Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,478 members, 7,830,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group (43582 Views)

Gov Fubara Receives Wike's Royal Father, Eze Oha Apara Kingdom On Solidarity Vis / Wike, Sanwoolu And Makinde Conferred With Honorary Doctorate Degrees (Photos) / Chisom Promise Dike Rejects Wike’s SUV Gift, Asks Governor To Repair Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 08, 2019
jimyjames:

Afonja there is no tribe called anioma,anioma is an Igbo region across the Niger river carved under Delta state , there are 3 other anioma town's in Anambra ,,eg Onitsha
I bet u have never been to Delta grin
there is Anioma, ndokwa and ukwuani in Delta that speaks Igbo but don't call themselves Igbo
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by midnighter(f): 7:39pm On Dec 08, 2019

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by OIamide: 7:41pm On Dec 08, 2019
imiski:
Na by force we say we no wan be Ibo why can't you people just let us be. It's annoying.

If you bear Igbo name, practice Igbo culture, speak Igbo dialect.
Then you're Igbo. You can stop being Igbo by stopping being ikwerre.

Why Ikwerre?
Why not Efik, Ibibio, Anang etc

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by oyatz(m): 7:41pm On Dec 08, 2019
Long time bros.

We have missed your matured contributions on Nairaland since Okorocha's issue.

On the Ikwerres matter, do you honestly think the people don't know their history?

From my little research on the topic, the Ikwerres' desired to be seen as a separate ethnic group even before Independence in 1960 and not after the civil war as many Igbos on Nairaland like to paint it.

They submitted memoranda to the Willinks Commission on the fears to the minorities and were part of the Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers (COR) movement in the old Eastern Region agitating for a separate region for the Non-Igbo people of the Eastern Region.

Abagworo:
Ikwerre originated from Igbo not quite long ago but has developed a unique identity that separates it from Igbo. Congrats Wike but extend your develoomental projects beyond Port-Harcourt urban.

2 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 08, 2019
niaralandtopuser:
plenty people like the people in Asaba and it nearby area because I know that is the only area that identify with Igbo. you are just making my point clearer that language does not mean you belong to a certain tribal group. if adopting English did not make Africans, Americans and even the whole of UK English, why do you think adopting Igbo will make people Igbo even when they claim their ancestors came from other part of the countries
1. They speak Igbo language.
2. They answer Igbo firstnames and surnames.
Calm down and accept that Ikwerre is Igbo grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 08, 2019
OIamide:

If you bear Igbo name, practice Igbo culture, speak Igbo dialect.
Then you're Igbo. You can stop being Igbo by stopping being ikwerre.

Why Ikwerre?
Why not Efik, Ibibio, Anang etc
Very simple matter grin
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by oyatz(m): 8:02pm On Dec 08, 2019
What makes a word Igbo?

If Igbo speak their language, it's Igbo and if Ikwerres speak their language, it's Ikwerre language.

Both Bini and Yoruba languages share some words e.g Iye, Oba, Omo, Ogedengbe (Ogedegbe) etc but you will never see either Bini or Yoruba people claiming exclusive right over these words.

If an Edo man is bearing Akerele ,Taiwo, Ogun, Tayo,Omonoba, or A(k)pata , these names will be Edo names but if Yorubas bear the same names, they are Yoruba names.

obiekunie2:

Oga pls stop this your long grammar!

no body is dragging your ikwerre with you!

all we are asking is - PLEASE DEVELOP YOUR OWN VOWELS AND CONSONANTS AND STOP ADULTERATING AND ABUSING THE IGBO LANGUAGE!

YOU CAN GO TO THE NORTH OR EVEN TO CHAD AND BORROW THEIRS BUT LEAVE THE IGBO VOWELS, CONSONANTS AND DIPHTHONG ALONE!

waka! una no wan waka! comot for road! una no wan comot for road! haba! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by jimyjames(m): 8:05pm On Dec 08, 2019
niaralandtopuser:
there is Anioma, ndokwa and ukwuani in Delta that speaks Igbo but don't call themselves Igbo
They call themselves delta Igbo, back then when it was bendel state they called themselves bendel Igbo, whatever they call themselves they call it for political reasons noting more, during the Biafra war the denied their igbiod ethnicity but the federal government soldiers separated them from the other tribes in Delta and killed all the men that were present that day , the ikweres in rivers state weren't spared even though the denied Igbo for fear of been killed, the ekpeye in rivers were not cowards like the ikweres, ekpeye identified themselves as Igbo's even during the Biafra war

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by midnighter(f): 8:05pm On Dec 08, 2019
immhotep:
2. They answer Igbo firstnames and surnames

And always rushing to explain themselves when you didnt ask!

I will introduce myself, Hi, my name is midnighter.

The other person: "Okay, I am Amaka, but I'm not Igbo, I am Ikwerre"

Did anybody ask them? No. But they will keep explaining it because they know it doesnt make any sense.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 08, 2019
midnighter:

And always rushing to explain themselves when you didnt ask!

I will introduce myself, Hi, my name is midnighter.

