Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? (10371 Views)

Tunde Bakare Worried That APC Govt Is Finding It Difficult To Bring "Change" / Who Is The Most Corrupt President In Nigeria So Far? / What Is So Difficult In Road Building? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 3:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
edoyad:

@depilot and tensor, do guys know what you're talking ? Why don't we change the topic to why businesses don't grow in Nigeria you say ?
Well unless you live in a welfare state like Libya, businesses are what will drive growth in an economy.
When you hear 500,000 jobs were added to American economy, do you think that's 500,000 additional civil servants ? Growth of small scale business directly reflects on: employment, tax, consumption and virtually all other aspects of life.

But Nigeria already experiences GROWTH. . . .  is GROWTH the issue here? I believe the question is why Nigeria is difficult to Develop, not why Nigeria is difficult to GROW  We don't seem to have a problem in the area of GROWTH considering even with the high rates of inflation, unemployment, poverty, you name it, the records continue to show substantial amount of growth year after year.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 3:58pm On Dec 16, 2009
But what really happened to the rail project baba Iyabo said was in the pipelines ? Everything is transported by trucks in naija : from lagos to Maiduguri, porthacourt to sokoto, day or night, just any condition you see army of trucks on our narrow roads with small capacity(in comparison to rail) competing with cars on our roads as they also contribute to the exfoliation of the tar on the roads.
I want to know what happened to that rail project.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:04pm On Dec 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But Nigeria already experiences GROWTH. . . .  is GROWTH the issue here? I believe the question is why Nigeria is difficult to Develop, not why Nigeria is difficult to GROW  We don't seem to have a problem in the area of GROWTH considering even with the high rates of inflation, unemployment, poverty, you name it, the records continue to show substantial amount of growth year after year.

The factors that will facilitate the utilisation of these growth opportunities to bring about development are being ignored by Government. Unfortunately, these things can only be facilitated by the government E.G Good roads, Water , Light, security, etc.

edoyad:

But what really happened to the rail project baba Iyabo said was in the pipelines ? Everything is transported by trucks in naija : from lagos to Maiduguri, porthacourt to sokoto, day or night, just any condition you see army of trucks on our narrow roads with small capacity(in comparison to rail) competing with cars on our roads as they also contribute to the exfoliation of the tar on the roads.
I want to know what happened to that rail project.
I read that the contract has been suspended.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 4:14pm On Dec 16, 2009
@Kobojunkie, I'll take real economic growth alone anyday over stagnation.
Besides it is generally assumed that the higher the spending power of a person the higher the quality of life you can afford. Nigeria's growing at a rate economically that vis a vis population growth doesn't translate to much. If the national population remains at 140 million and economic growth remains as it is then i'd be impressed. But what about a scenario where you can't check procreation growth and migration from Chad and Niger? 7% growth won't mean much.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 4:20pm On Dec 16, 2009
Sorry i also need to add that we have to check the wide disparity in income distribution in Nigeria that's one of the worst on this planet.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2009
Justcash:

The Topic is fine. I have been arguing in that context.
@Justcash
In order for your case to sit well with your posts, I think you should change the topic.

All you have talked about is business, getting loans, creating jobs and making money. I think developing Nigeria is much more bigger than just your dream.

Let me give you some example of Development:
1. Reliable medical system (non profit organization)
2. Credible education system (non profit organization)
3. Constant power supply
4. Obeying the laws
5. Solid security system
6. National citizen identification system.
7. Credible electoral system
8. Better public transportation system and so on.

But all you've focused on is simply business and creating jobs; which is not a bad vision. But you must also pay attention to other important factors that will give a better path to implementing successful businesses in Nigeria.
Without all these little things you have omitted, it will be a waste of time trying to do business in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

@Justcash
In order for your case to sit well with your posts, I think you should change the topic.

All you have talked about is business, getting loans, creating jobs and making money. I think developing Nigeria is much more bigger than just your dream.

3. Constant power supply
4. Obeying the laws
5. Solid security system

This is such a wise contribution and if implemented will provide a solid framework for national development and the growth of the private sector of the economy.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2009
@Justcash:
How do you expect banks to give loans to new business owners when a citizen in Nigeria is able to have up to 6 international passports with different names?

