Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators (22126 Views)

Prepare For Mass Protest Over Subsidy Scam, Soyinka Tells Nigerians-nan / Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation / A Comparative Analysis Of Nigerian Legislators‘ Earnings With Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by texazzpete(m): 11:20am On Dec 19, 2011
The mistake many of you semi-literate people make is that you think the bill is only about same-sex marriage.

You can ban same-sex marriage all you like, the US Govt does not support or recognize it, neither does the UK or 99% of other countries in the world.

What Soyinka dislikes (and what Obama, cameron et al are condemning) is the criminalization of the same-sex act in itself to the tune of 14 years in prison. What two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is nobody's business.

The Bible and the Quran also strongly condemns pre-marital sex. I don't see any of you hypocrites calling for imprisonment for fornication.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by mustspin: 11:57am On Dec 19, 2011
^^^ lol,@ semi-literate but remember that he who thinks he's wisest is the bigger fool. dont be surprised if ur so- called semi-literate are smarter than you. egocentric gay grin grin grin grin
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by mekaboy(m): 11:59am On Dec 19, 2011
TUFIAKWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! ALUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! ABOMINATION .

WOLE DON SHEET FOR CHURCH.

WHICH KIN YEYE HUMAN RIGHT? SO IF FATHERS DECIDE TO START SLEEPING WITH THEIR OWN DAUGHTERS AND MARRYING THEM ITS OK BECAUSE ITS WHAT THEY DECIDE TO DO IN THEIR BEDROOM.

ASSUMING TOMOROW THERE IS A BILL TO SUPPORT A FATHER TO SLEEP WITH HIS DAUGHTER AND PAY HER BRIDE PRICE IF HE WANTS AFTER ALL HE GAVE BIRTH TO HER. WOLE WILL SAY  ITS NOT FOR LEGISLATORS.

THIS IS HOW SODOM AND GOMORA BEGAN, WHEN PEOPLE BEGAN TO WORSHIP THEIR ON KNOWLEDGE AND SAID THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT THEY ARE THEIR OWN GOD.

THE LEGISLATORS HAVE DONE WELL TO REMOVE NIGERIANS FROM THE LIST OF COUNTRY THAT WILL INCUR THE WRATH OF GOD SOON.

THE US NOW ALLOWS THEIR SOLDIERS TO SLEEP WITH ANIMALS, SOON THEY WILL ASK NIGERIANS TO ALLOW CITIZENS TO SLEEP WITH ANIMALS THAT ITS THEIR RIGHT.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 19, 2011
texazzpete:

The mistake many of you semi-literate people make is that you think the bill is only about same-sex marriage.

You can ban same-sex marriage all you like, the US Govt does not support or recognize it, neither does the UK or 99% of other countries in the world.

What Soyinka dislikes (and what Obama, cameron et al are condemning) is the criminalization of the same-sex act in itself to the tune of 14 years in prison. What two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is nobody's business.

The Bible and the Quran also strongly condemns pre-marital sex. I don't see any of you hypocrites calling for imprisonment for fornication.

Thank you jare, Nigerians are the biggest hypocrites ever, a society full of all the evil of this world and we deceive ourselves that we are religious. A bunch of fornicators, adulterers, thieves, murderers and so on talking about morality, what do Nigerians know about morality, mschew.  Is embezzling a part of our culture?  because i don't see members of the senate giving those 14yrs imprisonment but i guess you can never imprison yourself.  I don't support gay people but their activities don't concern me and all the people quoting scriptures have you forgotten what Jesus said when they wanted to stone the adulterous woman, " he without sin should cast the 1st stone". Sure with the type of lack of reasoning i see here if some Nigerians were there they would have concluded that Jesus was also an adulterer for him to want to protect the rights of one!

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by phreakabit(m): 12:03pm On Dec 19, 2011
[size=14pt]“The legislators need to go back to school to learn the difference before they waste their time with what people do in their private bedrooms.”[/size]
                                                                                                                                  [size=13pt] - Wole Soyinka[/size]
                                                                                                                                  Renowned Cultist, Human rights activist and gay. . .
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by phreakabit(m): 12:08pm On Dec 19, 2011
texazzpete:

Exact reason I am in absolute support of it! What is your take on the outlawing of the practice of polygamy in the Western world ( I am not a supporter of Polygamy btw) ? I see A LOT of consent involved in polygamy.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by mekaboy(m): 12:16pm On Dec 19, 2011
YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THAT SAME SEX IS NOT SAME AS FORNICATION OR ADULTRY- THIS IS THE SYSTEM OF THE "ANTI- CHRIST" THE SYSTEM THAT IS RULING THIS WORLD, THE SYSTEM OF THE DEVIL. THE SYSTEM THAT ONLY WANTS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT GOD CREATED.

