Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,214 members, 7,811,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? (23262 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / For Nigerians In The Diaspora:what Do You Miss About Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 8:37pm On Oct 27, 2010
jpworld:

I am home already with my wife and kids. The issue is mostly money. Many Naija abroad are poor and overrated as rich people. That's the reason majority refuse to come back.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by orbaxy(m): 8:38pm On Oct 27, 2010
Its disheartening to observe degradation and decay in just about everything associated with Nigeria (no offence). Time without number, threads like this culminate into senseless arguments, fights, abuses and eventually loses meaning. The poster has a vision which is in symmetry with the dreams of most of us cultivating outside the shores of home.
American passport is only a leverage. Am born Nigerian and i will die Nigerian. The true human value lies in the legacy you set for yourself.
It is our collective responsibilty to make Nigeria as comfortable as America, even if not for ourselves but for the generations to come. Afterall, people made sacrifices to make America what it is today. I live in Dubai and am amazed at the pride an Emerati exhibits when issues of nationhood are discussed. The Sheiks and sultans were visionary. The made the sacrifice. suprisingly, alot of folks in Nigeria are better off than this burger munchers who call Nigeria hell-hole. Anyway, if you have nothing to offer Nigeria, you can stay away,
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by ruffrider(f): 8:39pm On Oct 27, 2010
Nope I wouldn't go back.  That place looks horrific.  But then again some people like it like that.  Not me.  I would be standing up the whole time I am their, not sitting down.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Skywalker5(m): 8:40pm On Oct 27, 2010
i would if i  can get a job that can pay my bills.I have just finished my degree and waiting for my work Visa and pending the time, i already have a part time job that pays all my bills.
Coming back to Nigeria where unemployment is high at the moment is really what scares me. at least while i am looking for my permanent job,i can survive on my own without any body's support.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 8:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
ruffrider:

Nope I wouldn't go back.  That place looks horrific.  But then again some people like it like that.  Not me.  I would be standing up the whole time I am their, not sitting down.  

hahahah. Its people like this who make me laugh when i see them in Nigeria. I have friends born and bred in America who are now comfortably doing well in Naija. Dem dey siddon o. Well well. LOL

Na poverty dey drive people away. You that you will come back and see your mates, the time wey u dey speak through your nose, dem don go work make their pay, you dey their dey speak thru your nose.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kulutempa: 8:57pm On Oct 27, 2010
I wrote this a couple of weeks ago, and I will again repeat it below:

While some of you guys are arguing and knocking down Naija, big institutional investors like Citigroup have identified Nigeria as one of the top investment destinations in the world!

http://frontiermarkets.thomsonreuters.com/Pages/CitigroupAnalystPicksNigeriaasTopFrontierMarketin2010.aspx

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/global-markets/Nigeria-most-attractive-frontier-market-Mark-Mobius/articleshow/5753065.cms

Nairalanders, you may not believe this but Nigeria right now is like India or Brazil 10-15 years ago. It may not look like it but the trend is unstoppable simply because investment returns and growth potential in frontier markets like Nigeria are more than in the developed markets of Europe and America, even when you take account of the risk factor. In fact what some see as deep rooted problems in Nigeria such as poor infrastructure are actually tremendous investment opportunities because they represent a huge demand gap. Some Nigerians in the diaspora have realised this and they are now going back in full knowledge that their skills and exposure will likely command a premium and give them a competitive advantage back home. If you add Western capital in the form of foreign direct investment in areas such as power and infrastructure into the mix, you don't need to have a Phd in economics to realise that the same ingredients of capital and know how, that propelled the economies of China and India forward, are beginning to come together in Nigeria. The bottom line is that some people here will be kicking themselves in 10 years time for not taking advantage of opportunities that abound in Nigeria now but which brave pioneers and entrepreneurs are already taking advantage of. Eyes are for seeing, ears are for listening. Peace.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by gbishop: 9:20pm On Oct 27, 2010
many are back home.recession pushing them
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by lovejo(m): 9:23pm On Oct 27, 2010
I wish to go but with this i decide to stay back until Nigeria knows the right things to do at right time