The other person: "Okay, I am Amaka, but I'm not Igbo, I am Ikwerre"

Did anybody ask them? No. But they will keep explaining it because they know it doesnt make any sense.
No one can run away from his/her shadow grin grin
If Gov Wike contests for presidency in 2023, helinues, afamed and co. will tag him as an Igbo man grin grin grin

cc lzaa gmbuharii metaphysical rekhina

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 08, 2019
oyatz:
What makes a word Igbo?

If Igbo speak their language, it's Igbo and if Ikwerres speak their language, it's Ikwerre language.

Both Bini and Yoruba languages share some words e.g Iye, Oba, Omo, Ogedengbe (Ogedegbe) etc but you will never see either Bini or Yoruba people claiming exclusive right over these words.

If an Edo man is bearing Akerele ,Taiwo, Ogun, Tayo,Omonoba, or A(k)pata , these names will be Edo names but if Yorubas bear the same names, they are Yoruba names.
Kai, bros you are mis-yarning seriously grin grin grin
If words do not belong to any language, then the classification of languages and the formation of dictionaries is a gross waste of effort.

cc lzaa gmbuharii

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by oyatz(m): 8:10pm On Dec 08, 2019
This matter is NOT peculiar to the Igbos, it happens all over Nigeria.

Many Danladi Ayuba, Ibrahim Umar, Abu Hashidu or Tanko Doma that you call Hausas are not Hausa.

There are many people from Ogori-Mangogo LGA in Kogi State who claim their aren't Yorubas but bear Ademola, Adeleke or Ogundele as surnames.

BULLIONVAN4:
Assuming someone bearing "chibuike amadi" is convicted in fraud, will you say he is ikwerre or igbo(assuming his state/lga of origin is not mentioned)

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by helinues: 8:10pm On Dec 08, 2019
immhotep:

If Gov Wike contests for presidency in 2023, helinues, afamed and co. will tag him as an Igbo man grin grin grin

Mynd4
Lalasticlacla
Seun
Dominique
OAMJ4

This guy doesn't seems to stop being a troller. Abeg help we his victims
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Rekhina(f): 8:12pm On Dec 08, 2019
immhotep:

but woke should be careful ,he shudnt do wat fulanis do in Nigeria ,
Isn't possible ikwerre will rule portharcourt forever , I don't support this

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 08, 2019
jimyjames:

They call themselves delta Igbo, back then when it was bendel state they called themselves bendel Igbo, whatever they call themselves they call it for political reasons noting more, during the Biafra war the denied their igbiod ethnicity but the federal government soldiers separated them from the other tribes in Delta and killed all the men that were present that day , the ikweres in rivers state weren't spared even though the denied Igbo for fear of been killed, the ekpeye in rivers were not cowards like the ikweres, ekpeye identified themselves as Igbo's even during the Biafra war
how many community in Delta experienced the war
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 08, 2019
Rekhina:
but woke should be careful ,he shudnt do wat fulanis do in Nigeria ,
Isn't possible ikwerre will rule portharcourt forever , I don't support this
Pls explain further
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 08, 2019
immhotep:

1. They speak Igbo language.
2. They answer Igbo firstnames and surnames.
Calm down and accept that Ikwerre is Igbo grin grin
they should be the one to accept not me
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Rekhina(f): 8:15pm On Dec 08, 2019
immhotep:

Pls explain further
him and his ikwerre brothers wants pH city all to themselves ,y know I hate greed.
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 08, 2019
Rekhina:
him and his ikwerre brothers wants pH city all to themselves ,y know I hate greed.
well, politics is a game of numbers grin grin
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Rekhina(f): 8:18pm On Dec 08, 2019
immhotep:

well, politics is a game of numbers grin grin
Mtchew ..then am disappointed in u angry
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 08, 2019
Rekhina:
Mtchew ..then am disappointed in u angry
Sweetie, na so all of us see am oh grin grin kiss kiss kiss
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by jimyjames(m): 8:25pm On Dec 08, 2019
niaralandtopuser:
how many community in Delta experienced the war
The war in Delta happened only in the Igbo speaking communities especially asaba when the Nigerian troops chased the Biafran soldiers through asaba across the Niger river the biafrans blew up the Niger bridge so the Nigerian troops went back to asaba and started killing the Igbo's in asaba claiming they are biafrans only Igbo's were killed

4 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by 0monnak0da: 8:28pm On Dec 08, 2019
mercyville:
Igbos should leave these people .I believe they were Ibos initially(I still think they are Ibos) just like Itshekiris were Yorubas initially but now want to be known as Itshekiri but not forgetting their Yoruba root.Yoruba have lost no sleep or try to force them to be Yorubas by force.There is even a group in IMO state that came from Ife....they were Yorubas from IFE....but are now Igbos as at today. Vanguard carried a story about them once when there was a land dispute.
Some Ikweres will always remember that their root exist in Igboland(some still claimed Bini).
Leave them and they will run back to you Ibos.
It is a matter of time.

