Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,428 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry (29182 Views)

My Girlfriend Mum Is Currently Looking For Me With Police, I'm On The Run! Help / My Mum Is Against My Relationship / Ladies, What's Your Reason for Rejecting Suitors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by BabaIbo: 2:12pm On Aug 21, 2023
Marriage matters too deep...

I am currently on one self, they are prepping to question and do findings for me about the lady(and her family line).

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by hammerT: 2:17pm On Aug 21, 2023
pansophist:

How is what I am saying differ from what the guy is saying?

Also, why not defend your position with your own arguments instead of borrowing one from a random youtuber?

ALREADY TOLD YOU, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO LEARN.

I SAID THAT EXACT THING NUMERIOUS TIMES ON THIS PLATFORM.

I WANTED YOU TO HEAR IT FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY IN AFRICA.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by niri(m): 2:22pm On Aug 21, 2023
Macphenson:
The Osu caste system is very strong in Igbo land no matter how civilization and Christianity tries to gas light it.

My candid advice, send some well respected elders from your village to go on an annonymous and discrete inquiry to the girl's village to make their findings.

If their findings reveal she is not an OSU, let them tell the entire UMUNNA of it and you can go ahead and marry her, but if she is, the Lord is your strength as you are OYO.
I thought all the kings in Igbo land came together some years ago to abolish the OSU cast system

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Syphax(m): 2:23pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

Your mother doesn't know anything because the Osu or caste system isn't practiced in Ohafia and other part of old Bende. Ohafia people don't even know what Osu is. She doesn't want you to marry the girl ao she's using that as an excuse

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Ewedegubbler: 2:24pm On Aug 21, 2023
I’m from Anambra. Nothing like Osu in our place. If u try am u go see pepper
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by hammerT: 2:26pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ewedegubbler:
I’m from Anambra. Nothing like Osu in our place. If u try am u go see pepper

JUST SAY YOUR GENERATION DONT KNOW.

IF YOU LIKE GO AND ASK YOUR PARENTS AND YOU WILL FIND OUT.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by niri(m): 2:26pm On Aug 21, 2023
As history may have it, the Osu Caste System has been abolished on 28 December 2018 in a ceremony conducted in Nri, the acclaimed ancestral home of the Igbo nation, in Anaocha local government area of Anambra State. The title of the abolition ceremony was “Nigeria: Osu Caste System in Igboland Ends Today.”[13]

Also on 7 April 2021, another abolition ceremony took place in Nsukka, Enugu as 119 villages in the nine autonomous communities in Nsukka town, Nsukka Local Government Area of Enugu State, gathered to eradicate the Osu Caste System in their communities.[14]
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by hammerT: 2:31pm On Aug 21, 2023
niri:
As history may have it, the Osu Caste System has been abolished on 28 December 2018 in a ceremony conducted in Nri, the acclaimed ancestral home of the Igbo nation, in Anaocha local government area of Anambra State. The title of the abolition ceremony was “Nigeria: Osu Caste System in Igboland Ends Today.”[13]

Also on 7 April 2021, another abolition ceremony took place in Nsukka, Enugu as 119 villages in the nine autonomous communities in Nsukka town, Nsukka Local Government Area of Enugu State, gathered to eradicate the Osu Caste System in their communities.[14]

THEY NEED A PUBLIC HOLIDAY TO DRIVE HOME THE MESSAGE.

A SPECIAL DAY RESERVED

ALL THE COMMUNITIES EZE MUST REPLICATE EZE NRI.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by ArsenWinner: 2:33pm On Aug 21, 2023
Mum knows better
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Alonso91(m): 2:42pm On Aug 21, 2023
Persephone1:
Let me wait for the Igbos to help Op.