Development doesn't only start with businesses and jobs, I think it starts from our homes.
Being great citizens and working together.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

3. Constant power supply
4. Obeying the laws (Effective Law enforcement agents)
5. Solid security system

1, 2, 3,4,5,6 and7 above needs pro-developmental government to achieve. They are part of the BASIC AMENITIES and policy provisions that I have been screaming. The spill over effect will ensure the efficiency in the macro environment, where the private sector will come in. Now 1 and 2 cannot be non-profit oriented in the private sector (There is no father christmas there) except through volountary charity by private sector players or ownership by religiouse organisations. But there must be a source of funds.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 16, 2009
Justcash:

. How will mass literacy, primary health care and technical education scheme lift people out of poverty?
. Where will the rising income come from?

You know I can't help but wonder where you are coming from or where you get your ideas from.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:42pm On Dec 16, 2009
tensor777:

You know I can't help but wonder where you are coming from or where you get your ideas from.
No fighting/deviation man. Just answer the questions if you are sure of what you are saying.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2009
Just few months ago CBN discovered up to 800 billion Naira dead loans (outstanding loans).
@Justcash:
Who do you think these loans were given to?
And why do you think the loans were dead for many years and only discovered couple of months ago?

Bros, business is good and creating jobs is even better, but development starts with you and I; then business comes in later. That is the only way you will witness a complete developmental circle (just like a new born).
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 4:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
@Justcash:
I know that you have indicated that you're a businessman and I honestly admire your energy, but my man, you need to slow down and look at other people's views. May be you"ll learn one or two things that will benefit your business in future.
FYI: Business also runs in my bloodstream big time (that's all I see and all I know).

A good businessman listens.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:53pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

@Justcash:
How do you expect banks to give loans to new business owners when a citizen in Nigeria is able to have up to 6 international passports with different names?
Development doesn't only start with businesses and jobs, I think it starts from our homes.
Being great citizens and working together.

Loans are not given carelessly. Normally a business loan involves, a presentation of a good business plan, presentation of collateral, sureities and referees, proper investigation,  evaluation of the loan's viability and profitability (Through rigid financial analysis) and some regulatory/monitoring activities by the bank.
Conditions attached to loans depend on the credibility level of individuals. If a Man wants to collect a 20million naira loan, and has properties worth 40 million as collateral, it is a good bergain. whether the person has 100 passports may not matter. As soon as he/she defaults, the collateral will effectively be given up.
Yes, development starts from home, but don't forget that the behavioural standard of a county's populace is largely determined by the kind of enforcement on ground.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 4:55pm On Dec 16, 2009
There are plenty of good reasons why businesses in Nigeria do not operate the way you desire or wish, and I suggest that you should address those reasons.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:00pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

Just few months ago CBN discovered up to 800 billion Naira dead loans (outstanding loans).
@Justcash:
Who do you think these loans were given to?
And why do you think the loans were dead for many years and only discovered couple of months ago?
Bros, business is good and creating jobs is even better, but development starts with you and I; then business comes in later. That is the only way you will witness a complete developmental circle (just like a new born).
Which people got the Loans? Dangote, Otedola etc. Was any of the loans dedicated to entrepreneurial development? They were bad (Very BAD) and selfish loans. Don't think that it is what I am advocating for. You'd be lost If you think that way.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:01pm On Dec 16, 2009
Justcash:

Loans are not given carelessly. Normally a business loan involves, a presentation of a good business plan, presentation of collateral, sureities and referees, proper investigation,  evaluation of the loan's viability and profitability (Through rigid financial analysis) and some regulatory/monitoring activities by the bank.
Conditions attached to loans depend on the credibility level of individuals. If a Man wants to collect a 20million naira loan, and has properties worth 40 million as collateral, it is a good bergain. whether the person has 100 passports may not matter. As soon as he/she defaults, the collateral will effectively be given up.
Yes, development starts from home, but don't forget that the behavioural standard of a county's populace is largely determined by the kind of enforcement on ground.
In a country where 90% of the population doesn't believe in obeying laws, what you have just posted is nothing but a movie script.
May be we should start with empowering our constitutions, educating the citizens and introducing the importance of obeying the laws to the citizens.

