Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,811 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. (24397 Views)

APC Is The Only Party That Believes In Youths – Governor Bello / Who Is Really A NIGER DELTAN? / Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by ehikwe22: 12:09am On Mar 27, 2017
uckennety:

Who are you to declare dem non-igbos

And how do you mean by majority of dem don't want to be igbos?

Mr just respect ur worthless self
I didn't say majority don't want to be Igbo I said majority said they're not Igbo and they're not Igbo. I'm an Agbor man and I dare you to come to Agbor with any Igbo agenda if you will reach your house with your body complete.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by BiafranPound: 12:15am On Mar 27, 2017
This poster has gotten so demented, no wonder ijaw people treat you like rags! For your information, the only way to exclude south whatever from Biafra is to tell Jonathan to sign enslavement fform that Buharia is giving him! Period! You like enslavement over freedom! Happy slave! Hausa Fulani will continue to be your masters! angry

3 Likes

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by fratermathy(m): 12:19am On Mar 27, 2017
bantudra:

okay....i just dont want calamities to befall us...

It certainly won't.

Wole Soyinka once said "A tiger does not proclaim its tigritude! It acts it!"

We don't have to make so much noise to assert ourselves.

Don't fall into the trap of speaking for Western Igbo groups (Anioma) in Delta State. Some of them, especially the Enuani, are actually in support of the brothers, East of the Niger.

Let us limit ourselves to our own Urhobo-Isoko people. We have said it countless times that we don't want Biafra. The message has been passed and many well-thinking Igbos also understand the need for cultural homogeneity in the Biafran project. Cultural plurality is one of the problems bedevilling Nigeria today. We should think of ways to remedy the situation tactfully, rather than create a micro-problem out of the main problem. There is no way Biafra will progress with diverse groups in it. An Igbo/Igboid Biafra will certainly fare better and all well-meaning Igbos know this. Even if we are to be allies in the struggle, it would be under the promise of numerous conditions and to do that, a serious discussion, referendum, analysis, etc, must be done and I doubt if the very proud Urhobos would ever succumb to the idea of partnering with the equally proud Igbos. I theoretically support Biafra, but a Biafra with ONLY Igbos/Igboid groups in it!

I advise you, as a brother and concerned Urhoboman, to stop attacking Igbos and drop this Biafra thing, except when we have the need to remind those who would want to annexe us that we are independent and can think for ourselves. As far as I am concerned, that has been achieved.

Too much focus on Biafra will eat you up. Trust me, I am speaking from experience. Hate is too great a burden to bear. You may remind IPOB/Igbos of Urhobo's independence and apathy towards the Biafran project, but please don't make it personal. Some of the people you think you are trying to correct are beyond redemption. They are so plagued with hate that they seek for those to drag to their level so that all will have a taste of their mental, emotional and psychological anguish. Some of them have hated for so long that even blaring a horn on their ears to assert yourself will not work. Why bother then? Simply ignore those who would ridicule you and Urhobo nation and engage those who reason and think with their brains, rather than their emotions.

You have done us well and proud and I appreciate that but don't transform yourself into a hate-filled person in trying to conquer those who perceivably hate you! Urhobo has a voice and I trust that many Igbos/IPOB now know that. Be better than the haters and they may learn from you that love and strong alliances may achieve more than hate.

Over and out!

2 Likes

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by uckennety(m): 12:19am On Mar 27, 2017
ehikwe22:
I didn't say majority don't want to be Igbo I said majority said they're not Igbo and they're not Igbo. I'm an Agbor man and I dare you to come to Agbor with any Igbo agenda if you will reach your house with your body complete.

I v read ur trends u claim aboh now it's agbor tomorrow kwale

Mr go n get alive! All my agbor brodas love me! My bitch na agbor too! We are all igbos

4 Likes

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 12:27am On Mar 27, 2017
Amarabae:
Social Media is not real life dear, That you had a misunderstanding with an Ipob should not be a reason of accusing Igbos of hatred.
Igbos and Ipob are not the same thing.
For example, you want to tell me that a lovely Elderly Teacher from Enugu will hate you if you tell her that you are an urhobo? Does it make any sense?
Dont have a lopsided view of an ethnic group just because of your misunderstanding with few people frnm the group.
And also, if you go to South East, 65% of SE people don't know who the urhobos are, believe me.
So there is no hatred for your people by Igbos.

thats why i said for a while now that igbos must clearly separate from ipob...

we deltans that dont understand what is going on in the core of igbos are starting to see no difference between igbos and ipob..

for example:
you want kanu released....why??...

it makes no sense to release kanu,to urhobos....

biafra or death my foot...
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by Cjrane2: 12:27am On Mar 27, 2017
As everyone in this thread already knows, I AM A BONAFIDE DELTAN!

....AND I SUPPORT BIAFRA!

