Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,693 members, 7,813,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

Best Governor Of The Year 2009 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Best Governor Of The Year 2009 (23319 Views)

Poll: Vote The Best Governor Of this Year

Barr Sullivan Chime (Enugu): 9% (15 votes)
Com. Adams Oshomole (Edo): 6% (11 votes)
Barr Babatunde Fashola (Lagos): 68% (114 votes)
Mr. Peter Obi (Anambra): 4% (7 votes)
Mr. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi (Rivers): 7% (12 votes)
Mohammed Namadi Sambo (Kaduna): 0% (1 vote)
Gabriel Suswam (Benue): 1% (3 votes)
Ibrahim Shekarau (Kano): 1% (2 votes)
Martin Elechi (Ebonyi): 0% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Imoke Wins Best Governor Award / Fashola, Mimiko, Oshiomole Or Okorocha: Who Is The Best Governor? / Perez: Rochas Okorocha Ranks Best Governor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:21am On Dec 09, 2009
Tpia,

You are somewhat right; however the East is less dusty than the West. The soil in the East is more of laterite clay than sand and silt, making  it more dense but also more prone to gully erosion.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 1:22am On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara:

^^^^^^^
You will be surprised that if everything is taken together (revenue available vis-avis- development, how spread is the development, how many people are negatively affected by the development and how many are positively affected, etc), Fasola might not be the best governor

^^nominate your own candidate, together with your reasons for doing so nah
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:24am On Dec 09, 2009
^^^^^^^

I deal with raw stats not sentiments and mere conjectures. I am unable to nominate anyone because the facts needed to make a wholistic judgement are simply not within my reach now.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 1:27am On Dec 09, 2009
@nchara
governance is not mathematics.Rivers,akwa ibom,delta,bayelsa states receives federal monthly allocation lagos but does that make any changes to the region.Government is also about commitment and dedication which fashola has shown over other governors
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Beaf: 1:33am On Dec 09, 2009
~Bluetooth:

@nchara
governance is not mathematics.Rivers,akwa ibom,delta,bayelsa states receives federal monthly allocation lagos but does that make any changes to the region.Government is also about commitment and dedication which fashola has shown over other governors

Eh? angry Calm down!

Delta state has the highest Human Development Index in Nigeria.

Bayelsa state is new. . . Rivers state is doing fine thank you!
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:37am On Dec 09, 2009
BlueTooth,

Physical infrastructure is just a part of development. Other developmental indices are still not accounted for. It might interest you to note that Lagos is the poorest state in the south ( in terms of GDP Par capita) and that some of the states you mentioned have far higher HDI than Lagos. You have to account for every aspect of development before you can arrive at the best gov. Unless you of course mean just infrastructure development, in which case you take into account the amount received by each state for devpt. BTW, Lagos receives far more VAT than others, generates far more IGR than others.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by AloyEmeka6: 1:43am On Dec 09, 2009
Kogi state governor is doing very well too. So we have Lagos, Cross River, Rivers, Imo, Enugu and Benue states led by serious governors. Others like Theodore Orji and Ekiti governor are in the league of Alao bleaching Akala.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 1:45am On Dec 09, 2009
Just look at real professional and visionary administrators.

I watch this video and can't help but wonder if other states in the country go ever catch up. Makes other state leaders look like kindergarten administrators,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSE1i08dbtE
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:45am On Dec 09, 2009
Emeka,

What about Obi of Anambra. I think he should be in the A-list too. No?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:46am On Dec 09, 2009
BP,

Again the penchant to run to the press to show case.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by AloyEmeka6: 1:48am On Dec 09, 2009
babapupa:

Just look at real professional and visionary administrators.

I watch this video and can't help but wonder if other states in the country go ever catch up. Makes other state leaders look like kindergarten administrators,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSE1i08dbtE

Lagos receives more revenue than all these states you are comparing them with. What Rivers can easily afford for example, Jigawa will have to save for 5 years before they can afford it. Measure the state's economic indexes before making comparisons.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 1:50am On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara:

BP,

Again the penchant to run to the press to show case.

if the press doesnt showcase, how will people know what's being done?

word of mouth is more unreliable.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:53am On Dec 09, 2009
An observation about Lagos:

Lagos generates a huge IGR due in most part to its huge population and the income and consumption taxes (VAT) from the people. However it still remains the poorest state in the south (by per capita) due to the same excessive population. While Lagos' huge population is due to influx of other Nigerians and foreigners, its huge revenue is, however, also due to these people. So Lago is a paradox.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:54am On Dec 09, 2009
Thanks Emeka. Any comparison that does not account for accruable revenue and other developmental indices is null and void
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 1:55am On Dec 09, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Lagos receives more revenue than all these states you are comparing them with. What Rivers can easily afford for example, Jigawa will have to save for 5 years before they can afford it. Measure the state's economic indexes before making comparisons.

Jigawa state

Average household size was about 6.7 almost all of which were headed by males. About 60% of household heads were self-employed with agriculture as their main occupation, and nearly two-thirds of these households were monogamous families. The overall literacy rate was about 37% in 2002 (22 percent for women and 51 percent for men). School enrolment ratio is fairly high with very good improvements in the last few years, even though there is still clear disparity between boys and girls.

Basic indicators for water supply sector show that access to potable water is over 90%, which is among the highest in the country. The 2002 CWIQ Survey however, indicated that while access to high quality safe drinking water (pipe born, hand pump boreholes and protected wells) is low at about 63%, nearly two-thirds of households have good means of sanitation. In terms of heath services, about two-fifths of the population have access to medical services which is, however, higher in urban areas where access was found to be about 55%. The CWIQ Survey found that an average of 70% of those who consulted a heath facility expressed satisfaction with the services provided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigawa_State
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:57am On Dec 09, 2009
Beef:

New HDI reports are out and Delta may still have, or not have, the highest HDI for 2009. Been trying to lay my hands on the PDF, but from available report, the North still remains at the bottom of the ladder.

