Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,205 members, 7,811,549 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? (23260 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / For Nigerians In The Diaspora:what Do You Miss About Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kashmo: 4:26pm On Oct 27, 2010
EzeUche0:

Why should i move back home?

I enjoy:

McDonalds
Constant electricity
Akata women
Good infrastructure
The rule of law is constantly protected
Obama is president
I can enjoy the nightlife

If munching on Mickidees on a daily basis got you stock in the states, I pity you for real cry

@op, I do have plans to relocate ASAP, however, I wouldn't dare coming empty handed without any financial stability to protect me if anything goes wrong. I do understand most sentiments about the hard life and all that, moreover, same can be said about the ones living in the States. Lets not pretend everything is well and rosy for once!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 27, 2010
Do not think those Ambassadors are people who wanna do something. They are dead woods from 9ja and after their pockets.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by makajibbz(m): 4:37pm On Oct 27, 2010
superstar1:

I knew it will come down to name calling, we vs them mentality of NIN and NID. Nationalities of other countries see themselves as part and parcel of their countries wherever they they are in the world but we always want everyone to believe we took the best decision by stepping out of naija into the greener pastures of wherever we are. Stepping out of the country is your decision and goodluck, I do not belief anyone should be condescending on the people that chose to stay in their motherland. Respect their decisions too, mosquitoes or not, corruption or not, underdeveloped or not, every country has its own societal challenges and it is high time we get down to the posters question and stop thie we vs them non-progressive mentality.
thank you,
we shuld be talking about how to better your immediate community/neighborhood and stop complaing.

if you dont have anything to offer in the prospest of improving Nigerian life, then,

Shut up!!!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by NaijaPosh(f): 4:44pm On Oct 27, 2010
exactly to the last poster. Most of the people commenting on this post are giving nonsensical answers. I didn't ask about how you feel about Nigeria, bottom line we know the issues that are occurring in Nigeria and you either want to solve the issues are not. I am an optimist and my life as being one has been more gains then loses. And for those that are speaking about the ambassador. Each one is different and comes in with a different attitude. He wants to personally tell everyone that this one actually listen. He may not always take your request seriously because of how it your request is proposed to him, but he will give you the chance to explain your point. The fact that he took time to listen to little old me and arrange a second meeting to get this problem solved means he we are moving toward progress. There are a lot of Nigerians out there who are doing good things and not a lot of them are being thanked enough for their tireless efforts. So unless you have something meaningful to post about this topic please take it to another forum.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by makajibbz(m): 4:57pm On Oct 27, 2010
NaijaPosh:

exactly to the last poster. Most of the people commenting on this post are giving nonsensical answers. I didn't ask about how you feel about Nigeria, bottom line we know the issues that are occurring in Nigeria and you either want to solve the issues are not. I am an optimist and my life as being one has been more gains then loses. And for those that are speaking about the ambassador. Each one is different and comes in with a different attitude. He wants to personally tell everyone that this one actually listen. He may not always take your request seriously because of how it your request is proposed to him, but he will give you the chance to explain your point. The fact that he took time to listen to little old me and arrange a second meeting to get this problem solved means he we are moving toward progress. There are a lot of Nigerians out there who are doing good things and not a lot of them are being thanked enough for their tireless efforts. So unless you have something meaningful to post about this topic please take it to another forum.
truth!!!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 5:10pm On Oct 27, 2010
all these rowdy niggaz up in hurr. time for me to drive through the nairaland neighborhood and make an arrest

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Freiburger(m): 5:28pm On Oct 27, 2010
@ topic
Will a good paying job provide me security?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by dayokanu(m): 5:34pm On Oct 27, 2010
Think about it carefully before you take the dive.