I would prefer Nigeria to restructure and institute true Federalism so that all the effort to cheat the south is reduced, but i don't see an average Fulani man agreeing to a fair and equitable federal system where nobody cheats another under the guise of "One Naigerea"
Therefore, i 100% support Biafra.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by fratermathy(m): 12:29am On Mar 27, 2017
@ehikwe22

I'll also advise you as a fellow Deltan (assuming you truly are) to let go of hate. I've seen some of your anti-Urhobo comments but chose to ignore you because it wasn't worth it. No one fights on two fronts and succeeds. Urhobos are not your problem in any way. The average Anioma youth may not even encounter an Urhobo all his life save for when he leaves Aniomaland or possibly in Asaba by virtue of chance.

I also want to use this medium to inform you to drop this being Igbo or not issue. Ika is an Igboid language, this means you speak a dialect or variant of Igbo. You may choose to be ethnically non-Igbo and that is understandable but you cannot deny your Igbo heritage and linguistic roots.

Focus your time on better things. Don't degenerate to hate. You would be no better than those you accuse of hate.

Thank you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 12:33am On Mar 27, 2017
Ngozi123:

So this is the crux of the matter; you land grabbers will not get an inch of Igboland so you better start focusing on your own land. I don't know why some people are so concerned about the Igbos... Are we now more important than your own people's problems?

somehow,yes...you are trying to drag us into trouble....where were you as shell,exxon and other white moronns were destroying our enviromnent because of crude oil that nasty stuff....

where were the igbos our socalled brethren....??...you didnt defend us....facts....!!!... angry

1 Like

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by Ngozi123(f): 12:35am On Mar 27, 2017
bantudra:

somehow,yes...you are trying to drag us into trouble....where were you as shell,exxon and other white moronns were destroying our enviromnent because of crude oil that nasty stuff....

where were the igbos our socalled brethren....??...you didnt defend us....facts....!!!... angry

You've gone off on a tangent here... keep your focus away from Igboland and we won't have any problems.

6 Likes

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 12:56am On Mar 27, 2017
paschu:
You seem to want harmony, but the fact that you see nothing wrong with this thread betrays an inner bias.

For example how else would you have reacted if this thread was created with the following title:

"Any Deltan Who Does Not Support Biafra Is Not A Deltan"

And then followed with the following rhetoric:

"...They should quickly migrate to South West, and leave Delta at once, or else...."

If you find the above statements offensive, then know that it's very hypocritical to expect anyone to reason with the creator of this thread.

In fact the OP is so messed up that he literally mocked a British jonalist (in another thread) who got pissed with political correctness after the recent terror attack in London. So the OP is basically unreasonable and mischievous.

So I'm kind of wondering why you did not follow your own advice and called your brother to order but rather endorsed this hateful thread, yet you expect love and appreciation in return.

wowww..you are one special word twister....i said if you live in the delta and believe in biafra,then you can not be a deltan..!!..

fini...

the south south is too diverse than the south east to take sides...this will spell doom for all deltans...

first the yorubas will beat us up,then the igbos,then the hausas...and that,am not interested in....
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 1:04am On Mar 27, 2017
paschu:
Sorry, I did not notice your first post. But here's what I responded to:

I don't know how long you have been in this section, but I have seen your people literally threaten Igbos with genocide and boasted how your women poisoned our men during the war. See, just pretend to be an igbo person for a while, then go on and Google Igbo and see if you can stomach the sheer volume of igbophobia that shows up.

This country is no loger worth it.

but our women poisoned your biafran soldiers,this are historical facts...for me,that means,you were never welcomed in the area...
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 1:07am On Mar 27, 2017
fratermathy:

You should know that some other ethnic groups create accounts and hide under Urhobo to cause havoc online.

Again, any Urhobo that threatens Igbo with genocide or boasted of poisoning Igbo men must have been provoked to say that. Just the way Igbos are provoked on a daily basis by people of other ethnicities, so also Urhobos are provoked by Igbos on a daily basis. We usually ignore such posts but every once in a while, you may encounter someone or another that reacts to the provocations and ends up creating more problems.

But take this from me: any self-proclaimed Urhobo that goes from thread to thread inciting Igbos and causing problems is definitely NOT an Urhobo. He may be a member of the many numbers of ethnicities that have problems with Igbos. Some of these people would use another ethnic group to create issues so that it would appear that Igbos are hated by everyone, even their closest neighbours.

My above point also implies that there are some members of other ethnicities that impersonate Igbos and make statements aimed at causing problems. However, how we, the known members of the ethnicity, respond to those statements is what matters. When I came to this thread, I used Urhobo and English to charge the Op (assuming he is an Urhobo) to leave Igbos and Biafra alone and focus on Urhobo. I expect Igbos to do the same to those (Igbo or impostor) who cause problems online and preach hate.

