Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,018 members, 7,810,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! (23147 Views)

Miracle: Man Survives Fall From 4,000-foot Sheer Cliff In Sri Lanka. (photos) / Across the sahara on foot to Europe via Libya ( Paperback ) ISBN # 9781478329206 / LEARN HOW TO MAKE #200.000 ON A STRIP FOR COCOA EXPORT BUZ WITH NO CAPITAL STAR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Kunbee: 10:35pm On Jul 05, 2011
Nigerian government should pay
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by LadyT(f): 11:33pm On Jul 05, 2011
^^^God bless jare. grin
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by claremont(m): 11:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
I tire for some Nairalanders oh, why can't some people engage in logical debates without engaging in verbal insults. Na wa for some people oh angry
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by ada24: 12:08am On Jul 06, 2011
so this issue still dey rage - i think what we need to REALLY discuss is why this women left an oil producing nation to go to the UK to have her babies.

all this she is a fraud, we should have sympathy does not change the price of bread - the bigger issue is the healthcare system in Nigeria - it is very worrying. Its also worrying that this woman took an overdose of fertility drugs, i'm not surprised thou.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by seyibrown(f): 2:28am On Jul 06, 2011
If 200,000 Nigerians contribute £1 each, this bill will be paid. Unforunately, she has managed to drag our already soiled name in more mud by behaving dishonorably.

One way of preventing this kind of situations is to make available 'pregnancy test stations' at all international ports of entry. This can be set up in a matter of days and it will cost host countries less in the long run. Unfortunately, those who do not intend to abuse the system of the country they are visiting will suffer!

. . . and for those who do not know, BRITAIN IS VERY BROKE.  grin  grin
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by tpia5: 2:30am On Jul 06, 2011
and for those who do not know, BRITAIN IS VERY BROKE

many are unaware.

and it's not britain alone.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by VolvoS60(m): 3:33am On Jul 06, 2011
# 189 Posted by Gohome:

“I repeat, it is not illegal for a health tourist to use the NHS system. illegality will arise when she doesn't pay. and she can opt out based on humanitarian grounds. (similar to what asylum seekers do).”

@Gohome:
Your post above is the crux of the matter. Mrs Bimbo Ayelabola, from what we can see, simply CANNOT pay. This is the “illegality” that is riling some UK taxpayers (and it is not the only thing, I must add. I won’t even go into the matter of her purported application for an extension of stay – this is another sore point guaranteed to further inflame the situation).

#189 Posted by Gohome:

“Remove criminality from your mind. Assume she is a US citizen and ask yourself. What will she gain by doing what she did? if her intentions were exactly what you read in your so called public domain which as far as i am concerned is the media was to find a way through the system, if she had plans from the onset to conceive 5 babies and let the bills run in such away that she wont be able to pay (I doubt that) then the US should have been her destination, or canada where child birth is free.”

@Gohome:

I assure you sir, criminality is far from my mind.  You made me a judge, remember? grin

Sir, as for your point about the US or Canada (rather than the UK) being a more suitable destination for Mrs Bimbo if indeed she wanted to take advantage of the system - I must say your point is neither here nor there. We simply cannot speculate on that. We have no clue what Mrs Ayelabola’s immigration status is with either of these 2 countries, and cannot make any strong assumptions about this from a distance. We do not know if she had applied for a visa to these countries and her application was accepted or turned down. We simply do not know.

And sir, your point about me assuming Mrs Bimbo were a US citizen and what she stood to gain is not clear to me. Maybe you could explain further?

#189 Posted by Gohome:

“I understand your fears. She will deny others coming legally, blah blah, she will tarnish our image, yada yada yada, but that is selfish. can cameron cough out 200k, i doubt, will the children be left to suffer and probably die because of your selfishness, no way”

@Gohome:

You can’t dismiss the fears and concerns of others on the consequences of Mrs Bimbo’s actions. These concerns are legitimate. Too many responses on this thread have been very emotional e.g. your point above about the children being left to suffer and die because of my “selfishness”.