Always keep your US passport handy cos you might need it at a short notice.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 5:37pm On Oct 27, 2010
i am hoping to relocate back to nigeria myself as soon i get $2,000,000 liquid cash. thats my target. anything less than that, i am afraid i will just have to become a daddy london  sad cry
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 27, 2010
@OP
Good idea but, you have to understand how the system works. Nigeria will not be able to absorb all the Nigerians in diaspora at this moment. You cant just bring them back home, lodge them and start paying them. Where will they work? How many companies did your company(comp. ur working with) build in Nigeria? Are you coming to sack employees in Zenith Banks,Zenox Computers,Dangote,Moka foam, etc, to employ the Nigerians in diaspora? The companies in Nigeria cant absorb 40% of NIN graduates alone. But, gradually we are going to achieve that. There most be a way. And there is a way. Is just for you to know the way. Dont be discouraged by anybody telling you that many ppl had tried that long ago. Some ppl don't just know the way. There are areas to be touched. I'll not be able to follow up on this forum coz i'm typing with my mobile phone. I have been planning something similar but, different. Next yr, i'll take the bull by the horn. Just don't wanna rush things. It's difficult to achieve these without working with the govt,other NGO's,companies and the NIN in general. Move on my dear. Dont allow 'Thomases' to pull you back. "Change is possible"
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Markenny(m): 5:53pm On Oct 27, 2010
nope will not move back to afric
i can vist but,i cant move back

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 6:03pm On Oct 27, 2010
with that cash i can buy a modest 3 bedroom house in ikeja. then put the rest of the money in a CD account in america at 5 percent interest. then just live off the interest. i will then busy myself in nigeria by becoming a teacher (not for the salary ) but to help kids. i will be the favorite teacher that everyone loves. grin
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by ileki: 6:26pm On Oct 27, 2010
Have travelled round the continent and i realize no place like home (NIGERIA).I lived in U.K at the moment with my family but buy next year am relocating back home with my family and start a new life.There are a lot of avenue someone can venture into in nigeria instead of wasting time in the continent. Am prepare and determine 2 face the challenge in nigeria and build my future there and help my people by crating job on my own way and earn living as well.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kabukabu50(m): 6:29pm On Oct 27, 2010
Good question,answer again is No

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nimshi: 6:31pm On Oct 27, 2010
If there was a relocating service for you which would offer you a good paying job and relocating services would you take it. Please answer this is for a future project

- relocation service
- good-paying job

These two aren't enough to lure one permanently back home, at least, not right now.

There're several other considerations; here, just two:

1) security: priceless. It isn't 100% safe where I live; but I've forgotten to lock my door and the car more than a few times; I don't fret when this happens. I also don't fear being violently hijacked at home or on the road by people less fortunate, who would otherwise be doing something else were the opportunities available.

2) electricity/power: life unimaginable without interrupted power; 3, 4, 6, 8 weeks of epileptic power supply is bearable; to make it the norm is unimaginable.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 6:38pm On Oct 27, 2010
kabukabu50:

Good question,answer again is No
you know your reality in naija was slums. alot of peoples reality was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVC9YC6WQrk

while some peoples reality in america is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISvzjRP7Xu0&feature=fvst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8W9Ae04UjU&feature=related
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by ShangoThor(m): 6:52pm On Oct 27, 2010
@ Poster
Nigeria is a goldmine and the inefficiency/waste/inability to maximize profits and wealth creation is due to disorganisation and a general acceptance of the ‘status quo’ by the masses.
To directly answer your question, I would definitely be willing to relocate back to Nigeria under the following conditions:
a) If we could begin showing that we as a nation are capable of complex organization;
b) If Nigerians can be provided with a constant source of electricity;
c) If there was shift in ‘state policy’ regarding protecting individual civil liberties and enforcing the 'rule of law';
d) If there was shift in ‘state policy’ regarding providing security to citizens irrespective of 'ethnic descent', 'wealth' or 'class status' is order to unleash the real economic potential of the people;
e) If there was shift in ‘state policy’ regarding reducing poverty in our generation; devising and implementing systems to prevent the Nigerian elite, top 10% from siphoning huge amounts of money and depositing in the West thus stabilizing their economies at the expense of ours;
f) If there was shift in ‘state policy’ regarding aiming for currency parity with the USD $ as it was in the good old days in order to reduce the burden of suffering of ordinary folk;
g) If we could re-educate citizens towards participating in 'wealth creation' as opposed to focusing on the 'redistribution of crude oil sale receipts'.
h) If there was shift in ‘state policy’ regarding tackling Police and Armed Forces corruption, amongst others.

