Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,624 members, 7,823,748 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry (29189 Views)

My Girlfriend Mum Is Currently Looking For Me With Police, I'm On The Run! Help / My Mum Is Against My Relationship / Ladies, What's Your Reason for Rejecting Suitors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by POWERFULGOD: 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2023
vengertime:

Anambra of all places? That have hard working people that are ambitious to take care of their families

I weak when I saw it...
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by onadana: 1:48pm On Aug 21, 2023
DaddyFreeze2020:

Have you prayed about the girl your mother said you shouldn't marry to know whether she is the will of God for you?

If you're not sure she's the right person for you, baba leave the girl oo. Women have not finished in this World.

But if you're very sure you Spirit is comfotable and at peace with her, inform your mother about it so that her mind will be settled for you.

No mother wants her son to marry a girl that will be a problem to him later on in life. Don't let any girls beauty or educational qualifications confuse you. Marriage is a life-long journey only you and her will travel on.

Which will of God?He willed with his dick.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by darkmarky(m): 1:48pm On Aug 21, 2023
I pray God wont judge those who are against marrying Osu.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Hassanmaye(m): 1:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

Mum have wisdom Sha, accept her decision my advice
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Daddy46: 1:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
Babamide:
The yorubas have a saying - The dog that would get lost would not hear the hunters whistle.
Your family are telling you something but you say they are wrong, it is nairalanders that know the correct thing. Continue

Whenever I see my grandma, she always hammers I should never marry from like 3 yoruba dialects.
ijebu number one

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by hammerT: 1:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
1Sharon:

Did women not used to drink the dead body water of their late husbands? 🥴

Where is that practise today?

ALL THIS HORROR STORY YOU PEOPLE ARE LEARNING, WHO TOLD YOU THAT WAS EVER DONE.

UNLESS YOU KILLED HIM.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Melkizedeck: 1:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
BinamRex:

In this case, they don't see anything more than the poster. They are just prejudiced. It's not every piece of advice you should take from an elderly person. Fools grow old too, you know. A person who is foolish in his youth will grow up to be foolish and because he/she has grey hair, you might be tempted to accept their advice as sheer wisdom.

Jesus died for our sins and set everyone free. There is no Osu. We are all freeborn. You are a man. God against your people's wish if you are convinced that she is a good girl.

But is this how they will be discriminating against one another when they finally get Biafra?

No be small thing ooo.
I feel Nigeria is doing them a favour keeping them together. If them get their Biafra, they might end up killing themselves before 5 years of independence 😆 🤣 😂

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Gaffass(m): 1:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ur mum has been a woman for long and knows the best woman for u. Mind u what
ur mum sees while sitting cannot be seen by u my dear even if I climb the tallest tree...
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jman06:
From my understanding, OSU or OHU or whatever is just a term coined by conmen of yesteryears to take advantage of their fellow humans whose only crime was that they migrated to a land later than others.

The practice is a clear reflection of how selfish and inhuman the black men of those days were.
In those days, people were migrating from one area to another until they found a liveable land to occupy. Once they settled on a land, any other person coming after them is termed an "OSU". Imagine a situation where aboriginal Americans describe immigrants as outcasts!

In some places, especially in Enugu state, the situation is even such that kinsmen who migrated from one place to another also segregated their kinsmen coming behind them and describe them as OSU or Ohu or whatever that is why they bear the same surname. That is why if you trace the origin of some people who are seen as OHUs in one village, you'll discover that same people belong to the so called AMADUs in another village. It is just the greediness and selfishness of humans at play, it has nothing to do with worship of any gods like some people claim.
Not just migration thing, they might have been other unwanted practices causing disharmony like betrayals, incest, religious beliefs, and offcourse the so-called slaves/royal descendants bullshit thing. Its just suprising how such tales by moonlight are carried on generation after generation till the 21st century despite education.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by pansophist(m): 1:51pm On Aug 21, 2023
1Sharon:

I've already said it before that the practise of bride price should be abolished.

It is the source of misogyny against women.

But some greedy people don't care.

