Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,811 members, 7,813,670 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Best Governor Of The Year 2009 - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Best Governor Of The Year 2009 (23324 Views)

Poll: Vote The Best Governor Of this Year

Barr Sullivan Chime (Enugu): 9% (15 votes)
Com. Adams Oshomole (Edo): 6% (11 votes)
Barr Babatunde Fashola (Lagos): 68% (114 votes)
Mr. Peter Obi (Anambra): 4% (7 votes)
Mr. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi (Rivers): 7% (12 votes)
Mohammed Namadi Sambo (Kaduna): 0% (1 vote)
Gabriel Suswam (Benue): 1% (3 votes)
Ibrahim Shekarau (Kano): 1% (2 votes)
Martin Elechi (Ebonyi): 0% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Imoke Wins Best Governor Award / Fashola, Mimiko, Oshiomole Or Okorocha: Who Is The Best Governor? / Perez: Rochas Okorocha Ranks Best Governor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by AloyEmeka6: 12:04am On Dec 11, 2009
Godwithmen:

Time will not permit me to let #landers know the good work of Mr Peter Obi, it's true that Ngige tried to do some roads in the state b/4 the emergence of Mr Peter Obi , yet Anambra as a state had not even a state secretariat that he has to start from building a befitting secretariat for the state,
Peter Obi is the man that laid the foundation of Anambra as a state, since then he has been going on implementing the ANIDS programs through which he is developing all sector of the state simultaneously,
such as ; Instituting the government ,
Security, health , Education ,
Road network that touches every community in the state even those areas termed as minor, example is the Umueze-Anam - Mmiata road which is the first road construction undertaking by any state government in Anambra west local government Area since the state was created,
Agriculture, Commerce and industry , sport and youth development , lands and housing, community development to mention but a few,
Upon all these, he is not making noise neither do he want the second term at all cost as other desperate politicians who go around trying to confuse / mislead people with lies,

Mr Obi has not finished his God given mandate in Anambra state till 2014.

Are you Obi's son or another BabaPupa?. Tell Peter Obi to bring back the N250M he stole before giving him accolades.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Eziachi: 12:07am On Dec 11, 2009
slap1:

if the Enugu guy is trying why does it look like his people are deserting the road.

Maybe because they have jobs to go to rather than roaming the street because they haven't got a job. grin grin grin
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by pacodas: 1:35am On Dec 11, 2009
[size=38pt]IF YOU VOTE FOR FASHOLA SAY AYE[/size]
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by museog: 8:00am On Dec 11, 2009
For me, Fashola is no 1
Those who keep saying Fashola is doing well because of IGR seem to have forgotten what the IGR was before Fashola came in. The man has more than quadrupled IGR since taking over. Nothing stops other states from increasing their IGR and please spare me this argument that Lagos is more commercial. As long as a state is inhabited by people and not monkeys, Governors can embark on development project that will not only generate revenue for the state but create more jobs and opportunities in the state. This is what the Fasola has achieved in Lagos. Doubters should talk to operators in the BRT system and understand the level of sanity that has been brought into transport in Lagos state. Now you have all sorts of businesses investing in the scheme with everyone in the the state better for it
Governance is all about enabling people solve their most pressing problems using the resources is at the leaders disposal. it has nothing to do with the size of the resources but all to do with the size of the vision and energy to execute the vision. After all Nigeria is blessed with abundant natural resources but we have not been able to convert this to any meaningful development. Leadership at every level in Nigeria is littered with mediocres so any time we see someone like Fasola thinking big and actualizing it, we should applause them.
As for Akala, the bling bling governor, I can't understand why the people of Oyo state can live peacefully with that kind of person. He is a joke at best. Speaks volumes about the mentally of Nigerians in general
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by edoyad(m): 8:24am On Dec 11, 2009
GBAM ! That's why i say, "the people get the kind of leaders they deserve".
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Chrisdonca(m): 9:21am On Dec 11, 2009
as for me folks the best governor is my comrade governor ADAMS OSHIOMOLE, that man is changing edo state for real, i just belive is the MOSES of Edo land oops.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by FACE(m): 9:47am On Dec 11, 2009
I know what the problem is; the range of world view !

