Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,730 members, 7,820,527 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas (11866 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Brag A Lot About Having The Most Beautiful Women In Nigeria? / Why Do Igbo Girls Behave This Way If U Fail To Marry Them After Having A Child / 5 Things Women Hate To Hear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by BTRKINGS: 6:38am On Sep 27, 2009
YOUR COMMENT WILL B HIGHLY APPRECIATED

HOUZ I THINK THIS IS A KIND OF DILEMMA AS I DONT KNOW IF THERE IS ANY REASON WHY IGBO PARENTS IN YORUBA LAND HATE THEIR DAUGHTER TO MARRY YORUBA BOIZ EVEN WHEN THEY KNOW THAT BOTH OF THEM R REALY IN LOVE.
I AM CONVINCED THAT I ACTUALLY LOVE THIS GAL AND THAT SHE LOVES ME TOO BUT HER PARENTS ESPECIALLY THE MOTHER WONT LET HER B PROBABLY BECAUSE SHE WANT HER TO MARRY ANOTHER IGBO BOY.
PLS HOUZ I WANT U TO ADVISE ME ON WHAT I SHOULD DO.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 7:10am On Sep 27, 2009
BTRKINGS:

YOUR COMMENT WILL B HIGHLY APPRECIATED

HOUZ I THINK THIS IS A KIND OF DILEMMA AS I DONT KNOW IF THERE IS ANY REASON WHY IGBO PARENTS IN YORUBA LAND HATE THEIR DAUGHTER TO MARRY YORUBA BOIZ EVEN WHEN THEY KNOW THAT BOTH OF THEM R REALY IN LOVE.
I AM CONVINCED THAT I ACTUALLY LOVE THIS GAL AND THAT SHE LOVES ME TOO BUT HER PARENTS ESPECIALLY THE MOTHER WONT LET HER B PROBABLY BECAUSE SHE WANT HER TO MARRY ANOTHER IGBO BOY.
PLS HOUZ I WANT U TO ADVISE ME ON WHAT I SHOULD DO.

ok, with all do respect to the yorubas, i think 80% of the yoruba men dont know how to take care of their wife and 20% do.they care less once they bring in a woman.the question now is which one do belong to?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 27, 2009
Bigot
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 27, 2009
I have seen this in Nollywood movies but didnt know it was true. I guess there must be a longterm feud between the tribes.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by donjon: 1:12pm On Sep 27, 2009
D same reason yoruba girls cant date omo ibo! ITZ ALL TRIBALISM
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by donjon: 1:12pm On Sep 27, 2009
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by justwise(m): 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2009
donjon:

Yes u are right, its both ways, some yoruba girls will tell u that her family will disown her if she date or marry an igbo guy. Alot of pple are still living in the past i guess (Both 2tribes)
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 27, 2009
Tribalism!
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by KennyG6(m): 2:14pm On Sep 27, 2009
bigotry
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by justwise(m): 2:17pm On Sep 27, 2009
jassie:

Tribalism!

U can say that again and again, its no secret that some individuals in both tribes are still struggling to fit in in 21st century.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 27, 2009
justwise:

U can say that again and again, its no secret that some individuals in both tribes are still struggling to fit in in 21st century.
Tribalism, Tribalism!!! grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by justwise(m): 3:14pm On Sep 27, 2009
jassie:

Tribalism, Tribalism!!! grin

Hahahaha, what did u smoke today grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 27, 2009
lmao. . . same stuff we smoke together wink
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by justwise(m): 3:24pm On Sep 27, 2009
jassie:

lmao. . . same stuff we smoke together wink

Ok, i see, though we are not into tribal stuff grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2009
yes o. . . we aren't. . . grin don't finish the smoke man, pass it to me sharp sharp. . . grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by justwise(m): 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2009
jassie:

yes o. . . we aren't. . . grin don't finish the smoke man, pass it to me sharp sharp. . . grin

Smoking kills!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 27, 2009
justwise:

Smoking kills!!!
ehen. . . so does that mean i'm talking to a ghost? grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by x2lambo(m): 3:37pm On Sep 27, 2009
Yes Its Tribalism, but the Igbo,s parents are high im having the same problem here
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by justwise(m): 3:39pm On Sep 27, 2009
x2lambo:

Yes Its Tribalism, but the Igbo,s parents are high im having the same problem here

Don't even go there, don't start that basesless comment cos u got No prove what so ever to reach that conclusion.
That is the tribalism we are talking abt
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:41pm On Sep 27, 2009
It ain't restricted to only a specific tribe. . .I guess it something that most thrives in Nigeria. . .