No peace for the wicked, that statement is true.

I always see the same pattern with wicked people, which is that they may cash out once, but lose overall. They are so dumb about the price they pay for their selfish act.

Feel free to bill him, but your daughter's and your family's name will not be respected. He will see the family as hungry dogs, and hate when your father calls him because, in his mind, they want to bill him again.

Some might even see it as a license to give the bride royal rumble at home, after all, he don buy you.

Greedy people are like rats that because of their greed, can't resist the food in the trap. They will eat once, but get caught in a problem bigger than themselves.

No peace for the wicked. I don't care if you don't believe it, or justify your greed with tradition, culture, or whatever convenience term you can come up with, life will always give it to you wotowoto.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by hammerT: 1:51pm On Aug 21, 2023
pansophist:

Mr man, collect the Bride price. All I am saying is that you should practice humanity while doing it. Don't make the man bitter and poorer just because he married your sister/daughter.

A few weeks ago, a thread hit the frontpage about a newly married woman complaining that her husband have changed for the worse after their wedding night,

ANd when she asked him, he explained that he is in debt, and the money he paid for brideprice is so much. The man was broke just because he married her.

I mean, I do not want any man to be broke because he married my sister or my daughter, instead, I want her presence in his life to boost him higher, and she will be a true blessing to him.

WHich school you go sef? I cant believe this is too hard for you to get. COllect bride price, just don't kill the man with bills, thats all.
#

HOW CAN HE BE BROKE FOR BUYING A FEW THINGS FOR HIS OCCASSION AND PAYING HIS DUES?

PLUS, HE HAS AN EXTRA HAND NOW, WHICH MEANS EXTRA INCOME.

I WILL LET THAT CONGO GUY EXPLAIN TO YOU BEFORE THE END OF THE DAY.

I'M SEARCHING FOR HIM ON YOUTUBE.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Dannyilo(m): 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
You are the one getting married not your mother. Go and marry her if you are comfortable with her. Igbo discriminating another Igbo, I can imagine what will happen you you decide to marry another tribe entirely.
I am from Benue but married to Akwa Ibom. I faced same challenge but I ignored all the noise and still married my wife. It's 12yrs now and going, no issue of concern. Nobody have ever heard us quarreling. Infact, my wife is more closer to my parents than myself now. If you are not bold enough to make your own choice, then you are not ready for marriage.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Juanmike(m): 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
Before I write anything ... Can anyone help me with the meaning of OSU
It means corn
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by 007kjb: 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
pansophist:

Igbo own are too much, that is my point.

The worse are igbos from imo. Even their men run to other parts of Igbo land for a wife, especially women from Enugu.

Stop spraying lies
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by 1Sharon(f): 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
hammerT:

ALL THIS HORROR STORY YOU PEOPLE ARE LEARNING, WHO TOLD YOU THAT WAS EVER DONE.

UNLESS YOU KILLED HIM.

So you believe dead body water can identify a woman that killed her husband? 🤔
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by hammerT: 1:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
1Sharon:

So you believe dead body water can identify a woman that killed her husband? 🤔

WHY IS IT THAT PEOPLE WHO COMMIT CRIME IN BENIN ARE FORCED TO DRINK WATER BY OBA OF BENIN?

ALL OF YOU WILL JUST BE SHOUTING IGBO BUT FORGET YOU ARE ALL DOING THE SAME THING.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by pansophist(m): 1:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
hammerT:
#

HOW CAN HE BE BROKE FOR BUYING A FEW THINGS FOR HIS OCCASSION AND PAYING HIS DUES?

PLUS, HE HAS AN EXTRA HAND NOW, WHICH MEANS EXTRA INCOME.

I WILL LET THAT CONGO GUY EXPLAIN TO YOU BEFORE THE END OF THE DAY.

I'M SEARCHING FOR HIM ON YOUTUBE.

The Congo guy na God? See this man o.

A proponent of expensive brideprice justifying his greed is like a tiger justifying why he killed a goat.