Fashola is doing great according to those in Lagos but they have not been to the other 35 states to measure their satisfaction of how their respective governors are meeting their needs.

What the Lagosians are doing in effect is to compare Fashola with the previous governors of Lagos state, just like the "world series" where only Americans compete and become world champions.

There are so many indices used for measuring development and until all those are compared nationwide, you can not stay in your state and award your governor the best governor of th nation regardless of how excellent you think he is.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Beaf: 9:49am On Dec 11, 2009
edoyad:

Mr beaf i urge you again to please tell me which HDI ? Is it the one of the UN of one Nigerian government agency, please be specific.

babapupa:

Dude, what challenge are you talking about and of what use is your irrelevant index and challenge to me when the discussion is about the best governor?

Don't you wanna go start your own thread and discuss your index to your heart's desire?

Behold our two resident Houdini's.
Stop rounding around town. This is the definition of HDI.

The Human Development Index (HDI) is an index used to rank countries by level of "human development", which usually also implies whether a country is developed, developing, or underdeveloped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdi

Remember that Delta state is very young, so we don't have too much to deduce. HDI is a reliable measure of development, how can anybody make the incredibly ridiculous assertion that HDI is an irrelevant index? shocked Shocking! It is the most scientific way to measure progress (not number of flowers planted); it shows the direct and measurable effect of government policies on the lives of the people.

I gave you some homework, which is that [size=14pt]Delta state has the highest Human Development Index (HDI) in Nigeria[/size]. Disprove that assertion with your own facts instead of escaping. Right now, you have fallen flat (yarning dust while doing so). grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The challenge is still wide open.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by mekunwen: 10:55am On Dec 11, 2009
Gov Amechi of Rivers is the BEST.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by edoyad(m): 11:00am On Dec 11, 2009
Mr Beaf what rubbish are you saying ? Do you know what i read in school ?
Human Development Indices are the aggregate of individual dev Indices to come up with the sum total which is a true measure of development/standard of living.
An example of an index would be 1.access to education, or 2.rate of employment/self actualisation 3.access to health 4.justice and fair treatment 5.security 6.habitat/housing 7.basic amenities ala Electricity and potable water 8. . .add more of your choice

What this translates to is that a community where there is high level of education and employment but with no security of life and property might be considered worse off than a one where is better security but higher unemployment
with modest education with similar education level. The argument is that development is multifaceted thing and is not one dimensional, it should touch all aspects of life. It should reflect on how you think, eat to where sh.it, how you communicate and to cut long story short how you exist.

So i ask you again, WHO COMPILED THE ONE YOU ARE TALKING OF ? Did it fall from heaven or was it the UNDP ?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Meldrick(m): 11:03am On Dec 11, 2009
Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State. No doubt
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by edoyad(m): 11:16am On Dec 11, 2009
@Beaf, So going by what i have said, i'm sure we can compile our own little developmental Index here.
1.We should compare the state of security between both
2. Level of education and access to it
3.Electricity and water - don't tell us of generators for street lights o.
4. Transportation in all forms and ramifications of it.
5. Housing in terms of facilities to aid commoners in procuring one.
6. Health situation in all It's ramifications: no. of health workers visavis population, mother/infant mortality rate, access to and cost of treatment etc

I'm open to more suggestions from you. undecided
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Beaf: 11:29am On Dec 11, 2009
@edoyad

[size=14pt]Talk is cheap.[/size]

edoyad:

@Beaf, So going by what i have said, i'm sure we can compile our own little developmental Index her[/b]e.
6. Health situation in all It's ramifications: no. of health workers visavis population, mother/infant mortality rate, access to and cost of treatment etc

We will certainly not compile[b]"our own little developmental Index"
here, it has already been done. Do your homework, find those figures for yourself and we wouldn't need to argue after that (they are just too straightforward).
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by PapaBrowne(m): 11:31am On Dec 11, 2009
I have read thru a large part of this thread and have come to the same conclusion as Face:

FACE:

I know what the problem is; the range of world view !

Fashola is doing great according to those in Lagos but they have not been to the other 35 states to measure their satisfaction of how their respective governors are meeting their needs.

What the Lagosians are doing in effect is to compare Fashola with the previous governors of Lagos state, just like the "world series" where only Americans compete and become world champions.