My selfishness or altruism is not the issue sir. I would like to believe that it is the wish of us all that Mrs Bimbo’s kids will live long, healthy and happy lives. But her actions up to this point will have consequences, (some of them grave) for us all. This is something you must admit.

And the 50 million Naira question I asked earlier still stands: Why, oh why has Nigeria turned into a 4th world country and why isn’t someone being tied to a barrel and shot for this?
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Burrito(f): 4:56am On Jul 06, 2011
Did she really buy Clomid over the counter? shocked  shocked That's one of the ways our system failed this woman. She has blame yeah, but she shouldn't take it alone. Jonathan should drop £180,000 from our oil money and her family should find the remaining £20,000, to maintain their dignity. Or,  the NHS can just let this one go and learn their lesson.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by TeeJay6(m): 7:53am On Jul 06, 2011
Kunbee:

Nigerian government should pay
I agree 200,000%; but then knowing our people, naija women would just see this as a chance to fly to UK to give birth and expect the nigerian govt to pick up the tab
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by juzme: 10:18am On Jul 06, 2011
Hmm! I wonder why Nigerian govt has to pay the bill. What will be the reason? She was unable to have her babies in Nigeria and then refer to Medical attention abroad? Except we are talking about under humanitarian ground then she and her babies need assistance and it does matter who comes to their aids.
Some people mention she wanted the best for her kids. There is no doubt about that but we can’t say because we want the best for our kids and then rob a bank to give the best to our kids. We should know what we can afford. So there is no justification for this.
And for those who are saying bad about the British in this. I think the British deserves praises. First the woman and her babies were taking care of for about 2 months without any deposit. Secondly as I could read from the story she is yet to receive bills of the service.
And I think some of us if not many of us started hearing about this story after making application of her visa extension to HO. I think that was when the Media have to come in.
As I will continue to say if she can’t pay her bill there is nothing British govt can do about that. She isn’t the first. But she should not waste her money with any lawyer trying to fight her stay in UK.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by gohome: 11:32am On Jul 06, 2011
VolvoS60:

[b]# 189 Posted by Gohome:

@Gohome:

I assure you sir, criminality is far from my mind.  You made me a judge, remember? grin

Sir, as for your point about the US or Canada (rather than the UK) being a more suitable destination for Mrs Bimbo if indeed she wanted to take advantage of the system - I must say your point is neither here nor there. We simply cannot speculate on that. We have no clue what Mrs Ayelabola’s immigration status is with either of these 2 countries, and cannot make any strong assumptions about this from a distance. We do not know if she had applied for a visa to these countries and her application was accepted or turned down. We simply do not know.

And sir, your point about me assuming Mrs Bimbo were a US citizen and what she stood to gain is not clear to me. Maybe you could explain further?

#189 Posted by Gohome:

Nice point bro especially on the US and Canada options. But you have to understand some things.

At this point with the information we have and where the information is coming from, This woman you accused of orchestrating this can be
    i completely innocent
    ii Partially innocent
    iii completely fraudulent

[b]Completely innocent (proof)

It is common knowledge for women to take fertility drugs in Nigeria. They do this to aid conception and not to boost it. She obviously did not plan to give birth to five kids. she planned to give birth to one. The media is making you think otherwise. let me quote the dailymail, Bimbo Ayelabola, 33, applied for a six-month visitor's visa[b] soon[/b] after discovering she was pregnant, travelling to the UK without her husband to visit her three sisters.

would she have known she had five kids in her soon after she discovered she was pregnant, obviously not. which means, she probably thought of just having a baby or two just like any other person and pay the bills just like any other person. But the unexpected happened. The babies were 5 and they were premature. they had to go into a complex Cesarean op and the babies were treated in a special-care unit, where the cost of a week’s stay for the family would be £35,000 alone. Normal procedures do not warrant special care unit. With 3 sisters in the UK and a civil engineer as a husband she knew those kids aren't going to get citizenship. at least before she applied for the visa. This clearly rule out any false motive of obtaining a visa. so what then was her '' manipulative motive'' I see none. In Stories like this  each case should be reviewed on an individual basis, without the knee-jerk reactionism and mis-placed jingoism that sadly seems to always accompany these things.