Anyways I will give you and the Congo man the benefit of doubt, let me hear what he has to say/

But I will repeat for the umpteenth time, don't bankrupt a man because you need brideprice. Thats all.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by pansophist(m): 1:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
007kjb:

Stop spraying lies

Have you eaten? grin
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nigeriadondie: 1:56pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

Bro go ahead & marry who you love.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by 1Sharon(f): 1:56pm On Aug 21, 2023
POWERFULGOD:

I'm sorry I can't say much here again .... It might be too insensitive to others....

P. S
Don't quote hammerT again is like he want to fight....

grin

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by hammerT: 1:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
pansophist:

The Congo guy na God? See this man o.

A proponent of expensive brideprice justifying his greed is like a tiger justifying why he killed a goat.

Anyways I will give you and the Congo man the benefit of doubt, let me hear what he has to say/

But I will repeat for the umpteenth time, don't bankrupt a man because you need brideprice. Thats all.

FOUND HIM, WATCH FROM 4.50

THIS IS A CONGOLESE MAN, ONLY YORUBA DONT TAKE MARRIAGE SERIOUS AND EVERYTIME, THEY WILL BE CALLING IGBO AND THAT MUST STOP.

WE ARE DIFFERENT ENTITIES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIyi3pdf7U
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jackipapa: 1:58pm On Aug 21, 2023
My brother, forget, watch and pray for a new woman for wife and thank me later!
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by juman(m): 1:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
Nah wa o.

All south easterners are osu.

2023 o, they still talk of osu.

Unbelievable.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by hammerT: 1:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
1Sharon:

grin

U TOO WATCH FROM 4.50, EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by countryman13: 1:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:

May God Almighty give you the needed wisdom to navigate through and overcome your present predicament, amen. Bro, let your mom see many good reasons why U want to spend the rest of your life with the girl in question. Lastly,d ball is solely in your court because none of your family members n your mom partially inclusive, will be there with you in your potential home. Be wise n let no man deceive you.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by 1Sharon(f): 1:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
hammerT:

WHY IS IT THAT PEOPLE WHO COMMIT CRIME IN BENIN ARE FORCED TO DRINK WATER BY OBA OF BENIN?

ALL OF YOU WILL JUST BE SHOUTING IGBO BUT FORGET YOU ARE ALL DOING THE SAME THING.

Who is all of you?

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by juman(m): 2:01pm On Aug 21, 2023
Young man, go and check through local spirituality if you should marry her.
If it's positive, go ahead and marry her.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Yugoslavia247(m): 2:08pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:

What does your Father say?

Heed to that instead.

If he has no issues then your marriage has no issues

Women will always be women.
Even if your mother loves her after you marry then still fit fight.
So wetin.

Na your papa advice makes sense. Na im go look beyond emotions and critically give reasons to go on or not
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by 007kjb: 2:08pm On Aug 21, 2023
pansophist:

Have you eaten? grin

I don't know what hunger IS

YOU HAVE U EATEN? WEREY
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by pansophist(m): 2:08pm On Aug 21, 2023
hammerT:

FOUND HIM, WATCH FROM 4.50

THIS IS A CONGOLESE MAN, ONLY YORUBA DONT TAKE MARRIAGE SERIOUS AND EVERYTIME, THEY WILL BE CALLING IGBO AND THAT MUST STOP.

WE ARE DIFFERENT ENTITIES.

How is what I am saying differ from what the guy is saying?

Also, why not defend your position with your own arguments instead of borrowing one from a random youtuber?

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Mom007(f): 2:09pm On Aug 21, 2023
Better leave that poor girl let her go her way in peace o... by the time you marry her with stronghead now, few years down rhe line you and your family will settle and then she becomes rhe outcast. You will still join forces with your mother to make life miserable for her! We know your type! You we be forming us against the world at first but after small pressure from your family, you throw your wife under the bus for your family to hate and torment.

3 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Aleem26(m): 2:10pm On Aug 21, 2023
Then you marry your Mom

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Guys, What Is The Greatest Lie A Woman Has Ever Told You? / Masturbation Is Killing Me Slowly / Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.