My charge to all is that we should learn to ignore certain provocations and return hate with love, or at least a passive interest. Hate cannot be used to fight hate else the world would be embroiled in war. Before our various ethnic identities, we are first humans! Let us appeal to that humanity in us and realise that insulting, denigrating, debasing or slamming other people's identity and ethnicity is nothing short of childishness, stupidity, illiteracy, and shows a lack of exposure, maturity and humanity.

i was the one that brought it up...but its historical facts...we must warn them from starting another trouble because of biafra....
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by 1Rebel: 1:11am On Mar 27, 2017
bantudra:

thx for your insult..more reason that the delta can not join biafra... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You must be deluded to think anyone takes you serious. Small kid that doesn't even have a say in his secondary school classroom, you're here feeling important.

1 Like

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 1:15am On Mar 27, 2017
Neemrod:
It annoys me when I hear Urhobo and other tiny tribes shout 'WE DON'T WANT BIAFRA'.
Let me make it clear here that Biafra is for igbos and igbos alone, all igbos groups in SE and SS alone.
We don't want URHOBO.

thx...then relocate your igbo brethren to the south east...when it comes to land,we are not letting a inch of it to biafra..

this is not a football match,this is reality...
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 1:24am On Mar 27, 2017
ehikwe22:
I implore you to stop using this term "Delta Ibos". There is nothing like Delta Igbos. We have our political name which is Anioma but apart from that, each of us have our closely related ethnicity and we agreed to merge it into a new identity called Anioma. I as an Ika man doesn't have anything to do with Igbo hence it's rude to refer me with anything Igbo. There are only few Anioma towns with Igbo ancestry and these few also have some little Edo migrants. I can trace my ancestry back from 600 years and they're all Edo names up to my father's name. My own name is strictly Ika name and has nothing to do with Igbo. I'm not here to write much but I'm sure you've taken note.

this is exactly what am talking about....ipob claims that the federal goverment divided the socalled old south east on purpose to divide the igbos...

i am trying to tell them the ol time that it was the people that divided the old south east not the federal goverment..

they just dont get it......

1 Like

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 1:26am On Mar 27, 2017
uckennety:

Who are you to declare dem non-igbos

And how do you mean by majority of dem don't want to be igbos?

Mr just respect ur worthless self

its better you listen than confuse yourself and get into trouble...
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 1:33am On Mar 27, 2017
BiafranPound:
This poster has gotten so demented, no wonder ijaw people treat you like rags! For your information, the only way to exclude south whatever from Biafra is to tell Jonathan to sign enslavement fform that Buharia is giving him! Period! You like enslavement over freedom! Happy slave! Hausa Fulani will continue to be your masters! angry

thx...now..leave us alone..deal with your biafra alone...
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by Bridget95(f): 1:39am On Mar 27, 2017
ehikwe22:
Do you know the history and culture of the so called "Delta Igbo"? Apart from in language, do you think you are closer to Edo than them? Who are you to declare them Igbos when majority of them say they are not Igbo? If you don't know anything about the so called delta Igbos, go to Agbor and research about their history, cultures and traditions, kingship, music and every other things. Forget whatever politically inspired tales you have heard in your area and go for research in places like Agbor
you call a people 'Delta igbo' their language resembles igbo,their names are igbo,their culture is igbo and you turn around and tag them Edo. hahahah I laugh at the understanding of some so called educated people.when you are asked to do research, you need to look at characteristics in other to do your finding of origin.

1 Like

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 1:39am On Mar 27, 2017
fratermathy:

It certainly won't.

Wole Soyinka once said "A tiger does not proclaim its tigritude! It acts it!"

We don't have to make so much noise to assert ourselves.

Don't fall into the trap of speaking for Western Igbo groups (Anioma) in Delta State. Some of them, especially the Enuani, are actually in support of the brothers, East of the Niger.

Let us limit ourselves to our own Urhobo-Isoko people. We have said it countless times that we don't want Biafra. The message has been passed and many well-thinking Igbos also understand the need for cultural homogeneity in the Biafran project. Cultural plurality is one of the problems bedevilling Nigeria today. We should think of ways to remedy the situation tactfully, rather than create a micro-problem out of the main problem. There is no way Biafra will progress with diverse groups in it. An Igbo/Igboid Biafra will certainly fare better and all well-meaning Igbos know this. Even if we are to be allies in the struggle, it would be under the promise of numerous conditions and to do that, a serious discussion, referendum, analysis, etc, must be done and I doubt if the very proud Urhobos would ever succumb to the idea of partnering with the equally proud Igbos. I theoretically support Biafra, but a Biafra with ONLY Igbos/Igboid groups in it!

