Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? (10367 Views)

Tunde Bakare Worried That APC Govt Is Finding It Difficult To Bring "Change" / Who Is The Most Corrupt President In Nigeria So Far? / What Is So Difficult In Road Building? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 9:51pm On Dec 16, 2009
You forgot to add that in the same US of A Millions of the infrastructural development projects and actual development of citizens are not RUN by the private sector but by government. You forgot to add the many developmental projects currently funded by the government to help DEVELOP and ensure individuals are able to catch up should they need to ( welfare, housing, unemployment projects etc programs out there) You also forgot to mention that if government were to pull out today, the economy would fall like a ton of bricks. COME ON!!!

Why do we like to deal dishonestly when we are dealing with our own selves here?

total Govt spending in the U.S is about 22% of GDP. . .majority of the economy is still private sector driven
Most economists will tell u that govt spending crowds out private sector investments
it hurts the economy 2-3yrs out. . especially if the government is borrowing to spend like it is doing in the U.S right now.  . .
even obama touts his stimulus as being majority private sector driven.  .that means most of the contracts awarded are done by the private sector
again govt is just trying to pull the economy out of recession with its spending. . .
its the normal business cycle and its been going on for the last 100yrs
even without the stimulus the economy here would still have pulled itself out. . once interest rates were slashed to 0% by the feds

as for welfare and unemployment benefits. . well thats not development.thats becoming a nanny state.  .
i would not advocate that for nigeria.  .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 9:58pm On Dec 16, 2009
paddy_lo:

total Govt spending in the U.S is about 22% of GDP. . .majority of the economy is still private sector driven
Most economists will tell u that govt spending crowds out private sector investments
it hurts the economy 2-3yrs out. . especially if the government is borrowing to spend like it is doing in the U.S right now.  . .
even obama touts his stimulus as being majority private sector driven.  .that means most of the contracts awarded are done by the private sector
again govt is just trying to pull the economy out of recession with its spending. . .
its the normal business cycle and its been going on for the last 100yrs
even without the stimulus the economy here would still have pulled itself out. . once interest rates were slashed to 0% by the feds

as for welfare and unemployment benefits. . well thats not development.thats becoming a nanny state.  .
i would not advocate that for nigeria.  .

Sigh!!! I don't even know where to start.  I will simply say AGAIN. . . . DEVELOPMENT is one thing, GROWING an economy is ANOTHER!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 9:59pm On Dec 16, 2009
Please, can we stop labeling the Private sector as new SAVIOUR of some kind?  Not saying the Private sector is EVIL for looking everywhere it can for profit, NO. I believe in making profit but I will be first to admit that any country  expecting the private sector to bail it out of its own lack of good government is fooling itself.  The recent global economic crisis revealed something huge to the whole world. How can anyone, after all this come in to proclaim the PRIVATE SECTOR the new JESUS of the world?

Any well meaning being will readily admit that the private sector works only as well as the public does.  Companies are not going to go out to educate people just because.  Why do we like to deal dishonestly when we are dealing with our own selves here?

[b]u are obviously left leaning. . thats ok. .

just know that. . the reason the private sector is the only saviour(not just the new one),is that it ensures an efficient allocation of capital
whearas govt spending is almost always misplaced,unproductive and innefficient

look at the markets here.  .u have an idea. . u approach the markets. . those that believe in u invest in it in the form of an IPO. . .
if it thrives like GOOGLE. . u become a millionaire. .and make others too millionaires. .

if it fails like. . tons of dot com era companies. . .(eg mama.com). .u loose and move on to the next idea.  .
no corruption,no man know man. .

if N.N.PC was privatized i can wake up tommorrow and buy into it on the nigerian stock exchange. .
i can vote directors out. . with other shareholders of course and so on. . every nigerian wins. .not just some cabal

i could go on and on.  .look into russia,cuban,north korean,virtually all govt controlled states and why they failed or are failing. . .
govt is usually an impediment to growth and development.  .[/b]
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Dec 16, 2009
paddy_lo:

[b][size=15pt]u are obviously left leaning. . [/size] thats ok. .

just know that. . the reason the private sector is the only saviour(not just the new one),is that it ensures an efficient allocation of capital
whearas govt spending is almost always misplaced,unproductive and innefficient

look at the marets here.  .u have an idea. . u approach the markets. . those that believe in u invest in it in the form of an IPO. . .
if it thrives like GOOGLE. . u become a millionaire. .and make others too millionaires. .