But that's totally Pointless! undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by TheSeeker(m): 4:25pm On Sep 27, 2009
The same way Yoruba parents won't allow their daughters to marry Igbo guys. You'll be surprised when Yoruba parents will tell their daughters they can't let them marry from another tribe - especially Igbo - because it's far from where they are from (as if it's their right to visit frequently). They have this foolish belief also that Igbo men use their wives for money rituals -- how retarded can anyone ever get?!

This is why I say too much of nollywood is bad for some people. Even the supposed 'educated' folks still think some of the excerpts of nollywood films are true; mostly parts where a widow is subjected to certain traditional practices and the ones where a widow is entangled with an obnoxious family set up (they already hate her which comes down to tribalism). Some of these folks still believe the practices are true and hold firm in all Igbo families and tribe in diaspora.

Igbo parents have reasons. One is the natural hatred they have for Awolowo which extended to the whole tribe entirely. Some Igbos know their family don't like Yorubas but they don't know the reason.  Another reason is that Yoruba men are very very prone to polygamy. I share this belief in its entirety. Polygamy is nothing any parents want their daughters to deal with and this is predominant among Yoruba men.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by unfaded(m): 4:43pm On Sep 27, 2009
@the seeker,but most nollywood films are made by igbo boys.also howmany yoruba guys in ow generation is poligamist?
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by TheSeeker(m): 4:56pm On Sep 27, 2009
unfaded:

@the seeker,but most nollywood films are made by igbo boys.also howmany yoruba guys in ow generation is poligamist?
Yes and why do you think most people are buying these movies? That's one of the marketing strategies. I can tell you a considerable number of people buy these movies to make mockery of Igbo traditions, and as long as the bucks are being rolled in no one seems to care.

About your second question, I have sizable instances to back up my view. Show me three out of every ten Yoruba family where you won't find polygamy and I will give you my sweet Mercedes Benz. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by unfaded(m): 5:32pm On Sep 27, 2009
Re u listenin to urself?those that do dmovies re the mockers! I also mèant nw family,not those of ow fathers,ow many of yoruba comtemporaries av 2wives?
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by TheSeeker(m): 5:45pm On Sep 27, 2009
unfaded:

Re u listenin to urself?those that do dmovies re the mockers! I also mèant nw family,not those of ow fathers,ow many of yoruba comtemporaries av 2wives?
You call business strategy mocking? I leave that to you to judge. And, let me tell you, these movies actually depicts a situaton where a particular family doesn't like their son from another tribe. Hatred is always at the fore, even while their son still lived, and when he dies, they might put it all on the woman and say she's the cause of his death. It has never been - at least in the movies I've watched - that they used it as a background that it's Igbo's culture.

But Yoruba tribe, as they have always been, always tune a situation out of proportion -- they have taken these very few movie instances to be true. You can check out where a yoruba will tell her daughter not to marry an Igbo man because they eat people in their village. . . ask her, has she ever been there or witnessed any?

There are lots of contemporary yoruba men who are polygamous unless having secret babies outside wedlock doesn't amount to polygamy anymore in the typical 'Nigerian' sense.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by vanitty: 5:47pm On Sep 27, 2009
yorke:

ok, with all do respect to the yorubas, i think 80% of the yoruba men dont know how to take care of their wife and 20% do.they care less once they bring in a woman.the question now is which one do belong to?

Ode, where did u get your statistics from?
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 27, 2009
I think we Nigerians can be racist and ignorant. Yes we complain about Racism in UK/US but we do it to our own people too. God help us sha.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 27, 2009
Even some yoruba does not want their son/daughter to marry yoruba from another town.

No be only tribes
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by StellaN3(f): 5:53pm On Sep 27, 2009
so Igbo girl dey hungry u to marry ehyaaaaaaaaaaa ndo oooooooooo
well are u ready to pay the price?

okey let me just tell u one reason why Igbo hate to give their precious child to a Yorubas in marrage
right from origin yorubas are wicked especially to the people that does not understand their language,
and they are ready to marry may be two wivies and have as many concubines as their pennis could carry,
so my dear if u want an Igbo girl be prepared to leave some of ur tribe character

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 27, 2009
Stella N:

okey let me just tell u one reason why Igbo hate to give their precious child to a Yorubas in marrage
right from origin yorubas are wicked especially to the people that does not understand their language,
and they are ready to marry may be two wivies and have as many concubines as their pennis could carry,
so my dear if u want an Igbo girl be prepared to leave some of your tribe character
You're a very stupid woman.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by justwise(m): 5:58pm On Sep 27, 2009
Stella N:

so my dear if u want an Igbo girl be prepared to leave some of your tribe character

U must be very primitive. And i'm not yoruba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Before You Marry A Woman Above 30 Years Of Age Think About This 5 Things / Is It Right To Gift A Married Man Perfume? / Embrace your Marital Script.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.