If you are still in doubt of the possibility of this ladies innocence I will recommend you to read the innocent man. Its a true life story written by Gris ham. Also look at the case for the formal IMF chief (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/nyregion/still-a-case-for-trying-strauss-kahn.html and see how a case can transcend from Complete guilt to partial guilt or complete innocence

I hope the above will help you understand why i said you should assume she is a US citizen which in most case is innocent until proven guilty and not Nigerian which in your case is guilty as charge by the media

As for partially innocent and completely fraudulent, you should fill the lines better judge.

Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by atasteve: 12:07pm On Jul 06, 2011
It still beat my imagination why people believe that you have to be out of 9aija to make something good out of your situation.

This I-must-give-birth-abroad mentality causes a lot of pain most of the time.

God will make a way for you, your husband and the children.

WHAT DOES NOT COME FIRST FROM ABOVE (GOD) CANNOT COME FROM ABROAD
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by TeeJay6(m): 12:10pm On Jul 06, 2011
atasteve:

It still beat my imagination why people believe that you have to be out of 9aija to make something good out of your situation.

This I-must-give-birth-abroad mentality causes a lot of pain most of the time.WHAT DOES NOT COME FIRST FROM ABOVE (GOD) CANNOT COME FROM ABROAD
Na complex jare; i've even seen people who are top shots in banks and oil industry fly the wife abroad to deliver their baby.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by AjanleKoko: 12:17pm On Jul 06, 2011
These UK people sef. Why can't the government just foot the bill in this unusual case?
All over the US, hospitals offer all sorts of government assistance to people without insurance. And that is supposed to be a capitalist country.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by TeeJay6(m): 12:20pm On Jul 06, 2011
AjanleKoko:

These UK people sef. Why can't the government just foot the bill in this unusual case?
All over the US, hospitals offer all sorts of government assistance to people without insurance. And that is supposed to be a capitalist country.
UK govt is broke,
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by busybody20: 1:11pm On Jul 06, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Even If the govt foots the bill. Will Bimbo return to Nigeria? NO

undecided 'Bimbo is also arguing that there is no "support network" of family and friends left in Nigeria to help her bring up her kids because they are all in the UK already'.  :-
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by TeeJay6(m): 1:15pm On Jul 06, 2011
busybody20:

Even If the govt foots the bill. Will Bimbo return to Nigeria? NO

undecided 'Bimbo is also arguing that there is no "support network" of family and friends left in Nigeria to help her bring up her kids because they are all in the UK already'. :-

And how is that the UK govt's business? So because my extended family no longer resides in nigeria i must automatically be granted a british visa/stay? What a limp excuse
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by liquid7: 1:43pm On Jul 06, 2011
I blame the british government in this.
If you read the daily mail she already signed a five figure deal with a newspaper for her story.The government should collect that to pay for the bill to start with.
Also we are not told when they discovered she was pregnant .They should have kept her on a plane asap back to Nigeria and let them deal with it .
Heavy hand is needed in such public cases to prove a point.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by JJM(f): 2:21pm On Jul 06, 2011
I don't understand why we Nigerians are very good at justifying the unjustifiable.Tapping into emotions and God to justify wrongdoing. Yoruba says "owun ti o da o da". This is the same way some crazy people were supporting Pastor Odulele when he was accused and convicted of child abuse(blaming the devil, his uncle and the dog).

I am a mother of 2 boys and understand the desire for a woman to want to give birth to her child safely but in Bimbo's case this is wrong!!!!!.
I am happy for her that her children were born safely but it does not discount the fact that she is a fraud and has planned everything nicely. Her justification will be that she wanted to give birth safely-all good and I for one will not begrudge her that. All that cock and bull story about not having family in Nigeria, no roof over her head blah,blah,blah is rubbish and we all know it.

