Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,710 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka (19006 Views)

Retired Generals Jostle For Civil Defence Top Job — Leadership Newspaper / PDP Heading For Self Destruction – Mark / Soyinka - APC’s Visit To Obasanjo: Nigeria Heading For Shipwreck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Rgp92: 9:55pm On Jan 10, 2012
Abagworo:

Why is it that we never have Christian Muslim wars in Yorubaland? I believe Yorubas retained their deep rooted tradition despite the coming of Islam and Christianity.

Long time ago(about 100-150 year ago), there was something call Yoruba civil war and fulani invasion of yorubaland. This war was mainly between Yoruba Ifa worshippers and Yoruba/fulani jihadist muslims. Non won the war, the outcome was total colonization of yorubaland by Britian. From that point on, Yorubas learn that in a civil war, foreign country who isnt involved in the war always win.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 9:56pm On Jan 10, 2012
muyoto:

All those calling for a breakup of the country. . .be careful of what you wish for. that's all I can say.

people actually fought and died for it. so kini big deal
nigeria should disintegrate completely. after that let me see how a region with 98% literacy will beg food from a region with 30% literacy
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Beaf: 9:56pm On Jan 10, 2012
talknafree:

@beaf, funny enough me and you go be country men.

But then na me go finally drown you.

Traitors and regional sellots like you will be the first batch to go. We own the ND.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Nchara: 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2012
Abagworo:

Guy the only way we can have peaceful division is by having an all inclusive South. Your entirely Igbo country will not work because under the new country, we will discover our ethnic differences and the Nigera situation will start over again which will lead to demand by some for their own country.

The SS/SE/SW have all it takes to be successful. My only fear is the Middlebelt which is a volatile region like Kashmir.

Your observation applies to other groups too
Just a few e.g.s:

Ife-modakeke
Hausa-fulani
Ogoni-Okrika
Ijaw-Itsekiri

Are fighting/have fough each other

Each inter/intra group will have to sit and discuss how they will survive
The problem is that Nigerians have not really sat down to discuss cohabitation
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 10:02pm On Jan 10, 2012
Nchara:

Your observation applies to other groups too
Ife-modakeke
Hausa-fulani
Ogoni-Okrika
Ijaw-Itsekiri

Are fighting/have fough each other

Each inter/intra group will have to sit and discuss how they will survive
The problem is that Nigerians have not really sat down to discuss cohabitation

true dat
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by dayokanu(m): 10:06pm On Jan 10, 2012
Nchara:

Was that not what we wanted 40 or so years ago? Why did you join in stopping us?

Was that what you really wanted that inspired you to attack SW before you were stopped at Ore and then the brave Benjamin Adekunle drove the warlord to Abidjan to seek refugee status
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 10:07pm On Jan 10, 2012
[size=18pt]abeg cut us out of Nigeria! all these talks na diversion!! [/size]
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Nchara: 10:09pm On Jan 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Was that what you really wanted that inspired you to attack SW before you were stopped at Ore and then the brave Benjamin Adekunle drove the warlord to Abidjan to seek refugee status

Why was SW attacked?

The Nigerian army (Hausa, middle belt and Yoruba) attacked Biafra first. Yes or No?
The capital of Nigeria was in the SW
How do you want Biafra to stop the attack on her by Nigeria? To keep defending and not attack back?

BTW, what came first, the declaration of Biafra (and consequent attack by Nigeria) or the counter attack by Biafra?
Can you for once be logical?
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Nchara: 10:10pm On Jan 10, 2012
I dare the North and Yoruba to officially declare that Igbos should go today and see whether we will not.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 10:14pm On Jan 10, 2012
Nchara:

Why was SW attacked?

The Nigerian army (Hausa, middle belt and Yoruba) attacked Biafra first. Yes or No?
The capital of Nigeria was in the SW
How do you want Biafra to stop the attack on her by Nigeria? To keep defending and not attack back?

BTW, what came first, the declaration of Biafra (and consequent attack by Nigeria) or the counter attack by Biafra?
Can you for once be logical?

and for that he would say that biafra first declared war by declaring secession, and the unending ret-arded arguments begins again. why not just ignore the dude and focus on what you want for the east.

everybody is not gifted with logic
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Ayoolu12: 10:15pm On Jan 10, 2012
Nchara, as much as I despise boko haram, they have already asked igbos to leave the north, yet many would rather die than do so. So please stop the chest beating. Many igbos are addicted to the north and SW, and won't leave even at the point of death. I'm sure that if nigeria were to break up today, its the igbos that will have the hardest time returning to/staying in their region.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:16pm On Jan 10, 2012
Ayo-olu12:

Nchara, as much as I despise boko haram, they have already asked igbos to leave the north, yet many would rather die than do so. So please stop the chest beating. Many igbos are addicted to the north and SW, and won't leave even at the point of death. I'm sure that if nigeria were to break up today, its the igbos that will have the hardest time returning to/staying in their region.

