Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,583 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! (23156 Views)

Miracle: Man Survives Fall From 4,000-foot Sheer Cliff In Sri Lanka. (photos) / Across the sahara on foot to Europe via Libya ( Paperback ) ISBN # 9781478329206 / LEARN HOW TO MAKE #200.000 ON A STRIP FOR COCOA EXPORT BUZ WITH NO CAPITAL STAR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Solozzo(m): 1:04am On Jul 05, 2011
My humble suggestion is that all who supported this woman's actions should contribute towards her medical bills.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Nobody: 1:09am On Jul 05, 2011
Solozzo:

My humble suggestion is that all who supported this woman's actions should contribute towards her medical bills.

I wouldn't mind
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by LadyT(f): 1:19am On Jul 05, 2011
All you people crying bristish this and british that.  At least they leaders do something for their people.  While Nigerian leaders steal and lie through their teeth.

This woman is well off do you know the cost of a visa and plane tickets? I dont buy the story her husband left her.  Im sure he didnt process his visa overnight it was all carefully planned.  Its a rooster and bull story and people are getting over emotional because babies are involved.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by claremont(m): 1:21am On Jul 05, 2011
@Steve and Builder: wetin Claremont do una, abi I snatch una wife? I'm only expressing my opinion here, which I'm perfectly entitled to. If una like make una curse till thy kingdom come, it doesn't take away the fact that this lady is a fraud!
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by member479760: 1:46am On Jul 05, 2011
She is from Lagos, let Fashola pay!
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by informed(m): 3:49am On Jul 05, 2011
Reading this thread, I cant but imagine what poverty has done to some Nigerians livingin the UK!

@all living in the UK
If the tax system in the UK is killing you and making you lose your human face and become heartless, please come back home cos with Naija you can always find a way around taxes.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Kalman(m): 4:09am On Jul 05, 2011
akonsboy:

the amount of Ignorance on this forum is just phenomenal, of all things done to your "taxpayer money" the one that angers you people most is a fellow Nigerian milking the NHS kmt. maybe i need to point you to some 20,000 pounds of your taxpayer money being awarded to somalian refugees that have committed heinous crimes. not only can they not be expelled, they also will be sit back and start claiming all the benefits u can think of. thereby costing u the "taxpayer" hundreds of thousands of pounds. and u all sit down here display your ignorance. mind you this is just one in a million case outhere,  my point is the system is open to abuse and all nationality are abusing it these days indians,pakistani, eastern europeans the list goes on and there is nothing wrong with a nigerian abusing it.

And so in your infinite wisdom, you think that Nigerians should go and abuse someone else's system is effectively a right approach? I have always said it, there are too many drugs out there. My advice son is "stay off the drugs".
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by claremont(m): 4:12am On Jul 05, 2011
I agree, he is obviously high on something.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by vladimiros: 5:19am On Jul 05, 2011
any nigerian who supports this should be stoned

its because of idiotic women like this that Nigeria's image has been ruined to the ground
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Nobody: 5:54am On Jul 05, 2011
angry angry angry angry angry

Nigerians like her? undecided undecided undecided undecided

What about your leaders? drug pushers? human traffickers? yahoo yahoo?

What are you talking about? how did where women deliver their babies add to the bad reputation Nigeria has?

UN will scream out foul if Any nation in Africa was giving a woman who who just delivered this much hell over hospital bills

Like someone said, if the UK void you of soul so much, go back home!!!

I'll probably throw away my British passport soon!!!
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by whobemumu(m): 6:01am On Jul 05, 2011
guy no dull ur self , how u go talk of throway british kpali ?

if u no need am keepam ,,,,, u may one day
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by tpia5: 6:02am On Jul 05, 2011
they should all sort themselves out.

ati woman o, ati british govt o.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Nobody: 6:10am On Jul 05, 2011
whobemumu:

guy no dull your self ,  how u go talk of throway  british kpali ?

if u no need am keepam ,,,,, u may one day
I have to so I can keep Nigerian/American passport!

Though I'm Brit by birth, I registered Nigerian by birth in my citizenship application in the US. And I can't keep a nation not my country of birth if I'm to keep American citizenship!!

It ran it's course already; taking me from border to border with little or no hassle!!

If I'm denied US citizenship, then I'll keep it if not, I prefer Nigerian/American.

