Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,193 members, 7,815,164 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? (10368 Views)

Tunde Bakare Worried That APC Govt Is Finding It Difficult To Bring "Change" / Who Is The Most Corrupt President In Nigeria So Far? / What Is So Difficult In Road Building? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 14, 2009
Justcash:

@9ijaganga: What is the symbol of development?

You think development in nigeria will come about by building ajaokuta -style industrial parks all over the place. What exactly are you on about.

Development should start with empowering the citizens through eradication of illiteracy and provision of primary health care.
That will foster self-reliance
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 7:36pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

Yet the federal budget is even under the 25 billion dollars you quoted. I would like a rough breakdown as to how you propose to spend such funds to build the eldorado of your dreams, without neglecting Education Healthcare and Defence and Security.
My point was that we don't need to spend that much to salvage our electric power situation. How could they have spent an amount far more than our national budget without getting it right?
Education, Defense and security are the responsibility of the national governmnent, and can be done in collaboration with the private sector. I know several Nigerians that can invest in health care if they are given the right environment.
Show us the reason why we should invest, then we will invest.
Only a fool will invest in a country where the country's authorities will endeavour to make you fail for some socio-economic, ethnic and political reasons.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 14, 2009
9jaganja:

If we can have Calabar and Abuja that beautiful, I think same can be done for the entire nation but food and education first. People always take development as sky scrappers blah blah blah  that is absolute nonsense. More businesses doesn't symbolize development either. Greedy elitist chumps

What is amazing is that he is even talking about using federal funds to prop up inefficient businesses
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Ikengawo: 7:44pm On Dec 14, 2009
Nigeria has 250 ethnicities and oil. thats why its hard. these elements are disasterous and fuel a culture of cronism and corruption
on top of that i feel our parents generation didn't take the country seriously like their parents generation and our generation so a lot of time has been wasted.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 7:46pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

You think development in nigeria will come about by building ajaokuta -style industrial parks all over the place. What exactly are you on about.

Development should start with empowering the citizens through eradication of illiteracy and provision of primary health care.

How will the highlighted factors help to empower Nigerian citizens Socio-economically? How many literate Nigerian citzens have been empowered? What is the priority range of primary health care as a means of development, above stimulation of economic investments?
Why does Nigerian literate graduates decide to rob, kidnap, do drugs and indulge in crazy social vices? How will health care help to make a citizen self-reliant?
What is your point? That the govt putting in place the marchinery to raise entrepreneurs and stimulate investments is not a solution to the acute joblessness of Nigerians?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

An entrepreneur looks for business opportunities in whatever environment he finds himself. You can't keep whining and expect manna to fall from heaven.

We have millions of entrepreneurs already. I would go as far as to claim that Nigeria has 10 times more entrepreneurs than a country like great britain can boast of.  Why is the country still underdeveloped? I mean from the gala seller to the tailor next door  --- why is that formulae not doing the trick? Why is the country still underdeveloped if all that is needed is more people taking advantage of opportunities as you claim, to better their personal lots.

tensor777:

Hhhmm. . . I wonder whose job it is to aid in eradication of illiteracy and provision of primary health care for the masses.

By the way, as I have said over and over again. The Self-Reliance Era started way back during Babangida's administration when Nigerians started moving away from expecting the government to provide the basics, essentially do what it is PAID TO DO, to the ALL MAN FOR HIMSELF attitude we so easy label SELF-RELIANCE that you still have today. Self-Reliance is NOT NEW. It has been here for over 2 decades now. I think that has been enough time to guage how well that plan has worked out for the country.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 7:51pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

What is amazing is that he is even talking about using federal funds to prop up  undecidedinefficient businesses
What inefficient businesses? Oh! Non-existent businesses has already been pronounced inefficient by you!!!  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
You see the problem with Nigeria? So Nigerians don't run efficient businesses?
I have a feeling that I am talking to a Kid. what didn't you understand?
What the heck!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

We have millions of entrepreneurs already. I would go as far as to claim that Nigeria has 10 times more entrepreneurs than a country like great britain can boast of.  Why is the country still underdeveloped? I mean from the gala seller to the tailor next door  --- why is that formulae not doing the trick? Why is the country still underdeveloped if all that is needed is more people taking advantage of opportunities as you claim, to better their personal lots.

I did not say we don't have entrepreneurs. Far from it. My post was in response to the OP who kept  on whining .

But what is your own blueprint for national development?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Dec 14, 2009
Please indulge me . . . .

@Justcash

I don't know whether you are actually trained in economics or finance. But some knowledge of that would make you understand that development is a very complex issue.

It is not a matter of the FGN waving the magic wand of pumping more money into the system. You think any country with Nigeria' s demographics can develop by the FGN using its limited funds to prop up ailling local businesses?
Then what about Education, Healthcare, Defence and Security ?