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 9:24pm On Oct 27, 2010
many left during the Abacha period, or even many left 67 years ago. When they come home, they begin give their friends 10 10 naira or 50 50 naira, thinking it was like they left it. So when you even ask them to buy property like 5k dollar. they will scream like you wan to dupe them, not knowing you are advising them.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 9:26pm On Oct 27, 2010
i guess the conclusion to this whole argument is that nigeria is a wonderful place (it truly is, i have seen my rich friends on facebook on jetskis in the waters of the island, i have seen underground underwater restaurants where you are sorrounded by glass through which you see sharks and stuff, i have seen bentleys, beautiful mansions, cobbled streets, one of the best medical facilitys in the world in victoria island with all foreign trained doctors who specialize in stuff like cardiology, i have seen thousands of people in bike clubs (they all own harley davidsons and in groups of thousands ride around the island, i hear they even ride to ghana sef, i have seen incredible shopping malls, i have seen beautiful parks on the island with basketball and tennis courts, people now own yachts on the island, interior decorators with showrooms that bath and beyond will be jealous of, i have seen clubs on the beaches where you pay to rent ATV and drive it all over the sand i have seen it all in naija,

so what i am trying to say is that  naija is the most beautiful place if you have money, and the most miserable place if you dont. so if you are broke and living abroad ? there is no point in coming home. seriously. stay where you are. but if you are extremely rich and living in diaspora ? now is the time to come and enjoy what lagosians under the tutelage of fashola, the chinese, the arabs have built. a wonderful paradise for the taking. but only if you are rich

for those who dont know what an ATV is

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 9:27pm On Oct 27, 2010
This is why this man wont come home. Free bed.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 9:32pm On Oct 27, 2010
Indians, Chinese people, South Africans are trooping to Nigeria because they see the opportunity there. You, a Nigerian, now say, no, there is nothing for you in your own country? And you are not ashamed to say that one? The only reason is because of the same reason you left in the first instance. You are hell bent on living outside, now you have achieved that aim and you find out that you are still miserable, you get money from your girlfriends, you no fit pay, that kain person, how will u agree that naija is good? you will not, you will not even near the airport, because you can not afford to go there.

Te hehehehe.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by miket2(m): 9:35pm On Oct 27, 2010
hi i was born and raised in london apart from 5 years i attended high school in Lagos, im in the process of relocating back home, i have invested my savings of about £90,000 in a business venture which seems to be doing well
for the past two years ive been very much back and forth between london and lagos but my plan is to make lagos my base within two years, i still want to keep a place in london so obviously working things out would be slightly complicated
a lot of things drive me nuts about Nigeria and conducting business over there is awful but its my country , im proud to be Nigerian and hopefully God willing I can be one of those hoping to make it a better place.

This is the kind of people i like, not people who live on credit cards and cant even save £500 that come here to talk about how they will never relocate, i bet they dont know how much a ticket costs. How can someone in debt relocate?

Te hehehehe

i think what a lot of people fail to realise is that the US and the UK were not built overnight , the industrial revolution took place centuries ago, people built up those countries, if Nigerians do not build up the country who will?, we are trying to achieve in 50 years what took those countries centuries
im not knocking people that want to live and die outside Nigeria, thats your choice and i wish you luck, what baffles me are those that will criticize those that want to go back
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by SSaemoenl(m): 9:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
My dream to ride Ferrari!! lol

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by saridonp2: 10:00pm On Oct 27, 2010
Alot of people left Naija without knowing the main reason why they left but they all thought it was just economic reason.I think there are many factors that made living in Nigeria unreasonable and having access to those things elsewhere has changed many lives and going back you will need access to good infrastructure,sound institutions and security, No!I wont come to Nigeria because job provision or housing cant answer it all without adequate amenities,security,e.t.c and combining the attitude of families and girls towards people from abroad and how they try to scam you force and juju,its just a place you need to be ready for all those challenges before you can go back and not by motivation from any relocation agency,