IF GOD CREATED MAN FOR WOMAN- THE SYSTEM WANTS MAN FOR MAN- WOMAN FOR WOMAN OR MAN FOR ANIMAL.

GOD CREATED PEACE THE SYSTEM FUNDS AND SUPPORT WAR.

THE SYSTEM OF THIS WORLD, THE SYSTEM OF THE DEVIL- ANTI TO CHRIST.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 19, 2011
SIN IS SIN and ALL SINS COME FROM THE DEVIL!!! THere is no deference between a liar, a fornicator or a gay man stop decieving yourselves, if God comes back and meets you doing any of these things you will all go to the same place. No special hell for gay people.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 19, 2011
Soyinka is only trying to find relevance.

To everyone saying that the senators have nothing better to do, I think you guys should re-think. The African/Nigerian core is based on the family unit. You are products of a good culture. It is important that we protect it for the good of our children. It is a very important bill - VERY important.

You can be a gay outside Nigeria- it's all about choice but as far as it concerns Nigeria steer clear of every attempt to instill order and sanity in The Family System in Nigeria.

One Man, One Woman or you stay celibate. do not corrupt our kids.

Soyinka, please concentrate on other things.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 19, 2011
when will our lawmakers pass a bill to make adultrery criminal wink wink wink
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by MrCork17: 12:39pm On Dec 19, 2011
man Nyansh man. who cares! undecided
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by ebere1712: 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2011
Sentiments - another disease in the mirage of diseases suffered by my fellow country men.
Let me start by saying that I blame the foreigners that just couldn't keep their mouths shut. Now they have helped african leaders; who are inherently useless and known for their mental diseases, find a fan base in their poor populace who have no capability to think objectively. What is this talk about culture and religion. What culture and religion are we talking about. Are these the same ones that we all now are foreign to africa and some of our forefathers were forced to adopt? What culture are we talking about because the last time I checked Nigeria has a varied and vastly disparate culture. This is an attack on the civil and human rights of, not only gay people, but the entire Nigerian populace. Wait till it starts to bite you in the as.s. Even your bible (for the christians) say that you reap what you sow. You have sown discrimination for a minority, you would reap discrimination. I trust the Nigerian police to cash in on this. You don't like gays, fine but mind your business. Whilst we at it why don't we ban christianity and islam because they are both un african, cause a lot of rift between communities of both religions, lead to progroms, cause hate crimes, was forced on us, has held us back both politically and economically, is an affront to the decency of the statues of our forefathers. We should also ban english and jeans because they are foreign menace to
out society. In fact why don't we form a "sharia like" society where we can tell grown women what to wear.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by ebere1712: 1:04pm On Dec 19, 2011
mekaboy:

YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THAT SAME SEX IS NOT SAME AS FORNICATION OR ADULTRY- THIS IS THE SYSTEM OF THE "ANTI- CHRIST" THE SYSTEM THAT IS RULING THIS WORLD, THE SYSTEM OF THE DEVIL. THE SYSTEM THAT ONLY WANTS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT GOD CREATED.

IF GOD CREATED MAN FOR WOMAN- THE SYSTEM WANTS MAN FOR MAN- WOMAN FOR WOMAN OR MAN FOR ANIMAL.

GOD CREATED PEACE THE SYSTEM FUNDS AND SUPPORT WAR.

THE SYSTEM OF THIS WORLD, THE SYSTEM OF THE DEVIL- ANTI TO CHRIST.

Yet another typical African spitting sentimental unprovable gibberish. Please people try to be objective.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by ebere1712: 1:07pm On Dec 19, 2011
mikeansy:

when will our lawmakers pass a bill to make adultrery criminal wink wink wink
I wont be surprised if they do grin these jesters have a huge fan base.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by gbewu: 1:11pm On Dec 19, 2011
Wole is one of the people that propagate this gay of a thing. It is high time we understood people that are in occult world and succeeding in their different endeavour. They bend down to different gods  in their occultic world  before fame could evenlop them. Therefore, they find it difficult to go against what really involved in satanic sphere.  