My major problem with this is the stigma it has attached to our already tarnished image and the impact it may have on Nigerians making visa applications and trying to come to the UK in the future.

If she is sure that her motive was purely safe delivery, let her arrange how she can pay back the money in installments and as soon as the babies are well, she should pay for her and her children's ticket and return to Nigeria.All respect to her if she does that. If she doesn't and tries to prolong her stay and keep milking it then British govt will be fully justified in introducing measures that will no doubt affect future visa applicants, sad sad sad
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by WhyAWhy(m): 3:47pm On Jul 06, 2011
JJM:

I don't understand why we Nigerians are very good at justifying the unjustifiable.Tapping into emotions and God to justify wrongdoing. Yoruba says "owun ti o da o da". This is the same way some crazy people were supporting Pastor Odulele when he was accused and convicted of child abuse(blaming the devil, his uncle and the dog).

I am a mother of 2 boys and understand the desire for a woman to want to give birth to her child safely but in Bimbo's case this is wrong!!!!!.
I am happy for her that her children were born safely but it does not discount the fact that she is a fraud and has planned everything nicely. Her justification will be that she wanted to give birth safely-all good and I for one will not begrudge her that[b]. All that rooster and bull story about not having family in Nigeria, no roof over her head blah,blah,blah is rubbish and we all know it. [/b]

My major problem with this is the stigma it has attached to our already tarnished image and the impact it may have on Nigerians making visa applications and trying to come to the UK in the future.

If she is sure that her motive was purely safe delivery, let her arrange how she can pay back the money in installments and as soon as the babies are well, she should pay for her and her children's ticket and return to Nigeria.All respect to her if she does that. If she doesn't and tries to prolong her stay and keep milking it then British govt will be fully justified in introducing measures that will no doubt affect future visa applicants, sad sad sad

^^ Your head is CORRECT!!!, if only people could read in-between lines
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by coogar: 3:56pm On Jul 06, 2011
gohome:

Nice point bro especially on the US and Canada options. But you have to understand some things.

At this point with the information we have and where the information is coming from, This woman you accused of orchestrating this can be
    i completely innocent
    ii Partially innocent
    iii completely fraudulent

Completely innocent (proof)

It is common knowledge for women to take fertility drugs in Nigeria. They do this to aid conception and not to boost it. She obviously did not plan to give birth to five kids. she planned to give birth to one. The media is making you think otherwise. let me quote the dailymail, Bimbo Ayelabola, 33, applied for a six-month visitor's visa[b] soon[/b] after discovering she was pregnant, travelling to the UK without her husband to visit her three sisters.

would she have known she had five kids in her soon after she discovered she was pregnant, obviously not. which means, she probably thought of just having a baby or two just like any other person and pay the bills just like any other person. But the unexpected happened. The babies were 5 and they were premature. they had to go into a complex Cesarean op and the babies were treated in a special-care unit, where the cost of a week’s stay for the family would be £35,000 alone. Normal procedures do not warrant special care unit. With 3 sisters in the UK and a civil engineer as a husband she knew those kids aren't going to get citizenship. at least before she applied for the visa. This clearly rule out any false motive of obtaining a visa. so what then was her '' manipulative motive'' I see none. In Stories like this  each case should be reviewed on an individual basis, without the knee-jerk reactionism and mis-placed jingoism that sadly seems to always accompany these things.

