy objects. That is an abuse.

well, i dont know the long and short of the matter, or why women are doing it instead of the numerous area boys.

But nothing wrong with honest work. They may be trying to raise money to start their own small tomato selling business. Or feed their kids.

If it affects their health to the extent they're unable to continue in such a job, then they'll quit I presume.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:25pm On Sep 29, 2009
stillwater:

are you minding the morons? Screaming about polygamy. Isnt it common sense that this is because there are some Yorubas that are Muslims which allows multiple wives hence the polygamy.

If stupid women want to marry a man who belives in such, then the outcome is their fault and business. Using that as a justification for the thread is just pathetic
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 3:29pm On Sep 29, 2009
Because area boys are not interested in making a living the hard way. Some of them are married to these women but will never lift a hoe in their lives. They arrest these women mentally and turn them into a beast of burden.   I believe that illiteracy is one inch away from retardation but their husbands are largely illiterates too but were able to maneuver their wive's psyche into absolute subservience. Both their employers and their owners are to be blamed here and Nigeria will never progress if we continue taking advantage of women. This warning also goes to other sectors that hold women down just to protect their territories.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by asha80(m): 3:53pm On Sep 29, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Because area boys are not interested in making a living the hard way. Some of them are married to these women but will never lift a hoe in their lives. They arrest these women mentally and turn them into a beast of burden. I believe that illiteracy is one inch away from retardation but their husbands are largely illiterates too but were able to maneuver their wive's psyche into absolute subservience. Both their employers and their owners are to be blamed here and Nigeria will never progress if we continue taking advantage of women. This warning also goes to other sectors that hold women down just to protect their territories.

I totally disagree with you.The women that do that are they doing so at gun point?
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 4:11pm On Sep 29, 2009
asha 80:

[/b]

I totally disagree with you.The women that do that are they doing so at gun point?

They are not doing it at gun point but its still slavery. We complain and campaign against diamonds in oyiboland because people are killed in Africa for these diamonds. Did oyibos kill those African people or did Africans themselves shoot each other because they are fighting for the control of the diamond mines?. If you cannot blame the men for enslaving those women, why blame oyibos for blood diamonds in Africa?.

If you see these women, you will notice that they are mentally enslaved. How can you toil all day and turn around and submit the whole money to baba?. Pimps may scare hell out of harlots but these babas do not threaten them; they just give it up. Something is wrong somewhere and some of them come to market the next day looking for money for breakfast. If you ask them what happened to the money they made yesterday, they will tell you baba has it all. If gunpoint is a measurement for abuse then, so many ills in our society will pass for normal. If these igbo traders stop hiring them and pay labourers a proper wage, may be the men will be attracted to the job and the abuse will definitely stop. Will you let your sister carry hefty loads for people in the first place and what will be your reaction if you discover that another man is reaping the dividends?
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 29, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

They are not doing it at gun point but its still slavery. We complain and campaign against diamonds in oyiboland because people are killed in Africa for these diamonds. Did oyibos kill those African people or did Africans themselves shoot each other because they are fighting for the control of the diamond mines?. If you cannot blame the men for enslaving those women, why blame oyibos for blood diamonds in Africa?.

If you see these women, you will notice that they are mentally enslaved. How can you toil all day and turn around and submit the whole money to baba?. Pimps may scare hell out of harlots but these babas do not threaten them; they just give it up. Something is wrong somewhere and some of them come to market the next day looking for money for breakfast. If you ask them what happened to the money they made yesterday, they will tell you baba has it all. If gunpoint is a measurement for abuse then, so many ills in our society will pass for normal. If these igbo traders stop hiring them and pay labourers a proper wage, may be the men will be attracted to the job and the abuse will definitely stop. Will you let your sister carry hefty loads for people in the first place and what will be your reaction if you discover that another man is reaping the dividends?

can you make up your mind if the women are married to area boys or polygamous babas.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 9:33pm On Sep 29, 2009
It doesn't matter who they married as long as it's not their fellow women. Most of them are married to baba and not area boys.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by namun(f): 10:13pm On Sep 29, 2009
@alloy emeka, thank you so much for saying the truth.
i so much agree with you
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by bashydemy(m): 11:02pm On Sep 29, 2009
its because Ibo's dem like money and marrying ibo girl is like buying the girl from her parent and they know yoruba too wise and will not wanna pay whatever they ask for
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AndreUweh(m): 11:23pm On Sep 29, 2009
Some Yoruba mothers are so nice and not tribalistic. During my NYSC days in Ogun state, a mother game me her fullest support to marry her second daughter. Her first daughter whom I was befriending then was bethrothed to another man. I did not know it and the girl did not tell me either. When her mother found out, she disapproved it and rather suggested I come and marry her second daughter.
Even though I did not marry her second daughter, but it was very commendable of a mother to do so.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 4:53am On Sep 30, 2009
bashy_demy:

its because Ibo's dem like money and marrying ibo girl is like buying the girl from her parent and they know yoruba too wise and will not wanna pay whatever they ask for

You don't like money?
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 30, 2009
besides, area boys are sharp. They'll discover your secrets if you hire them. undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by sjeezy8: 6:56pm On Sep 30, 2009
bashy_demy:

its because Ibo's dem like money and[b] marrying ibo girl is like buying the girl from her parent[/b] and they know yoruba too wise and will not wanna pay whatever they ask for

Aloy.Emeka:

You don't like money?