if it fails like. . tons of dot com era companies. . .(eg mama.com). .u loose and move on to the next idea.  .
no corruption,no man know man. .

if N.N.PC was privatized i can wake up tommorrow and buy into it on the nigerian stock exchange. .
i can vote directors out. . with othere shareholders of course and so on. . every nigerian wins. .not just some cabal

i could go on and on.  .look into russia,cuban,north korean,virtually all govt controlled states and why they failed or are failing. . .
govt is usually an impediment to growth and development.  .[/b]

The line in size 15 font there KILLED YOU!!!! Roflmao!!! me, left leaning?? Roflmao!!!   grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

I will simply say this yet AGAIN. . . . DEVELOPMENT IS NOT to be confused with GROWTH in an economy !!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 10:02pm On Dec 16, 2009
The line in size 15 font there KILLED YOU!!!! Roflmao!!! me, left leaning?? Roflmao!!!

it doesnt kill me. . .if u are not left leaning then its fine. . .but i never heard a right leaning economist advocate for welfare and govt spending before
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 10:08pm On Dec 16, 2009
I will simply say this yet AGAIN. . . . DEVELOPMENT IS NOT  to be confused with GROWTH in an economy !!!

economic growth and increase in productivity is the only way to lift people out of poverty. . .

thats how its been done for the past 200yrs. . . .

as for development. . .maybe u can define what that means to u. . .

because most serious economists do not go about seperating the two. . .growth and development go hand in hand
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 10:09pm On Dec 16, 2009
paddy_lo:

it doesnt kill me. . .if u are not left leaning then its fine. . .but i never heard a right leaning economist advocate for welfare and govt spending before
Well, maybe you have no clue what the right and independents really advocate. You mean we ought to let government swim in the millions of tax dollars it gets from us while it does absolutely nothing for us with that money? So, if we pay $900 billion a year in taxes, we ought to forget about that money and not call for government to use it to improve our public schools, healthcare and what nots? You mean government should not be called to do nothing at all with resources we continue to pay it to use for our benefit?

Welfare is NOT ALL evil. If you read up on what those in the left say, they are not calling for a complete abolishment because it is hard, especially in these times to escape the many benefits such programs offer. Most calls on welfare are for complete overhaul -- rebuild sort of, to make sure resources are reaching those who need it and not continuing to go to those who don’t.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Dec 16, 2009
paddy_lo:

[b]economic growth and increase in productivity is the only way to lift people out of poverty. . .

thats how its been done for the past 200yrs. . . .
That is not true. You forgot to mention that BEFORE the private sector came in to grow the US economy, the government had to lay down the basics, and hence the reason why growth has been able to go hand in hand with development for as long as it has.

In the case of Nigeria however, the private sector has long been in the picture but the base development work never really done and so the reason why we continue to experience growth but little to no development in most every sector. Look closely at the figures for goodness sake. We have been doing this for decades now and the report card has been in for a while now.

paddy_lo:

as for development. . .maybe u can define what that means to u. . .

because most serious economists do not go about seperating the two. . .growth and development go hand in hand

Consider @Ladejs posting for an idea of what development actually is. Most serious economists actually understand that growth does not spell development in any way. If you look at reviews on china which consider the big picture, you would understand why china’s growth has yet to propel it off of the developing countries list even as it now runs with the big economic powers.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 10:16pm On Dec 16, 2009
Well, maybe you have no clue what the right and independents really advocate. You mean we ought to let government swim in the millions of tax dollars it gets from us while it does absolutely nothing for us with that money? So, if we pay $900 billion a year in taxes, we ought to forget about that money and not call for government to use it to improve our public schools, healthcare and what nots? You mean government should not be called to do nothing at all with resources we continue to pay it to use for our benefit?