If you are still in doubt of the possibility of this ladies innocence I will recommend you to read the innocent man. Its a true life story written by Gris ham. Also look at the case for the formal IMF chief (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/nyregion/still-a-case-for-trying-strauss-kahn.html and see how a case can transcend from Complete guilt to partial guilt or complete innocence

I hope the above will help you understand why i said you should assume she is a US citizen which in most case is innocent until proven guilty and not Nigerian which in your case is guilty as charge by the media

As for partially innocent and completely fraudulent, you should fill the lines better judge.

well said and articulately laid out. . . .

only a complete lunatic will still believe this woman came to the united kingdom to scrounge the system. . . .
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by N101: 4:54pm On Jul 06, 2011
coogar:

only a complete lunatic will still believe this woman came to the united kingdom to scrounge the system. . . .

Please explain to me what efforts she has made so far to pay for medical treatment in the UK, when she came on a Visitor's Visa and as such is not entitled to public funds?
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by seyibrown(f): 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2011
coogar:

[b] Are you Bimbo'[/i]s husband or the father of these quins?

Why do you REFUSE to see that she has BREACHED THE CONDITIONS (No recourse to public funds) OF THE VISA SHE WAS ISSUED?

Did she pay for her first scan in the UK (You claim she had no intention of scrounging)? Why did she not go home before the pregnancy advanced to the stage where she wouldn't be allowed on a flight? She continues her deception by claimimg she has no one to help look after the children in Nigeria when everyone including you knows that it is cheaper to get Nannies (if indeed familly/Neighbours/ friends won't help) in Nigeria than in the UK.

Sorry, [i]Baba Quins
, people like you have NO IDEA the DISCRIMINATION THAT HONEST NIGERIANS + OTHER AFRICANS FACE in the western world because of actions of people like Bimbo (and yourself) and have never experienced the contempt with which some people will treat you (and everything associated wth you) just for being Nigerian or Black African as a result of what they have experienced in the hands of (or heard about) unscrupulous Nigerians + Africans.

. . .  when will Nigeria progress with people like you who refuse to condemn what is wrong but instead promote wrong-doing?  angry If the UK was built by people like you, there would be no NHS! You do not belong in a society of right-thinkers, Bro! You belong in a society that will never progress because of people like you WHOSE GENES ARE FORMATTED TO ALWAYS FLOUT RULES & REGULATIONS!

When all female visitor visa holders start being subjected to mandatory pregnancy tests at international ports of entry - at an additional cost, many who still think Bimbo hasn't done wrong will understand! angry

. . . . . and you dare come on here and call those who do not agree with your warped mind 'complete lunatics'? angry Na dog go chop that ya one hand wey you dey take type rubbish for here! grin grin grin[/b]
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by coogar: 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2011
N101:

Please explain to me what efforts she has made so far to pay for medical treatment in the UK, when she came on a Visitor's Visa and as such is not entitled to public funds?

and how many people can pay £200k for medical treatment in the uk? it's the equivalent of 50 million naira in your country. coming from a citizen of a country who spends an average of £1 a day, this is ironic. grin

seyibrown:

Are you Bimbo'[/i]s husband or the father of these quins?

yes, i am. . . . .are you a queen counsel?

Why do you REFUSE to see that she has BREACHED THE CONDITIONS (No recourse to public funds) OF THE VISA SHE WAS ISSUED?k

she did not apply for the public funds? her fortunate/unfortunate situation was not directly her fault. meanwhile,there's an exception to every rule. this woman is not asking the british govenment to pay £200k into her own account.  all she wanted was the survival of her babies.

Did she pay for her first scan in the UK (You claim she had no intention of scrounging)? Why did she not go home before the pregnancy advanced to the stage where she wouldn't be allowed on a flight? She continues her deception by claimimg she has no one to help look after the children in Nigeria when everyone including you knows that it is cheaper to get Nannies (if indeed familly/Neighbours/ friends won't help) in Nigeria than in the UK.

if you pay enough attention to the details rather than ranting in the darkrness, you would get hold of the story. her intention was to come here and have her child. no one is disputing that with you. unfortunately, her expectation of having one child was thwarted and she had five. five children that were premature and needed intensive care. . . . .if this woman had delivered one baby and billed £2000, she would have paid and none of us would hear or know about her. . . . .but as it is, it's not reasonable to ask a nigerian to pay £200,000 for medical bills. . .it's simply insane.