There are so many indices used for measuring development and until all those are compared nationwide, you can not stay in your state and award your governor the best governor of th nation regardless of how excellent you think he is.
Face's conclusion best describes why people tend to assume that their Governor is the best performing, without they themselves having visited other states.
This point is where indices like Beaf's Human Development index become very important.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by ReachRich(m): 12:41pm On Dec 11, 2009
I may not know who the best governor is but i think i know who is the worst governor.He is no other than T A Orji of Abia state.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by sazzyphy(m): 12:57pm On Dec 11, 2009
[size=14pt] THERE IS NO CONTEST IN THIS , BRF (BABATUNDE RAJI FASHOLA) IS THE BEST GOVENOR IN NIGERIA AT PRESENT [/size]
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by edoyad(m): 12:57pm On Dec 11, 2009
@beaf , you're still saying talk is cheap ? Your own talk is cheap, cos i'm still asking you which organisation's HDI you are refering to ? Is it that of the UN, USaid, Nigerian govt or any other globally renowned organisation ?
Please tell me so i can check and post the result here, shikena . undecided
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by PapaBrowne(m): 1:12pm On Dec 11, 2009
edoyad:

@Beaf, So going by what i have said, i'm sure we can compile our own little developmental Index here.

@EDOYAD
If you want to use these as criteria for comparing Delta State with Lagos state, then you've just nailed yourself.
You criteria is a fair one, but it would work so much in favor of Delta State.
I will take it one by one:

1)State of Security.
Lagos state without question is the most insecure state in the country after Anambra. The rate of Armed robbery in the state is second to none nation wide. Lagos has one of the highest incidences of homicide not only in all of Africa, but throughout the globe.

Delta state on the other hand, although soaked with loads of highly sophisticated weapons both on the sides of the military and the militants, happens to record some of the lowest incidences of crime in the whole country.
For instance, in the last 5 years, there has never been a bank robbery in the city of Warri. Its practically impossible to rob a bank because ofvery active high level security presence across the state.

2) Level of education and access to it
Lagos State with a population of 16 million has just 4 Universities.= UNILAG, LASU, Caleb University & Pan African University.
Delta State with a population of 4 million has 4 universities = DELSU, Western Delta Univ, Novena Univ & Fed. Univ. of Petro. Tech.

Delta & Edo state students have for the past two decades, colonized the top spot in any of the various national exams including JAMB, NCE, et al.
Delta state produces far more graduates than Lagos state depite the huge population difference.
The decrepit nature of government schools in Lagos state cannot in anyway, by any standard be compared with those in Delta state.

Electricity and water
Please don't even start with this one. Delta state has zero problems with water. Zero. The water levels are so high and clean in Delta state by nature's providence that there is hardly a need for the Government to ever do anything about Water supply. Clean water is abundant beyond measure.
On electricity, everybody knows Lagos state has the biggest problem in the country.

Transportation in all forms and ramifications of it.
I wouldn't say much besides the fact that despite the huge number of vehicles in Delta state, there is hardly any incidence of hold ups as every trunk A road has been dualised to create free flow of traffic.
Public transport for the residents of Delta State is brand new air conditioned Toyota Hiace buses.

Housing

Cost of land in LAGOS has made it practically impossible for even the upper middle class to build their own homes. The rents required for some properties in Lagos would build you a comfortable one in some areas of Delta State.

Healthcare:
There is no comparison. Delta state is fortunate to be blessed with a Medical Doctor as Governor, so naturally health care has been on of the focal points of the current administration. Primary care for Pregnant Women, Children and the aged is absolutely free in Delta state.
Lagos cannot boast of such.

Looking at this comparison, it is easy to see why Delta state has the best Human Development index in the country.