I would very much like to understand where exactly you are coming from and going with this. . . . .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 8:01pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

We have millions of entrepreneurs already. I would go as far as to claim that Nigeria has 10 times more entrepreneurs than a country like great britain can boast of.  Why is the country still underdeveloped? I mean from the gala seller to the tailor next door  --- why is that formulae not doing the trick? Why is the country still underdeveloped if all that is needed is more people taking advantage of opportunities as you claim, to better their personal lots.
Go and look at the definition of entrepreneurship. It is different from small business ventures. Anyway, the poor gala sellers don't grow because they are barely surviving. Most of them are in subsistent trade. They make 100 naira profit and spend it on food. They do it merely to survive in the harsh environment.
When I mean Entrepreneurs, I am talking about people that have substantial capital and collateral for loans, with big and innovative ideas that can generate more money and create jobs. Entrepreneurial ventures are more risky than small business ventures. It is one of the few entrepreneurs in Nigeria that makes the gala that are being sold. The factory that makes that gala is helping to employ alot of Nigerians. Imagine what will happen if such factories are many.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 8:05pm On Dec 14, 2009
Can we please stick with the dictionary definition instead?

entrepreneur
noun

a person who organizes and manages a business undertaking, assuming the risk for the sake of the profit

i.e a small business owner is an entrepreneur grin
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 14, 2009
Justcash:

Go and look at the definition of entrepreneurship. It is different from small business ventures. Anyway, the poor gala sellers don't grow because they are barely surviving. Most of them are in subsistent trade. They make 100 naira profit and spend it on food. They do it merely to survive in the harsh environment.
When I mean Entrepreneurs, I am talking about people that have substantial capital and collateral for loans, with big and innovative ideas that can generate more money and create jobs. Entrepreneurial ventures are more risky than small business ventures. It is one of the few entrepreneurs in Nigeria that makes the gala that are being sold. The factory that makes that gala is helping to employ alot of Nigerians. Imagine what will happen if such factories are many.

Yet most of the world wide brands you hear about started as small  subsistence businesses.  You on the other hand are talking about the FGN building Ajaokuta style  parks all over the place.subsidizing these entities, and expecting somehow that small businesses would survive such lopsided competition.

You really need to come up with a much more coherent model for national development.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 8:15pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Can we please stick with the dictionary definition instead?

[b]entrepreneur

noun

a person who organizes and manages a business undertaking, assuming the risk for the sake of the profit[/b]
Man if you didn't know, I am teaching you, An entrepreneur is different from a small business owner. There are lot of scholarly and business professional articles on the  difference of the two terms. It is left for you to learn or keep looking at the dictionary definition.  I aint here to teach you anyway. cool
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 8:18pm On Dec 14, 2009
Justcash:

Man if you didn't know, I am teaching you, An entrepreneur is different from a small business owner. There are lot of scholarly and business professional articles on the difference of the two terms. It is left for you to learn or keep looking at the dictionary definition. I aint here to teach you anyway.

Can we please stop this practise of trying to redefine already defined and understood terms in order that we may make some moot point? When you do that, it throws whatever point you were making out the window. Entrepreneurs are of all kinds -- big and small. We already have so many of them in Nigeria. That has yet to grow change the situation, simple!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
He has not made any point whatsoever. He is just talking about the FGN spending non-existent money on industrial parks.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 8:24pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

Yet most of the world wide brands you hear about started as small  subsistence businesses. You on the other hand are talking about the FGN building Ajaokuta style  parks all over the place.subsidizing these entities, and expecting somehow that small businesses would survive such lopsided competition.

You really need to come up with a much more coherent model for national development.

Man, what are you talking about.
LISTEN! I SAID THAT THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT SHOULD CREATE AN ENABLING ENVIRONMENT FOR ENTREPRENEURIAL VENTURES TO FLOURISH BECAUSE THEY ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA!
THEY SHOULD PROVIDE BASIC AMENITIES AND PROVIDE LOANS OR ENHANCE GOVERNMENT EXPENDITURE TO REDUCE INTEREST RATE AND ENCOURAGE INVESTMENT, WHICH WILL CREATE JOBS AND REDUCE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE. THIS WILL STIMULATE DEVELOPMENT.
Did you see anything about governmnent building businesses for people?
d
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 8:26pm On Dec 14, 2009
Justcash:

LISTEN! I SAID THAT THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT SHOULD CREATE AN ENABLING ENVIRONMENT FOR ENTREPRENEURIAL VENTURES TO FLOURISH BECAUSE THEY ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA!
THEY SHOULD PROVIDE BASIC AMENITIES AND PROVIDE LOANS OR ENHANCE GOVERNMENT EXPENDITURE TO REDUCE INTEREST RATE AND ENCOURAGE INVESTMENT, WHICH WILL CREATE JOBS AND REDUCE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE. THIS WILL STIMULATE DEVELOPMENT.

d

And this is what we have been PAYING the government TRILLIONS OF NAIRA each year for so so long to do.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 8:31pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Can we please stop this practise of trying to redefine already defined and understood terms in order that we may make some moot point? When you do that, it throws whatever point you were making out the window. Entrepreneurs are of all kinds -- big and small. We already have so many of them in Nigeria. That has yet to grow change the situation, simple!!