she did not go home before the pregnancy advanced because her intention was having the baby in a british hospital so the baby can live. she mentioned her previous miscarriages in a chaotic country like nigeria. she's not the only foreigner that has come into britain to ensure safe delivery. several other internationals come here everyday to do the same thing. this woman's case became a problem when she had 5 babies(something she could not have put there by herself)

Sorry, [i]Baba Quins
, people like you have NO IDEA the DISCRIMINATION THAT HONEST NIGERIANS + OTHER AFRICANS FACE in the western world because of actions of people like Bimbo (and yourself) and have never experienced the contempt with which some people will treat you (and everything associated wth you) just for being Nigerian or Black African as a result of what they have experienced in the hands of (or heard about) unscrupulous Nigerians + Africans.

tell me about it. . . . .you know some of us have never been to the western world before. . . .i would like to know the discrimination you face in the western world with your dusty certificate doing cleaning jobs in mac donald eateries. nigerians have been experiencing discrimination before this woman even got pregnant. her case will not worsen the situation neither would it better it. stop shifting the blame of your pathetic government on the shoulders of an innocent woman who got blessed with five children. if you envy her, get pregnant and pop out 5 children like her.

. . .  when will Nigeria progress with people like you who refuse to condemn what is wrong but instead promote wrong-doing?  angry If the UK was built by people like you, there would be no NHS! You do not belong in a society of right-thinkers, Bro! You belong in a society that will never progress because of people like you!

unfortunately for you, i have been living in the united kingdom probably before you were born. i pay my tax(some of which will go and help this woman's situation) and i am glad. . . . .it's better for my tax to help a woman like this than the drug addicts and social rejects that abound in your neighbourhood in brixton. in perspective, i am saving lives - you are destroying lives.

When all female visitor visa holders start being subjected to mandatory pregnancy tests at international ports of entry - at an additional cost, many who still think Bimbo hasn't done wrong will understand! angry[/b]

why the united kingdom are yet to embrace this policy is beyond me. . . . . .il support it 100%. let every female visiting visa holder start taking pregnancy tests. if they had done one for bimbo, she would have been sent back to her oshodi flat and no one would question her motives. if you cannot bend your head around it that the system is wrong, then i cannot help you.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by seyibrown(f): 6:02pm On Jul 06, 2011
if you pay enough attention to the details rather than ranting in the darkrness, you would get hold of the story. her intention was to come here and have her child. no one is disputing that with you. unfortunately, her expectation of having one child was thwarted and she had five. five children that were premature and needed intensive care. . . . .if this woman had delivered one baby and billed £2000, she would have paid and none of us would hear or know about her. . . . .but as it is, it's not reasonable to ask a nigerian to pay £200,000 for medical bills. . .it's simply insane.

Really? If she had told the Visa issuing officer that HER INTENTION as to come to the UK to have JUST ONE BABY, not FIVE (which is actually to use UK public funds), would she have been granted the VISITING VISA? . . . and you still think it is lunacy to think she lied to get a visa and stayed to cheat the system? angry Aren't you a bit confused?
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by tpia5: 6:04pm On Jul 06, 2011

This I-must-give-birth-abroad mentality causes a lot of pain most of the time.

God will make a way for you, your husband and the children.

WHAT DOES NOT COME FIRST FROM ABOVE (GOD) CANNOT COME FROM ABROAD

nobody will listen, not even the leaders.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by coogar: 6:16pm On Jul 06, 2011
seyibrown:

Really? If she had told the Visa issuing officer that HER INTENTION as to come to the UK to have JUST ONE BABY, not FIVE (which is actually to use UK public funds), would she have been granted the VISITING VISA?  .  . .  and you still think it is lunacy to think she lied to get a visa and stayed to cheat the system?  angry Aren't you a bit confused?

she would have been granted the visiting visa because she would have been made to prove she can pay for her bills when she gets into the uk. the excuse that she cannot pay for the medical bill wouldn't have surfaced at all. let's even scratch that. . . .if this woman had delivered just one child or twins, would she have made the same excuse that she could not pay? does that not destroy your theory that she had a motive from the onset? it seems to me you are more confused. . . . . .a lot of pregnant arab women stroll into this country heavily pregnant for the same motive of using the state-of-the-art facility to guarantee safe delivery. . . . .this is not new to visa issuing officers. . . .

it's the same thing as needing a surgery and coming in to the united kingdom to enjoy the facilities. . . .it has been happening since the 10th century.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by hercules07: 7:35pm On Jul 06, 2011
What the woman did was wrong, she should be made to pay the bill and she should be sent back to Nigeria when the kids are fit enough to travel, her support circle is her husband who is in Nigeria, when I went to Dubai and fell ill, I went to the hospital, was treated and had to pay before leaving the hospital.
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by seyibrown(f): 9:34pm On Jul 06, 2011
coogar:

she would have been granted the visiting visa because she would have been made to prove she can pay for her bills when she gets into the uk. the excuse that she cannot pay for the medical bill wouldn't have surfaced at all. let's even scratch that. . . .if this woman had delivered just one child or twins, would she have made the same excuse that she could not pay? does that not destroy your theory that she had a motive from the onset? it seems to me you are more confused. . . . . .a lot of pregnant arab women stroll into this country heavily pregnant for the same motive of using the state-of-the-art facility to guarantee safe delivery. . . . .this is not new to visa issuing officers. . . .

coogar:

why the united kingdom are yet to embrace this policy is beyond me. . . . . .il support it 100%. let every female visiting visa holder start taking pregnancy tests. if they had done one for bimbo, she would have been sent back to her oshodi flat and no one would question her motives. if you cannot bend your head around it that the system is wrong, then i cannot help you.

[b]On one hand, you say she would have been granted the visa if she had told the embassy was going to  the UK with the intention of having her baby there  . ,   on a Visitor's visa?? and then on the other hand it would be right to have sent her back if found to be pregnant. Which one you dey?  lipsrsealed  There is no denying the fact that she had the option of declaring her intentions and applying for the relevant SPECIAL VISITORS VISA (PRIVATE MEDICAL TREATMENT) but instead applied for a ordinary visitors visa, thereby, deceiving the issuing officer.

Preaching that as some people have been doing the wrong things for years and other should continue doing it is what has brought Nigeria to where it is today, and unfortunately, people like yourself will not be content until they see the UK become a 'Nigeria'. Many of our politicians are like you who have seen how to make a system work but instead choose to make it worse!  You may have been living in the UK before I was born but that experience has not spurred change in you. You left a corrupt Nigeria for better shores but the corrupt Nigerian still remains in you and you are infecting teh grass made greener by others with your poison!  Many of today's OAPs helped build this country by paying their dues. The NHS would not be there if they did not! Justifying and encouraging actions such as Bimbo's is just so wrong!

Dishonesty is dishonesty; It can never become honesty!

I have said my piece . . . now I will go back to my dusty certificate and my cleaning job!  grin  grin [/b]
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by Kunbee: 10:37pm On Jul 06, 2011
Tee_Jay:

I agree 200,000%; but then knowing our people, naija women would just see this as a chance to fly to UK to give birth and expect the nigerian govt to pick up the tab

Then the lawmakers should pass a bill saying if any other person tries it again, its the person who will foot the bill and they will see to it

Even in general hospitals, if you have multiple births except twins. The state pays for everything and gives them money, but records have shown that one or two out of the kids die, the last sextuplets born in Ogun state 4 of the kids died and when they asked those awful nurses what happened, they said she was poor so if the kids die its all for the best besides she has two left and other ones, so Bimbo knew what she was doing.