Comparing the perfomance of Lagos State Governor with that of Delta State, I sincerely think FASHOLA has performed a little better than Uduaghan, for the simple fact that Delta State has had top grapple with some issues such as the recent Niger Delta Crisis which we all know is a result of the federal Governments policies.
That said, Delta State is a far more liveable place than Lagos and sincerely, there is no comparison.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by edoyad(m): 1:32pm On Dec 11, 2009
Delta state is so safe that virtually all the oil companies have relocated to LAGOS state Inspite of lagos not having one oil well abi ?
What is the employment situation in Delta state ?
Dude, do you think those your funny institutions is what is meant by education ?
Do you know what transportation is ? Well transportation has a lot with conducive public/mass transportation - even Fifa don't give you hosting rights without that.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Beaf: 1:49pm On Dec 11, 2009
^
Childish comments like this are precisely why I challenged you to go find the figures for yourself (from where ever). Numbers don't lie.  cool
Delta state has the highest Human Development Index (HDI) in Nigeria and your arguments won't change that. Find out the figures and you will stop arguing immediately. grin grin grin grin grin

@PapaBrowne
Thanks a lot for that brilliant input. Vintage as usual.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by ProAnti: 1:55pm On Dec 11, 2009
edoyad:

Delta state is so safe that virtually all the oil companies have relocated to LAGOS state Inspite of lagos not having one oil well abi ?
Dude, do you think those your funny institutions is what is meant by education ?
Do you know what transportation is ? Well transportation has a lot with conducive public/mass transportation - even Fifa don't give you hosting rights without that.

I think Edoyad needs to learn how to argue in the rgiht manner.
U dont argue with only refutations. You bring out ur own points backed with statistics and logic.

That aside, I've only spent more than one week in 4 states(Kaduna, Rivers, Lagos and Delta) in the last 12 months and from what I knew about those states and what I see now, I think all of them are performing.
In terms of Infrastructural development, Fashola and Amechi are miles ahead of Uduaghan and Sambo.
In terms of Humand capital development, Uduaghan is doing great.
In terms of reorientation and value perception, Fashola and Uduaghan.
Health, I cant really say, but I know Fashola builds larger structures probably because of the cost and scarcity of land in Lagos.
Security, Sambo. hmmm! Uduaghan considering the state of lawlessness that was evident as a result of the ND struggle; Fashola, considering the population of the state.
Over all, Fashola and  Amechi. But the masses hate these people.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by PapaBrowne(m): 2:01pm On Dec 11, 2009
edoyad:

Do you know what transportation is ? Well transportation has a lot with conducive public/mass transportation - even Fifa don't give you hosting rights without  that.

@edoyad
You are a funny person. And you sound very ignorant too.

Oil companies relocated from Delta State for the simple reason that their expatraite staff are the target of the Militants. The crux of their agitation is related to the oil industry, so naturally the oil companies don't feel at home.The residents of Delta state on the other hand, never feel insecure about the presence of militants as their presence seems to have driven out armed robbery and other sundry crimes from  the state.

Employment in Delta state is one of the highest in the country. Have you forgotten that Delta State is the seat of Nigeria's oil industry Do you have any idea the billions of dollars worth of projects that go on in the oil industry on a yearly basis?? Ever hear of Escravos?? Boy, you've got to be ignorant to ask that question!

The institutions I mentioned are just a marker to point the low level of access to education in Lagos State in the face of its massive population.

Anytime I visit Delta State, I look around for signs poverty, I don't see any.Sincerely!!
Anytime I land in Lagos, there is so much poverty, suffering, chaos and squalor everywhere I turn. There are 16 million people in Lagos. I don't think up to 4 million of that number live above poverty.The rest 12 million live in pathetic conditions. No matter the pace of Fashola's work, it would take at least 30 years to make real impact in Lagos.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by PapaBrowne(m): 2:10pm On Dec 11, 2009
Pro Anti:

I think Edoyad needs to learn how to argue in the rgiht manner.
U dont argue with only refutations. You bring out your own points backed with statistics and logic.

That aside, I've only spent more than one week in 4 states(Kaduna, Rivers, Lagos and Delta) in the last 12 months and from what I knew about those states and what I see now, I think all of them are performing.
In terms of Infrastructural development, Fashola and Amechi are miles ahead of Uduaghan and Sambo.
In terms of Humand capital development, Uduaghan is doing great.
In terms of reorientation and value perception, Fashola and Uduaghan.
Health, I cant really say, but I know Fashola builds larger structures probably because of the cost and scarcity of land in Lagos.
Security, Sambo. hmmm! Uduaghan considering the state of lawlessness that was evident as a result of the ND struggle; Fashola, considering the population of the state.
Over all, Fashola and  Amechi. But the masses hate these people.