Welfare is NOT ALL evil. If you read up on what those in the left say, they are not calling for a complete abolishment because it is hard, especially in these times to escape the many benefits such programs offer. Most calls on welfare are for complete overhaul -- rebuild sort of, to make sure resources are reaching those who need it and not continuing to go to those who don’t.

maybe u shouldnt give up so much to the govt in the first place.  .maybe govt should cut the top income tax rate to 15%.  .and let the private sector/citizens(the original owners of the capital by the way),spend the money how they deem fit. . .
again most right leaning people and independents will never argue what u argue here.  . .most will tell the govt to cut down its size and give the money back to the citizens in form of tax cuts. . .thats why i called u left leaning in the first place. . no offense intended

as for welfare. . .i believe it leads to an overburden of the state. .its a misplacement of resources
because u take that money from corporations that pay taxes and give it to non tax paying citizens
everyone looses.  .even the govt. .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 10:23pm On Dec 16, 2009
paddy_lo:

[b]maybe u shouldnt give up so much to the govt in the first place.  .maybe govt should cut the top income tax rate to 15%.  .and let the private sector/citizens(the original owners of the capital by the way),spend the money how they deem fit. . .
I am not the one delegating the responsibilities of government to the private sector here.  Government has it’s place in every society and should focus on doing it’s job, not handing it off to the private sector, UNELECTED by the people to do such.

paddy_lo:

again most right leaning people and independents will never argue what u argue here.  . .most will tell the govt to cut down its size and give the money back to the citizens in form of tax cuts. . .thats why i called u left leaning in the first place. . no offense intended

Like I said, it is obvious you have your own TWIST there on what most right leaning individuals think of government and its place. Independents and right leaning people do not advocate for no government at all. Most want reduced government, as in government having less control over the lives of people ( freedom essentially), focused more on helping develop people and country.

paddy_lo:

as for welfare. . .i believe it leads to an overburden of the state. .its a misplacement of resources
because u take that money from corporations that pay taxes and give it to non tax paying citizens
everyone looses.  .even the govt. . 

I am gonna guess you have NEVER really experienced welfare  or any of the government programs first hand to know much of the other side, have you?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 10:30pm On Dec 16, 2009
That is not true. You forgot to mention that BEFORE the private sector came in to grow the US economy, the government had to lay down the basics, and hence the reason why growth has been able to go hand in hand with development for as long as it has.

In the case of Nigeria however, the private sector has long been in the picture but the base development work never really done and so the reason why we continue to experience growth but little to no development in most every sector. Look closely at the figures for goodness sake.  We have been doing this for decades now and the report card has been in for a while now.

[b]i dont know what u mean by lay down the basics. . but america has always been from its founding a private sector driven nation
D.C for the most part has been irrelevant to americas bankers and businessmen. .
why do u think the dow jones is in new york and not d.c?
or the commodities exchange in chicago?

most ppl will tell u that americas laws were written to protect private property and nothing more. .
with strong property rights u can now buy and sell. . trade becomes king.  .even the so called boston tea party was based on an opposition to higher taxes
again. . .less govt has always been cherished. .

as for increase in productivity being the only way to lift people out of poverty,i dont want to go into long theories of macro-economics
dont wanna chase everyone out of this thread. . .
however i will give u a simple example of a poor farmer anywhere in the world,lets say northern nigeria. . .
if he can increase his productivity by say 50% every yr. . .then in 5yrs compounded he would have astronomically improved his purchasing power and personal gdp per capita. .
how does he do this?.  .by learning better farming techniques. . improved skills,high grade seeds,better access to loans and so on. . .
crop yields improve. . .he can export or sell more. . .he makes more money. . .
thats what productivity does for u. . it helps u squeeze out more with less. . .
thats how the U.S became rich. . .
and this by the way can be replicated in every sector of the economy,from housing,to manufacturing to services
again if u ever get a chance to listen to ben bernanke testify.  .listen to him when he talks about what an increase in productivity does for an economy and its people[/b]
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 10:36pm On Dec 16, 2009
Again, GROWTH is NOT, I repeat NOT to be confused with Development. Can you see it even in your own examples??
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 10:40pm On Dec 16, 2009
I am not the one delegating the responsibilities of government to the private sector here.  Government has it’s place in every society and should focus on doing it’s job, not handing it off to the private sector, UNELECTED by the people to do such.

the responsibilities of govt is and should be. . .defense,law and order and making and enforcing laws. . .thats it
if govt got out of our way in nigeria,in terms of involvement in power,involvement in nnpc and petrol importation,stupid tarriffs and regulations,policy somersaults and so on
we would grow at 12-15% per annumm for 10yrs. . .and cut poverty by almost 80%. . .after 10yrs
its real easy. . .its a shame u cant see it

