Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,914 members, 7,956,430 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:50 AM

Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka (19162 Views)

Retired Generals Jostle For Civil Defence Top Job — Leadership Newspaper / PDP Heading For Self Destruction – Mark / Soyinka - APC’s Visit To Obasanjo: Nigeria Heading For Shipwreck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Katsumoto: 4:04am On Jan 11, 2012
Onlytruth:

ShangoThor , I hear you.

Sam_Ikenna, good head.

Katsumoto, I like the new you; though I don't believe any new war would resemble the last one.  cool

Olodostein, I was so wrong about you before. To ever think you were ndu_chucks! shocked shocked

I don't believe I suggested that a new war would be similar to an old one. My comment was directed at all Nigerians and not Ndigbo.

Rgp92:

Long time ago(about 100-150 year ago), there was something call Yoruba civil war and fulani invasion of yorubaland. This war was mainly between Yoruba Ifa worshippers and Yoruba/fulani jihadist muslims. Non won the war, the outcome was total colonization of yorubaland by Britian. From that point on, Yorubas learn that in a civil war, foreign country who isnt involved in the war always win.

You are mixing different events up.

The Fulani defeat by Ibadan under Oluyole occured in 1840. Before that war there were several wars between Yoruba States such as Oyo vs Owu, Oyo vs Egbe/Ijebu, and several after that such as Ibadan vs Ijaiye and the Kiriji war. The Kiriji war is often referred to as the Yoruba civil war because it involved all the Yoruba states and was fought mainly by Ibadan against Ijesha/Ekiti/Ife lasting approximately 16 years. That war ended in a stalemate until the British (under Captain Bower) brokered peace in 1892.

There has never been a religious war in Yorubaland. Even the several wars between Oyo/Ibadan against Ilorin/Sokoto were not motivated by religion; they were cultural. Afonja didn't become a Muslim after joining up with the Fulani.

Just needed to clear that up.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Akanbiedu(m): 4:26am On Jan 11, 2012
Katsumoto:

I don't believe I suggested that a new war would be similar to an old one. My comment was directed at all Nigerians and not Ndigbo.

You are mixing different events up.

The Fulani defeat by Ibadan under Oluyole occured in 1840. Before that war there were several wars between Yoruba States such as Oyo vs Owu, Oyo vs Egbe/Ijebu, and several after that such as Ibadan vs Ijaiye and the Kiriji war. The Kiriji war is often referred to as the Yoruba civil war because it involved all the Yoruba states and was fought mainly by Ibadan against Ijesha/Ekiti/Ife lasting approximately 16 years. That war ended in a stalemate until the British (under Captain Bower) brokered peace in 1892.

There has never been a religious war in Yorubaland. Even the several wars between Oyo/Ibadan against Ilorin/Sokoto were not motivated by religion; they were cultural. Afonja didn't become a Muslim after joining up with the Fulani.

Just needed to clear that up.

I thought he invited the Fulanis because he was muslim. So he wasn't a muslim.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Katsumoto: 4:35am On Jan 11, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

I thought he invited the Fulanis because he was muslim. So he wasn't a muslim.

He invited Alimi who was known in Yorubaland as a man with charms. He needed charms as he had rebelled against Alaafin Aole. It was Alimi's son Abdulsalam who betrayed Afonja after Alimi's death by calling for the flag of the Emirate of Gwandu (an emirate under the caliphate).
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Akanbiedu(m): 6:02am On Jan 11, 2012
Was Alimi a ruler, apart from being powerful? Was he fulani?
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by LogicMind: 7:28am On Jan 11, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

I have long known that southerners are a bunch of joke. With all the education we have we still cant find our way out of this sinking ship called Nigeria. Most people on this site spend awful amount of time telling others what is good for them, in fact out of frustration they have resorted to insults because their audience seem to be un-moved. Seems like slave master's game plan if you know what I mean (remember Kunta Kinte). To drive home my point, we all know our great prof Soyinka is right and to hide under any guise; be it ethnicity or otherwise is plain foolishness. Time to seek freedom and happiness is now, any more minute we spend castigating Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa-Fulani, Ijaw, Isoko etc is a minute spent in misery.