I dont support what she did, i understand it. Maybe the Nigerian government should allocate the money from all those frozen accounts of thieves like Cecilia Ibru and the rest
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by VolvoS60(m): 11:57pm On Jul 06, 2011
Nice cut & thrust exchange we have going on here, Gohome. But I stand by my story. . .

Post # 202 by Gohome:

“It is common knowledge for women to take fertility drugs in Nigeria. They do this to aid conception and not to boost it. She obviously did not plan to give birth to five kids. she planned to give birth to one. The media is making you think otherwise. let me quote the dailymail, Bimbo Ayelabola, 33, applied for a six-month visitor's visa soon after discovering she was pregnant, travelling to the UK without her husband to visit her three sisters.

would she have known she had five kids in her soon after she discovered she was pregnant, obviously not. which means, she probably thought of just having a baby or two just like any other person and pay the bills just like any other person”.

@Gohome:

Take a look at your post I have reproduced above and note the italicized parts: These are very strong (I repeat, very strong) assumptions to make about someone who I presume is unknown to you. You are really going out on a limb when you make the kind of sweeping statements I have highlighted in your post above. Let me take them one by one:

“She obviously did not plan to give birth to five kids. she planned to give birth to one.”

Sir, we do not know the above for a fact. It is impossible for you and I to speculate from a distance on Mrs. A’s birth plans and my next comment seals this point.

“would she have known she had five kids in her soon after she discovered she was pregnant, obviously not.”

Sir, again I must say that you are being a bit presumptuous here. It is really pushing it quite a bit to confidently assert, (as you have done) that Mrs. A was unaware of the number of foetuses in her womb soon after she discovered she was pregnant. (By the way, what does ‘soon’ mean? A day? A week? A month? A year?)

It appears that medical sonography reveals the presence of multiple foetuses as early as 17 to 24 weeks after conception. I would like to think that given the circumstances (prior miscarriage and use of fertility drugs), a scan would have been done quite early in her pregnancy, given her medical history. But I do not know for sure, which means it would be prudent to avoid comments (such as yours) which contain definitive assertions.

If you notice, I have carefully avoided casting aspersions on Mrs A’s credibility and her motives. I have avoided accusing her of orchestrating anything, as you so eloquently put it. I am sticking to the actions and events as they have unfolded so far.

Thanks for the Grisham & DSK references – I will look them up one of these days when I am no longer on the Bench cheesy and I have more time on my hands. . .
Re: Who Will Foot The £200,000 Bill?! by claremont(m): 7:53am On Jul 07, 2011
We are discussing the illegality of a lady's actions as an award winning scrounger, and rather than produce logical points which prove otherwise, some mis-informed and mal-adapted persons are throwing personal insults left, right, and centre. What relevance has personal insults to fellow nairalanders got to play in this debate?! Are the insults necessary to prove a logical point, or to show the illogicality of a point made?!

Take it or leave it, this lady has contributed her own quota to rubbing the already dirty name of Nigeria in the mud. She has corruptly planned, designed, and executed a strategy to benefit from a healthcare system she does not deserve to receive. People are saying that I'm wicked for not supporting this woman, the real question is can the woman go to the US and do the same thing without paying for it? I doubt if the American embassy will grant her a visa if they notice she is pregnant, until she can convince them that she has wired the full costs of the surgery to the hospital involved, are the Americans wicked for doing that?!.

It is not about wickedness or no wickedness, it is about doing the right thing at all times irrespective of whatever national is involved. Why should I look away from this woman's actions merely because she is Nigerian, as some people of alluded?! In fact, that is the main reason why I will not look away; if we continue to tolerate fraud perpetuated by our kith and kin in the Diaspora simply because they are our "brothers and sisters", then I dare say we do deserve all the derogatory names used by the white man on us!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

African Union Launches An All-africa Passport, To Be Fully Active By 2018 / Driver Becomes Unconscious After Road Chase With Police Operatives In Delta.PICS / Ibom Air Begins Commercial Flight To Bayelsa Airport.. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.