I am gonna guess you have NEVER really experienced welfare  or any of the government programs first hand to know much of the other side, have you?
the only welfare i received is living with my moms for free back home in naija. . .last i checked thats private business
again dont get me wrong. . .u can expand welfare during a recession,but it must be temporary. . .say 1yr
and once the recession is over it should be phased out completely
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2009
Again, GROWTH is NOT, I repeat NOT to be confused with Development. Can you see it even in your own examples??

i have no idea what u mean by development? . . .maybe u should expound
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On Dec 16, 2009
To sum it up please, DEVELOPMENT is not to be confused with Growth please. Erecting a factory in a village does not mean the village is developed. Even if the people in that village are employed by the factory and the factory experiences huge profits year after year, you still cannot state that essentially means the village has developed. You can say, unemployment is down in that area (and that argument can be used even if the people are paid a measly feel for their services by said factory), but it would be a serious leap to state that the factory has developed the village if the factory has not proactively done so.

paddy_lo:

i have no idea what u mean by development? . . .maybe u should expound

Please see @Ladej's post for some incite on that.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by lloyd77: 10:51pm On Dec 16, 2009
How do you make development in a society? especially a bent one like
nigeria with a lot of selfish, impeteous and disorientated minds both in
the place of leadership and others. when and how would development begin?
when all we think about is dominion, development would be veiled.
our mindset needs a drastic change before development and growth could be percieved.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 10:57pm On Dec 16, 2009
To sum it up please, DEVELOPMENT is not to be confused with Growth please. Erecting a factory in a village does not mean the village is developed. Even if the people in that village are employed by the factory and the factory experiences huge profits year after year, you still cannot state that essentially means the village has developed. You can say, unemployment is down in that area (and that argument can be used even if the people are paid a measly feel for their services by said factory), but it would be a serious leap to state that the factory has developed the village if the factory has not proactively done so.

u dont really make much sense here. . .if u expounded on this your development theme,then i will know how to answer u

Please see @Ladej's post for some incite on that.

why not say in one or 2 paragraphs what u mean?. . .cause if i replied to what he says u might not agree with everything he said
so seriously i dont know what u mean by development,as a seperate entity from growth. . .still without a clue
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 11:01pm On Dec 16, 2009
paddy_lo:

u dont really make much sense here. . .if u expounded on this your development theme,then i will know how to answer u

why not say in one or 2 paragraphs what u mean?. . .cause if i replied to what he says u might not agree with everything he said
so seriously i dont know what u mean by development,as a seperate entity from growth. . .still without a clue

FInd the post here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-366272.96.html

Please read as I believe it is straight forward, just as my most recent post was.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 11:08pm On Dec 16, 2009
Please read as I believe it is straight forward, just as my most recent post was.

i just read what the ladejs dude posted. . .and it makes no sense whatsoever. .lol

he makes random statements with nothing to back it up. . .

again u leave this discussion at a dead end if u are unable to provide a concrete example of what u mean. . .

so i can rebut it line by line . . .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by ladej(m): 11:10pm On Dec 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

FInd the post here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-366272.96.html

mr kobojunkie how far my broda, till a lot of the contributors to this forum get the difference between growth and development, im afraid you're barking on the wrong trees grin. first they need to understand that a difference exists between growth and development, just like a difference exists between wealth and riches. though babangida may be stinkingly rich and has riches, that doesnt make him wealthy, because wealth is a system of EMPOWERMENT while any fortunate baggar can be rich. contributors abeg align this analogy to the topic and understand we are indeed growing not developing. also even though there is credit crunch that doesnt mean british gas or [insert any other westernised power authority] will take light. grin
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 11:12pm On Dec 16, 2009
Sigh!  lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by ladej(m): 11:36pm On Dec 16, 2009
paddy_lo:

i just read what the ladejs dude posted. . .and it makes no sense whatsoever. .lol

he makes random statements with nothing to back it up. . .

again u leave this discussion at a dead end if u are unable to provide a concrete example of what u mean. . .

so i can rebut it line by line . . .

rather than engage in posting competition i will explain why my 'random statements do make sense. hope this helps,

Economic Growth is a narrower concept than economic development.It is an increase in a country's real level of national output which can be caused by an increase in the quality of resources (by education, health etc.), increase in the quantity of resources & improvements in technology or in another way an increase in the value of goods and services produced by every sector of the economy.Economic Growth can be measured by an increase in a country's GDP, while,

Economic development is a normative concept i.e. it applies in the context of people's sense of morality (right and wrong, good and bad). The definition of economic development given by Michael Todaro is an increase in living standards, improvement in self-esteem needs and freedom from oppression as well as a greater choice.The most accurate method of measuring development is the[b] Human Development Index [/b]which takes into account the literacy rates & life expectancy which affect productivity and could lead to Economic Growth. It also leads to the creation of more opportunities in the sectors of education, healthcare, employment and the conservation of the environment.It implies an increase in the per capita income of every citizen.

to buttress my point,

Development alleviates people from low standards of living into proper employment with suitable shelter.