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by DamiKhojie(m): 10:08pm On Oct 27, 2010
Seriously many of you Nigerians in Nigeria sound very bitter. No matter where you live unless you're blessed with connections (hell even if you are) you're going to have to struggle to try and make it. It's very misleading to suggest people who go abroad wouldn't have been struggling if they had stayed in Nigeria. It's also ridiculous to generalize every Nigerian abroad based on people you know of and from gossip it's usually the ones struggling who make the most noise, people who are well off don't need to prove it to you. In reality most Nigerians abroad do struggle for awhile but it's not for nothing eventually many will be comfortably living in the Suburbs. You Nigerians abroad aren't much better some of you sound so condescending and snobby. We all know Nigeria has it's problems but at the end of the day it's still where your roots are. It also isn't nearly as bad as some of you are describing/thinking.

@Topic Maybe imo opinion the best time to try and do this would be when you're young or after your well settled (like when your kids are out of the house). To be honest the chances of me going to Nigeria after I graduate are slim but if the economy/jobmarket are still poor when I do It'd definitely be a possibility.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 10:13pm On Oct 27, 2010
DamiKhojie:

Seriously many of you Nigerians in Nigeria sound very bitter. No matter where you live unless you're blessed with connections (hell even if you are) you're going to have to struggle to try and make it. It's very misleading to suggest people who go abroad wouldn't have been struggling if they had stayed in Nigeria. It's also ridiculous to generalize every Nigerian abroad based on people you know of and from gossip it's usually the ones struggling who make the most noise, [size=14pt]people who are well off don't need to prove it to you.[/size] In reality most Nigerians abroad do struggle for awhile but it's not for nothing eventually many will be comfortably living in the Suburbs. You Nigerians abroad aren't much better some of you sound so condescending and snobby. We all know Nigeria has it's problems but at the end of the day it's still where your roots are. It also isn't nearly as bad as some of you are describing/thinking.

@Topic Maybe imo opinion the best time to try and do this would be when you're young or after your well settled (like when your kids are out of the house). To be honest the chances of me going to Nigeria after I graduate are slim but if the economy/jobmarket are still poor when I do It'd definitely be a possibility.

Exactly. So, why are you talking like that if the bolded is true?

If the likes of Awolowo, Zik, etc studied abroad and stayed put, maybe Nigeria will still be under her colonial masters.

Anyway, noone is begging you, bro.

Te hehehe.
Te hehehehe. People who are well off dont worry about what people say about them.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by udeze(m): 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure a lot of Nigerians abroad including my self will like to return back home but there are a lot of things that needs to be fixed in that country, If the people currently residing in Nigeria cannot be able to fix it, Is it those that are abroad will do it for them, the ppl at home (at the helm of affairs) will start the cleaning process first
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 10:21pm On Oct 27, 2010
coming back home has been mis construed to mean coming back home to come and join in the development of Nigeria. Hell no, we dont need you. The talking back home that is always talked about is, if things are not okay, and you know very sincerely that this is true, then, try the option of coming back home. If you are a professional, or you have saved enough money, then, come back home to invest, or come back home to do something worthwhile, build a house on invest in something nice/. But if you are the type who is still in year one of study and you think you are part of the people they are calling to come back home, hell no. Stay where you are. But if the recession is bitting, omo, la oju e, shine your eyes, if na because of macdonalds, Tesco, Pizza, omo, those things booku for naija. But if you are a scammer, 419, armed robber, cocain pusher, credit card forger, nna, why will we beg you to come back to Nigeria?