I pity we that are nothing but pencil in the hand of creator.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by numo86(m): 1:13pm On Dec 19, 2011
it has always been said dat d wisdom of this world is foolishness with our creator, with all d school soyinka went to he stil cannot understand that our morality is 1 thing we are to safeguard, proverbs says grey headedness when its not in confirmity wit Gods ways is foolishness, what will wole soyinka teach young kidsthat becos bein gay or engagin in gay acts is private so people can jus go on wit it even if they can be helpeddoesnt posterity tell soyinka that d earlier this madness is curbed d better for our children children, there shuld always be a limit to our ambitions if not we all mite end up like soyinka, goin to school is not all that matters, soyinka who has all d human wisdom bt does nt even knw God & respect his standards, vanity!!!,
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by ebere1712: 1:14pm On Dec 19, 2011
The feed back to the dumb representatives from the Nigerian populace with regards to this bill is huge. We have just given them a pat on the back for debating and legistlating morality. This is the next big thing. Next laws would seek to outlaw adultery and fornication, then they would try to outlaw night clubs and bars, then a dress code laws and before we know it, we are all wearing hijabs.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by toorich: 1:17pm On Dec 19, 2011
Very absurd and myopic for a celebrated personality who should be a role model and a voice for our cultural and moral values to support such moral perversion in a country like Nigeria. in his earthly wisdom, he calls it private affair. My Question for the prof is this: is there a criminal escapade that wasn't conceived as a private affair? Name a crime or an outbreak that didn't come from people's private businesses? Prof should have an answer with his experience and achievement in instituting cultism in our schools that has made beast out of youths that should have employed their minds to improving our society, That was your private business dear professor and we are all reaping mischief,crime and chaos publicly today.
Secondly,AIDs came into existence when men chose to privately have intercourse with their private animals, that was their private affairs too since they are adults and shouldn't bother anyone else or the legislative powers who knew the imminent effects, hope the professor still feels right about private adult affairs.
Thirdly, the professor wrote books that were and are still used in our schools. Most of those books promoted the rich cultural and moral values of the ethnic and religious practice and believe in Nigeria, on these literary works the professor was awarded a laurel and renowned. I think if professor had remained in his line of thought, he wouldn't have made these statement, hence I feel a strong need for the professor to return to the school of his glory years. If otherwise, we will know most of his books were all hypocrisy which he didn't mean or have any regard. Its either of these two ways
Finally, let us and the professor remember that the boko haram sect started as a bunch of adults who exercised their right to private ideologies within their private huts. The professor should know better.
Didn't even the holy book say man in his highest wisdom is foolishness before the almighty. Even the common Nigerian can perceive the folly of professor's arguement
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Homonide: 1:21pm On Dec 19, 2011
Even though i am a big fan of the good old Prof, i think he got it all wrong this time round. If he had taken his time to read the bill, he surely would have realized that it was not about what adults do in the private of their homes, but what they do in the public and in the open.
It is most unfortunate that a good number of people on this forum (and some Nigerians in extension) are always willing to swallow what supposedly respected opinion formers like Soyinka say hook, line, and sink. GOD gave us the ability to think, reason, and make informed decisions based on that. That is why we humans are called "higher animals". What a shame!
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by aribisala0(m): 1:29pm On Dec 19, 2011
We like to deceive ourselves A LOT. There are already many homosexuals in Nigeria and there always have been. This is true of virtually every country.
The idea that homosexuality is Oyinbo culture is an attractive one but it is not borne out by facts.
The idea that Africans value the family unit more than others is a ridiculous one.
Every society loses some of its core values with industrialization/urbanization and as more women go out to work and start "winning bread" this is a universal phenomenon just that it is happening rather late in Africa.

I do not agree with the logic that bedroom activities are entirely private and as such should be exempt from government scrutiny but really i do not think crimes should be punished based on the degree of revulsion or disgust they evoke. That is if homosexuality should be a crime. However there must be some principled basis to such intervention e.g public health or even erosion of values etc NOT "i find it disgusting"  

One question though is why are people so emotional and angry when discussing this particular issue. If we were to have a league table of crimes for me violation of a woman by a man is ten times more serious and MORE COMMON in Nigeria. So what are we doing about that. Well we tend to hate what we fear many men do not seem to trust their heterosexuality enough. In that context i find the 14 year penalty strange. One thing is for sure though we dot not have the resources to police what is already a crime now (we must remember this new law has only passed senate and not House of reps) even without fresh legislation. In the worst case scenario if it must be a crime it should NOT carry a greater penalty than prostitution
I submit that it is being treated in the same way as bigamy laws. It is a problem for the gay people and those shouting that they be burned I.E DEAD BODY AND THE OWNER OF DEAD BODY. I rather suspect that Wole Soyinka spoke with the knowledge that saying otherwise would hurt him financially and otherwise given the power of the gay lobby in the USA or maybe he is a genuine convert to liberalism but in fairness he did not stray into advocacy.Certainly if we are to educate our children against this practice(if that is actually possible) we should endeavour to do it without the language of hate . If not for anything for reasons of self preservation