Economic Growth does not take into account the depletion of natural resources which might lead to pollution, congestion & disease.[gas flaring in niger delta for example and total degradation of its environs]

Development however is concerned with sustainability which means meeting the needs of the present without compromising future needs.

one last one,

development- Brings both qualitative and quantitative changes in the economy [aged population ,low infant mortality rate]
growth- Brings quantitative changes in the economy[i.e. huge foreign reserves of 30 billion dollars but still widespread suffering]

i do hope this brought more clarity to the subject matter.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 11:43pm On Dec 16, 2009
mr kobojunkie how far my broda, till a lot of the contributors to this forum get the difference between growth and development, im afraid you're barking on the wrong trees . first they need to understand that a difference exists between growth and development, just like a difference exists between wealth and riches. though babangida may be stinkingly rich and has riches, that doesnt make him wealthy, because wealth is a system of EMPOWERMENT while any fortunate baggar can be rich. contributors abeg align this analogy to the topic and understand we are indeed growing not developing. also even though there is credit crunch that doesnt mean british gas or [insert any other westernised power authority] will take light.

and u still make no sense. . . .

anytime someone looses an argument they resort to meaningless statements to obfuscate their lack of a sensible argument. . .

what u just stated above is akin to saying. . .i want to fly. . .whilst not having any wings
so u still scream let me fly. . .and insist that flying and having wings are different. . .

whearas the truth is that for u to fly u must have wings and a strong engine. . else how do u achieve escape velocity to propel u higher?
same thing with growth. . . u cant come shouting development,without having a strong growth engine first. .
else how do u propel u and your citizens to a higher level of standard of living?

u can try that double speak with other people. . but not with me. . . .
this is 2010. . .even if u dont have an advanced degree in economics
u can at least read up on how a modern economy works. . . .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On Dec 16, 2009
Good one @Ladej

I am not an economist but that was a good one there. The lack of understanding of the difference between the two is one big reason why we continue to confuse  the our bigger bank accounts, construction of more high rise buildings, new ships, helicopters, newly painted houses with signs of development in Nigeria when the numbers continue to tell us each and every year that even with recorded growth, more and more people continue to fall below the poverty line.

If you have 5% growth in GDP but increase in poverty rate, increase in unemployment, increase in illierary rate, can one still claim developing? I believe it is quite clear that

you can develop without growing, and you can grow without developing. A rubbish heap grows; it doesn’t develop.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 12:00am On Dec 17, 2009
Economic development is a normative concept i.e. it applies in the context of people's sense of morality (right and wrong, good and bad). The definition of economic development given by Michael Todaro is an increase in living standards, improvement in self-esteem needs and freedom from oppression as well as a greater choice.The most accurate method of measuring development is the Human Development Index which takes into account the l[b]iteracy rates[/b] & life expectancy which affect productivity and could lead to Economic Growth. It also leads to the creation of more opportunities in the sectors of education, healthcare, employment and the conservation of the environment.It implies an increase in the per capita income of every citizen.
so in essence u believe govt should legislate morality?

for literacy rates.  .that again deals with relevant laws,which i have already said is what govt is there for. . that means. . making and enforcing laws
like what yr to what someone must be in school and so on. . .

however the ability to enforce such is soley dependent on the resources available.  .which is soley dependent on how much growth and tax revenue is available
eg schools are funded here by property taxes. . .if the property value falls. . taxes collected falls and the schools suffer
again growth is paramount

same for life expectancy and the rest in the HDI

to buttress my point,

Development alleviates people from low standards of living into proper employment with suitable shelter.

Economic Growth does not take into account the depletion of natural resources which might lead to pollution, congestion & disease.[gas flaring in niger delta for example and total degradation of its environs]

Developmen[/b]t however is concerned with [b]sustainability which means meeting the needs of the present without compromising future needs.

one last one,

development- Brings both qualitative and quantitative changes in the economy [aged population ,low infant mortality rate]
growth- Brings quantitative changes in the economy[i.e. huge foreign reserves of 30 billion dollars but still widespread suffering]

i do hope this brought more clarity to the subject matter.