I advise you, as a brother and concerned Urhoboman, to stop attacking Igbos and drop this Biafra thing, except when we have the need to remind those who would want to annexe us that we are independent and can think for ourselves. As far as I am concerned, that has been achieved.

Too much focus on Biafra will eat you up. Trust me, I am speaking from experience. Hate is too great a burden to bear. You may remind IPOB/Igbos of Urhobo's independence and apathy towards the Biafran project, but please don't make it personal. Some of the people you think you are trying to correct are beyond redemption. They are so plagued with hate that they seek for those to drag to their level so that all will have a taste of their mental, emotional and psychological anguish. Some of them have hated for so long that even blaring a horn on their ears to assert yourself will not work. Why bother then? Simply ignore those who would ridicule you and Urhobo nation and engage those who reason and think with their brains, rather than their emotions.

You have done us well and proud and I appreciate that but don't transform yourself into a hate-filled person in trying to conquer those who perceivably hate you! Urhobo has a voice and I trust that many Igbos/IPOB now know that. Be better than the haters and they may learn from you that love and strong alliances may achieve more than hate.

Over and out!

i get you.....indeed...
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by Bridget95(f): 1:42am On Mar 27, 2017
ehikwe22:
Do you know the history and culture of the so called "Delta Igbo"? Apart from in language, do you think you are closer to Edo than them? Who are you to declare them Igbos when majority of them say they are not Igbo? If you don't know anything about the so called delta Igbos, go to Agbor and research about their history, cultures and traditions, kingship, music and every other things. Forget whatever politically inspired tales you have heard in your area and go for research in places like Agbor
you call a people 'Delta igbo' their language resembles igbo,their names are igbo,their culture is igbo and you turn around and tag them Edo. hahahah I laugh at the understanding of some so called educated people.when you are asked to do research, you need to look at characteristics in other to do your finding of origin.somebody bears 'Okafor' in Agbor and another bears same 'Okafor' in Anambra and IMO and a sane individual tags the Agbor man to a beni man whose name is Osayende or Nosakhare.hahahah very funny

7 Likes

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by ehikwe22: 1:50am On Mar 27, 2017
fratermathy:
@ehikwe22

I'll also advise you as a fellow Deltan (assuming you truly are) to let go of hate. I've seen some of your anti-Urhobo comments but chose to ignore you because it wasn't worth it. No one fights on two fronts and succeeds. Urhobos are not your problem in any way. The average Anioma youth may not even encounter an Urhobo all his life save for when he leaves Aniomaland or possibly in Asaba by virtue of chance.

I also want to use this medium to inform you to drop this being Igbo or not issue. Ika is an Igboid language, this means you speak a dialect or variant of Igbo. You may choose to be ethnically non-Igbo and that is understandable but you cannot deny your Igbo heritage and linguistic roots.

Focus your time on better things. Don't degenerate to hate. You would be no better than those you accuse of hate.

Thank you.
Well, I love my Urhobo people but you guys play politics of bitterness and you can't deny that. Everything I said in that comment is fact though I was too blunt. I've spent time in many parts of Urhobo lands and I have lots of Urhobo friends but Urhobos are too politically inclined and when they play the politics, they play it very serious and when they lose, they get very bitter. You can't deny that Urhobos ganged up against an Anioma governor quoting we can't have capital and governor at the same time. Being that zoning is not constitutional, they should have let go of r hate when they lost, but no, they didn't. They embarked on hate campaigns, slandering and libeling. I belong to many Urhobo groups and pages on Facebook and the kind of things I see on those pages are unimaginable. So much hatred. If you see my comments, you'll notice it's very harsh. Yes. You can't just start exhibiting hatred towards a group of people just because you lost State capital to them and their son won an election against your sons. The kind of comments I read and the things I witnessed in my stay in some Urhobos towns are so unimaginable. Come to Ika and Anioma groups and you will never see anyone posts to attack any particular group. Only Igbos get reprimanded every now and then when they come to our groups with Igbo agenda.

If you read the history surrounding the creation of Delta State, you will understand that we were not in the original plan of a Delta State. We were to have our own state but as occasion played out, the two states was merged upon creation with the name Delta. I understand how painful it must be to have the capital of a state named after the state you have been clamoring for, moved to a place that wasn't in the original plan of the State. But don't be too quick to forget that we were to have our own state too with capital location in our region. After the state capital saga, the Urhobos hijacked the political apparatus of the State claiming how they are majority, how they own Delta and how we are not true Deltans which doesn't make sense. The fact that we were merged together with you guys makes us as Deltan as any Urhobo person irrespective of the fact we were clamoring for our state. Urhobos control the political arena and the Delta State civil service of Delta State from inception. But God being so kind, Aniomas has been great people even from colonial era. I can't count the number of key positions we held from the creation of Nigeria. We were getting most of the major Delta State slot from FG and this also angered the Urhobos. So when Okowa emerged, the anger grew to such a great level that in most Urhobo groups that I belonged on Facebook, they don't just attack Okowa but they attack his people and kept on reopening old wounds. To me, this is childish politics. In politics, you can't win all the time. When you lose today, let go and strategize for the future. The animosity I witnessed observed with your brothers was what prompted me to make that comment. I don't have anything against the Urhobos, but it pains me that they have made my people their political arch enemy.