My only problem is birth certificate! If not this kpali 4 don waka since!!
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by whobemumu(m): 6:21am On Jul 05, 2011
ok i can understand that cos ame no de recognise u as citizen of anywhere else once them done give u their own

but no let go until u need to

all the best bro
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by tpia5: 7:00am On Jul 05, 2011
Why not hold on to all three just for variety's sake.

Could be confusing however.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 05, 2011
tpia@:

Why not hold on to all three just for variety's sake.

Could be confusing however.

If I can I probably will but if faced with the option to give it up, I will as well,

I will have to research if US can allow tri citizenship!!
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by sayso: 9:49am On Jul 05, 2011
Can we talk about the poor and leave this greedy women to their fate.you wan go UK,the pay your bills shekina.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by LadyT(f): 10:01am On Jul 05, 2011
I keep telling you this woman is rich! Love her Gucci sun glasses by the way.

Nigerian mother who cost NHS £200,000 is working illegally as an Avon LadyBimbo Ayelabola came into the UK on visitor's visa after discovering she was pregnant
She spent two weeks in hospital at taxpayers' expense after having quintuplets

By Nick Mcdermott

Last updated at 8:13 AM on 5th July 2011

Comments (267) Add to My Stories Share
The Nigerian who cost the NHS up to £200,000 after travelling to Britain while expecting quintuplets has been illegally working as an Avon lady.
Bimbo Ayelabola, 33, applied for a six-month visitor's visa soon after discovering she was pregnant, travelling to the UK without her husband to visit her three sisters.
She gave birth to two boys and three girls in April after a complex Caesarean section and remained in hospital for almost two weeks, paid for by the taxpayer.
Cash in hand: Bimbo Ayelabola, who came to Britain from Nigeria when pregnant with quintuplets, is working illegally as an Avon Lady
Within days of returning to her sister's flat in Poplar, East London, she began distributing catalogues and selling Avon’s make-up, perfume and beauty products.

More, Ministers target migrant abuse of 'right to family life' used to stay here
RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Happy families? No, another miscarriage of justice

But under the terms of her visa, which expired last month, she is unable to work in the UK or claim benefits.
She is now fighting to remain in the country. Yesterday a neighbour said: 'She has dropped at least two Avon booklets through the door in the past couple of months. I'm sure she has visited other homes in surrounding streets.
Helping hand: A friend of the Nigerian mother carries one of her babies to a waiting car
‘She’s definitely working for Avon because I bought something from her last month. She never let on that she was not allowed to work in this country.’
A Home Office spokesman said last night: ‘The UK Border Agency will thoroughly investigate any reports of anyone breaking the terms of their visa.’

Mrs Ayelabola is registered as a full-time mother on her children’s birth certificates.
She says she was unaware she would have as many as five babies when she arrived in Britain late last year.
The multiple births are likely to be a result of double doses of fertility drug Clomid, which she took for eight times longer than recommended after buying the pills over the counter in her home city of Lagos.

The total bill to the taxpayer for Mrs Ayelabola’s care is expected to reach £200,000.
Foreign nationals should be charged for the full cost of their treatment, but Mrs Ayelabola is not able to pay. The five babies, who were born prematurely at 32 weeks, were treated in a special-care unit, where the cost of a week’s stay for the family would be £35,000 alone.
The case has once again raised the issue of ‘health tourism’, in which foreigners come to take advantage of Britain’s state-funded health system. It is estimated to cost the NHS £200million a year.
Treated: Bimbo Ayelabola, who had quintuplets in Britain, was treated at Homerton Hospital in Hackney, east London
Mrs Ayelabola was treated at Homerton hospital in Hackney, east London.
Andrew Boff, Hackney resident and Conservative member of the Greater London Authority, said: ‘You can’t refuse to give someone treatment once they’re in the country, as we’re talking about human life.
‘But what this case does point out is that this country does not have a good immigration policy.

'It does need to be stricter in its application. Our health system should be for those who live in the UK.

'It can’t be open to anybody who comes in speculatively. That’s because UK people fund it.
‘It should be a requirement for anyone coming in that they have an adequate travel insurance policy, to prevent such occurrences in future.’
Mrs Ayelabola has applied for an extension to her visa as she claims the children – two boys, Tayseel and Samir, and three girls, Aqeelah, Binish and Zara – are still too frail to travel.
She said in an interview: ‘I had already had miscarriages and couldn’t bear the stress another pregnancy would cause. I thought I would stand a much better chance of avoiding another miscarriage in a calmer place with friends and family.’
Her 37-year-old husband, Ohi Ilanbare, a civil engineer, remains in Nigeria.
The children do not have an automatic right to British citizenship, despite being born in the UK.

To qualify, they would need at least one parent who is British, or who has indefinite leave to remain in the country.
An Avon spokesman last night said the firm would investigate how Mrs Ayelabola became a saleswoman for the brand. Mrs Ayelabola was unavailable to comment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011249/Nigerian-mother-cost-NHS-200k-working-illegally-Avon-Lady.html#ixzz1RDgdEKfh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011249/Nigerian-mother-cost-NHS-200k-working-illegally-Avon-Lady.html
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by UKmugs: 10:49am On Jul 05, 2011
I think your government should do something about Nigerians in the UK. In one day we have two news items, front page of The Sun online, one conman and a health tourist. Why is it any time one reads about Nigerians it all about crime or fleecing an individual or the host countries' tax payer?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 05, 2011
UKmugs:

I think your government should do something about Nigerians in the UK.  In one day we have two news items, front page of The Sun online, one conman and a health tourist.   Why is it any time one reads about Nigerians it all about crime or fleecing an individual or the host countries' tax payer?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/

Without condoning what the lady did, why are you so blind to the fraudulent actions of your British MP's? I'm a British taxpayer, and my taxes also fund the lavish lifestyles of crooked MP's, with the doctored expense sheets. Some claiming upkeep expenses for homes they don't live in, and mortgage repayments on homes that mortgages had already been paid off for years!

http://emsnews./2009/05/22/calls-to-arrest-crooked-british-mps/
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by coogar: 11:06am On Jul 05, 2011
0lumide:

I have to so I can keep Nigerian/American passport!

Though I'm Brit by birth, I registered Nigerian by birth in my citizenship application in the US. And I can't keep a nation not my country of birth if I'm to keep American citizenship!!

It ran it's course already; taking me from border to border with little or no hassle!!

If I'm denied US citizenship, then I'll keep it if not, I prefer Nigerian/American.

My only problem is birth certificate! If not this kpali 4 don waka since!!

you cannot have a british passport and an american passport. . . .you will be asked to choose one and drop the other. no single individual has both.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by VolvoS60(m): 11:09am On Jul 05, 2011
Emotions are running very high on this thread.  sad

Someone (a poster) mentioned the case of kuwaiti nationals in a similar situation. The big difference is that the Kuwaiti government stepped in and paid up. I think if we conduct a poll on this board (on whether the Nigerian government will stand up to deliver in the same way), we all know what the results are likely to be.

Whether we like it or not, UK taxpayers have a right to voice their concerns about how their taxes are spent. Their political system is far from perfect, but there is a measure of accountability which is absent in Nigeria. British nationals pay their taxes and expect to have a say in how those taxes are spent. And if they are not comfortable with the idea of their taxes being used to pay medical expenses of ''foreigners", those are their rights as British nationals. Those rights cannot be taken away from them sir.

And yes, some of us are (justifiably) very angry about british imperialism and how europe underdeveloped Africa but that cannot excuse the moral schizophrenia some of us here on this board are exhibiting. What is wrong is wrong. Some posters have tried to justify illegality by recounting the atrocities the british committed in Africa centuries ago but that mindset is flawed, deeply flawed. The battle to get back our stolen artefacts and treasures is a separate matter that can and should be fought on a different platform. Not by individual attempts to beat the system. Because in the end, cases like this lady's simply lead to much tougher immigration rules that make it harder for everyone else.  

Having said that, the biggest question we should ask (as another poster did earlier) is why infant and maternal mortality rates are so high in Nigeria? Why?

Simple. They are high because we are ignorant cowards, all 150 million+ of us.  angry  angry

We have (or sat back and watched while a few of us, our kith and kin who live and walk among us) created a hell on earth and forced us all to live in it. There is no reason why Nigeria should be what it is. None whatsoever. But we are spineless and gutless, preferring to flee or murmur instead of fighting for what's right.

The Sahara desert is littered with the passports, bones and skulls of young and not so young Nigerians who preferred to take that risky journey rather than stay in Nigeria. We will never get it right until we as a people demand that someone explain why this and other forms of suicidal behaviour are the norm among so many Nigerians. Why should a country's brightest and most promising young people lose hope in the system to the point where they are ready to go anywhere but Nigeria?