are you minding him?
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by vedaxcool(m): 10:16pm On Jan 10, 2012
Soyinka analysis is partly on point, but again he heavily relies on conjecture and innuendos as facts, anybody can always accuse some faceless individuals of being behind boko haram, but it lies neither here nor there, the issue of bokoharam continues to defy logic, as Boko Haram has inflicted more casualty on northerners than southerners, displaced more muslims than christians, recent attacks on churches is more of an escalation of the crisis, the heart of the boko haram crisis lies on largely on leadership failure in the north and govt insincerity, the govt part in this whole pussle have long revealed itself right from when the boko attacks started, the prime suspect in all this is the ex governor of  bornu ali modu sherrif, it was him who made boko haram flourish, he remains on the boko haram hit list, all this if govt was run by sane individuals, would have been taken cognizance of, yet nobody seem to be intereted in demanding sensible govt behavior in dealing with BK. Soyinka will do well if he atimes resist in living by conjecture, in this horrible times individuals like him should be peddling rumor like a drunken fisherman.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 10:17pm On Jan 10, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

are you minding him?

i took a peep at your pic. yuck!
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by vedaxcool(m): 10:18pm On Jan 10, 2012
Nchara:

I dare the North and Yoruba to officially declare that Igbos should go today and see whether we will not.

the ibos will end up with a land lock country, I bet you guys will have to play nice with ND people to make your living a little bit convenient!
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 10:21pm On Jan 10, 2012
vedaxcool:

the ibos will end up with a land lock country, I bet you guys will have to play nice with ND people to make your living a little bit convenient!

why is everybody only concerned about igbo well being after we leave the nigerian basket case country?
why not worry about yourselves?
part of ND is part of igboland, live with it because we will make sure no one steals our land.
focus on your own survival
hypocrites
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by aljharem(m): 10:24pm On Jan 10, 2012
Ayo-olu12:

you have said it all

Division my a55

a large market is needed for traders especially the yoruba/igbo/hausa

The way Nigeria is is very very beneficial for all of us. Now the question is why are there some agents of division in Nigeria aka USA, UK,IMF, World bank, Isearl etc why beaf and co

[size=14pt]1. They want to sell old rusty weapons to us so we can kill each other and they make money off it just as they decieved Ojukwu to think he was a super hero

2. They want to occupy the oil rich region since they know they are stu.pid and would allow greed to get in the way of common sense. That is why groups like MEND could have High class weapons within few months

3. They want Ghana to be the new regional power in west africa since they Have oil now. Nigeria oil will soon finish

4. They want cheap labour from refugees and yes they would get it.[/size]
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by vedaxcool(m): 10:26pm On Jan 10, 2012
realchange:

why is everybody only concerned about igbo well being after we leave the nigerian basket case country?
why not worry about yourselves?
part of ND is part of igboland, live with it because we will make sure no one steals our land.
focus on your own survival
hypocrites

It is nice to see your freedom will live in perpetual war with its neighbors, nobody should steal your lands? lol, that simple phrase is why even if the country breaks most-bodies will not find peace because oh this is my land, and I forgot, my Ibo friends do tell me that there is real scarcity of land in the east, need i say more
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by dempeople(m): 10:28pm On Jan 10, 2012
When GEJ said Boko had infiltrated the govt., it was ofcourse a disclosure of a total lack of confidence of the security abilities of the country. I felt for the man cos we're really in a very hopeless situation which has reached tipping point.

There's indeed palpable fear everywhere with sky-level tensions.

At this stage and as simplistic as it may sound, a SNC could still save the day. At this conference, Ndigbo should opt out of the union entirely and SS should have a quick microscopic referendum to decide whether to join a Republic of Eastern Nigeria or do otherwise with a Niger Delta republic which might still collaborate with ndigbo to form a larger entity. Cross River would likely by default, join Ndigbo either way Niger Delta chooses.

If this doesn't materialize before a significant break down of law and order then we'll be looking at something quite nasty soon enough. Southern cities like Benin, Sapale and Warri are already on belligerent mode with many casualties recorded in Benin.

The govt. should tactfully arrest the situation by convening this SNC before a full scale war since they've lost control of security.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by ARareGem(f): 10:28pm On Jan 10, 2012
Civil war? Against who? Politicians? government officials? policemen/ the military? the president and his cabinet? Christians? Muslims? Who is fighting who? And why are we fighting? Are the masses not being used as pawns?

I wonder if it won't be best to put an end to the 'Nigerian project', or would it?

So many questions on my mind.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 10:31pm On Jan 10, 2012
vedaxcool:

It is nice to see your freedom will live in perpetual war with its neighbors, nobody should steal your lands? lol, that simple phrase is why even if the country breaks most-bodies will not find peace because oh this is my land, and I forgot, my Ibo friends do tell me that there is real scarcity of land in the east, need i say more

worry about your land. just don't cross into mine. simple.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by Gbawe: 10:34pm On Jan 10, 2012
The quickest way for everyone to get what they want , without bloodshed , Is for the FG , ASAP, to embrace a new direction that weakens the centre and renders it unattractive to those who see the Presidency as a way to control our commonwealth to the extent they are ready to butcher others to gain that position.

