Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,368 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809857 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by hydrazone: 1:38pm On Nov 02, 2014
H
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 02, 2014
Keziehenry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 7:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
justwise:

I have been following your comments a long while now and need your help asap to make some key decisions...
I need a low-budget (btw £9k to £13k) school were I can study M.Sc Mech Engr in UK. I intend to start either January or February.
I have applied to Coventry, but I'm a bit worried about how good this school is in Engineering and their reputation by employers...
I would have loved Salford but they don't offer M.Sc Mech Eng (or a closely related course), surprisingly...

I would appreciate any help you can offer ...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 7:15pm On Nov 03, 2014
gcey2k:

I have been following your comments a long while now and need your help asap to make some key decisions...
I need a low-budget (btw £9k to £13k) school were I can study M.Sc Mech Engr in UK. I intend to start either January or February.
I have applied to Coventry, but I'm a bit worried about how good this school is in Engineering and their reputation by employers...
I would have loved Salford but they don't offer M.Sc Mech Eng (or a closely related course), surprisingly...

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Start from the top and check the requirements. List out atleast 5 choices and apply to them all.
£13k should be enough for tuition fees in most universities
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 7:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
spikesC:

Start from the top and check the requirements. List out atleast 5 choices and apply to them all.
£13k should be enough for tuition fees in most universities

Tnx Bro... will do that
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:50pm On Nov 03, 2014
gcey2k:

Portsmouth university = fees 13k http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/engineering/msc-mechanical-engineering/

Alternately use this link and have a look at universities ranked from 70 up, you are more likely to get fees within your range.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 11:48pm On Nov 03, 2014
justwise:

Portsmouth university = fees 13k http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/engineering/msc-mechanical-engineering/

Alternately use this link and have a look at universities ranked from 70 up, you are more likely to get fees within your range.

Tnx a lot, justwise and spikesC... have checked the link and I think I'd settle for Coventry for other reasons, including sponsor's approved institution... what I need now is a candid review by someone who've studied mech engr or any engineering related course their... or if you know someone who've done so... I've seen some little reviews online, but none have been detailed enough...I won't derail this thread again after this... thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:06am On Nov 04, 2014
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:09am On Nov 04, 2014
gcey2k:

Tnx a lot, justwise and spikesC... have checked the link and I think I'd settle for Coventry for other reasons, including sponsor's approved institution... what I need now is a candid review by someone who've studied mech engr or any engineering related course their... or if you know someone who've done so... I've seen some little reviews online, but none have been detailed enough...I won't derail this thread again after this... thanks

I think it's not a wise decision. Getting a job after Msc is very difficult but trying to get a job with a degree from these cheap schools may even be worse. Think long and hard before you commit that kind of money to the UK education system.

Try good schools in China,Australia, America and maybe singapore

Think of return on investment,can I get a job in nigeria? Can I use this degree to get a job anywhere in the world?

The UK immigration policy has been designed to frustrate immigrants in terms of job opportunities in the country.

If you must come the UK, go to a reputable school. It increases your chances of getting a job.
It is just a personal opinion.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:26am On Nov 04, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I think it's not a wise decision. Getting a job after Msc is very difficult but trying to get a job with a degree from these cheap schools may even be worse. Think long and hard before you commit that kind of money to the UK education system.

Think of return on investment,can I get a job in nigeria? Can I use this degree to get a job anywhere in the world?

The UK immigration policy has been designed to frustrate immigrants in terms of job opportunities in the country.

If you must come the UK, go to a reputable school. It increases your chances of getting a job.
That amount wouldn't get you top ranked uni in those countries.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Anyi3(m): 8:30am On Nov 04, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I like your insight. I want to ask what you think are graduate prospects from University of Glasgow? Looking at doing my MSc there.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 8:52am On Nov 04, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

Tnx for that insight Bro...this is really what i needed to hear.
I know u know about my intended sponsor... Problem is they have a fixed amount which wouldn't cater for those expensive UK schools... