Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,145 members, 7,815,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Why Did You Stop Going To Church - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did You Stop Going To Church (23960 Views)

Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel Returns To Church With Eye Patch After Knife Attack / Why Did You Reduce Or Stop Going To Church? / Why Did You Stop Going To Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 21, 2021
even the Bible say hand wey no work no gas to eat so in my own case na work and GOD understand
Thessalonians chapter 3:10 he says, uh, 'for even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: if a man will not work, he shall not eat.
Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by nomenclature(m): 9:50am On Nov 21, 2021
You will realize one day, maybe not in this lifetime though
Rushur:
I dey church now so wetin u dey talk ?
Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by eedimo(m): 9:51am On Nov 21, 2021
"Church poeple" are really heartless!!!
I'm grateful to God for allowing me enjoy his presence irrespective of time or location.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Olarsview: 9:52am On Nov 21, 2021
Onyiiobi7735:

Thanks for the beautiful insight.
You spoke the Golden truth.

Thanks to God bro

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by sonmvayina(m): 9:52am On Nov 21, 2021
kjhova:
I was mid teen when I started to really questing the Bible, church and by extension, religion as a whole. My eager venture into my sciences triggered a reevaluation of the beliefs I held dear from childhood. So I asked a bucket load of questions which my church elders couldn't answer in any intelligent manner.

1) Who made God?
2) if there's a God, isn't that enough proof that there may be gods?
3) the universe is geologically older than the 6,000 years proposed by creation story?
4) how do you believe that snakes, donkeys etc have conversations with mentally healthy humans?
5) you do know that mental ailment is purely physical. How's Jesus healing by casting out demons?
6) what was the practical sense for Jesus turning water into alcoholic beverage at a party? To proof his messiahness or for show off?
7) Moses, Joshua, Gideon, Saul, David, Samuel etc seem to me like Hebrew supremacists and bigots who committed several acts of genocide and mass murder of innocent people. How are they saints?
cool Talking of Joshua. He stopped the sun from moving across the sky for 1 day? Are you crazy
9) If Bishop Oyedepo turned 1 shawarma into 2,000 basketful of shawarma in your presence, would you dare eat it? Is the Jesus story rational?
10) a whale had Jonah in it's digestive system for 3 days and he lived?
11) God and his arch enemy, Satan, really took a bet on Job leading to the killing of his 24 innocent children just to prove what point?!
12) God hardened pharaoh's heart, then ended up killing him and his soldiers for doing what same God hardened his heart to do!?
13) Moses had an israelite & his Medianite mistress murdered for breaking law on foreign women while he has a Medianite wife too??
14) Lot's wife turns into sodium chloride, all for looking back? Really??
15) specifically, why does a 33 years old guy have to be murdered for me to be saved? Saved from what, exactly?
16) Paul was a male chauvinist, and an usurper who never met Jesus. His conversion story seem more bullocks than credible.
17) what was the credentials for the "children" of israel being ordained as god's people and the rest of us, gentiles who must be wiped out to create "lebensraum" for the Hebrews?
18) creation story suggests that the stars hang in the "firmaments of the heavens" (AKA sky). That's easily debunked by any JSS1 Geography student!
19) who influenced David to conduct israel's 1st census? Kings said it was God. Chronicles said it was the Devil!
20) The crucifixion narrative of all 4 gospels don't rhyme! Either 3 are fade or they are all lies!
21) Give me biblical backing for having church denominations with papas and daddy and mummy GOs?
22) how's the bible creation story different from that of Odudua? Why do I have to accept theirs and reject mine?
23) when we do find proof of life outside this tiny blue planet of ours, would we need a "newest testament" to accommodate the expiration of the current one?

I got disillusioned with church before turning 18 years. One required a certain level of brain emptiness to find meaning in there.

Number 9 though...

I no go eat oh...

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Horlufemi(m): 9:55am On Nov 21, 2021
As you grow spiritually you'll understand that those businesses we go to every Sunday is not church.

They had good intentions but it's value is insignificant today.

God isn't interested if you go to Church. He's about if you are like Christ and accepted Christ

12 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Angelfrost(m): 9:55am On Nov 21, 2021
OlawaleBammie:

I cried bitterly the day i realized i didn't have a gift, i just go there and sidon as member everytime. Den i lost interest.

I wish i could be an organist but fate didn't put it that way. So....

You can play any instrument if you are interested... The key word is "Interest".

There are top musicians even in the gospel world who taught themselves how to play instruments.

So, it's up to you... You don't lack gifts, you simply lack motivation.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:55am On Nov 21, 2021
Brunicekid:
Yur eyes will be opened to the light, Christ and you will come to that true knowledge, in Jesus Name, I pray.
Sincere truth bro, as a muslim I already have Jesus Christ (AS) comfortably in my life. Just that we (muslims and christians) have Jesus in our lives in different ways. That's discussion for another day sha

5 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Noble1010: 9:55am On Nov 21, 2021
Deep ....... church nowadays are social gathering, only few practices the Christianity ways.