More power, responsibilities and autonomy should be devolved towards States and regions. Naturally, even as this will be the easiest solution that would work best and perhaps produce minimal bloodletting, this idea may be very difficult to ever actualise under a PDP Government because of the Party's devotion to overbearing central control via offices that unhealthily wield too much power and influence over the control of Nigeria's commonwealth. Weaning the old brigade of dependence on the 'juicy' offices will only become a reality if those offices are no longer 'juicy'.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by vedaxcool(m): 10:37pm On Jan 10, 2012
realchange:

worry about your land. just don't cross into mine. simple.

worry? hmm, i see you have poor analytical skills indeed, whether you and low life that think this country is going to break like it or not, the country will survive, even if it means starving anti Nigerian elements!
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by ektbear: 10:41pm On Jan 10, 2012
Rgp92:

From that point on, Yorubas learn that in a civil war, foreign country who isnt involved in the war always win.

This I think is the important lesson to learn from the events of the 1800s. Though in this case, the foreign power in my opinion is the Fulanis who Afonja decided to team up with.

It is better for us to settle any differences we have internally within Yorubaland (whether religious, political, etc) than to seek to involve third parties with their own agendas.

Btw, a copy of "The History of the Yorubas" is available for free download here: (http://www.archive.org/details/historyofyorubas00john).
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by asorocker: 10:53pm On Jan 10, 2012
I dont want to sound pessimistic but i think the first shots of th Civil war has already being fired by BokoHaram, The war will likely between the SE/SS and parts of MB versus the NW and NE, if only the SE and SS and plan very well and do their home work we can end up with a 6 day war ( another Yum kippur 2012.

I once predicted in this forum that the Axis of Power is rotating and it is not being rotated by men , actually with the economic rise of the Niger Delta nd ascenscion of Power of a Niger Deltan the Niger Delta now controls the Political and Economic power of the Nation (forget the deception yorubas have that the control nigerias economy what the yorubas control is lagos economy) The north that previously controled the political and military is now a second rated power.

The SE has a vantge position of being a Political ally of the New Power Block, i dont really see much the Arewa can do except use BH to torment igbos in their domain and the Middle Belt.
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 10:56pm On Jan 10, 2012
asorocker:

I dont want to sound pessimistic but i think the first shots of th Civil war has already being fired by BokoHaram, The war will likely between the SE/SS and parts of MB versus the NW and NE, if only the SE and SS and plan very well and do their home work we can end up with a 6 day war ( another Yum kippur 2012.

I once predicted in this forum that the Axis of Power is rotating and it is not being rotated by men , actually with the economic rise of the Niger Delta nd ascenscion of Power of a Niger Deltan the Niger Delta now controls the Political and Economic power of the Nation (forget the deception yorubas have that the control nigerias economy what the yorubas control is lagos economy) The north that previously controled the political and military is now a second rated power.

The SE has a vantge position of being a Political ally of the New Power Block, i dont really see much the Arewa can do except use BH to torment igbos in their domain and the Middle Belt.

very credible cool
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by dayokanu(m): 10:58pm On Jan 10, 2012
asorocker:

Basically the boy-boy have found another master.

How pathetic that those leeches cant live on their own.

Maintain your own region dont go about seeking forced union with ppl

The real parasites are showing their face

Like in Biafra when they forcefully annexed the SS, now its alliance by begging and boy-boyism

I laugh in Arochukwu
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by asorocker: 10:59pm On Jan 10, 2012
The hurried removal of the Fuel subsidy must have been done to divert tension and keep Nigerians busy with fuel wahala , however with the way things might turn out we have ended up with a twin problem a possible Nigerian spring and the BH issue.
How come all this are happening as soon as Ojukwu gave up the Ghost is what i cannot tell.

My take is that no army or Police or miltary force can stop  an Idea whose time has come
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:00pm On Jan 10, 2012
realchange:

i took a peep at your pic.  yuck!

After you're done wacking off to it, tell us more about this your "division".  grin

Bloody fools that need Yorubaland to survive tongue
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 11:01pm On Jan 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Basically the boy-boy have found another master.

How pathetic that those leeches cant live on their own.

Maintain your own region dont go about seeking forced union with ppl

The real parasites are showing their face

Like in Biafra when they forcefully annexed the SS, now its alliance by begging and boy-boyism

I laugh in Arochukwu

no my friend. just like the Yoruba is the co-theives natural ally of hausa/fulani in Nigeria, SE and SS are brothers because our boundaries are very murky
live with it!  wink
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by realchange: 11:03pm On Jan 10, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

After you're done wacking off to it, tell us more about this your "division".  grin

Bloody fools that need Yorubaland to survive tongue

my dog will do that over you, not over some yucky pic wink
Re: Nigeria Heading For Civil War – Soyinka by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:04pm On Jan 10, 2012
Your dog. Your mother. Same thing. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Akpabio Challenges Aggrieved Governors To Leave PDP / What PDP Must Do To Defeat APC In 2019 – Jimi Agbaje / Lagos PDP Rep, Nwulu Defects To UPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.