I’d love  to be able to do is to draw a line in the sand, look forward and start building, to be part of  a  generation which  is interested in is providing 'solutions to problems' and marching on.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 27, 2010
I've already vowed to come back,

Whether there's economic change or not.

I'm also speaking for my 9ja friends here with me.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 27, 2010
ShangoThor:

@ Poster
Nigeria is a goldmine and the inefficiency/waste/inability to maximize profits and wealth creation is due to disorganisation and a general acceptance of the ‘status quo’ by the masses.
To directly answer your question, I would definitely be willing to relocate back to Nigeria under the following conditions:
In other words you have no intention of relocating as there is no way that these cultural differences would ever be eradicated in your lifetime. If you think otherwise you must really live in cloud cuckoo land. Carry on waiting for government officials to develop Nigeria.
However was it these cultural issues that made you emigrate the first place?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 27, 2010
buzugee:

i am hoping to relocate back to nigeria myself as soon i get $2,000,000 liquid cash. thats my target. anything less than that, i am afraid i will just have to become a daddy london sad cry
Yet with that amount of liquid cash you could live well in any country in the world. Why exactly would you choose Nigeria apart from the fact that you are Nigerian?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by SAKUR: 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2010
As soon as things improve I plan to come and set up probably the first truly hedge fund company, God on my side.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by enyhss(m): 7:19pm On Oct 27, 2010
I wonder why lot of folks on Nairaland often derails good topics that could prove educational. please debate on the poster's topic and not something else. come on people!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 27, 2010
EzeUche0:

Why should i move back home?
I enjoy:
McDonalds
Constant electricity
Akata women
Good infrastructure
The rule of law is constantly protected
Obama is president
I can enjoy the nightlife
At least you are being honest.
Most people here saying they will go back when Nigeria has as good a standard of infrastructure as in the West are just deluding themselves. They know that deep down they have no intention of ever relocating.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by miket2(m): 7:23pm On Oct 27, 2010
hi i was born and raised in london apart from 5 years i attended high school in Lagos, im in the process of relocating back home, i have invested my savings of about £90,000 in a business venture which seems to be doing well
for the past two years ive been very much back and forth between london and lagos but my plan is to make lagos my base within two years, i still want to keep a place in london so obviously working things out would be slightly complicated
a lot of things drive me nuts about Nigeria and conducting business over there is awful but its my country , im proud to be Nigerian and hopefully God willing I can be one of those hoping to make it a better place.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 7:27pm On Oct 27, 2010
tensor777:

Yet with that amount of liquid cash you could live well in any country in the world. Why exactly would you choose Nigeria apart from the fact that you are Nigerian?
dude, where you spend the formative years of your life is the 'blueprint' of your existence. if you live anywhere else after that, you will only be existing in those places. you will never live. you will exist in those places only because of superficial comforts. where you spent the years between 10 and 18 years old of your life ? this is the place that will always tug at the heartstrings of your heart. this my brother is why i will always chose to live in naija. i am spiritually glued to that country because my formative and impressionable years were spent there. this is the reason why nigerians in diaspora go to such great lengths to seek out nigerian food in london or america etc. because these are the foods that they ate during the formative years of their lives. their heart desires for such foods. but eating the foods and not living in naija is only a tiny microcosm of the experience. the heart still yearns for the full experience. this is why a lot of people in diaspora are desperately unhappy and mentally ill.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 7:30pm On Oct 27, 2010
mike_t:

hi i was born and raised in london apart from 5 years i attended high school in Lagos, im in the process of relocating back home, i have invested my savings of about £90,000 in a business venture which seems to be doing well
for the past two years ive been very much back and forth between london and lagos but my plan is to make lagos my base within two years, i still want to keep a place in london so obviously working things out would be slightly complicated
a lot of things drive me nuts about Nigeria and conducting business over there is awful but its my country , im proud to be Nigerian and hopefully God willing I can be one of those hoping to make it a better place.

