Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,188 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry - Romance (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry (29178 Views)

My Girlfriend Mum Is Currently Looking For Me With Police, I'm On The Run! Help / My Mum Is Against My Relationship / Ladies, What's Your Reason for Rejecting Suitors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by BALLOSKI: 6:59am On Aug 22, 2023
talented321:
Your mama and the elders see more than u see'' you are in love why they are not'' you want to please ur girl why they are not''
Don't play with it whenever ur parents bring up issues like this'' many of them are talking from experience''
The mama has one of the weakest argument and her argument is discriminatory.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by BALLOSKI: 7:03am On Aug 22, 2023
Macphenson:
The Osu caste system is very strong in Igbo land no matter how civilization and Christianity tries to gas light it.

My candid advice, send some well respected elders from your village to go on an annonymous and discrete inquiry to the girl's village to make their findings.

If their findings reveal she is not an OSU, let them tell the entire UMUNNA of it and you can go ahead and marry her, but if she is, the Lord is your strength as you are OYO.
una thinking low for that region. This is how you want biafra.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by BALLOSKI: 7:06am On Aug 22, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

I wouldn't want you to disrespect your mom, but her argument is weak discriminatory. She's a human being. If she's good for you, work around it.

Igbo and discrimination!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by UIUX: 8:54am On Aug 22, 2023
Bennysam:

Think about what your kids will go through in the future
The Kids are not limited to marrying from Igbo land or do you think a Ghanian cares about your Osu system?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by winner37(m): 9:06am On Aug 22, 2023
Sometimes parents are always right
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 9:28am On Aug 22, 2023
Bennysam:

Think about what your kids will go through in the future

I have gone through her family and found out she's not osu. My family is saying everybody from arochukwu, ohafia, and Edda are all osu but it doesnt make any sense.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Bennysam: 9:30am On Aug 22, 2023
Blaze14k:

I have gone through her family and found out she's not osu. My family is saying everybody from arochukwu, ohafia, and Edda are all osu but it doesnt make any sense.
Where are you from? I just want you to think deep to avoid had I know

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 9:32am On Aug 22, 2023
Bennysam:

Where are you from? I just want you to think deep to avoid had I know

Orlu, imo state
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by thedarkened: 10:51am On Aug 22, 2023
toprealman:

Your mum most likely watch too much Nollywood, Awka production, in addition to feeding on social media junk.
How can an entire village be osu? Do you really understand the meaning of Osu?
Talking about osu, how backwards can one be when most villages have liberated themselves from such social anathema.
Ohafia, Abriba and Arochukwu cultures are very deep. If you are associated with them one way or the other, na man you be!

How deep please? I really want to know for knowledge sake, because i married from there; Arochukwu to be precise. Whatever you are gonna tell me is only for knowledge sake, like i said.

To me, they are nice and good people. Experience matter for some of us to change the already conceived idea we have about people of different culture and background though!

Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by UmehzEmmanuel(m): 11:19am On Aug 22, 2023
Op,

Discuss this issue with an uncle of yours or any other respectable member of the community you're close to.
They are the ones to make research, not you.

I suspect your Mom might have other stronger reasons; especially if she has set eyes on the lady and decided to use the osu talk as a cover.

I don't think any progressive-minded person takes the osu caste system any seriously these days.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by thedarkened: 11:25am On Aug 22, 2023
I'm not an Igbo person, However, if i had listened to or followed some of the reactions i got from some family members, not really my parents though (as they are of the opinion that, whoever you bring after verifying that she is good, and they make their background check and confirm so, they are willing to support) perhaps i will be regretting by now. My wife is not perfect , but she is a good and well trained woman.

I travelled the first time, all the way from lagos to Abia for introduction, and later on payment of bride price, while we eventually held the wedding in lagos.
Even though i heard the "OSU" of thing partially, i was not ready to give it a listening ear; after all my own tradition, culture and religious beliefs doesn't hold that view; so i trashed it!

At the end of he whole thing, the kinsmen told me that "nah man you be" and i couldn't be more prouder of myself. Many have let go of valuables in the name of archaic traditions and culture.

So, sometimes, some reaction are just personal from parents due to experience they had with people from that background and culture, which in reality does not depict who the individual you are marrying or her family really is.

Most times, because people don't want certain cultures and traditions to go into extinction, they deliberately cause certain things to happen to whoever does not hold/share the same belief with them, just to prove a point and allow the continuity of such traditions and cultures which in the real sense is a scam.

Please make findings through one or two persons in your family who are not fully in support of your mother's view and an independent person (for a supporting or dissenting view), let them travel if they have to (just to fulfil all righteousness and for the sake of your children if you eventually go ahead with her).