[b]the only way to improve standard of living is through increase in productivity and not any centrally planned economic theory

as for depletion of natural resources.  .again govt is there to make laws. . .there is usually a ying-yang pull on how far govt allows corporations to go on this
dont see what that has to do with anything
as for sustainability u quote. . .i believe its sustainable growth that is used nowadays. .again nothing to see here

your final quote on the foriegn reserves is most revealling
how do u think u will fund the so called decrease in widespread suffereing(as u put it ),or decrease in infant mortality and so on
if there is no growth in the economy? . . .where do u get the money from.  .pluck it from trees?
the only way u have those $30billion in reserves u are eyeing is through economic growth
after that govt can make any laws it deems fit. . like minimum wage laws or workers rights laws and so on

its all well and good. . .but dont confuse this as a chicken and egg problem. .
because u need to grow your economy and grow it fast and rapidly before any other sort of social programs u think of can come in
again if nigeria can grow at 12-15% per annum. . with population growth steady at 3%,after 10 yrs poverty would have been reduced by 80% or thereabouts
get any macro-economic model and plug it in. . . .

seems u confuse govt social programmes with your so-called development. . .[/b]
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by ladej(m): 12:18am On Dec 17, 2009
paddy_lo:

so in essence u believe govt should legislate morality?

[b]no i dont think morality should be legalised. it comes free of charge when you have a developed country. development is the reason why a head of department wont put all his/her workers salary in a fixed deposit to accrue interest, whilst the employees are crying out for their paychecks, as it is done in some areas in nigeria.

for literacy rates.  .that again deals with relevant laws,which i have already said is what govt is there for. . that means. . making and enforcing laws
like what yr to what someone must be in school and so on. . .

basic literacy is being able to read and write, also being able to discern right from wrong, i.e. it is right to pee in your house, wrong to pee on the road[ you dont need to go to Harvard to know that.

however the ability to enforce such is soley dependent on the resources available.  .which is soley dependent on how much growth and tax revenue is available
eg schools are funded here by property taxes. . .if the property value falls. . taxes collected falls and the schools suffer
again growth is paramount

here you impress me with your thought process. taxation is a key tool for growth, and if sustained over a long period can aid development. bravo

same for life expectancy and the rest in the HDI
[/b]
the only way to improve standard of living is through increase in productivity and not any centrally planned economic theory

[b]this is incorrect. the UK dont produce anything anymore, just services like banking. manufacturing is at an all time low, unless the productivity you refer to is service based, there are numerous ways to improve standard of living. a good police force will aid that

as for depletion of natural resources.  .again govt is there to make laws. . .there is usually a ying-yang pull on how far govt allows corporations to go on this
dont see what that has to do with anything

why do you think global warming and climate change is a biggie??

as for sustainability u quote. . .i believe its sustainable growth that is used nowadays. .again nothing to see here

no comment here

your final quote on the foriegn reserves is most revealling
how do u think u will fund the so called decrease in widespread suffereing(as u put it ),or decrease in infant mortality and so on
if there is no growth in the economy? . . .where do u get the money from.  .pluck it from trees?
the only way u have those $30billion in reserves u are eyeing is through economic growth
after that govt can make any laws it deems fit. . like minimum wage laws or workers rights laws and so on

you seem a bit confused. i never said there wasnt growth, there clearly is growth in nigeria, not development though. that time will come

its all well and good. . .but dont confuse this as a chicken and egg problem. .
because u need to grow your economy and grow it fast and rapidly before any other sort of social programs u think of can come in
again if nigeria can grow at 12-15% per annum. . with population growth steady at 3%,after 10 yrs poverty would have been reduced by 80% or thereabouts
get any macro-economic model and plug it in. . . .

seems u confuse govt social programmes with your so-called development. . .[/b]

im not confused, my thought process is as smooth as halle berry's face grin

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by paddylo1(m): 12:39am On Dec 17, 2009
development is the reason [/b]why a head of department wont put all his/her workers salary in a fixed deposit to accrue interest, whilst the employees are crying out for their paychecks, as it is done in some areas in nigeria.