And what exactly do mean about Igbo heritage? What's Igbo in Anioma heritage? If you're ignorant about Anioma, come to Agbor and make your research and observation. Apart from language, we don't have anything in common with the Igbos. Our culture, festivals, village structure, kingship and chieftancy, food, music, dressing, festivals, world view and idiosyncrasies, surnames, town names, founders, just name, have nothing to do with Igbo come to Agbor and Anioma and observe how our communities are planned, our building planning and patterns. Our structural hierarchies and every other things don't have any semblance with Igbo. Is language the only thing you use to group ethnicity? I'm sure you're aware language evolve or change. Some languages get replaced by other languages and some go extinct. Culture, customs and traditions are more difficult to change that's why we've retained most of these things. .

1 Like

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by fratermathy(m): 2:04am On Mar 27, 2017
ehikwe22:
Well, I love my Urhobo people but you guys play politics of bitterness and you can't deny that. Everything I said in that comment is fact though I was too blunt. I've spent time in many parts of Urhobo lands and I have lots of Urhobo friends but Urhobos are too politically inclined and when they play the politics, they play it very serious and when they lose, they get very bitter. You can't deny that Urhobos ganged up against an Anioma governor quoting we can't have capital and governor at the same time. Being that zoning is not constitutional, they should have let go of r hate when they lost, but no, they didn't. They embarked on hate campaigns, slandering and libeling. I belong to many Urhobo groups and pages on Facebook and the kind of things I see on those pages are unimaginable. So much hatred. If you see my comments, you'll notice it's very harsh. Yes. You can't just start exhibiting hatred towards a group of people just because you lost State capital to them and their son won an election against your sons. The kind of comments I read and the things I witnessed in my stay in some Urhobos towns are so unimaginable. Come to Ika and Anioma groups and you will never see anyone posts to attack any particular group. Only Igbos get reprimanded every now and then when they come to our groups with Igbo agenda.

If you read the history surrounding the creation of Delta State, you will understand that we were not in the original plan of a Delta State. We were to have our own state but as occasion played out, the two states was merged upon creation with the name Delta. I understand how painful it must be to have the capital of a state named after the state you have been clamoring for, moved to a place that wasn't in the original plan of the State. But don't be too quick to forget that we were to have our own state too with capital location in our region. After the state capital saga, the Urhobos hijacked the political apparatus of the State claiming how they are majority, how they own Delta and how we are not true Deltans which doesn't make sense. The fact that we were merged together with you guys makes us as Deltan as any Urhobo person irrespective of the fact we were clamoring for our state. Urhobos control the political arena and the Delta State civil service of Delta State from inception. But God being so kind, Aniomas has been great people even from colonial era. I can't count the number of key positions we held from the creation of Nigeria. We were getting most of the major Delta State slot from FG and this also angered the Urhobos. So when Okowa emerged, the anger grew to such a great level that in most Urhobo groups that I belonged on Facebook, they don't just attack Okowa but they attack his people and kept on reopening old wounds. To me, this is childish politics. In politics, you can't win all the time. When you lose today, let go and strategize for the future. The animosity I witnessed observed with your brothers was what prompted me to make that comment. I don't have anything against the Urhobos, but it pains me that they have made my people their political arch enemy.

And what exactly do mean about Igbo heritage? What's Igbo in Anioma heritage? If you're ignorant about Anioma, come to Agbor and make your research and observation. Apart from language, we don't have anything in common with the Igbos. Our culture, festivals, village structure, kingship and chieftancy, food, music, dressing, festivals, world view and idiosyncrasies, surnames, town names, founders, just name, have nothing to do with Igbo come to Agbor and Anioma and observe how our communities are planned, our building planning and patterns. Our structural hierarchies and every other things don't have any semblance with Igbo. Is language the only thing you use to group ethnicity? I'm sure you're aware language evolve or change. Some languages get replaced by other languages and some go extinct. Culture, customs and traditions are more difficult to change that's why we've retained most of these things. .

Ethnopolitics is common to all groups in Nigeria. It is not an Urhobo affair alone. Even within the Anioma region, you can find ethnopolitics among the various groups. So don't make this an Urhobo problem. As far as I am concerned, Urhobos are very accomodating to other ethnicities and that is even the only reason Okowa is in power. Do not forget that Okowa's god father is Ibori, an Urhobo!