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Mfangatak: 9:57am On Nov 21, 2021
I checked through the New Testament Bible, I have not seen anywhere Jesus said; one should pray for his/her enemy to die. In most Churches these days, this prayer point is regularly used and I can't stand it. So stay off.

9 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by nedzuby: 9:58am On Nov 21, 2021
Nahunger:
Many Christians have backslided from attending church service due to one reason or the other.

I am no here to judge, I only wish you can tell us your peculiar reason and hopefully someone might be here to advice you on what to do.

No one is perfect, we all learn from birth to death always have a open heart to the endless possibilities been alive.

I relocated to another state. But I still listen to online services from my church in Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by kay29000(m): 10:01am On Nov 21, 2021
I took time to read the whole Bible, and then my eyes opened.

If anyone takes time to actually read the whole Bible (voluntarily) with a critical/logical mind, you will have so many questions, and those questions will lead to other questions... And, you will know you only believe what you believe from religion because you were inductrinated into it as a child, when your brain was at a state of tabula rasa and you just took in everything without questioning them. And that became your belief system... But it doesn't make it true. But the thing is, it is super hard to override a program in the human mind/brain that was put there at a young age.

Anyway, I don't have problem with people that go to church. I see church and other religions as spirituality for dummies. And I say that in no malicious way, it's just the best way I can explain it. Just like some need those big blue and yellow dummie series books to understand a topic better.

9 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by oyem4u(m): 10:06am On Nov 21, 2021
Bayaar02:

That your Sokoto will tear Las Las...

Stop wishing people bad

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Afodot0022(m): 10:11am On Nov 21, 2021
Pedrokush:
Mountain of fire... unnecessary prayers...die by fire Everytime

Its well o

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 21, 2021
Olarsview:

Have you identified your purpose & gifts while going to church?

When you identify it, then the church uses you to acquire more members. More money in their pockets.
After I read that a certain church sack its pastors because the church wasn't growing, I lost hope. The end goal is to make money for the church.
Pastoring is supposed to be a part-time thing you do because of the love for Christ, not a career the way it is done now.
When they need money, they organize a program and invite other men of God, who will finally do the billing probably the congregation has become too used to the pastor's face.

13 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by OlawaleBammie: 10:15am On Nov 21, 2021
Angelfrost:

You can play any instrument if you are interested... The key word is "Interest".

There are top musicians even in the gospel world who taught themselves how to play instruments.

So, it's up to you... You don't lack gifts, you simply lack motivation.

Bro i understand u wella, motivation is the key but chance is d koko

I have never had the chance

While growing up i didnt leave with my parent so i dared not just say i want to go for a rehearsal, who will do the chores for me??

After i grew up to a certain stage i didn't have the chance again, i went to learn skill cus if i didnt i wont be able to go to school, the skill didn't give me tym at all, after i......

Seeee brother, na me understand what i passed tru jare, all cant be typed to ur understanding

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 21, 2021
Because i realised that church is a bulilding just like nightclub, bisness centre, discoteqe, restuarant, bar, ashawo house and hotel. tongue

5 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Juoflife1(f): 10:17am On Nov 21, 2021
I have greatly improved on my relationship with God since I stopped going to church. Church is a distraction.

5 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Kwinity(f): 10:18am On Nov 21, 2021
I stopped cos most of the churches i attended preached the opposite. And i also dnt want to live my life under the watch of a pastor or whoever. God is with everyone, we just need to build our personal understanding that will trigger our connection with him. Anywhere u call on him is an altar, a holy sanctuary(Abraham, Isaac n Jacob built many altars to talk to God). This is a personal decision..So WE ARE THE CHURCH AND NOT THAT BUILDING YOU SEE THERE.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Craggybogg: 10:18am On Nov 21, 2021
Going to a Nigerian church these days is like going to a party.
Where people gather to show off their new/best clothes(some people don't even know what ought not to be worn to a church),

Where some people dance carelessly(remember that woman in that viral video),

Extortion takes place in this same gathering where pastors would deceive members that the amount of money they drop would determine the amount of blessings they would have. (This particular woman(pastor) asking for 1000$ on the altar few years back),

Gossips and some church members hating on you because you did not love them above yourself even when the bible say love your neighbor "as" yourself. I dress/look good wouldn't mean I am as wealthy as Otedola. They will start hating on you because you did not show dem love after pastors have extorted their last cards through enticing words.

Don't let me even start with Sexual Immorality/Harassment from our so called "Holy Men of God"

God have mercy and he would also clear the rot that has grown so deep in our churches.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Angelfrost(m): 10:18am On Nov 21, 2021
OlawaleBammie:

Bro i understand u wella, motivation is the key but chance is d koko

I have never had the chance

While growing up i didnt leave with my parent so i dared not just say i want to go for a rehearsal, who will do the chores for me??

After i grew up to a certain stage i didn't have the chance again, i went to learn skill cus if i didnt i wont be able to go to school, the skill didn't give me tym at all, after i......