[b]no not some pie in the sky term called development,but by enforcement of laws already on the books. . .
hope u know there is corruption everywhere in the states also. . .mayors,house of rep members and so on are busted daily. . .
the difference here is that there is enuff manpower and resources available to those who are charged with enforcing laws

basic literacy is being able to read and write, also being able to discern right from wrong, i.e. it is right to pee in your house, wrong to pee on the road[ you dont need to go to Harvard to know that
again dont see what literacy has to do with this. . .if u pass a law and have the resource to enforce it. .then people wont pee on the street simple
or dont u know ppl are routinely arrested for peeing on the street here?. .again enforce laws that are passed

this is incorrect. the UK dont produce anything anymore, just services like banking. manufacturing is at an all time low, unless the productivity you refer to is service based, there are numerous ways to improve standard of living. a good police force will aid that
productivity growth does not only occur in manufacturing. . .productivity is the ability to do more with less. . .it can come in services sector or any other sector
again u.s productivity growth was the highest in some 5yrs this past 3rd qtr. . .it has helped to increase the wealth of the average u.s employee,also with increased productivity comes increase in company profits. . .which means an increase in the wealth effect in forms of dividends or capital gains

why do you think global warming and[b] climate change is a biggie?[/b]
its not a biggie to most third world economies and china. . .frankly its also not a biggie to half the U.S in the form of republicans and some independents

you seem a bit confused. i never said there wasnt growth, there clearly is growth in nigeria, not development though. that time will come

my point is that nigeria needs to grow faster than it is. . .and govt has to do less not more as u clearly propose

im not confused, my thought process is as smooth as halle berry's face

halle berry eh. . . cool. .am more of a genievive. . .or kelly rowland type of guy. .but its all good. .cheers
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by ladej(m): 12:53am On Dec 17, 2009
paddy_lo:

no not some pie in the sky term called development,but by enforcement of laws already on the books. . .
hope u know there is corruption everywhere in the states also. . .mayors,house of rep members and so on are busted daily. . .
the difference here is that there is enuff manpower and resources available to those who are charged with enforcing laws

again dont see what literacy has to do with this. . .if u pass a law and have the resource to enforce it. .then people wont pee on the street simple
or dont u know ppl are routinely arrested for peeing on the street here?. .again enforce laws that are passed
productivity growth does not only occur in manufacturing. . .productivity is the ability to do more with less. . .it can come in services sector or any other sector
again u.s productivity growth was the highest in some 5yrs this past 3rd qtr. . .it has helped to increase the wealth of the average u.s employee,also with increased productivity comes increase in company profits. . .which means an increase in the wealth effect in forms of dividends or capital gains
its not a biggie to most third world economies and china. . .frankly its also not a biggie to half the U.S in the form of republicans and some independents

my point is that nigeria needs to grow faster than it is. . .and govt has to do less not more as u clearly propose

halle berry eh. . . cool. .am more of a genievive. . .or kelly rowland type of guy. .but its all good. .cheers

glad we agree on quality of women. have a lovely evening
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by jingoma(m): 4:18am On Dec 17, 2009
I don’t even have enough space or time to QUOTE or RE-QUOTE some very sensible comments here by just a couple of individuals. What amazes me is the fact that WE have a lot of brilliant intellectuals functioning well outside Nigeria in foreign lands as contributors to the DEVELOPMENT of these So-Called Western World Countries in the Financial, Medical and Educational sectors but there is something that happens once they get back home that prevents them from implementing the same ideas and I think I know what it is, ACCOUNTABILITY

Look up the word and read up on the factors of Accountability and how it affects everything that’s wrong with Nigeria

All the Theories and Practical ideas in the World will not work until the LAW of the land is well structured and enforced. Nigeria's biggest problem is the fact that no one is held accountable thus the Chaos in Government and in the Private Sector. The Judicial arm of the government has to be very effective otherwise NOTHING else works and for the most part there is no law or it is not enforced.

There is a Yoruba proverb that translates in to English as "A Child that normally sleeps on the floor if put on a mat will roll back on the floor in the middle of the night" My Point? A lot of people that were born into this corrupt and non-functioning society do not even see anything wrong with the country and will point out the fact that FASHOLA bought 2 helicopters as DEVELOPMENT, Are you kidding me?

Sometimes you have to step back to see the big picture. Think about the resources we have available then and look at our country’s roads, schools, hospitals and even basic amenities for the masses and then ask “Why is it not working?” ACCOUNTABILITY!

