Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,110 members, 7,849,462 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 10:02 PM

Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? (9354 Views)

My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. / What's The Difference Between Dating In Your 20s And 30s? / 2 Colleagues Fight Over Same Man They Are Dating In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 11:08pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

Saying everyone is born an atheist is false. Everyone is born "tabula rasa", no belief, no knowledge.
Your answer is quite different from the question I asked, I never used the term belief system but just belief. If you understand what a belief is, then it would be easier to understand how atheism has generated into a system. Belief is the foundation to knowledge, and that which can be known has to be true but at the end of the day, belief doesn't amount to knowledge. But to hold a belief is to take a position as against not holding one at all which is in itself another position and that's why I said the denial of a thing is the creation of another even if it might not have been held before. The idea of God's existence necessarily creates room for the denial of that same existence thus an existing belief system necessarily creates an alternate belief system questioning and taking a different position from that very one. Atheists hold the following beliefs:
*God does not exist
*He cannot be seen
*There is no force acting on humans, its just us and us alone etc
If I walk up to 1990 atheists, they will repeat same thing over and again, if such belief isn't systematic, then what's it?
While the person you quoted was wrong to have said we are born atheist. everything else you posted here are meaningless word games and strawman
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 28, 2019
whitelotus:

That is a convoluted argument. The only thing that all atheists agree on is their disbelief in god.

How a disbelief is now a belief system is beyond me

As a belief system do a study on Russia, then you ll understand, how it goes beyond mere agreeing in disbelief in god. Infact, you will come to the realisation of the militant Atheists of Russia and a whole society built on such a belief system in the history of Russia.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 28, 2019
hopefulLandlord:

While the person you quoted was wrong to have said we are born atheist. everything else you posted here are meaningless word games and strawman

You have not made any point though. undecided
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 11:11pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:

You have not made any point though.
do I need to?
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 28, 2019
hopefulLandlord:
do I need to?

Except if you are not intelligent enough to do so.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 11:13pm On Dec 28, 2019
fieryy:
Since this is gradually turning into a rant thread. I want to rant about those, who always feel the need to preach to me.

I went to afroshop the other day, started talking to a guy who then asked me: 'Are you going to church tomorrow?'

I told him I was an atheist. This idiot accused me of worshipping the devil, said I was adapting a western belief and started quoting the bible up and down.

How am I adapting a western belief? HOOOOW?! When Christianity itself is not African!!!!
How dare you say Christianity is not African? didn't you hear that popular song about father Abraham having many sons, I'm one of them and so are you.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 11:13pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:

Except if you are not intelligent enough to do so.

I'm not intelligent
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2019
hopefulLandlord:

I'm not intelligent
grin Not difficult to discern.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2019
janettee:

Parents force me kee? Lool grin grin

My dad doesn't care about religion, has never cared.

My mum is religious too but then she can't force me to go to church. I mean my younger brother isn't forced to go to church either cheesy.

lucky you
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by janettee(f): 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2019
whitelotus:

I know. I schooled in Europe. I became an atheist my 2nd year in university.

Oh, interesting smiley.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:
grin Not difficult to discern.
easy peasy
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Babacele: 11:27pm On Dec 28, 2019
ain't most Nigerians by our conducts atheists?

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 11:28pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:

As a belief system do a study on Russia, then you ll understand, how it goes beyond mere agreeing in disbelief in god. Infact, you will come to the realisation of the militant Atheists of Russia and a whole society built on such a belief system in the history of Russia.

Communism not atheism
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 11:31pm On Dec 28, 2019
Babacele:
ain't most Nigerians by our conducts atheists?
care to elucidate?
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 11:41pm On Dec 28, 2019
janettee:

Oh, interesting smiley.