=================================================================================================================
Nine Northern states top poverty list
By Gbenga Omokhunu Published Yesterday News Rating: Unrated
•Minister launches 2009 human development report
Nine states in the North are on top of the poverty list, according to National Human Development Report (NHDR) for 2009.

The Head, Technical Committee of the NHDR Advisory Board, Prof. Ode Ojowu, yesterday in Abuja said the the states with relatively improved Human Development Index (HDI) also have lower poverty prevalence.

He said the country experienced growth in 2009, but the quality of the growth had not lead to transformation.

He said government needed to address mechanisms that would make the market work for the poor.

His words: "Even though poverty is nationwide, but the mother of poverty is Northern Nigeria with nine states."

Also,National Planning Commission Minister Dr. Shamsuddeen Usman, who launched the NHDR, said the Federal Government had collaborated with various international organisations to initiate specific, multidimensional development programmes, channelled towards poverty alleviation, employment and wealth creation.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by mamagee3(f): 1:57am On Dec 09, 2009
Best Governor of the Year Award goes to Fashola. cheesy cheesy
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 2:00am On Dec 09, 2009
Not so easy to get an overall best gov with the facts available to us (just infrastructure only). May be we put them in different categories e.g., infrastructure, fiscal management, etc etc.

For e.g., Obi (Anambra) has been adjudged the best in terms of fiscal management by the World Bank
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by 0hsisi: 2:01am On Dec 09, 2009
Fashola for sure.
That akala man looks like a womanizer.I can see it in his eyes
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 2:06am On Dec 09, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

You just stated known basic considerations and it has nothing to do with my observation and obvious realities. Cut and dice anyway you like, the equation and realities remains the same. The video clearly highlights the imbalance and chocking state of professionalism and awareness in our state houses.

Money/resources counts of course, but of what use is your money if you don't have vision, dedicated and sophistication professionals to transform your money into needed development and good quality of life for your people?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 2:10am On Dec 09, 2009
BP,

Get it, the quality of life of an average Lagosian is lower than that of people many other southern states. Delta and Edo and Anambra for sure. Will get the rest data soon.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 2:11am On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara:

Thanks Emeka. Any comparison that does not account for accruable revenue and other developmental indices is null and void

It's not always about  how huge your pocket is, it's about your visions and what you do with what you have in your pocket regardless the size.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 2:15am On Dec 09, 2009
What is the evidence that other govs are not doing something with the little they have. On the average, the quality of life of Lagosians is lower than that of the people of many other southern states. Delta and Edo and Anambra for sure. Will get the rest data soon.
babapupa:

It's not always about  how huge your pocket is, it's about your visions and what you do with what you have in your pocket regardless the size.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 2:21am On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara:

BP,

Get it, the quality of life of Lagosians is lower than that of people many other southern states. Delta and Edo and Anambra for sure. Will get the rest data soon.

Sorry, I'm not trying get into redundant argument. You're free to post your own video to counter the one I posted and my observation

I understand the fact that we all have regional prides, but why is it sometimes hard for us to accept obvious truths?,
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 2:25am On Dec 09, 2009
^^^^^
What is obvious truth? That you base your assessment of the ''best gov'' on only a single aspect of a whole? How many people in Lagos are benefitting from the physical infrastructures?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 2:27am On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara:

What is the evidence that other govs are not doing something with the little they have. On the average, the quality of life of Lagosians is lower than that of the people of many other southern states. Delta and Edo and Anambra for sure. Will get the rest data soon.

And what is the evidence that they are?  

I don't think the video has anything to do with quality of life, it's says infrastructure forum. You're of course free to start your own quality of life thread and have at it.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 2:27am On Dec 09, 2009
If gov x receives 200 naira (by virtue of a large population and thus large taxes and other revenues) and executes  5 projects and gov y recieves 100 naira (due to less population and thus less tax and other revenues) and executes only 2.5 projetcs, is there any difference between their performance?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 2:28am On Dec 09, 2009
Some govs are not just interested in running to the press to showcase their ''achievements'' (note achievements in quotes) for political reasons. That does not mean they are not working.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Beaf: 2:32am On Dec 09, 2009
0hsisi:

Fashola for sure.
That akala man looks like a womanizer.I can see it in his eyes

Are you talking about women in the natural or spirit World? shocked shocked shocked
. . .Because dat man wowo. . . . . .
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 2:33am On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara:

^^^^^
What is obvious truth? That you base your assessment of the ''best gov'' on only a single aspect of a whole? How many people in Lagos are benefitting from the physical infrastructures?

Why don't you go ahead and prove me wrong.

My obvious truth is the fact that Lagos is far ahead of other states in Nigeria in all aspects including governance, infrastructural development, man power development and many more. Like I said, feel free to prove me wrong.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 2:37am On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara:

Some govs are not just interested in running to the press to showcase their ''achievements'' (note achievements in quotes) for political reasons. That does not mean they are not working.

Fashola don't have to run to the press to show off, his handiwork is littered all around Lagosians and they see it all day/everyday. It's out there in the open.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 2:40am On Dec 09, 2009
Eye On Lagos - Governance in Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHv-uGwvsI

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

I Deserve Ministerial Nomination, Says Lai Mohammed / Alani Bankole: Stop Imposing Wrong Candidates On Nigerians / Bomb Blast Rocks Maiduguri Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.