Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,046 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry (29059 Views)

My Girlfriend Mum Is Currently Looking For Me With Police, I'm On The Run! Help / My Mum Is Against My Relationship / Ladies, What's Your Reason for Rejecting Suitors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 2:04pm On Aug 20, 2023
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by talented321: 2:05pm On Aug 20, 2023

110 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 2:06pm On Aug 20, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

Have you prayed about the girl your mother said you shouldn't marry to know whether she is the will of God for you?

If you're not sure she's the right person for you, baba leave the girl oo. Women have not finished in this World.

But if you're very sure you Spirit is comfotable and at peace with her, inform your mother about it so that her mind will be settled for you.

No mother wants her son to marry a girl that will be a problem to him later on in life. Don't let any girls beauty or educational qualifications confuse you. Marriage is a life-long journey only you and her will travel on.

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by GOFRONT(m): 2:06pm On Aug 20, 2023
Hope you are of same genotype with your girl to begin with?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 20, 2023
Let me wait for the Igbos to help Op.

We Yorubas have no issues, nah person we see we follow go grin grin

128 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by yrhuhfy113: 2:13pm On Aug 20, 2023
Blaze14k:

There are traditional rites and things that can still make it work.

My issue is why weren't you informed EARLY before ever finding a woman.....

5 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by dawnomike(m): 2:13pm On Aug 20, 2023
Blaze14k:

It is quite a serious matter... The reasons there giving is not strong enough for me.

If you think your lady is worth the stress and war, stand your ground!!!

If she's not worth the wahala, please, he'd to your elders

9 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 2:16pm On Aug 20, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

There are traditional rites and things that can still make it work.

My issue is why weren't you informed EARLY before ever finding a woman.....

I know about osu but no one ever told me these places are forbidden but is this true?

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 20, 2023
Before I write anything ... Can anyone help me with the meaning of OSU

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Ladyclara002(f): 2:26pm On Aug 20, 2023
Life's not fair. Just know this

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by spencekat(m): 2:32pm On Aug 20, 2023
Blaze14k:

I know about osu but no one ever told me these places are forbidden but is this true?
There is no way everybody from those mentioned LGAs will be outcasts.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by spencekat(m): 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from [/b][b][/b]ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, [b][b][/b]and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

Ohafia:-Pure lie,Arochukwu:-Most of them according to useless stories.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jman06(m): 2:54pm On Aug 20, 2023
azraeljaheel:
Before I write anything ... Can anyone help me with the meaning of OSU
From my understanding, OSU or OHU or whatever is just a term coined by conmen of yesteryears to take advantage of their fellow humans whose only crime was that they migrated to a land later than others.

The practice is a clear reflection of how selfish and inhuman the black men of those days were.
In those days, people were migrating from one area to another until they found a liveable land to occupy. Once they settled on a land, any other person coming after them is termed an "OSU". Imagine a situation where aboriginal Americans describe immigrants as outcasts!

In some places, especially in Enugu state, the situation is even such that kinsmen who migrated from one place to another also segregated their kinsmen coming behind them and describe them as OSU or Ohu or whatever that is why they bear the same surname. That is why if you trace the origin of some people who are seen as OHUs in one village, you'll discover that same people belong to the so called AMADUs in another village. It is just the greediness and selfishness of humans at play, it has nothing to do with worship of any gods like some people claim.

76 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Macphenson: 2:56pm On Aug 20, 2023
The Osu caste system is very strong in Igbo land no matter how civilization and Christianity tries to gas light it.

My candid advice, send some well respected elders from your village to go on an annonymous and discrete inquiry to the girl's village to make their findings.

If their findings reveal she is not an OSU, let them tell the entire UMUNNA of it and you can go ahead and marry her, but if she is, the Lord is your strength as you are OYO.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Olarewaju89: 2:59pm On Aug 20, 2023
Go and marry from Niger or better still marry Jennyclay cheesy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by yrhuhfy113: 3:06pm On Aug 20, 2023
Blaze14k:

GENERALLY IT IS NOT... the problem seems to be something from your FAMILY LINEAGE.... maybe a decision they agreed to, long ago

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Rokiat(f): 3:14pm On Aug 20, 2023
One thing for sure sometimes our parents see what we can’t but they can also be toxic asf.

Make your own decision you mom is not going to live your marriage life for you.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 20, 2023
dawnomike:
It is quite a serious matter... The reasons there giving is not strong enough for me.