Very interesting cool
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Babacele: 11:44pm On Dec 28, 2019
who steals money meant for the public and keep in a toilet while some imams or pastors gleefully look away as obtained here if not those who don't really believe what they preach: that God exists? what about exam malpractices, bribery and corruption, prejudices ,hatred and other vices despite our claims to religious teachings against these evils?
hopefulLandlord:
care to elucidate?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Dec 28, 2019
whitelotus:

I am tired of dating Christians. I want something different.

I want a babe who wouldn't mind a court wedding. I want a babe who can discuss with me on an intellectual level.

Imagine being oppressed with religion at work only to find that your partner is planning tor you to go to a vigil. You actually dont have a partner tha can comfort you in this overreligious country.

If your babe has ever tithed her full first month salary and became a dull time financially dependent baby on your account, you would think twice.

LMAO the fact non-religious people see religious people as non-intellectual people irks me.
Indians are very religious & also very brilliant people, Doctors, Engineers, Scientist etc. An average Chinese person who is a Buddhist is even far more intelligent.

I'm fully religious & I only want a Court wedding to be honest, It saves money & time, plus other logistics.

I have many Male friends who are not religious in any form & I have never even tried to convince them lmao, what's my business with their beliefs? as long as I'm not getting married to you, we're fine.

Yet i keep seeing people on Social Media saying they cannot find non-religious partners, are you guys living under a tree or what?

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Sunnystooth(m): 12:02am On Dec 29, 2019
janettee:

You can't really change that you know grin grin.
I don't mind as long as she doesn't try to preach to me.
Lolz... Funny you.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by pocohantas(f): 12:13am On Dec 29, 2019
truthsayer009:

LMAO the fact non-religious people see religious people as non-intellectual people irks me.
Indians are very religious & also very brilliant people, Doctors, Engineers, Scientist etc. An average Chinese person who is a Buddhist is even far more intelligent.

I'm fully religious & I only want a Court wedding to be honest, It saves money & time, plus other logistics.

I have many Male friends who are not religious in any form & I have never even tried to convince them lmao, what's my business with their beliefs? as long as I'm not getting married to you, we're fine.

Yet i keep seeing people on Social Media saying they cannot find non-religious partners, are you guys living under a tree or what?

I wonder o. Any small thing Nigerians start to do, them go call am the standard for intelligence. Next thing you will hear is "I am sapiosexual", lmao.

That was how one told me fans of GOT have high IQ. I just saw one in a thread implying solving Maths and drawing circle with compass is some fcking sapiosexual quality abi attraction.

The things we read on NL.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 12:13am On Dec 29, 2019
Babacele:
who steals money meant for the public and keep in a toilet while some imams or pastors gleefully look away as obtained here if not those who don't really believe what they preach: that God exists? what about exam malpractices, bribery and corruption, prejudices ,hatred and other vices despite our claims to religious teachings against these evils?

Fair enough but I'm more concerned by how you associated these things with atheists like there's a rule book written for atheists saying they need to take part in these vices

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by AdekunleScience: 12:18am On Dec 29, 2019
DMPaulSr:
True talks...
I myself is an apatheist... Quiet different from atheism in some way sha.. Just that apatheism is about, "if there is a God or not, we are not interested". I stopped disclosing my identity when people started avoiding me in school. One time last month, a guy called me a lost soul. I laff sha. Can't someone practice what he believes in peace? Nigerian Christians are the highest hypocrites in this world.. No Muslim will look at you like a demon when you tell them your belief...

We are on the same page. I don't believe in supernatural stuff cause I am yet to come across a concrete evidence that proves the existence of such. However, even if there is actually a God, I simply don't give a fuuuucck. Humanity is all that matters to me.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by MJBOLT: 12:43am On Dec 29, 2019
indians and nigerians are not the same,the average religious nigerian is dumb AF.

truthsayer009:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 12:51am On Dec 29, 2019
hopefulLandlord:

Yea, to a dunce undecided
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 1:02am On Dec 29, 2019
whitelotus:

That is a convoluted argument. The only thing that all atheists agree on is their disbelief in god.