WE DONT SELL OUR DAUGHTERS LIKE SOME FOLKS grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 30, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Some Yoruba mothers are so nice and not tribalistic. During my NYSC days in Ogun state, a mother game me her fullest support to marry her second daughter. Her first daughter whom I was befriending then was bethrothed to another man. I did not know it and the girl did not tell me either. When her mother found out, she disapproved it and rather suggested I come and marry her second daughter.
Even though I did not marry her second daughter, but it was very commendable of a mother to do so.
That is just weird cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2009
ibkaye:

That is just weird cheesy
Its like she wanted to give away the daughter by all means lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 30, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Its like she wanted to give away the daughter by all means lipsrsealed
Sheesh, like what the hell cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 8:05pm On Sep 30, 2009
tpia.:

besides, area boys are sharp. They'll discover your secrets if you hire them. undecided lipsrsealed

First of all, area boys are not interested in working for anybody. They don't have your time.

2nd: Will you trust an area boy to carry your goods from point A to B?. Some are bound to bail with it and if it's an expensive equipment, you will lose heavily.

3rd: There is no secret to discover. They just offload the truck and that's it. It's not as if they are your book keepers.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2009
sjeezy8:

WE DONT SELL OUR DAUGHTERS LIKE SOME FOLKS grin

Poor man talk. tongue
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by BTRKINGS: 12:14am On Oct 01, 2009
Hm, NEVER KNEW THIS ISSUE COULD BE THIS SENSITIVE

I ACTUALLY POSTED THIS TOPIC COS ITS REALLY GETTING THE BEST OF ME AND I WOULDN'T WANT MEMBERS OF THIS HONORABLE HOUZ TO WASTE
MUCH OF OUR TIME COS DEFINITELY THIS IS A SENSITIVE ISSUE GOING BY THE DIFFERENCES WE HAVE IN TERMS OF CULTURE AND TRADITION IN OUR COUNTRY NIGERIA BUT I THINK I'VE GOT A QUESTION TO ASK,CAN A NATION BE TRULY GREAT OR GET TO HER EL DORA-DO IF WE STILL CANT TRUST OURSELVES WHEN IT COMES TO GIVING OUT OUR OWN CHILDREN TO ONE ANOTHER THEREBY MAKING MARRIAGE SO SEGMENTAL AND MAKE IT SEEM AS IF WE STILL NURSE ONE FEAR OR THE OTHER AGAINST OUR VERY SELF
ITS IS IF NIGERIANS START THINKING AS ONE ENTITY THAT CAN ONLY BE INDIVISIBLE IF WE ARE READY TO SET ABLAZE TRIBALISM,ETHNIC RIVALRY AND POLITICAL VIOLENCE EVEN AS WE CELEBRATE NIGERIA @ 49,WE SHOULD SEE OURSELVES AS NIGERIANS NOT AS A YORUBA OR AS AN IGBO OR AS HAUSA IF WE SHALL GET TO THE PROMISE LAND.
I BELIEVE THE INSTITUTION MARRIAGE IS ONE OF PLACE WHERE WE CAN MEET FOR REAL!
LONG LIFE EASTERN REGION
LONG LIFE WESTERN REGION
LONG LIFE NORTHAN REGION
LONG LIFE NIGERIA
I WISH ALL OF U A HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION.

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by THEAMAKA(f): 12:56am On Oct 01, 2009
^^^^^^

SEXY!! grin grin

the guy in the pic. lol
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by chiogo(f): 2:32am On Oct 01, 2009
LOL sexy coo sexual nee. Somebody better teach him how to be a president soon.

It's not even October 1st here yet.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by THEAMAKA(f): 2:37am On Oct 01, 2009
haaa, my baby is fine ooo. lol
jk

i know, he better get on that FAST!!
he is not even competent to be president.
he is just too sick, he needs to fall back already.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by chiogo(f): 2:40am On Oct 01, 2009
Anywayz, Happy Independence to you all, [size=5pt]even though we're not really indepedent[/size]. Yea yea yea.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:53am On Oct 01, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

First of all, area boys are not interested in working for anybody. They don't have your time.

2nd: Will you trust an area boy to carry your goods from point A to B?. Some are bound to bail with it and if it's an expensive equipment, you will lose heavily.

3rd: There is no secret to discover. They just offload the truck and that's it. It's not as if they are your book keepers.

that's your impression of them (area boys) and you're entitled to it.

what you give is what you get.

Your second point doesnt make sense since you were lamenting the fact that women are carrying heavy equipment. Double talk or you're just plain confused, imo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oh Boy! See The Kissing Photo Which Has Got People Confused / #bbnaija: Mercy Caught Masturbating? (video) / What Is The Outcome (needs Advice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.