Everyone should do their little part to hold themselves accountable to doing the right thing and before you know it everything else falls in place.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by agitator: 10:08am On Dec 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Then, I have to say that seems one of the major issues with the Nigeria psyche. Why do we ASSUME that these inept individuals are CLUELESS? They travel abroad more than most Nigerians could ever dream of doing. They shop in developed countries, educate their ward in some of the most expensive schools out there. They ensure they do all they can to get as much as possible for themselves, and go as far as to arrange their kids be married off to individuals who they believe would ensure they are taken care of. Yet we somehow think they are the clueless one here?

Are you saying that CLUELESS individuals are the ones who do all that is possible to get as much as they can for THEMSELVES first ?

That's how young graduates think. How leaders are not educated enough so they don't know how to develop this country. The same leaders will build state of the art modern personal buildings, the former VP has an American standard private university (he was still clueless), Odili built a world class private hospital in SA (still clueless).

Kobojunkie:

No it is NOT! Nothing in Democracy states that the electorates HAVE TO trust their elected leaders. Democracy, by giving power to the people essentially gives the people the express right to call for removal of electorates NOT doing the job for which they were hired for.

[b]Siphoning of public funds DOES NOT SHOW that they have no clue what they are supposed to do when in Power. [/b]You are trying to argue apples and nails here. It is possible to know the right thing to do but still CHOOSE to do wrong.

No. It does not show that. There are no indications that these men are blind in anyway. They do recognize the vast opportunities available to them and take advantage of it in the way they know to. Many of these individuals are business men, only they are mostly involved in businesses to make them QUICK money, just as many non-political Nigerians seem to be, as well.  It is obviously easier to make a million through corrupt means than to make the same amount by doing businesses. So why would you believe a person who chooses to get fast cash is blind and the one who chooses instead to invest in building a business, which would probably go burst before he even makes a penny, is not?

Please help me to enlighten these our people.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 10:45am On Dec 17, 2009
agitator:

That's how young graduates think. How leaders are not educated enough so they don't know how to develop this country. The same leaders will build state of the art modern personal buildings, the former VP has an American standard private university (he was still clueless), Odili built a world class private hospital in SA (still clueless).

Please help me to enlighten these our people.

The Kobojunkie dude was ranting rubbish. He interpreted my statement that Nigerian Leaders are "Anti-developmental" as that I was saying that they are "Clueless".
When leaders have a clue of what to do, but decide to do the opposite, what does it mean? The guy even went ahead to proclaim that the average Nigerians that are struggling to make it in business are way less smarter than the Politicans that decieved the electorates to find their way to power to steal money.
No one thinks that they are not educated. They are simply not right for the political posts that they are holding. The next question that will come to me  is what am I doing to take them out of their posts. The answer is what can I do when it is people like Kobojunkie and his pessimists (that has helplessly accepted the political status quo) that are surpposed to back me up. Except I decide to go into the streets and eliminate people like Kobojunkie and co, nothing much will be done. I have seen the height of Pessmissm in that Kobojunkie dude and his apostles. With time We will know their true identities.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 17, 2009
@ mr. kobunjie or ko shi je

Even me as a young guy can see the problems we are facing in nigeria

Justcash is making a valid point:::

Instead of you contributing/collaborating on how Nigeria will develop,  you are writing absolutely nonsense and arguing blindly  angry   undecided

I believe you are one of the Anti-Nigeria Developmental Agency Scheme

@Justcash I will advise you to kindly stop debating with Mr. Kobojunkie:::

I believe he doesn't know what it takes for a nation to develop.

[/size]Let me give you some example of Development:
1. Reliable medical system (non profit organization)
2. Credible education system (non profit organization)
[size=15pt]3. Constant power supply
[/size]4. Obeying the laws
5. Solid security system
6. National citizen identification system.
7. Credible electoral system
8. Better public transportation system and so on.

We need to treat No.3 Item first,

No. 3 is compulsory so that all the following items on the list will work::: without No. 3,  All the rest will FAIL

Eradication of poverty is not all about pumping & sharing funds but by creating job for his citizens

[size=20pt]#LIghtupNIgeria[/size]
Visit: http://www.lightupnigeria.org/ for more info

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yoruba Women Praise Igbo Men On TV And Finish Yoruba Men / 2019 Ojude Oba : Adenuga Felicitates With Awujale, Ijebu / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Shed $1 Billion, Biggest Fall In 17 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.