This is the kind of people i like, not people who live on credit cards and cant even save £500 that come here to talk about how they will never relocate, i bet they dont know how much a ticket costs. How can someone in debt relocate?

Te hehehehe
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 7:44pm On Oct 27, 2010
If you have money, i mean worked hard and made money, not one ten ten pence that you earn every day, noone will tell you before you will open your eyes and see all the business opportunities in Naija, and you will invest the money, or even build yourself a house.

But you wey be say na from hand to mouth, na im dey talk say him no go come back, our prayer be say make you no even fiti come back self.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by hackney(m): 7:49pm On Oct 27, 2010
atampakoeg:

If you have money, i mean worked hard and made money, not one ten ten pence that you earn every day, noone will tell you before you will open your eyes and see all the business opportunities in Naija, and you will invest the money, or even build yourself a house.

But you wey be say na from hand to mouth, na im dey talk say him no go come back, our prayer be say make you no even fiti come back self.

he he he
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by ShangoThor(m): 7:59pm On Oct 27, 2010
Perhaps Lugard was right:

"In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person. LACKING IN SELF-CONTROL, DISCIPLINE, AND FORESIGHT. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewelry. HIS THOUGHTS ARE CONCENTRATED ON THE EVENTS AND FEELINGS OF THE MOMENT, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future, or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals’ placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the State he has reached. Through the ages THE AFRICAN APPEARS TO HAVE EVOLVED NO ORGANIZED RELIGIOUS CREED, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural"

“HE LACKS THE POWER OF ORGANIZATION, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. HE LOVES THE DISPLAY OF POWER, but fails to realize its responsibility, he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue, In brief, the virtues and defects of this race-type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy, Perhaps the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are HIS LACK OF APPREHENSION AND HIS LACK OF ABILITY TO VISUALIZE THE FUTURE."

---Lord Frederick John Dealty Lugard, The Dual Mandate, pg.70 (1926)
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by seyibrown(f): 8:05pm On Oct 27, 2010
Yes, poster, I would move back home. . . . . . and I will soon!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 8:15pm On Oct 27, 2010
From their username self, we can easily deduce those who are forward looking and planning to come back.

Please, someone tell me.

With a name like Kabukabu50, this guy will never move back to Naija, KabuKabu50 means he is driving his 50th taxi in America.

With a name like Ileke-Idi, you know that soon, in a couple of years, this woman will own a very big bead making comapny in Ekiti

with a name like Hackney, this guy will never go back, the hackney permits wey him dey get no go wan make him go back, and all those streets for Mare Street, E5 in East London, na im dem know am.

with a name like SeyiBrown, you will know that this guy will soon become a big Naija business man

with a name like Tensor777 - this guy will soon become one big Naija consultant

with a name like EzeUche- hmm, spare part seller for NY, never gonna move back, he likes Broadway so much, Brooklyn is his favourite.

with a name like cutely - cute guy who will soon come back to run a cute hotel.

with a name like Kobojunkie - hahahaha. Madam will never go back to Naija, because Bill Gates is planning to make her his personal assistance.

with a name like SAKUR - Tupac baby - As soon as things improve, he will come and set up probably the first truly hedge fund company, God on his side.

with a name like 9icest - will never want to step into Naija, he likes doing 69 with his woman, voted as the most happiest (sic) nigger inhabiting NL.

with a name like NaijaPosh - sweet woman, the name says it all.

if names like KOBOJUNKIE can change to NairaJunkie, just imagine what it will be like.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by jpworld(m): 8:33pm On Oct 27, 2010
I am home already with my wife and kids. The issue is mostly money. Many Naija abroad are poor and overrated as rich people. That's the reason majority refuse to come back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man dies in an accident, a day to his wife’s burial in Uyo / Bus Conveying Mourners To Burial Kills Old Man Riding Bicycle In Borno (Graphic) / Abuse And Collecting Bribes At The Philippines Embassy Gwarimpa, Abuja Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.