The Urhobos, Ijaws and Itsekiris were shortchanged by Babaginda. It is normal for them to feel the pain. However, if the Anioma had had the population that Urhobos have, what you complain of today would be what we would be complaining of. Take a cue from the case of Ikwerre in Rivers State that has refused to relinquish power to the Ogonis and Ijaws. Urhobo has even allowed power rotation for the sake of equity! You know this!

The issue of the capital is a logical argument. Let us remove politics and ethnicity aside, is Asaba the best place to site a State Capital? Asaba is geographically closer to Anambra State than it is to Delta State. It is on the fringe of the State. Considering the multiethnic nature of the state, IBB would have located the capital at the centre of the state, somewhere between Obiaruku, Abraka, Kwale, Orogun, or Ozoro. We have a right to be angry at what he did. If the capital had been at Patani, the southernmost fringe of the state, would the Aniomas be happy?

Now imagine the scenario of Ijaws in Gbaramatu spending 9 hours or more to get to their capital to see the governor? Is it normal? This was even why a State Government House Annex was built in Warri. Sadly, Okowa hardly uses it like the former governors did.

Sometimes put yourself in people's shoes. Given the opportunity, Aniomas would never let any Urhobo rule the state. You and I know that. The Urhobos have left Aniomas rule and you still complain? Politics in Nigeria is intertwined with ethnicity even at the Federal Level. Is that of Urhobos new? The Aniomas would most certainly return the favour if they had the opportunity at the on-set. IBB's vision was to create a state named "Delta" with an Igbo domination so as to pacify many interests at the same time. However, it backfired when Urhobos turned out to be the most populous group, against his calculation that Aniomas would clinch the political domination of the state. Urhobos simply responded in kind to IBB's funny politics of merging unrelated people together in a state.

As for those criticising Okowa, it is not an issue of tribalism. Urhobos also criticised and hated Uduaghan and even Ibori, before deifying him. Don't read ethnic sentiments to everything. It makes you nothing but a tribalist! Even if the governor was from their own villages, they would still criticise him. A leader cannot please everyone. There are those who would hate Okowa for no reason and even hide their hatred under ethnicity but when you realise that these persons also hate Urhobo leaders as much as Okowa, you realise that this is not an issue of ethnicity but that of frustration at the status quo of things in Nigeria. Okowa is no better than his predecessors and kingmakers. All my Ika friends have a disdain for him. So I wonder where the ethnic colour you are reading to this comes from. Like I said before, let go of the building hate. Once hate is in the heart, you read unnecessary meanings to unconnected acts.

As for the issue of Igbo heritage, I stand resolute that Anioma people speak variants of Igbo. Whether or not they are Igbos is left for them to say but they cannot deny the fact that they speak an Igboid language. If we are consequently to use the Sapir-Whorf theory of linguistic and cultural relativity, we can say that since the Aniomas speak Igboid dialects, they must maintain the Igbo cultural outlook. It is hard to divorce language and culture. In any case, you guys have the right, by virtue of self-determination, to assert your own identity and ethnicity.

3 Likes

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by ehikwe22: 2:08am On Mar 27, 2017
Bridget95:
you call a people 'Delta igbo' their language resembles igbo,their names are igbo,their culture is igbo and you turn around and tag them Edo. hahahah I laugh at the understanding of some so called educated people.when you are asked to do research, you need to look at characteristics in other to do your finding of origin.somebody bears 'Okafor' in Agbor and another bears same 'Okafor' in Anambra and IMO and a sane individual tags the Agbor man to a beni man whose name is Osayende or Nosakhare.hahahah very funny
and resemble Igbo , yes. But don't talk about culture except you don't know anything about Anioma. As for name , the same guy have you see answering Okafor also has up to four brothers answering Obaigbena, Obanor, Osuhon, Irabor and so on. And his father's name is probably an Edo name. Does that make us Edo? Capital No. Same way answering Okafor doesn't make us Igbo. So don't get involved in a debate you don't know anything about.

Even some Ijoid and Ekoid groups in Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross River are being Igbonized. Now Even as little as Ika is, many Bini and Esan communities in Edo States has started speaking Ika. Does that make them Ika? No. Though they can be Ika because we have same heritage. But no, the Esan group still practice strictly e Esan cultures. Ika culture is mixture of Bini and Esan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 2:10am On Mar 27, 2017
ehikwe22:

its time we let the south east people know that we are much different than them..

all what you wrote is good and okay...jealousy things..human nature.......nothing special..

BUT NO NOBODY HAS TO DIE BECAUSE OF THAT!!!... angry
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 2:18am On Mar 27, 2017
the way i see it,its better the south east join the delta and completly forget ipob and biafra annnd kanu....

toghether we can claim a 3rd standard like the yorubas and hausas in nigeria...................................

like this,we will have a balance of power between tribes....

trying,a tribe is superior to other tribes will only end in somalia and rwanda.....

that,we must avoid at all cost.....