After the findings , then decide what to do.

In any case, let fact and not sentiment cloud your judgement. Stand for your fiancee, that's why I'm appealing that you should not let sentiment take over, rather, fact from the investigation.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by bigman001(m): 11:56am On Aug 22, 2023
Persephone1:
Let me wait for the Igbos to help Op.

We Yorubas have no issues, nah person we see we follow go grin grin
grin aye wa da
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by toprealman: 2:20pm On Aug 22, 2023
thedarkened:

How deep please? I really want to know for knowledge sake, because i married from there; Arochukwu to be precise. Whatever you are gonna tell me is only for knowledge sake, like i said.

To me, they are nice and good people. Experience matter for some of us to change the already conceived idea we have about people of different culture and background though!

Thank you.

Congratulations, you have nothing to worry about.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by thedarkened: 2:55pm On Aug 22, 2023
toprealman:

Congratulations, you have nothing to worry about.

I know chief smiley. But you haven't mentioned the deep part which I'm interested in. grin
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SonOfEl(m): 2:58pm On Aug 22, 2023
POWERFULGOD:

This is different to OSU issues , yours has to do with tribe issue because in whole of Igboland, Anambrians treat their women more than any state in Eastern part of Nigeria ....
P. S
The stigma attached from OSU will 100% affect your children and children children's...

My candid advice to OP Is to send an elderly person to go do investigation as normal igbo tradition to find out if she's truly OSU ... If she's then na to back out because it's like one trying to marry SS while you are AS blood group... The stigma and discrimination will affect his generations...

Can't you make a point without trying to project your Anambra state as better than others? What sort of low-key inferiority complex is this?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Macphenson: 4:00pm On Aug 22, 2023
BALLOSKI:
una thinking low for that region. This is how you want biafra.

You are a big fool fod bringing biafra into this. I guess you areamong those thier ancestors fell from heaven. Yeye dey smell.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by akube34: 4:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
sgtponzihater1:
If your mum does not support a marriage, the most prudent thing is to let go of it. Someone else will come along.

An only suggestion is if the Lord almighty specifically ask you to go ahead. Otherwise avoid this route.
I still don’t understand why a parent will tell u who not to marry. For Christ sake, marry who you want, if it doesn’t work, it’s fine. You are not the first. Divorce is not bad. You guys talk like dis marriage thing na do or die affair. If I marry a woman that wants to kill me, I go divorce am straight. Let him make his mistake and learn
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by sgtponzihater1(m): 4:17pm On Aug 22, 2023
akube34:
I still don’t understand why a parent will tell u who not to marry. For Christ sake, marry who you want, if it doesn’t work, it’s fine. You are not the first. Divorce is not bad. You guys talk like dis marriage thing na do or die affair. If I marry a woman that wants to kill me, I go divorce am straight. Let him make his mistake and learn

No problem bro.

Christ thinks divorce is bad and gave only one exception for it. No one should go into marriage with divorce in mind. God hates it, and it complicates life not just for the parties, but children if they are involved. This is for a Christian marriage, and does not account for all marriages.

That said, I would still advice people to desist from marrying a man or woman against their parents will, as there is generally wisdom with old age. As smart as believe I am, I am humble enough to accept that my parents have seen much more than I have. This is my opinion and people can choose to accept it or run along with what they feel.

All the best

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by akube34: 4:22pm On Aug 22, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

No problem bro.

Christ thinks divorce is bad and gave only one exception for it. No one should go into marriage with divorce in mind. God hates it, and it complicates life not just for the parties, but children if they are involved. This is for a Christian marriage, and does not account for all marriages.

That said, I would still advice people to desist from marrying a man or woman against their parents will, as there is generally wisdom with old age. As smart as believe I am, I am humble enough to accept that my parents have seen much more than I have. This is my opinion and people can choose to accept it or run along with what they feel.

All the best

no one wished for divorce. But please reply to this question. Would you still remain in a marriage dat wants to kill you? Well maybe you are a church person but I am not
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SURElee(f): 7:00pm On Aug 22, 2023
Blaze14k

post=125273932:

I have done a proper research and found out she's not osu.

I have said my own.
Leave that girl for a man who will marry her into a family so she will not have to fight for love and acceptance.
Your family doesn't want her.

The ball is in the court of that girl to either end up with you and cry, fast, and pray for love to conquer your entire
family accepting her.
A wise female knows to go where she is celebrated

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 7:25pm On Aug 22, 2023
SURElee:

I have said my own.
Leave that girl for a man who will marry her into a family so she will not have to fight for love and acceptance.
Your family doesn't want her.