I urge all people of Lower Nigeria that have always cherished freedom, peace, love, and collaborative competition amongst eachother to take a moment and think of the future of their children. Do you think Nigeria as it's currently constituted is capable of delivering peace and harmony to your children? Do you think beating down your fellow peaceful, educated, freedom seeking, and business minded southerner be he Yoruba, Igbo, Ijaw, etc is going to solve our problem? Winning internet war against Igbo or Yoruba isn't it furtile given that both groups have never and will never declare war on each other? Of all ethnic groups in Nigeria there is only one ethnic group that has either fought or initiated war against the rest in different times in our history and we all know that group does not belong to Lower Nigeria.

While its correct to say Yorubas, Igbos, Ijaws, Isokos, Beroms, etc would rather want independent nations of their own than to live in another new Nigeria with new lords and masters, it's also correct to say that the first and wisest thing for them to do is to form a unified front and break from Nigeria. After the break whoever decides to form alliance with whomever is free to do so and whoever wants to stay as a separate republic is also free. I understand there will always be tribalists in Yoruba and Igbo who will never like eachother even if their heavenly salvation depends on it, but must your hate for eachother surpass your love for your children? Have you not heard of strategic partnership? In fact to buttress the point further with the recent USA cable release, we all saw that Saudi Arabia is in bed with Israel because of Iranian nuclear program but is any one here in doubt of Saudi's eternal hate for Israel?

Guys, guys pls, I am Igbo but I love my people more than I hate Yorubas or any other ethnic group and for that I would be an eternal fool not to cooperate with anyone in areas of common interest. Nigeria isn't going to work not because its Hausa's fault or Igbo/Yoruba's fault but rather foundational fault. We are diametrically opposed in our orientation, politics, world out-look, education, and even religion. Is it any wonder why core north gave Osama Bin laden the highest support during 9/11? Igbo nor Yoruba didn't make core north give Osama Bin Laden this epic support but somehow this supposedly educated group have continued to act blind in the face of reality.

In Nigeria today no body is winning lest no one beat his chest. In honesty I think southern Nigeria has helped core north miss out on their God given potentials, I have no doubt that if and when core north stays on their own they stand a chance of given their people the prosperity, orientation, and proper Islamic studies that their political thieves have denied them, in fact the north, in a short period, will know so much peace that would rival Switzland. What we see today as Boko haram are deadly thugs been used by power hungry few who will be properly side-lined in the new Hausa-Fulani republic. Therefore my secular peace and freedom loving Lower Nigerian fellows, the time has come for us carve out our own future. This deadly future carved by the British isn't working rather it has brought hate and civil war to all of us. Time has come for us to either renegotiate it or disband it totally and in doing so lets do it out of love for our children and also for the children of core north.

It's true it hurts to let go a people or a group that have really injured you so much, sometimes you want to extract some pound of flesh so bad that you don't even see you are becoming insane, however, in this case we have to love our children more than that "enemy." I watched a documentary on Latin American peoples sometime ago where a female senator (Mayan) was cooperating with an ex-president (now a senator too) who committed genocide on Mayan people, it was humbling to see how calm and composed she was during the whole process. Brothers time has come to throw away this old un-ending Bosom-for-tat and bickering because innocent lives are at stake here and those lives deserve better from Igbo and Yoruba.

This is exactly the type of naive thinking that put Igbos in the situation they are in today. Please look at our history, at least the recent one where Ojukwu thinking exactly like you trusted the yorubas to make the wise decision. He even made a Yoruba man the commander of the western front and was consequently betrayed in Ore. He trusted Awolowo and was also betrayed. Sam Aluko recently confessed to betraying him to his Northern masters.

We cannot have any alliance with a people that cannot be trusted. A people that are as cowardly as they come. I mean look at their crying general for fu.cks sake.
If we will seperate, it has to be from the yorubas as well and I am thinking of my children and grand children while saying this. We and the yorubas have no areas of common interest as they follow whichever way the wind blows.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by exotik: 8:27am On Jan 11, 2012
Even the several wars between Oyo/Ibadan against Ilorin/Sokoto were not motivated by religion; they were cultural.

so how do u seperate religion from culture?

Afonja didn't become a Muslim after joining up with the Fulani.

could be the reason why he was eliminated.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by SamIkenna: 8:48am On Jan 11, 2012
@Logic Mind: Ndigbo (precisely Obowu people) si "ede nwere ihe ohuru bee nwii." My brother pls tap down your anger and look at the bigger picture. All ethnic groups in nigeria will forever remain neighbors therefore I see no strategic gain in designating them enemies. Yoruba and Igbo are big players in Nigeria and by extension West Africa and that trend will likely continue therefore, it makes no sense in not working with them in areas of common interest. I'm not suggesting a naive alliance ok, I'm advocating for a strategic partnership to rid ourselves of the weight we've been sharing since 1914. We already have the core north breathing down our neck, the last thing we need is to alienate a potential ally. I know the line I'm advocating may not be popular because some of us probably have experienced some kind of hate from other ethnic groups but thats besides the point. The main point is that Yoruba cant secede alone neither is Igbo currently ready to do so because they don't want a repeat of 67-70, therefore don't you think it makes sense for both groups to start having some kind of underground dialogue? Brother I'm not here to sermonize on my life experience but if you see what I've seen you probably would want to try and build some alliance rather than alienate. The Nigerian mess has gone too far and its got to stop somehow, I bet Lord Lugard would be shocked to see us still fixing this dead locomotive.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by otokx(m): 8:55am On Jan 11, 2012
war is never the answer. GEJ is just not rising to the occasion.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by SamIkenna: 9:04am On Jan 11, 2012
interesting.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by victorazy(m): 9:04am On Jan 11, 2012
Nigeria can never fight war again
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 11, 2012
Are we not in war already ?
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by charlsecy4(m): 9:34am On Jan 11, 2012
NIGER DELTA REPUBLIC, REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA, ODUDUWA REPUBLIC,MIDDLE BELT REPUBLIC AND THE REPUBLIC OF NORTHERN NIGERIA. Five great nations from one great nation.

Let Thy Will be done!
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by SamIkenna: 9:42am On Jan 11, 2012
A people at war needs strategy, what is our strategy? Is our strategy to eliminate eachother before the enemy arrives? or should we pull our weights together for once and put out this fire that is hellbent in roasting all of us?

For once lets put aside our individual hate, ego, and arrogance and save our future. The population of Nigeria was around 50 million in 1960, today its 160-170 million and by 2050 we 'ld be counting maybe 280-350 million with our lands being over-used and oil probably gone; combustible mixture obviously. With this scenario one needs not a bearded prophet to predict the outcome [fulani will need more land for grazing - Berom would probably be exterminated - Ebonyi and Ekiti will become our new buffer zone]. We need Moses in Yoruba and Igbo now.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by islamrules(m): 9:47am On Jan 11, 2012
Your politicians are stealing your wealth
your brothers and sisters are dying through all kinds of avoidable deaths (boko haram, robbers, bad roads, ill-equipped hospitals, trigger-happy cops)
you have brothers and sisters who are going hungry
your infrastructure is non-existent
you are unable to adequately educate your youths and kids

These are real and present issues that need to be tackled, yet some are boasting about events (war) that are yet to occur and may not occur. SMDH
You are unable to plan and execute strategies to defeat these SERIOUS issues in peacetime, yet you believe that you will become Rommel, Montgomery, Genghis Khan, Patton, etc during wartime!!!!!!!!!

If you guys are not careful, you will descend into another senseless war, lose millions of lives and billions of property, and still end up as Nigerians.  Lips sealed

It is in the interest of all that you cease this immature Internet boasting and at least agree to part ways or decentralize the power at the centre.

The only sensible post I have seen
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 11, 2012
Alarmist!
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by ceejay80s(m): 9:59am On Jan 11, 2012
Remember what happened to USSR. Its very easy, we are over populated "167million" other oil producing countries like iran,kuwait,saudi etc are jus 10million to 20million' abeg make hausa go make we know hw many wey remain.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by andyanders: 10:03am On Jan 11, 2012
Joe is a useless individual with no brain to note that what he is fermenting is civil war. No right thinking human being will be behaving the way that animal called leader is doing right now.
He cannot prosecute the so called cabal, he cannot tackle the gboko haram, and he can now ONLY suffer Nigerians with Ngozi, Sanusi and Alison by removing fuel subsidy with flimsy excuses.