Why?
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by beeke(m): 11:17am On Jul 05, 2011
claremont:

@Steve and Builder: wetin Claremont do una, abi I snatch una wife? I'm only expressing my opinion here, which I'm perfectly entitled to. If una like make una curse till thy kingdom come, it doesn't take away the fact that this lady is a fraud!
You are the greatest of all fraud, you are a disgrace to Nigerians in diaspora, a disgrace to human race, a disappointment to your generation and d one unborn, you are a frustrated monster, your heart breed wickedness, you have sold your soul to Lucifer, you are a regret to d womb that gave birth to you, if only i can see you face to face believe me i will kick your teeth down your throat. Tufia, you disgust me  angry angry angry angry sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 05, 2011
beeke:

You are the greatest of all fraud, you are a disgrace to Nigerians in diaspora, a disgrace to human race, a disappointment to your generation and d one unborn, you are a frustrated monster, your heart breed wickedness, you have sold your soul to Lucifer, you are a regret to d womb that gave birth to you, if only i can see you face to face believe me i will kick your teeth down your throat. Tufia, you disgust me  angry angry angry angry sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad  

Chei!  shocked Brother Beeke, no need to insult Claremont. I don't agree with him, nor his motives for starting this thread, but I get my points across without resorting to threats and verbal abuse.

I can understand your anger though.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by LadyT(f): 11:50am On Jul 05, 2011
beeke:

You need help there is no need whatsoever for the disgusting attack you just made.  Log off and go a calm down please.

No country is perfect but lets call a spade a spade.  Can we stick to the facts. Shes not a widow and shes NOT poor shes a well off Nigerian.
The lady knew exactly what she was doing.  If she was really only concerned about delivering safely why now are we hearing oh all my family and friends are over here blah blah blah. She is a fraud simple. If she stays how is Gods name will she be able to work with 5 babies? So the state will have to support her. People have a right to be upset about that.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by LadyT(f): 11:54am On Jul 05, 2011
VolvoS60:

Emotions are running very high on this thread. sad

Someone (a poster) mentioned the case of kuwaiti nationals in a similar situation. The big difference is that the Kuwaiti government stepped in and paid up. I think if we conduct a poll on this board (on whether the Nigerian government will stand up to deliver in the same way), we all know what the results are likely to be.

Whether we like it or not, UK taxpayers have a right to voice their concerns about how their taxes are spent. Their political system is far from perfect, but there is a measure of accountability which is absent in Nigeria. British nationals pay their taxes and expect to have a say in how those taxes are spent. And if they are not comfortable with the idea of their taxes being used to pay medical expenses of ''foreigners", those are their rights as British nationals. Those rights cannot be taken away from them sir.

And yes, some of us are (justifiably) very angry about british imperialism and how europe underdeveloped Africa but that cannot excuse the moral schizophrenia some of us here on this board are exhibiting. What is wrong is wrong. Some posters have tried to justify illegality by recounting the atrocities the british committed in Africa centuries ago but that mindset is flawed, deeply flawed. The battle to get back our stolen artefacts and treasures is a separate matter that can and should be fought on a different platform. Not by individual attempts to beat the system. Because in the end, cases like this lady's simply lead to much tougher immigration rules that make it harder for everyone else.

Having said that, the biggest question we should ask (as another poster did earlier) is why infant and maternal mortality rates are so high in Nigeria? Why?

Simple. They are high because we are ignorant cowards, all 150 million+ of us. angry angry

We have (or sat back and watched while a few of us, our kith and kin who live and walk among us) created a hell on earth and forced us all to live in it. There is no reason why Nigeria should be what it is. None whatsoever. But we are spineless and gutless, preferring to flee or murmur instead of fighting for what's right.

The Sahara desert is littered with the passports, bones and skulls of young and not so young Nigerians who preferred to take that risky journey rather than stay in Nigeria. We will never get it right until we as a people demand that someone explain why this and other forms of suicidal behaviour are the norm among so many Nigerians. Why should a country's brightest and most promising young people lose hope in the system to the point where they are ready to go anywhere but Nigeria?

Why?