To come do wetin? we will pray and fast that may you never remember home, and that may u be caugt and sent to eternal jail.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kabukabu50(m): 10:28pm On Oct 27, 2010
SSaemoenl:

My dream to ride Ferrari!! lol

Dont hate on your Pops grin grin grin grin.
Just holla at me if you want to upgrade your swagga.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kabukabu50(m): 10:47pm On Oct 27, 2010
buzugee:

i guess the conclusion to this whole argument is that nigeria is a wonderful place (it truly is, i have seen my rich friends on facebook on jetskis in the waters of the island, i have seen underground underwater restaurants where you are sorrounded by glass through which you see sharks and stuff, i have seen bentleys, beautiful mansions, cobbled streets, one of the best medical facilitys in the world in victoria island with all foreign trained doctors who specialize in stuff like cardiology, i have seen thousands of people in bike clubs (they all own harley davidsons and in groups of thousands ride around the island, i hear they even ride to ghana sef, i have seen incredible shopping malls, i have seen beautiful parks on the island with basketball and tennis courts, people now own yachts on the island, interior decorators with showrooms that bath and beyond will be jealous of, i have seen clubs on the beaches where you pay to rent ATV and drive it all over the sand i have seen it all in naija,

so what i am trying to say is that naija is the most beautiful place if you have money, and the most miserable place if you dont. so if you are broke and living abroad ? there is no point in coming home. seriously. stay where you are. but if you are extremely rich and living in diaspora ? now is the time to come and enjoy what lagosians under the tutelage of fashola, the chinese, the arabs have built. a wonderful paradise for the taking. but only if you are rich

for those who dont know what an ATV is

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[/quote

We all know what an ATV is grandpa grin grin grin, all the super exclusive activities like riding in the sand,boating,yachting,playing basketball and tennis is in every suburb of every major city in the US.you sound like a noob.From my house I can walk to a golf club,an airport,many tennis,basketball courts and endless trails for jogging,nature watching and relaxation.You really must be a roaster if you are fantasizing about naija so much.You need some sort of loan?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by DamiKhojie(m): 10:49pm On Oct 27, 2010
atampakoeg:

Exactly. So, why are you talking like that if the bolded is true?

If the likes of Awolowo, Zik, etc studied abroad and stayed put, maybe Nigeria will still be under her colonial masters.

Anyway, noone is begging you, bro.

Te hehehe.
Te hehehehe. People who are well off dont worry about what people say about them.

Right now I'm a student born in America so I don't think what's bolded would apply to me directly. However I wrote that because it annoys to me to see others senselessly criticizing other peoples situation, a situation that my parents and many others went through in order to become successful abroad. The guy who posted the picture of himself with the Ferarri just shows it's mostly the ones who like to pose making the noise (unless it was a joke either way that pic was too funny grin).

As for me moving to Nigeria I was just being honest the chances of me moving there after graduation are slim and if I were it would most likely be about the money ( As selfish as that sounds lol grin)
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 11:10pm On Oct 27, 2010
kabukabu50:

grin ok first off you are probably older than me. i am a young man but i started travelling early so i have tonnes of experience. secondly all those things are not in any surburbs. those kind of things are downtown. which surburb in america has yachts and underground restaurants ? none that i have been in. matter of fact all the american surburbs i have been in are boring and depressing. yes the houses are bigger but the people in them all stay indoors, and are very standoffish and snooty. good luck with that kind of living.

and lastly those kind of surburbs are filled with white people. good luck trying to play golf in the midst of all the archaic old white men.

imagine having all this in your own country ? you walk in there and everyone looks like you. no pre-concieved and hidden ideas about superiority ? utter bliss

a roaster ? what does that mean ? am i fantasizing about naija ? nope, but i am working towards making enough money so i can go back. if you call that roasting ? then i will be a roaster everyday all day. in fact from now on, just call me roaster. you see quite unlike you ? i had a very good time in nigeria. i bought my first car when i was 18 in naija. a datsun stanza. the only reason i stupidly left naija was because i am a british citizen. so i figured, hey you are british ? why not go to jand. i didnt leave naija because i was a suffer head like you. this is why i still have good memorys of the place. i no stay inside mushin slum like you  grin
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 27, 2010
i will definitely move to Nigeria someday, when I feel  the time is right in my life to do so. as i have never lived in 9ja, it has nothing to do with going back home but rather GOING WHERE I FEEL IS RIGHT.