Initially

Ikwerre claim Paternal ancestry in Edo and some maternal ancestry in Igbo

They are located in what was the largest Igbo slave market

Ask Asari Dokubo he can confirm it so that has influenced there sociocultural outlook

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by oyatz(m): 8:29pm On Dec 08, 2019
Enu (Yoruba)= Onu (Igbo)
Igiripa(Yoruba)= Dimkpa( Igbo)
Okunrin(Yoruba)= Okoro(Igbo)
Asee(Yoruba)= Isee (Bini)= Isee(Igbo)

Oba(Bini)= Oba(Yoruba)
Bazuaye(Bini)= Bajulaye (Yoruba)
Iye(Bini)= Iya/Iye (Yoruba)
Omo(Bini)= Omo (Yoruba)= Umu(Igbo)

Oliseh (Ika)= Oritse (Itshekiri)= Orisha (Yoruba)= Olisa (Igbo)
Okuta (Yoruba)= Okute( Ika)= Okwute(Igbo).

# My question: which of these language bastardized the other(s)?
Which of them is the original and which one copied from the others?

midnighter:

Itshekiris accept that they are related to Yoruba and Itshekiri language itself is an ancient dialect of Yoruba.

Urhobo/ Isoko dichotomy is an individual political issue; some of them accept that they are the same yet others argue vehemently that they are totally different

Is it that they adopted a language similar to Igbo or that they speak Igbo? So where did they get the quasi-Igbo language from?

Igbo people are naturally disparate; we were just unified recently under the umbrella term "Igbo". The Igbo dialects spoken in part of Enugu and Ebonyi states are completely unintelligible to the average Igbo speaker, yet they still accept themselves as Igbo even though going by your logic, they have even more right to claim that they are something else because the language has almost nothing to do with central Igbo.

At school, Anioma and Igbo days are celebrated differently for political reasons that dont hold water. I have met plenty of people from Delta who just call themselves "Delta Igbo" from Ibusa, Kwale, Agbor. What is your point exactly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by CSTR2: 8:29pm On Dec 08, 2019
I learnt today that mercy chinwo is ikwerre.
I was surprised. I was thinking anambra or abia.

That lady is more fluent and Igbo conscious than most Igbo ladies from Enugu state.

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by midnighter(f): 8:32pm On Dec 08, 2019
oyatz:

Enu (Yoruba)= Onu (Igbo)

Oba(Bini)= Oba(Yoruba)

I have no idea. Whats the answer?

That people have crossed over and collected words from each other, especially after being forced into the same country, is not surprising.

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 08, 2019
midnighter:

We are talking about 2 different issues here:

1. Do they speak Igbo
2. Are they Igbo

1. You tried to say that they dont speak Igbo, you later admitted that they speak Igbo because "Igbo" is just a catch-all term for a particular cluster of dialects that share similar constructions.

2. I am telling you that I know plenty of Deltans who identify themselves as Igbo. You are saying that many of them do not see themselves as Igbo. So we are stuck there and there we shall remain.

Stop saying that theyre not Igbo as if that is a conclusive statement, because its not. There are plenty of Delta Igbos and theres nothing you can do about it.
you say they speak Igbo but they said they don't speak Igbo. You can't force someone to be you. How many plenty people do you know in Delta. up to 100. How many Igbo speaking communities do you know in Delta except the very popular ones. You call them all Anioma but some call themselves Ndokwa while others call themselves ukwuani. You claim all of them as Igbo but they see themselves as three different tribe. Even the lka man in Delta is beginning to think he is no longer part of Ndokwa, ukwuani or Anioma. The only places people identify as Igbo is Asaba and a few communities around. Even those we use to refers to as Urhobo no longer see themselves as one. Delta is complicated my dear. Communities are tracing their ancestry. You can only get the clear picture of you are a deltan

1 Like

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 08, 2019
oyatz:

Enu (Yoruba)= Onu (Igbo)

Oba(Bini)= Oba(Yoruba)

Its hard to say, these are words shared across linguistic groups.

But Ikwerre-Igbo dictionary is 99% identical to Onitsha-Igbo dictionary grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by CSTR2: 8:34pm On Dec 08, 2019
Besides, looking at the physical facial features of Tonto dike, Mercy chinwo, wike, monalisa chinda, and co.

You don't need anybody to tell you that these people are as igbotic as any Igbo in the South east.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 08, 2019
jimyjames:

The war in Delta happened only in the Igbo speaking communities especially asaba when the Nigerian troops chased the Biafran soldiers through asaba across the Niger river the biafrans blew up the Niger bridge so the Nigerian troops went back to asaba and started killing the Igbo's in asaba claiming they are biafrans only Igbo's were killed
how many Igbo speaking communities did the war affect
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Powersurge: 8:36pm On Dec 08, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Just shut it.

Has life left you behind too?
Re: Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 08, 2019
Powersurge:

Has life left you behind too?

Just shut it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

LP’s Legal Team In Court With HD TV As Channels TV Staff Is Called As Witness. / Boko Haram Captures 5 Towns In Adamawa With Chants Of Alalahu Alkbar / 5 Youngest Heads Of State In Nigeria's History: Age And Date Of Birth (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.