Business operates better and much more successful in an environment that embraces the laws.
In Nigeria we do not have laws.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 5:02pm On Dec 16, 2009
A focusless leadership will not inspire It's people. Look to Paul Kagame of Rwanda to know how one man can change the national psyche of his people- this is Inspite of his shady past.
American bankers with their "culture of greed" dragged the rest of the modern world into a recession. Who is leading the charge for a revolution in the financial sector ? I believe It's the president himself with the guardiance of an sound team of thinkers he selected himself. Why didn't the banks wake up and decide to "change their situation"?
Why do we have leaders ? Is it not to lead, inspire and show us the right path to promised land. If the common man could cause a change in the way things worked himself then why would he need to have someone tell him what and what not to do ?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:07pm On Dec 16, 2009
@Justcash:
In a nut-shell, the answer to your topic is: It is difficult to develop Nigeria because there is no law and there is no protocol
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:11pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

@Justcash:
I know that you have indicated that you're a businessman and I honestly admire your energy, but my man, you need to slow down and look at other people's views. May be you"ll learn one or two things that will benefit your business in future.
FYI: Business also runs in my bloodstream big time (that's all I see and all I know).

A good businessman listens.

I doubt that it runs in your vains (No Offence). I'v been listening, but you just don't seem to make any valid point. You have not given me a good reason why you think that the neglect of entrepreneurial and small business development and encouragement is a major root to our economic backwardness in Nigeria. You mention things that the government should provide as the responsibility of the Private sector.  Kano, Lagos, Anambra (Onitsha) and Abia (Aba) have the potential of creating more that 10 million jobs. They can give nearly the same tax as Oil. But they are severly neglected, and Oil is depended on, where has it landed us in? We complain that we don't produce cars, Go to Nnewi and tell me about the potential s that lie so unharnessed there. It's a Shame!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:14pm On Dec 16, 2009
May I ask you where is the location of your business and what exactly do you do?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:19pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

May I ask you where is the location of your business and what exactly do you do?
I have factories that manufacture unbranded Electronics and sell to several brands, which you, like many other Nigerians buy in Eastern Asia.
It is frustrating because it could have been Easier to do in Nigeria If the right things were in Place. I currently employ 261 permanent workers and several non-permanent workers in Japan alone.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:20pm On Dec 16, 2009
Great, I'm proud of you.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:23pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

Great, I'm proud of you.

These stuffs would have been done in Nigeria and exported to other parts of Africa and Europe. That is the pain!!!! undecided
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 5:27pm On Dec 16, 2009
An example of my point is your average PLC. If after years of continuous decline in revenue and general output of corporation X it is discovered that there is a need for a overhaul of the system, who decides this ? The shop floor workers of corporation X or the board of corporation X?
The govt is the principal reason why we have not moved not the common man on the street.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:28pm On Dec 16, 2009
@Justcash:
Be smart not to judge others; you just never know who you're having discussion with  cool
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:30pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

But be smart don't judge others; you just never know who you're having discussion with cool
LMAO! Is that the point? This is not an avenue to brag or fear who one is talking to. It is an avenue to share feelings about Nigeria and proffer solutions.  Anyday I fell threatened, I'l leave Nairaland for all of you to continue being smart in it. LMAO! cool cheesy
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:31pm On Dec 16, 2009
I think if all of us (the citizens) and the government are committed to do the right things, this country will fly high again.
But we can not be posting movie script and expect things to change. We all have to sincerely get involved.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:34pm On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

I think if all of us (the citizens) and the government are committed to do the right things, this country will fly high again.
But we can not be posting movie script and expect things to change. We all have to sincerely get involved.
How do you propose that ordinary Nigerian citizens should get involved to stimulate development?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 5:37pm On Dec 16, 2009
It has been nice chatting with you, Let's do it again. Got to go.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 5:43pm On Dec 16, 2009
How can a person partake in a system which is obviously not created with him in mind ? An aspiring leader reads his Manifesto to the electorate and presents his argument. He promises to bring bout development after studying the general clime of the nation. Then what do yo assess the success or failure of his administration based on ? Is it not on the promises he made before his ascent to the seat ?
After ascending you say that you cannot bring about development cos of the people who you rule, with the apparatus of the state at your disposal, don't want to develop. Isn't this the most stupid argument on God's earth. Is the average Nigerian as stubborn and unruly as the average Lagosian ? How does Fashola then achieve such feats not seen in these parts Inspite of being in the same country ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi / President Buhari Presides Over FEC Meeting (Photos) / APC Membership Registration Constitutional, Buni Replies Akande

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.