Like I said, I aint ready to teach you. I get paid to lecture people. I won't stoop so low to try explaining something to someone that is not ready to learn. FYI it is all over the net. Educate yourself beyond looking at dictionary meaning.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 8:35pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

And this is what we have been PAYING the government TRILLIONS OF NAIRA each year for so so long to do.
who is the We? Do you pay your tax? Do you even know anything about how the economy functions? undecided
I have started feeling nasautic at the kind of naive questions you ask. Where does the tillions go? They stay cool in the banks and in currupt politicians pockets. Are you satisfied?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by honeric01(m): 8:37pm On Dec 14, 2009
our mindset is the problem, not only the government.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 14, 2009
Justcash:

d

Your argument is still very incoherent and shows a poor grasp of basic macroeconomics. In the first place the FGN already spends more than it earns with a budget deficit of  about 15% of GDP. Hence increasing government expenditure would just increase the deficit, or borrowing which would impact adversely on interest rates.
Furthermore propping up indigenous companies with loans, subsidies and grants would actually scare away foreign investors and inhibit small busineses because of unfavourable competition. That would increase unemployment.

In a nutshell your model won't work even if it is implemented.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 8:40pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

He has not made any point whatsoever. He is just talking about the FGN spending non-existent money on industrial parks.

I would have been amazed if you noticed my point, a person like you cannot notice it.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Lets be honest here. You don't pay taxes or live in Nigeria as far as I can decipher. I also notice that you favour spending  and tax cuts for government in America where you live and pay taxes, but surpisingly advocate tax and spend policies for government in Nigeria where you neither live nor pay taxes. Where is the consistency?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 8:54pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

Your argument is stil lvery incoherent and shows a poor grasp of basic macroeconomics. In the fist place the FGN already spends more than it earns with a budget deficit of  about 15% of GDP. Hece increasing government expenditure will just increase the deficit or borrowing which would impact iadversely on interest rates.
Do you know the meaning of Macro-economics and Micro- economics. Look up the meaning and correct your statement above.
Increasing government expenditure is normally done through the re-purchase of govt bonds from Banks. When this is done,  banks have alot of money. They will want to lend funds to investors for business (To benefit from interest). They reduce interest rate to attract investors due to competition from other banks. Investors Purchase such loans, in the process Entrepreneurial investors will have access to funds for their businesses. Then they create employment when they employ people in their establishments. By doing that, They increase consumption rate, which will further encourage investments. This will create a source of revenue for government ( income and company tax). It is like cycle that will raise per capita income and GDP of a country. Buyt all these will not be possible without the provision of basic amenities e.gsecurity
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 14, 2009
I am getting very bored with this topic. None of the ideas you have come up with are sustainable, which goes to buttress the point early posters made when they told you development is complex. Too complex in fact to discuss without advanced training in economics or finance
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 9:14pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

I am getting very bored with this topic. None of the ideas you have come up with are sustainable which goes to buttress the point early posters made when they told you development is complex. Too complex in fact to discuss without advanced training in economics or finance

Development requires a suitable Macro economic model that can suite a Macro environment, so that there can be an existence of a micro-economic system that can ensure an efficient micro-environment.
We have money in Nigeria. But they are not well managed. Even when good plans are made, lack of political will kills them.
Look at Lagos-benin express road, at this age is still like a rigged village walk way. People are killed there by armed robbers, those that survive come out with gory tales of how they survived. It is not good for business.
Such things as road, light, water, rail system etc should be put in place to make Nigeria an attractive investment location. Then domestic production should be boosted to create a competitive economy. Then such an economy will be attractive to foriegn investors (FDI).
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 9:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
A credit line as low as 5 billion Naira will go a very long way to encourage hundreds of budding entrepreneurs. They prefer youths to rob banks for entrepreneurial capital.
cry May God help Nigeria. angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by oderemo(m): 9:50pm On Dec 14, 2009
the problem with an over educated Nigerian is from my point of view, we know macro cum micro economics, we give lectures day in day out , symposium iyen nko, but when it comes to the nitty gritty of putting bread and butter on the table for average fellow citizen we score Nil , zero. from Independence, we have failed to better the ordinary citizen.
do you guys recon all the above points our so called politicians do not know?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 9:58pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