How a disbelief is now a belief system is beyond me
There's a difference between disbelief and a lack of belief. Theism and atheism are but two sides of a coin, heads and tail. Although but are on opposite sides but they make up the coin, you can call one a belief system and claim the other is not.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 1:04am On Dec 29, 2019
Iloveu2:

Read the highlighted below which I made in advance just to make you not become confuse but still yet,

What's instinctive knowledge?
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 1:07am On Dec 29, 2019
DMPaulSr:

Btw I'm not here for argument...
OK, learnt something new today.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by DMPaulSr: 1:13am On Dec 29, 2019
AdekunleScience:
We are on the same page. I don't believe in supernatural stuff cause I am yet to come across a concrete evidence that proves the existence of such. However, even if there is actually a God, I simply don't give a fuuuucck. Humanity is all that matters to me.
That's just it... The world is full of mysteries. Live ur life and go, there's nothing in this world.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:16am On Dec 29, 2019
DMPaulSr:
True talks...
I myself is an apatheist... Quiet different from atheism in some way sha.. Just that apatheism is about, "if there is a God or not, we are not interested". I stopped disclosing my identity when people started avoiding me in school. One time last month, a guy called me a lost soul. I laff sha. Can't someone practice what he believes in peace? Nigerian Christians are the highest hypocrites in this world.. No Muslim will look at you like a demon when you tell them your belief...

wow...I think I prefer this apatheism to atheism. If an atheist starts believing in God he can convert to Christianity but in apatheism whether I find evidence(which is unlikely) to believe in God or not I still will not return to religion....

Cc:lordreed,hahn,lordreed,1Sharon,hopefullanlord,capslocked,iamsabrina

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 1:17am On Dec 29, 2019
Iloveu2:

And except a baby is beaten they do not cry,?! grin Are you turning a blind eye to the simple fact that babies cry without being beaten and even more so because the seek attention. Don't be selective in your analysis by being divergent from the fact that IT IS NOT ONLY WHEN A BABY IS BEATEN THAT A BABY CRIES.

Even science does not start with a proof, it starts with a general statement called hypothesis which in this case unless you love to argue blind will you disprove that babies do cry to get attention for their need.
It seems you are forgetting you're the one who said babies cry because they need attention. I only gave a different scenario and you trying to analyse it, that's really poor dude. Don't make assertions you cannot follow through with.
I don't need to disprove anything, you are already doing that by yourself. From the first paragraph you said that babies could cry for divergent reasons and ended the second paragraph conflicting that claim saying babies do cry to get attention for their need. Which one should we take? undecided
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 4:18am On Dec 29, 2019
truthsayer009:

I am talking about Nigeria. I will stand and say that the average religious Nigerian would find it hard to discuss liberal issues.

The mistake you are making is to assume that the Chinese are religious in the same way Nigerians are. Firstly, Buddhism is a very different religion from the Abrahamic ones. Secondly, a lot of chinese are atheists who are culturally religious.

Furthermore, how many atheist or irreligious ladies do you know?
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by ForbesHomesNG(m): 4:19am On Dec 29, 2019
whitelotus:

I am talking about Nigeria. I will stand and say that the average religious Nigerian would find it hard to discuss liberal issues....how many atheist or irreligious ladies do you know?
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 4:21am On Dec 29, 2019
Apination:

There's a difference between disbelief and a lack of belief. Theism and atheism are but two sides of a coin, heads and tail. Although but are on opposite sides but they make up the coin, you can call one a belief system and claim the other is not.

False. Theism in of itself is not a belief system. That is like saying christianity is a sect because it has many sects under it. Theism is an umbrella term for many beliefs in god, including deism.

Atheism remains a disbelief and not a belief system

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

My Wife And Her Mum Packed Everything And Left Me With Nothing. / How To Toast A Girl With Yoruba / Look At What I Saw On My Girlfriend's Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.