Thank you
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by VolvoS60(m): 11:56am On Jul 05, 2011
Do some posters have unresolved issues with one another? The insults are getting out of hand.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by VolvoS60(m): 12:05pm On Jul 05, 2011
@ lady t,

you r welcome. Just my take on this matter.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by gohome: 12:08pm On Jul 05, 2011
VolvoS60:

Thats not completely true

VolvoS60:

Like I said. I am a UK taxpayer, I have a right to voice my concern about how my taxes are being spent.

read my earlier comment

[b] Its a pity you have been reduced to this. you are definitely not human. What is your own problem with this woman that is not even a criminal. You complain about taxpayers money, rubbish. do you know how much of my tax is used to foot the bill in Libya. Do you know how much of my tax is used to foot the bill of lazy white citizens? have you asked yourself how much the royal wedding cost? sometimes in life we are faced with choices in which we choose the lesser of two evil, on humanitarian ground, which is also very legal this babies should be given citizenship (God bless America). We are talking about babies here,  traumatizing the woman by slamming her with this kind of bill can affect the woman which will also affect the babies. Its possible this woman dint plan this. She probably took those fertility drugs just to be able to conceive and not to give birth to 5kids Shes got relatives in Britain, i am sure they wont be in support of her action. who will feed this children. Even a senior manager with 60000 pound per annum and a 50% tax( not to talk of council tax and accommodation) here in the UK cant afford to feed the woman, not to talk of 5 kids. These kids could be Ashley Cole tomorrow

Stop be selfish about image this image that,  the media is twisting your brains. When it comes to mending immigration laws, Nigerians would definitely not be in the top ten least. you stay in the Uk you should know better.
[/b]

So instead of wasting tax payers money killing kids in Iraq Afghanistan and Libya. do the exact opposite ''waste'' it with those five kids.

VolvoS60:

Judge,  why do you base your assertions over THESUN investigation. Have you heard this woman's story. Do you think this woman wanted to give birth to five kids. go and ask your mother what it felt like when she gave birth to you. And stop saying illegality. It is not. at least not yet. She is Human. Those kids are too. She can file by using humanitarian grounds,  if she wins, its not illegal. its still the law. Illegality, moral and ethics are different things. Illegality is logic, moral and ethics are relative. I wouldn't call illegal the flamboyant lifestyles of our MPs and Royal family illegal,  buh damn i will call it unethical.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by UKmugs: 12:10pm On Jul 05, 2011
Siena:

Chei!  shocked Brother Beeke, no need to insult Claremont. I don't agree with him, not his motives for starting this thread, but I get my points across without resorting to threats and verbal abuse.

I can understand your anger though.

'disgrace to Nigerians in diaspora'

Don't you feel embarrassed to mentioned you are Nigerian?  I certainlty would. May be you should say you from Mauitania. Few people knows this country and its people
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 05, 2011
UKmugs:

'disgrace to Nigerians in diaspora'

Don't you feel embarrassed to mentioned you are Nigerian?  I certainlty would. May be you should say you from Mauitania. Few people knows this country and its people

Nope. I don't feel embarrassed to say I'm Nigerian. Only a b[i]a[/i]sta[i]r[/i]d would deny his / her race.

Do you feel ashamed to identify with being British, due to the actions of your crooked, fraudulent MP's? Or at least ashamed of your atrocious use of English, terrible spellings and misuse of tenses? Because I would be ashamed, to be so poor in the use of my own language.

You're better off admitting you're from Poland, at least English isn't their first language.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by coogar: 12:19pm On Jul 05, 2011
LadyT:

You need help there is no need whatsoever for the disgusting attack you just made.  Log off and go a calm down please.

No country is perfect but lets call a spade a spade.  Can we stick to the facts.  Shes not a widow and shes NOT poor shes a well off Nigerian.
The lady knew exactly what she was doing.  If she was really only concerned about delivering safely why now are we hearing oh all my family and friends are over here blah blah blah. She is a fraud simple.  If she stays how is Gods name will she be able to work with 5 babies? So the state will have to support her. People have a right to be upset about that.

how did she know what she was doing? if it's that simple, get your partner to knock you up and deliver quintuplets. . . . the woman might have flown to england to deliver a child. there's no way she would have known she would be delivering 5 babies at a time. she's not her own creator and she is not a fraud. if the state can support a senseless war in libya and afghanistan, let them support that woman and her 5 babies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Ibom Air Begins Commercial Flight To Bayelsa Airport.. Photos / Ongoing Awka Millennium City Full Coverage (video & Photos) / Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.