Seeee brother, na me understand what i passed tru jare, all cant be typed to ur understanding

But, I understand... Your complain is about lack of chance, time and opportunities.

However, it is not yet late, it is never late to start. There are so many things many of us never had the exposure or privilege to do while growing up due largely to our background... But, what about now?!! What about tomorrow?!!... When there is a will, there will always be a way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by Akinh: 10:19am On Nov 21, 2021
Because I didn't go to church now ,that means have backslide..imagine I still wonder how African do end up turning Bible upside down..well I stop going because the new pastor end up criticizing his collegue on their so called pulpit ...imagine Pastor In charge telling the pastor that took sermon for that Sunday that he's wrong ...simply Bcs he's preaching make everyone to have this faith in humanity again, and I notice he's this type that don like sharing his pulpit with the rest of the people...

9 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by nesgeeek(m): 10:19am On Nov 21, 2021
I didn't actually stop going to church, but I've not been to church for almost two months now just because of the attitude of those who go to church almost everyday to pray, dance and sing. I discover that majority of current church goers don't havewhat we call "the fear of God". If I continue associating myself with such people all in the name of going to church that means I'll definitely be like them , that is just the reason I choose to stay away from church for now until I change my environment and find a better church that suit my taste. currently I am in my house, I have prayed this morning and also praise God with some worship and praises songs. in conclusion, the fear of God is currently lacking from many church goers. and my association matters alot to me. I believe the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, that means any place the fear of God is lacking, wisdom will also be absent in such place. so I'll rather stay away from such place. God bless u.

12 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by shegzbillionz(m): 10:21am On Nov 21, 2021
Sorry for people who believe that Church offerings, tithes,contributions and harvests they dash pastors who are far richer than them will turn out as blessings for them , or those who deceive their self inside the church and knowing fully that they are wolves outside the church, or those who believe in arrangee fake miracle people do in the church and miracle ministries, when will Africa wake up and stop being carried away?... we are far far far behind,
For me Church in Nigeria is full time shit

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by isibor266: 10:22am On Nov 21, 2021
To protect my Faith. The deeper or closer you are to church administrators, the more your Faith in Christ dies because you become privy to lots of information that might make you never want to step your foot in there anymore.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by shegzbillionz(m): 10:22am On Nov 21, 2021
femi4:
I ve not....only spiritual illiterate stop going to church
sorry for you and your spiritual literacy....

5 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by jclassiq(m): 10:22am On Nov 21, 2021
I LOST MY FAITH.
I feel abandoned by Him.
Yeah, He abandoned me.
Probably because of all the atrocities i have committed in my life.
Now i just want to live today.
Whatever happens tomorrow, i will face it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by shegzbillionz(m): 10:24am On Nov 21, 2021
Tokskob2008:

Words like this are main reason I run away from Church.
lol I swear this set of people... them use bible swear for them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by otokx(m): 10:25am On Nov 21, 2021
ruggedtimi:
Within three weeks I attended three different upcoming churches around ada George ph. I noticed the pastors of those churches were trying to condemn established churches and making it look like God was only present in their church no where else. grin grin the thing weak me. I believe in God and Jesus Christ as the Son of God. But com'on this modern pastors na only God know the real once out there. In bigger churches most of the pastors brag about their wealth.

Did you attend The Carpenter's Church?
Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by OlawaleBammie: 10:27am On Nov 21, 2021
Angelfrost:

But, I understand... Your complain is about lack of chance, time and opportunities.

However, it is not yet late, it is never late to start. There are so many things many of us never had the exposure or privilege to do while growing up due largely to our background... But, what about now?!! What about tomorrow?!!... When there is a will, there will always be a way.

See brother, wen i was done with service i left for Lagos where i was leaving, but wen i realized that i could not do as my mate, poverty started befriending me, i had to leave my comfort zone to SS where i knew nobody, no family and friends.

Wen i got here i suffered verywell before i got an headway, tho i had to learn another trade and after the apprenticeship my oga made me his manager.

Now i am saddled with much work and responsibilities.

Bros, throughout this past week, i slept in my room just for one night, even its by chance...

No tym

No tym

No tym

Even my church member don leave me for my matter, a no dey dey house so where i wan see the chance??

As i am typing, i am still in my room doing the akant of customers that i have left long ago.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by shegzbillionz(m): 10:27am On Nov 21, 2021
musicwriter:
Because the older I grew, the more I realized that religion is the more you look the less you see.
600 years for you...lol in other words ‘shíshé shíshé’ lol
Re: Why Did You Stop Going To Church by otokx(m): 10:28am On Nov 21, 2021
In Nigeria even if you don't attend Church on Sunday, it will attend you. Churches are like kiosks now everywhere with their loudspeakers. Church is now offline and online especially in the non rural areas.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Why Deeper Life Turned Down Jonathan’s Request To Visit Church During Campaign / Traders Beat 'Demons' Out Of Their Unsold Car Spare Parts In Lagos (Video) / We Live in a 3D World. The Spirit World is 4D Plus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.