1 Like

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by Bridget95(f): 2:27am On Mar 27, 2017
ehikwe22:
and resemble Igbo , yes. But don't talk about culture except you don't know anything about Anioma. As for name , the same guy have you see answering Okafor also has up to four brothers answering Obaigbena, Obanor, Osuhon, Irabor and so on. And his father's name is probably an Edo name. Does that make us Edo? Capital No. Same way answering Okafor doesn't make us Igbo. So don't get involved in a debate you don't know anything about.

Even some Ijoid and Ekoid groups in Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross River are being Igbonized. Now Even as little as Ika is, many Bini and Esan communities in Edo States has started speaking Ika. Does that make them Ika? No. Though they can be Ika because we have same heritage. But no, the Esan group still practice strictly e Esan cultures. Ika culture is mixture of Bini and Esan.
I don't like blind aguement, because the civil war propaganda still runs in the vains of so many.My ethnic group is big and viable.The name Anioma is an igbo word not a beni word.Anioma=Good land. Ika=Great or you are great. These few words are pure igbo words.Those places are igbo.Hear words like Ika-igbo,Delta igbo and I find it amusing.These people keep confusing themselves. The beni man knows you are not beni but igbo because he can't understand you but only igbos can yet there is this irritating attachment to beni mentality. The fact remains that not every one believes that and others are begin to get enlightened.

4 Likes

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 2:30am On Mar 27, 2017
Bridget95:
I don't like blind aguement, because the civil war propaganda still runs in the vains of so many.My ethnic group is big and viable.The name Anioma is an igbo word not a beni word.Anioma=Good land. Ika=Great or you are great. These few words are pure igbo words.Those places are igbo.Hear words like Ika-igbo,Delta igbo and I find it amusing.These people keep confusing themselves. The beni man knows you are not beni but igbo because he can't understand you but only igbos can yet there is this irritating attachment to beni mentality. The fact remains that not every one believes that and others are begin to get enlightened.

your mind is so sweet.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 2:41am On Mar 27, 2017
the south south is not part of biafra..

we deltans even want you to join the delta and get rid of this tribal hatred once and for all...

forget ipob,biafra orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kanu...

join the peaceful wagoon of the south south and chill..!! grin
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 2:51am On Mar 27, 2017
you igbos dont think...

you only care about money..

what the hell is money??..things printed on a piece of paper...thats all..

you can be a big brother now,or keep on hunting worthless paper.....your choice...

but just know that the south south want no part of it.....

dont join the ss and se toghether anymore if you dont want to change.....

we deltans dont care how many igboid tribes are in the delta...

forget this majority rubbish in the delta.....

if kanu realy believed in majority,he would have become a politician,not a bloody nasty radio broadcaster in europe that was thrown out from appartment by a ghanean lady.....

you igbos should think....
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by bantudra: 2:55am On Mar 27, 2017
forget ipob,biafra or kanu...

join the delta...and you will see...politics is realy nothing....
Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by ehikwe22: 3:08am On Mar 27, 2017
fratermathy:

Ethnopolitics is common to all groups in Nigeria. It is not an Urhobo affair alone. Even within the Anioma region, you can find ethnopolitics among the various groups. So don't make this an Urhobo problem. As far as I am concerned, Urhobos are very accomodating to other ethnicities and that is even the only reason Okowa is in power. Do not forget that Okowa's god father is Ibori, an Urhobo!

The Urhobos, Ijaws and Itsekiris were shortchanged by Babaginda. It is normal for them to feel the pain. However, if the Anioma had had the population that Urhobos have, what you complain of today would be what we would be complaining of. Take a cue from the case of Ikwerre in Rivers State that has refused to relinquish power to the Ogonis and Ijaws. Urhobo has even allowed power rotation for the sake of equity! You know this!

The issue of the capital is a logical argument. Let us remove politics and ethnicity aside, is Asaba the best place to site a State Capital? Asaba is geographically closer to Anambra State than it is to Delta State. It is on the fringe of the State. Considering the multiethnic nature of the state, IBB would have located the capital at the centre of the state, somewhere between Obiaruku, Abraka, Kwale, Orogun, or Ozoro. We have a right to be angry at what he did. If the capital had been at Patani, the southernmost fringe of the state, would the Aniomas be happy?

Now imagine the scenario of Ijaws in Gbaramatu spending 9 hours or more to get to their capital to see the governor? Is it normal? This was even why a State Government House Annex was built in Warri. Sadly, Okowa hardly uses it like the former governors did.

Sometimes put yourself in people's shoes. Given the opportunity, Anioma would never let any Urhobo rule the state. You and I know that. The Urhobos have left Aniomas rule and you still complain?