If you think your lady is worth the stress and war, stand your ground!!!

If she's not worth the wahala, please, he'd to your elders
While this looks very pleasing to read, I won't advice a lady to get married into a family she's not wanted. Except of course the husband wants to cut ties and she won't have to deal with inlaws ever (which is very unrealistic and unreasonable).

Too much stress for nothing.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Joythah(m): 3:49pm On Aug 20, 2023
There is something they are not telling you.
Seek an elder who is truthful and beg am Wella to tell you the real reason why your family is against the girls place of origin.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by thesicilian: 3:51pm On Aug 20, 2023
No matter how far and wide you travel, no matter how well educated or wealthier than your parents you are, when it comes to the issue of marriage, never ignore the fears of your parents. A lot of people have found this out too late in life

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Babamide(m): 3:52pm On Aug 20, 2023
The yorubas have a saying - The dog that would get lost would not hear the hunters whistle.
Your family are telling you something but you say they are wrong, it is nairalanders that know the correct thing. Continue
Persephone1:
Let me wait for the Igbos to help Op.

We Yorubas have no issues, nah person we see we follow go grin grin
Whenever I see my grandma, she always hammers I should never marry from like 3 yoruba dialects.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 20, 2023
Babamide:
The yorubas have a saying - The dog that would get lost would not hear the hunters whistle.
Your family are telling you something but you say they are wrong, it is nairalanders that know the correct thing. Continue

Whenever I see my grandma, she always hammers I should never marry from like 3 yoruba dialects.
Your grandma probably bear a personal vendetta against the 3 tribes, it's personal not a general thing.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jozilinn: 4:06pm On Aug 20, 2023
Like seriously who still does this in this present era, your mum is just being backwards I fear for the said girlfriend of yours, people like you who are held by family are supposed to do what they want, because that's just how you are,free the poor girl please okay because your family Will make life hell for her and it's either it leads to you losing your life or her fighting for hers...ooo why are we so backwards in Africa,so sorry okay please think about the future of your kids,you don't want them to get abnormal treatment from your family,I suggest you get someone else okay but not who your mother will choose e get why hmm... must you marry an igbo girl as well 🤔 just asking though, leave the girl if you love her and want peace of mind for the both of you 🙏🙏❤️

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by flokii: 4:39pm On Aug 20, 2023
So this OSU Caste thing is still existing in Igboland.. I wonder the kind of prayers these people claim to pray when they still regard some of their fellow kiths and kins as outcasts.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Babamide(m): 4:44pm On Aug 20, 2023
Persephone1:
Your grandma probably bear a personal vendetta against the 3 tribes, it's personal not a general thing.
I guess
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by blingxx(m): 4:49pm On Aug 20, 2023
Babamide:

Your grandma was discouraging you based on her expirience with with those tribe(which is during her youth days) common sense should tell you that.. Did she give you any reason so far?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Kobicove(m): 4:53pm On Aug 20, 2023
Blaze14k:

First thing you need to do is to confirm if her family is actually Osu.

Whatever you do just bear in mind that if she is an Osu and you marry her at some point in the future the stigma will also rub off on your kids with her...are you ready for this?

5 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Baronthecelebri: 5:15pm On Aug 20, 2023
Then don't marry her

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Obierika(m): 5:22pm On Aug 20, 2023
Persephone1:

He did not say 3 tribes, he said 3 dialects which means he's referring to one tribe with different sub-groups

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 20, 2023
Obierika:

He did not say 3 tribes, he said 3 dialects which means he's referring to one tribe with different sub-groups
But dialect is language, tribe is the people nah? 🤷🤷

Are you saying his mom picked fight with 3 languages? grin grin

9 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by falcon01: 6:16pm On Aug 20, 2023
Blaze14k:

If I'm been honest, That's some load If bullshit from your momma and he relatives. It's Aftican Nonsense with their biased and prejudiced lifestyle. Anyway if you are on of them and believe in those prehistoric Mumbo Jumbo then listen to your momma.

5 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 6:25pm On Aug 20, 2023
Joythah:
There is something they are not telling you.
Seek an elder who is truthful and beg am Wella to tell you the real reason why your family is against the girls place of origin.

I suspect it cos my parents once lived in abia state before I was born

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Pre-wedding Pictures / Man Proposes To Girlfriend At Covenant Christian Center Church, Lagos / DÎCK: Ladies, Choose One of These Díck Bulges. NA GIRLS DEY RUSH US [PICTURES]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.