i dont think i would ever use any type of service to relocate as i am sure i can find the right info/people online.
think about it for a minute, just from NL we have "LAWYER" who is THE MOST HONEST/RELIABLE person to talk to if you want to purchase a home or want to buy land, then we have people like INSPIRED_M for anything related to motor or for bringing your wheels over.

thanks to the internet, relocating to 9ja would be easier than people may think.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by NewEmblem(m): 11:23pm On Oct 27, 2010
There is nothing i wish more than this, I Pray a better opportunity shows itself, I am tired of the western Life yet I dont really see myself surviving in the Jungle call Nigeria without earning above average, I Love my Country, I Love Nigeria
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by EzeUche0(m): 11:30pm On Oct 27, 2010
And who d helll are you atampakoeg?

I guess you never have heard of the great EzeUche.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Oct 27, 2010
One point NaijaPosh seems to have forgotten, is what the definition of home is. Home means different things to different people. Regardless of your background, home is where the heart is. Britain is my home, so how can I return home when I'm already there?

Even if things were different, with regards to where I regard as home, I would not uproot myself and my family to return to Nigeria on a permanent basis, regardless of what was on offer. Visiting? A resounding yes, permanent relocation? No.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kabukabu50(m): 11:54pm On Oct 27, 2010
buzugee:

grin ok first off you are probably older than me. i am a young man but i started travelling early so i have tonnes of experience. secondly all those things are not in any surburbs. those kind of things are downtown. which surburb in america has yachts and underground restaurants ? none that i have been in. matter of fact all the american surburbs i have been in are boring and depressing. yes the houses are bigger but the people in them all stay indoors, and are very standoffish and snooty. good luck with that kind of living.

and lastly those kind of surburbs are filled with white people. good luck trying to play golf in the midst of all the archaic old white men.

imagine having all this in your own country ? you walk in there and everyone looks like you. no pre-concieved and hidden ideas about superiority ? utter bliss

a roaster ? what does that mean ? am i fantasizing about naija ? nope, but i am working towards making enough money so i can go back. if you call that roasting ? then i will be a roaster everyday all day. in fact from now on, just call me roaster. you see quite unlike you ? i had a very good time in nigeria. i bought my first car when i was 18 in naija. a datsun stanza. the only reason i stupidly left naija was because i am a british citizen. so i figured, hey you are british ? why not go to jand. i didnt leave naija because i was a suffer head like you. this is why i still have good memorys of the place. i no stay inside mushin slum like you  grin

There is just one respectable Mall in Lagos,period, Bar beach and alpha beach touts waiting to grab your money,No six flags and no water parks,no disney world ,no disney land.Six flags amusement park is ten minutes from my house in Atlanta,There are three lakes within an hours drive,I go biking and fishing inside the national park not far away from my subdivision, I have no idea what you are talking about.There are 6 malls alone in the state of Georgia with hundreds more top class shopping centres.

There are many bike clubs in atlanta and car clubs,if you want to race you can go to Road atlanta or Atlanta Motor Speedway,if you want to cruise heck you can ride across the country if you choose,Miami is just next door,to do all the boating in the world,or you can go down to cumberland Island or Savannah GA,just 3 hours away.

Atlanta has tons of fun stuff to do,and its not even one of the top 10 cities in the USA,plus great weather year round, only seen heavy snow twice in Atlanta, most of the time in summer it is as hot as Naija grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kabukabu50(m): 11:58pm On Oct 27, 2010
More,Georgia Aquarium,the largest aquarium in the world and Bikeweek in Atlanta.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 12:04am On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

And who d helll are you atampakoeg?

I guess you never have heard of the great EzeUche.

who the F are you?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 12:05am On Oct 28, 2010
kabukabu50:

More,Georgia Aquarium,the largest aquarium in the world and Bikeweek in Atlanta.

No matter who wins in a rat race,you are still a rat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man dies in an accident, a day to his wife’s burial in Uyo / Bus Conveying Mourners To Burial Kills Old Man Riding Bicycle In Borno (Graphic) / Abuse And Collecting Bribes At The Philippines Embassy Gwarimpa, Abuja Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.