Let him be impeached. The worst president that this country EVER had.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by islamrules(m): 10:04am On Jan 11, 2012
War is the last thing we need. Boko-haram is just a tool used by some northern politicians. they do not represents the Hausas.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Kay1kay1(m): 10:06am On Jan 11, 2012
Many 'keyboard soldiers' here don't get the picture of war. Many have never seen bloodshed. Ask Liberia. Ask the veteran-peacekeepers who were there. Ask Somalia, Sudan.

Has anyone here clamoring for war seen where fire.arms are being traded like pureH20? Where your life (having a fire.arm) is more important than having something in your stomach?

My advice to the 'keyboard soldiers': Take a trip to war-zones, volunteer and learn first-hand.

Mr. President has to wake up. Unfortunately many of older generations (who laid the foundation of most of the mess) cannot be sought for advice. He needs to wake up. . . not seeking commen.dation from World.Bank, IM.F, the We.st, etc.

He needs to stand  and surround himself with good advisers (not just ivy-league degrees). Infrastructural development is what this nation needs. H20, electricity, healthcare, good roads and maintenance. These good things will attract other good things. . . smiley

Our population and diversity which are assets can be channelled in the right direction. . .
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by islamrules(m): 10:06am On Jan 11, 2012
Jonathan is a useless individual with no brain to note that what he is fermenting is civil war. No right thinking human being will be behaving the way that animal called the president is doing right now.
He cannot prosecute the so called cabal, he cannot tackle the [size=18pt]gboko haram[/size], and he can now ONLY suffer Nigerians with Ngozi, Sanusi and Alison by removing fuel subsidy with flimsy excuses.

Let him be impeached. The worst president that this country EVER had.

I think GEJ is covering up boko-haram sponsorer. GEJ/PDP are behind boko-haram.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by omoboy08(m): 10:24am On Jan 11, 2012
dis forum neve seize to b funny, instead of talkin abt hw to end d crisis we found ourselves, u r all argue abt war u neva experienced. U na neva know wot a war is. Ve neva experience one and i pray neva to in my lifetime.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by mikeb52: 10:28am On Jan 11, 2012
I think Nigeria problems is based on ethnicity not religion.If i may refer you back to what led to the assassination of general johnson aguiyi ironsi back in 1966 was simply ethnic differences and not religion.

Up till today Nigeria government structure is base on ethnicity but religion so i think we need to address the issue of ethnicity first not religion we we most stay as a nation.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 11, 2012
Prof u don talk am finish! Da nem sh-it and dem must pack the Sh-it
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Onlytruth(m): 10:31am On Jan 11, 2012
@Sam_Ikenna,

Great article by Adeoye.
Here is my take.

Adeoye was very correct with MOST of what he said, except that he was a little dishonest about the groups in the South.
He basically put every southern group in the same camp, and blamed them equally, but I know that Ndigbo have been the only group in the South that almost toppled the Hausa/Fulani hegemony in January 1966.
I know some would argue that Awo was more politically savvy than Zik before independence, and I would agree.
However, Awo never really understood the importance of the military to the power game. On the contrary, the East led by Igbo, dominated the officer corp of the armed forces in that era. So, that was one leg up. Where Adeoye was right is in the fact that if Aguiyi Ironsi were a Fulani, there is no way the Nzeogwu coup would have been wasted completely.
Ironsi failed woefully to understand the power he was handed. He died, still never understanding what killed him!
I would limit that naivety to Ironsi though, because Igbo led Eastern region fully understood these Fulani power games, and fought it to the bitter end during the civil war of 1967-70. It is the Southern groups that allied with Fulani that should be upbraided completely, because some of them still don't even understand what Biafra fought for.

I agree though that the fall of Hausa/Fulani power behemoth is inevitable, and I don't care where they go from there. I need peace in my backyard.  cool
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Faraidi(m): 10:34am On Jan 11, 2012
Yes, let the war start. And let see who will lose
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by LEXYLOV: 10:44am On Jan 11, 2012
Yeah its reality. If the government didn't take any decisive action to tackle the situation by improving security. Moreover not only to bribe dead BH leader family but to engage in a fierce battle with them and forget about the fuel subsidy remover but to offer good governance and make life simple for all Nigerians. BUT IT LOOK LIKE THAT CAN'T BE POSSIBLE THOUGH ' UNDER THE CURRENT CLUELESS INCOMPETENT FISHERMAN IN ASO VILLA.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 11, 2012
Kay1kay1:

Many 'keyboard soldiers' here don't get the picture of war. Many have never seen bloodshed. Ask Liberia. Ask the veteran-peacekeepers who were there. Ask Somalia, Sudan.