We Yorubas have no issues, nah person we see we follow go grin grin

So,you be Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by TheBillyonaire: 2:47pm On Aug 21, 2023
In essence, according to your Igbo culture, all human beings were not created equal. Interesting read.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by coputa(m): 2:50pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:

Don't be smarter than your shadow.Take their advice,in most cases those older than you see farther especially your parents

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by charlsecy(m): 2:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jman06:
In those days, people were migrating from one area to another until they found a liveable land to occupy. Once they settled on a land, any other person coming after them is termed an "OSU". Imagine a situation where aboriginal Americans describe immigrants as outcasts!
I think your description is very, very off point. OSU, to the best of my knowledge, were offenders who were found guilty of great abominations and cast away so as to avoid the anger of the earth Deity and to prevent the spread of abomination among the citizens of the state. @azraeljaheel

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by chris51(f): 2:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
In this 2023, how can anyone be talking about OSI?
Nonsense.
If they have something against the girl, fine but her being from a certain area is not good enough reason to reject her. It's not fair.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by chris51(f): 2:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
chris51:
Nonsense.
If they have something against the girl, fine but her being from a certain area is not good enough reason to reject her. It's not fair.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Yankiss(m): 3:01pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:

I know about osu but no one ever told me these places are forbidden but is this true?
Don't be naive. Everyone in a given place cannot be osu. It's not the Igbo concept. That the late dad belonged to Eze's cabinet is another pointer to the fact that they are not osu, unless the said community has discarded osu system entirely. My part of Igbo land doesnt know or practice osu and diala system. It's archaic and outdated. If you truly love that girl and you know she is your chosen and u are cool with her, go ahead and marry her. I am a traditional ruler.

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jman06(m): 3:02pm On Aug 21, 2023
Skankamola:

Not just migration thing, they might have been other unwanted practices causing disharmony like betrayals, incest, religious beliefs, and offcourse the so-called slaves/royal descendants bullshit thing. Its just suprising how such tales by moonlight are carried on generation after generation till the 21st century despite education.
Well, in the locality I'm familiar with, it's more about migration and local politics.

Some people who still hold on to the practice are political opportunists who think that the practice would confer some kind of political advantage on them. But with modernity, many people are becoming wiser and politics in democratic settings does not really go by such practices because nothing is black or white in politics.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by stevups(m): 3:03pm On Aug 21, 2023
Don't fight alone
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Brandiebird: 3:03pm On Aug 21, 2023
chris51:
Nonsense.

Why do you ALWAYS quote your own comments?
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by NigerianAngelo(m): 3:06pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground

1. Pray Our Father three times everyday for 30 days for guidance.

If you are a Catholic, you could pray the Litany to the Sacred Heart everyday for thirty days.

God will lead you to the better.

That is the main point you should gather from the "No".
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jman06(m): 3:07pm On Aug 21, 2023
deltateam:

You don't know what you're saying despite filling up space. That's how some students write and ask for extras paper expecting to make A only to get F.

Better go and beg an elder in your village to explain it for your understanding.
I explained it the way it relates to my locality and I believe that same reasons contribute largely if not the sole driving force for the practice in other Igbo states. It is just about some people trying to take political advantage of others! Greediness and selfishness of humans!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jman06(m): 3:12pm On Aug 21, 2023
charlsecy:
I think your description is very, very off point. OSU, to the best of my knowledge, were offenders who were found guilty of great abominations and cast away so as to avoid the anger of the earth Deity and to prevent the spread of abomination among the citizens of the state. @azraeljaheel
That is not the case!

The whole thing is the greediness of humans at play!
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by fineberry(m): 3:13pm On Aug 21, 2023
Matters of the heart

To get a good girl to marry, wahala

To have her people accept you whole heartedly wahala

To have your people accept her in return as you .(Like Op people) ....wahala

For the society to accept both of you base on your capacity to do wedding ceremony as your power Reach...wahala

To meet church standard nd engagement right...wahala

To cope after wedding with someone you thought you new ...wahala

To carry marriage responsibility in this kind of country like 9ja...wahala

To satisfy her/him in bed base on sexual experience nd know-how...wahala.