The ball is in the court of that girl to either end up with you and cry, fast, and pray for love to conquer your entire
family accepting her.
A wise female knows to go where she is celebrated

I understand what u are saying very well. The issue is that my mum want me to marry someone she found for me. I can't really disclose the detail here but they want me to marry a doctor for a purpose and I don't want it due to some personal reason.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Austino50: 7:58pm On Aug 22, 2023
you better hear word now o before its too late for you, there are many girls around
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Spiritz: 8:50pm On Aug 22, 2023
[quote author=Blaze14k post=125235First I am a full blood Ohafia man to even think a girl from Elu the head of Ohafia clan is referred as an Osu is insulting, We are all free born never in our history did we practiced anything like Osu, we have a strong history and generation of warriors who dare enslave any of us? Aro on the other hand is one of the greatest Igbo clan the history of Igbo cannot be complete with out them which we proudly practice would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Spiritz: 8:58pm On Aug 22, 2023
[quote author=Blaze14k post=125235First I am a full blood Ohafia man to even think a girl from Elu the head of Ohafia clan is referred as an Osu is insulting, We are all free born never in our history did we practiced anything like Osu, we have a strong history and generation of warriors who dare enslave any of us? Aro on the other hand is one of the greatest Igbo clan the History of Igbo nation is not complete without them
Mybe ur mom is just a Christian worried about our traditional practice not even In Elu but in deep Ohafia villagees like mine which doesn't harm anyone yet I have a sister married in far away Enugu

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 9:21pm On Aug 22, 2023
Spiritz:
[quote author=Blaze14k post=125235First I am a full blood Ohafia man to even think a girl from Elu the head of Ohafia clan is referred as an Osu is insulting, We are all free born never in our history did we practiced anything like Osu, we have a strong history and generation of warriors who dare enslave any of us? Aro on the other hand is one of the greatest Igbo clan the History of Igbo nation is not complete without them
Mybe ur mom is just a Christian worried about our traditional practice not even In Elu but in deep Ohafia villagees like mine which doesn't harm anyone yet I have a sister married in far away Enugu

Thanks for you contribution it will go a long way for me.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SavageResponse(m): 9:39pm On Aug 22, 2023
Jman06:
That is not the case!

The whole thing is the greediness of humans at play!
"Greediness" is not a word grin
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SavageResponse(m): 11:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
SLOVFO:

I suspect that the OP must be from the Orlu zone of Imo state. Imo state people are generally obsessed with this Osu thing. Una carry am for head like gala. I have had such an experience first hand. It always starts with the OSU thing...the simple truth is that your mother doesn't want you to marry that lady for reasons best known to her. Your mum may not like (and accept) the culture of Ohafia people. And of course, their culture differs from that of the place where you are coming from.

You're taking this thing too personal, it would appear you're an osu
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SavageResponse(m): 11:08pm On Aug 22, 2023
Blaze14k:

You are very much accurate with ur write up. Funny thing is she want me to marry someone that studied medicine. And it should be her choice which I strongly reject as well. So right now it's a deadlock between us

Are you the only son?
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by BALLOSKI: 2:31am On Aug 23, 2023
Macphenson:

You are a big fool fod bringing biafra into this. I guess you areamong those thier ancestors fell from heaven. Yeye dey smell.
useless agitation.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by POWERFULGOD: 7:07am On Aug 23, 2023
SonOfEl:

Can't you make a point without trying to project your Anambra state as better than others? What sort of low-key inferiority complex is this?

You are the one feeling Low-key inferiority complex here, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings but Anambrians always ahead.....
Oh I never say I'm from Anambra state...
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Adims1996: 8:40am On Aug 23, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

Ohafia people are not Osu, they are typical Igbo people, Igbo bu Igbo maybe she has other reasons, probably witch craft or black magic reasons.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SURElee(f): 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2023
Blaze14k:

I understand what u are saying very well. The issue is that my mum want me to marry someone she found for me. I can't really disclose the detail here but they want me to marry a doctor for a purpose and I don't want it due to some personal reason.

Now you are talking.
If you are man enough, stick.to your plan and who you love not your mother picking for you.

He that findeth, not he who a wife e as picked for.

Igbo women always wanted to pick a wife their son must marry for their own selfish purpose and who they can control.

When you stick to your plan to marry who you love, protect your wife against your family because there will be war and battle for supremacy o

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

10_signs_that_a_girl_likes_you There Are Some Common Signs, Are They / The Amazing Power Of The Kitchen And The Other Room. / Guys, What Is The Greatest Lie A Woman Has Ever Told You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.