There is a theory that everyone on a subconscious level has gay impulses(others call it the devil maybe we are half god and half devil grin) and that those who are most afraid of these subliminal impulses are the MOST STRIDENT in shouting for the public flogging and beheading of gay people a kind of  REACTION FORMATION as psychologists would call it.
As it is most people do not eat poo and if a Nigerian came home and saw a loved one eating poo first they would likely say the person has been jazzed and they would feel a range of emotions ;perhaps revulsion and pity but not hate. That is how i feel about homosexuality punishing them serves no useful purpose and as such is a form of cruelty but we are cruel people anyway
By all means let us pity gay people and stop them from promoting or propagating the lifestyle but all this hate will achieve NOTHING.
We all know their numbers are growing and this law will change nothing. For those shouting Western Culture  ; the words gay,pansy or homo are NOT Nigerian words neither are they terms of endearment. The act was criminal in most of the western world until about 50 years ago and they were banned from the US Army until Bill Clinton. In fact in the WHO manual ICD-9 it was classed as a mental disorder. We inherited a penal code from the British at Independence that criminalized it which is still on our books.Evidently the British changed their laws after our independence.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by cap28: 1:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
Hmm that money he's making at that american university must really be hitting the spot.

first of all he endorsed the NTC despite the atrocities they committed against his own people now he has come again with endorsing homo.sexual rights - its so true that every man has his price.

Soyinka has shown that he is not above being bought.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Baawaa(m): 1:35pm On Dec 19, 2011
[table]Please friends is the Professor married or not, because i have never read a story about his wife or children, Confraternity is making dis man go Insane , with Respect[/table]

Wole Shoyinka has more than seven wives,
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by aribisala0(m): 1:40pm On Dec 19, 2011
it really is NOT accurate to say he endorsed anything.

he did nothing of the sort
if i say i do not agree with roasting thieves alive does that mean i endorse stealing
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by aribisala0(m): 1:42pm On Dec 19, 2011
most of the gay men in Nigeria are married so what does being married prove or disprove?
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Kinikini: 1:45pm On Dec 19, 2011
With due respect, the proff got it wrong.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Baawaa(m): 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2011
As a matter of fact Professor Wole Shoyinka should be taking to Bishop Ayedepo for deliverance.If Oyedepo slap him,he will tell the whole that he is a  grin grin ;Dgay
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by aribisala0(m): 1:49pm On Dec 19, 2011
how would nigerians react if they say 14 years jail for any one caught doing business with an ashawo
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by klas(m): 1:51pm On Dec 19, 2011
Quote from Ima Eyez
My frend! Polygamy & Polyandry have direct effects on the society, Economically and otherwise. Comparing the above with the issue on ground is "false analogy"   since homosexuality only has an indirect effect, Like every other normal practices. Ya'll need to drop dat argument.

@ Ima Eyez. Educate us on direct effect of polygamy & polyandry. Overpopulation?, immorality? What about homosexuality? underpopulation or no population?

If human beings stop reproducing, what happen to human race? What happen to economic development where you have declining population?

Even you writing here, sure you are not a product of same sex marriage. Mind you what the Senate bill criminalises is same sex marriage not homosexuality itself. Homosexuality had always been a criminal offence under penal code even during colonial rule
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Orikinla(m): 1:52pm On Dec 19, 2011
Please, tell KONGI that I am 100% against Homosexuality and Same Sex Marriage.

By the way, I can cure any lesbian within 24.
Every lesbian deserves a good fork by a real man.
No lesbian spends 24 hours with me and remains the same.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by phreakabit(m): 1:54pm On Dec 19, 2011
gbewu:

Wole is one of the people that propagate this gay of a thing. It is high time we understood people that are in occult world and succeeding in their different endeavour. They bend down to different gods  in their occultic world  before fame could evenlop them. Therefore, they find it difficult to go against what really involved in satanic sphere.  

I pity we that are nothing but pencil in the hand of creator.

Some people Na confirm BIRO even parker pen in the hands of the devil. . . I.E : F@gs
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 19, 2011
Well, if you g-ay or straight, how does that affect me? Our legislators ought to worry about issues like security, bad roads, corruption, power-failures, e.t.c. It's purely waste of time and energy worrying about things that aren't paramount to our immediate concerns. Sometime ago, our legislators were deliberating on whether to make prostitution legal.

'Trust our law-makers to always concentrate on trivialities'.

Isn't it a shame that as a nation, we can't figure out how to supply 24-hour uninterrupted power supply?

Isn't a shame that as a nation, we can't refine crude-oil for our consumption?  

Trust our law-makers to pass a law that bans  women wearing trousers in public, men holding women's hands, e.t.c.
Re: Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators by Joshcoli(m): 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2011
Hey Mr Wole Oga, this time arround you are wrong, Its against our tradition, we dont want anybody to introduce
any rubbish into our system,
Homosexualism is a Virus
and we will surely fight it out of our system

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari Meets With Justin Welby, The Archbishop Of England (Photos) / Shettima Visits Saraki Over Ali Ndume's Suspension (Photos) / Adamu Garba Absent In Court For $1 Billion Suit Against Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.