Perfect analysis.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by wunmilyn(f): 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2009
no long story, . . . . . . .

FASHOLA rules
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by paddylo1(m): 2:34pm On Dec 11, 2009
Lagos state without question is the most insecure state in the country after Anambra. The rate of Armed robbery in the state is second to none nation wide. Lagos has one of the highest incidences of homicide not only in all of Africa, but throughout the globe.

are u a mad man?. . .lagos has one of the lowest incidence of crime for any city its size. . .in the world

as for homicide,lots of cities in southafrica,brazil,america and the U.K are ranked as more dangerous and deadly than lagos

get your head str8,and stop stating facts u got from your as*s
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by FACE(m): 3:01pm On Dec 11, 2009
2) Level of education and access to it
Lagos State with a population of 16 million has just  4 Universities.= UNILAG, LASU, Caleb University & Pan African University.
Delta State with a population of 4 million has 4 universities = DELSU, Western Delta Univ, Novena Univ & Fed. Univ. of Petro. Tech.

Delta & Edo state students have for the past two decades, colonized the top spot in any of the various national exams including JAMB, NCE, et al.
Delta state produces far more graduates than Lagos state depite the huge population difference.
The decrepit nature of government schools in Lagos state cannot in anyway, by any standard  be  compared with those in Delta state.

Electricity and water
Please don't even start with this one. Delta state has zero problems with water. Zero. The water levels are so high and clean in Delta state by nature's providence that there is hardly a need for the Government to ever do anything about Water supply. Clean water is abundant beyond measure.
On electricity, everybody knows Lagos state has the biggest problem in the country.

@ PapaBrown

Anambra state with less than 600 recorded cases is indeed one of the states with the lowest crime rates according to police report of 2008. Check page 138 of http://www.nigeriapolice.org/NPF-2008_Annual-Report-Final1.pdf. Lagos tops the list with more than 12,000 cases and Delta criminals with nearly 5000 cases no carry last either.

Sorry, but Jamb statistics show that the top three state have been Imo, Anambra and Delta for a while.

However, there are very good reasons why lagos may never make the top spot. Lagos is more or less an immigrant society and Jamb statistics are based on states of origin of applicants not states of residence. Of course I know that some people claim states other than their own in order to get around the quota nonsense but the number is not significant.

Another factor could be that lagos population might be mostly post university education and  "I too old to go school" age groups. A statistics of the age spread would be helpful here.

Remember, this is not about achievements of indigenes but the development of areas by their governors regardless of the origin of the inhabitants.

How do you mean  clean water is abundant by natures providence ? Did nature provide the water all the way to their homes via pipes or do they have to go and fetch the water  from the supposedly oil polluted waters?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by pacodas: 4:28pm On Dec 11, 2009
[size=20pt]From the Ongoing comments I have made a shortlist Lets vote for the best governor. Your Vote Counts [/size]
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by PapaBrowne(m): 4:48pm On Dec 11, 2009
pacodas:

[size=20pt]From the Ongoing comments I have made a shortlist Lets vote for the best governor. Your Vote Counts [/size]
@Pacodas
You gleefully omitted the Delta State Governor whose state has been a major discourse in this thread!.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by pacodas: 4:53pm On Dec 11, 2009
PapaBrowne:

@Pacodas
You gleefully omitted the Delta State Governor whose state has been a major discourse in this thread!.

Oh I must be out of my minds I thot I added Him. Please Moderator Add Emmanuel Uduaghan (Delta State)
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by jona2: 5:14pm On Dec 11, 2009
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by stonizzle: 5:25pm On Dec 11, 2009
Who is gonna get its Fashola or Chime. Lets give it to Chime
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Noah69: 6:12pm On Dec 11, 2009
Just heard today that there is a plot to unseat governor Fashola with ex-gov Tinubu behind it. It seems Fashola has decided that Lagos state is not really Tinubu's cash cow and the money could be better served serving us in the country. Lagosians, be aware!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Alison-Madueke Named In N59tr Shady Oil-Deal / President Jonathan & President Peres Of Israel (Photos) / Jonathan Receives N100.5m Donations To Buy PDP Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.