As for those criticising Okowa, it is not an issue of tribalism. Urhobos also criticised and hated Uduaghan and even Ibori, before deifying him. Don't read ethnic sentiments to everything. It makes you nothing but a tribalist!

As for the issue of Igbo heritage, I stand resolute that Anioma people speak variants of Igbo. Whether or not they are Igbos is left for them to say but they cannot deny the fact that they speak an Igboid language. If we are consequently to use the Sapir-Whorf theory of linguistic and cultural relativity, we can say that since the Aniomas speak Igboid dialects, they must maintain the Igbo cultural outlook. It is hard to divorce language and culture. In any case, you guys have the right, by virtue of self-determination, to assert your own identity and ethnicity.
There's difference between criticism and hateful condemnation. I can read between the two. They don't just criticize but condemn him and his people opening old wound. Urhobos didn't allow Okowa become governor. They ganged up and fought with all their might and lost. Yes, Ibori is a friend of Anioma and a man of his word. Though he's a criminal just like every other politician, we love him for his integrity. Okowa won the 2007 PDP primary against Uduaghan but he reached an agreement with Ibori and Uduaghan to step down for Uduaghan until 2015. That's not easy an easy decision but he agreed because of the trust he has for Ibori. When it was time for the 2015 election, Urhobos went against Okowa even after knowing he's Ibori's anointed candidate. That's just politics for you. But now that the election is over, they should let sleeping dog lie and prepare for next election. That's just my point.

Yes, the capital of Delta State shouldn't be in Asaba but it ended up there. I noted that I understand how painful it must feel.

As for Anioma speaking a variant of Igbo. Yes, majority of Anioma towns speak Igboid languages but Anioma is not Bilingual or monogenous. 11 languages are spoken in Anioma. Even Urhobo, Isoko and Ijaw are spoken in some Ukwani parts. Orogun is partly Anioma and partly Urhobo. Igala and o Yoruba is spoken in some Enuani clans while 5 villages in Agbor are Edo speaking. Agbor has 11 villages, 6 are Ika speaking and the remaining 5 are Edo speaking. Some of the 5 Edo speaking villages are losing their dialect to Ika but some still retain it eg. Ozanogogo and some others. Ika language itself is a mixture of Bini, Esan and Igbo though most of our Edo are fast getting replaced by Igbo. Many of the Enuani groups are of Igala origin, some Edo, some Igbo and thers Yoruba. Even Asaba, Illah and surrounding villages are Igala origin. Ika is mostly Bini, Esan and little Ndokwa Ukwani and Enuani. Other Anioma groups also have some Ika migrations. Ukwani has lots of intermigration from Urhobo Isoko area. We're just too heterogeneous to group us into one group. But one thing worthy of note about Anioma is that all Anioma groups, clans and villages have Edo and Igbo influence irrespective of where the original founders came from eg. Igbusa and Ogwashi Uku are the main Anioma clans that have Igbo origin but they also have villages that migrated from Bini. Illah is Igala but some villages there are Bini descendant.

Ika is a language of it's own and not a dialect of any language. Listen to what a linguist has to say

"A language is a dialect with an army and navy. His point being that the difference between a language and a dialect was ultimately a political distinction and had little to do with linguistics per se. Thus, German and Dutch are separate languages, but Mandarin and Meixian Chinese are supposed dialects" this being said, you can see that citing a linguistic theory to prove an Igbo heritage for Anioma doesn't hold water. Every linguist has his own concepts and theory. You don't look at everything as black and white.

And what do you mean about it being impossible to separate language from culture? Do you know about language shift, endangered language and language extinction? An endangered language is a language that is at risk of falling out of use as its speakers die out or shift to speaking another language. Language loss occurs when the language has no more native speakers and becomes a "dead languag Does it mean when these languages die that their culture die along with them immediately? Go to the North, many languages there are endangered. Some have gone extinct because of Hausa language but these people still practice their culture. They don't practice Hausa culture.
Itsekiri speak a Yoruboid language but they practice Edo culture and they're neither Edo nor Yoruba. Same way our language is Igboid and our culture Edo. We're neither Igbo nor Edo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any deltan That Believes In Biafra, is Not A Deltan. by ehikwe22: 3:14am On Mar 27, 2017
Bridget95:
This also shows how ignorant you are. Anioma was gotten from an Acronym and an artificial creation. How does that make it Igbo? And you have given an Igbo Meaning to Ika? Wow. So Igbotic. The right spelling is Eka and not Ika and it has Bini origin. I know you will give another Igbo Meaning now that the right spelling has been reviewed, which shows you don't even know what you wrote in the first place.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply)

Ahmed Zainab: Land Borders To Be Reopened Soon / Bandits Kill 20 In Reprisal Attack In Magami, Niger State / Dele Momodu Defends Buhari's Age On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.