Has anyone here clamoring for war seen where fire.arms are being traded like pureH20? Where your life (having a fire.arm) is more important than having something in your stomach?

My advice to the 'keyboard soldiers': Take a trip to war-zones, volunteer and learn first-hand.

Mr. President has to wake up. Unfortunately many of older generations (who laid the foundation of most of the mess) cannot be sought for advice. He needs to wake up. . . not seeking commen.dation from World.Bank, IM.F, the We.st, etc.

He needs to stand  and surround himself with good advisers (not just ivy-league degrees). Infrastructural development is what this nation needs. H20, electricity, healthcare, good roads and maintenance. These good things will attract other good things. . . smiley

Our population and diversity which are assets can be channelled in the right direction. . .

You may dismiss it as "keyboard soldiers". How would you assume from your bucket that no one has taken a trip to war zones or experienced warfare? How many JUST war memorial and museum have you visited and acknowledged their JUST cause?

Why do you think you know everyone? Naivety at its finest.

Sometimes you can't negotiate with certain elements. You just can't.

Malcolm X said at one of his university lectures that "The racists only understand the violent language". If you unexpectedly find yourself in Russia or go for an official duty, you have to bear one thing in mind. Do not stay very close to the Metro tunnel especially as a black man. Or else, someone you think is REASONABLE might push you into it to be crushed by a coming train and NOTHING will happen. It can also happen to you in any part of western country where you have these unrepentant racists/skinheads. Now, how do you respond to such situation? In self defense or in Cowardice?

At the inception of America, when their revolutionaries tried to dialogue peacefully with the British empire without fruition:

Patrick Henry was forced to say, "Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death."
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by tpia5: 11:10am On Jan 11, 2012
@ topic

its possible.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by chuqudy(m): 11:13am On Jan 11, 2012
I wonder when this will happen. This country need be split for good. The shameful thing is that the poor and the illiterates especially hausas are always used by their northern politicians to cause confusion in the country. They want to make the country ungovernable because they failed to produce a president. This cannot continue. So it means that Nigeria can only be in peace if we have a Northern president. Well, I think the poor and illiterate hausas need to be educated. They should be made to understand what a nation means. They should know that as a nation any one is free to contest and rule if he wins. Failure to understand this, means that Nigeria should be divided into 2, Northern and Southern Nigeria. The problem with Nigeria is not religion but  ethnic. There would not have been all these Boko haram saga if a Christian Northerner won the presidential election.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 11, 2012
beaf u again, u are not tired with the damage u have caused.
Dont worry that u seek will become yours since your job in life is to cause destruction.you have used this medium to hound yar adua when he was dying.
You have used it to hound buhari
you have used it to spread tribal tension
now you are beating the drums of tribal wars.
If u and ur boss want division go ahead but enuf of the bloodshed
beaf i lay a curse on u n ur generation,may the curses of psalm 109 become urs from 2day.
May d sorrow u seek 4 others bcome urs.
Cursed one
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by OneNaira6: 11:18am On Jan 11, 2012
The SS and SE division tactics NL does can be annoying at a point
I am from SS and I'm Igbo.  Chyz, ezeagu, igboboy, etc are all SS Igbo.
Una need to stop trying to divide people ooh, it is not going to work no matter how much you try it.

^^^^^^@ OP
As long as SE and SS leaves Nigeria, I don't care what happens to Nigeria.
My only dream for Nigeria is getting us out of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by humblebee: 11:25am On Jan 11, 2012
simple as ABC, our present government is incompetent and its so shameful to hear them talk rubbish on tv with impediments. we need a more competent hand and Jonathan should either curb this security threats or resign. enough of blames on cabal and enemies of his government, they will obviously not stop so why live with it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Suicide Bombers Hit Borno Mosque / Nigeria Army Re-open Maiduguri - Bama - Banki Road Closed Becos Of Boko Haram(pi / PHCN Finally Privatised, NCP Announces Results Of Bids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.