To carry your spouse family responsibilities (Viz-a-viz).....wahala

Wahala no dey finish.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SLOVFO(m): 3:16pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ikennaford:

I don't know about those areas, but arochukwu is osu, carry me go anywhere, na osu dem be

Stop gloating in your ignorance. What do you know about Arochukwu LGA, Arochukwu and the Aros? You ignorant folks from Imo state, that have not travelled outside Owerri will keep saying what you know not . Your ancestors travelled far to Arochukwu to seek counsel from the oracle and the elders...your ancestors did everything to identify with the Aros. Go and ask your people that bear the name Nwachukwu how the came about the name. Who are you in the olden days to stand shoulder to shoulder with an Aro man? If not for modernization you would have been sold into slavery by your people for this rubbish you have just said. Pardon me if you feel belittle or insulted by my response...but there is need for you to be corrected before you pass your ignorance and bias to your children.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SLOVFO(m): 3:34pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:

I'm from imo state orlu precisely. What sort of tradition do they hold.. I'm suspecting this is the reason they don't want me to marry her. My mum mentioned they do juju too much

I suspect that the OP must be from the Orlu zone of Imo state. Imo state people are generally obsessed with this Osu thing. Una carry am for head like gala. I have had such an experience first hand. It always starts with the OSU thing...the simple truth is that your mother doesn't want you to marry that lady for reasons best known to her. Your mum may not like (and accept) the culture of Ohafia people. And of course, their culture differs from that of the place where you are coming from.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by CashVessel(m): 3:35pm On Aug 21, 2023
Please did you speak to any elderly MALE relative about this matter? If you haven't, please find one or two and ask for advice.
Women are generally sold out to a general opinion. Once they believe or.are told something by someone they trust, they just swallow it hook line and sinker. If she's from the Eze in Council family, shes not.likely to be Osu. My greatest advice to you will be to seek God's face in all these. If.God says she's yours, nothing anyone fit do for.the matter. Take some time out to fast and pray, and He will answer you.[1quote author=talented321 post=125235531]Your mama and the elders see more than u see'' you are in love why they are not'' you want to please ur girl why they are not''
Don't play with it whenever ur parents bring up issues like this'' many of them are talking from experience''[/quote]
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by phemmyfour: 3:47pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:

It's one of those mumu traditions that should have been abolished in igboland by now. If you marry her, heaven will not fall
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by talented321: 4:06pm On Aug 21, 2023
Normal'' everything has good and bad because some times even ur own parents are also fighting against u''
Solsix:

Not always true. When my uncle wanted to marry my grand parents kicked against it with everything they have. He went ahead to marry that lady. They have lived for more than twenty years and that woman is the toast of everyone.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 4:21pm On Aug 21, 2023
SLOVFO:

I suspect that the OP must be from the Orlu zone of Imo state. Imo state people are generally obsessed with this Osu thing. Una carry am for head like gala. I have had such an experience first hand. It always starts with the OSU thing...the simple truth is that your mother doesn't want you to marry that lady for reasons best known to her. Your mum may not like (and accept) the culture of Ohafia people. And of course, their culture differs from that of the place where you are coming from.

You are very much accurate with ur write up. Funny thing is she want me to marry someone that studied medicine. And it should be her choice which I strongly reject as well. So right now it's a deadlock between us

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Karnice600: 4:23pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:

At least Western colonization did us great good in this regard. For the foolish guys who “know their history” and trade blames like goods and services.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Ed12(m): 4:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
Listen to your mum
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Ed12(m): 4:41pm On Aug 21, 2023
Listen to your mum

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

10_signs_that_a_girl_likes_you There Are Some Common Signs, Are They / The Amazing Power Of The Kitchen And The Other Room. / Guys, What Is The Greatest Lie A Woman Has Ever Told You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.