Lets be honest here. You don't pay taxes or live in Nigeria as far as I can decipher. I also notice that you favour spending  and tax cuts for government in America where you live and pay taxes, but surpisingly advocate tax and spend policies for government in Nigeria where you neither live nor pay taxes. Where is the consistency?

a) This has ABSSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with my person so can we please not make it about individuals but about the main facts we have to deal with as a nation here
b) I may not LIVE 100% there but be sure that I do pay taxes on properties owned and businesses run down there , so please desist from assuming you have people figured out just because
c) As a Nigeria, I have every right to demand the best from my government, regardless of my current location
d) Again, please let us DESIST from trying to ASSUME this is about persons and their rights as this is about a NATION and a PEOPLE here

A Question was asked, even though it seems the @Poster is not really making attempts to focus on addressing that question head on, I would prefer that we all try to, rather than run off FOAMING IN THE MOUTH especially when we are clueless. If you have nothing vital to add to what I posted, please ignore it and move on!!!

Nigerians have been paying TRILLIONS of Naira for years for Basic Amenities and an enabling environment and still haven't gotten what they have paid, and continue to pay for. The question here is Why? Is it that the government does not have access to enough funds to make this happen, as you initially alluded to? Or is it that the government simply does not want to?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Dec 14, 2009
ode remo:

the problem with an over educated Nigerian is from my point of view, we know macro come micro economics, we give lectures day in day out , symposium iyen nko, but when it comes to the nitty gritty of putting bread and butter on the table for average fellow citizen we score Nil , zero. from Independence, we have failed to better the ordinary citizen.
do you guys recon all the above points our so called politicians do not know?

Roflmao!!!! Abi o!!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nnenna1(f): 10:07pm On Dec 14, 2009
I'd butt in here and state that quantitative factors (source of revenue, budget deficits, etc) mean little without the "right mindset" - by the government and the people.

We shouldn't undermine the importance of privatization and strategic businesses - and by that i don't mean mere commerce or business as a means to get today's profits, but business as a prelude to problem solving and the deliverance of meaningful services.

We also cannot forget the importance of holding Nigeria in esteem. The burden rests on all parties and stakeholders involved if public funds are to be used correctly. All stakeholders = the government and the people. More so on the people, because the government is made up of Nigerian citizens. Funny thing is, I estimate that a majority of Nigerians not in government would do exactly what the PDP has been doing for years given the opportunity. Our mentality is rock bottom corrupt. lol.

As much as Nairaland loooooooves to piss on the rebranding issue,  I'm happy Akunyili brought it up in the first place. There's a quite a bit that a few mantras and affirmation can do in regards to spurring some positive action. Somewhere at the very least.

Also, why do we seize every opportunity to skew all positive achievements in a negative direction? The cliche holds true - respect yourself and others will respect you. Let's try to celebrate the little each nation accomplishes in terms of development. Encouragement and enthusiasm for more does more than negative backlash. It's almost like repeatedly reminding a struggling addict or child of his or her failures despite some attempt (however little) at improvement. Doesn't solve matters much.

The so-called leaders who bend over for IMF, World Bank, and G8 nations to screw don't help matters either.

The Ideal African and Nigerian - a problem solver with just enough guts, ethics, vision and talent. Does this person exist? Am I even this person? Are you? If only 88% of us at least were like this, haha. In our dreams.

Well, ~3 more years to 2012.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 14, 2009
Justcash:

@9ijaganga: What is the symbol of development?

Development is intellectual my friend. It's not having 90 floor buildings etc,  If Nigerians have access to quality education first, We can get many things done including eradication of ignorance. It is ignorance that brought about the quota system thereby limiting the nation's development to the decision of a few instead of 150mil. Food and education are the father and mother of development (in lame man's term). If we don't have properly educated architects, how will we have those environmentally degrading structures you folks see as a sign of development? And if the architect is starving and making food his number one priority, he can't forward in life.

If man never wak, nothing else will matter. If I know food is not my problem, I'll invest my mind in other things instead of how to eat. Get it now? Look at all the perfect art works we used to have in what is now Nigeria. We have various types of sophisticated art works that are beautiful as well. Those type of art works can only be done in a conducive society. It has to be a society where food is not a problem so people actually follow their passion instead of hustling for meal. Cast metal art works in Benin used to be the finest the world has ever seen. The center of the Nok culture is still Nigeria regardless of how much this fact is ignored.

So you see, food and education are the two things that can move man forward and that my friend is development. Development in own words means moving the people forward. Now how will building massive structures move the people forward? When they are starving? undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Breaking News: Tambuwal Likely To Decamp To Apc Today / Tinubu, Shettima Spend 91 Days Abroad In Seven Months / So There Was A Fight @ The National Assembly And No News Network Carried It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.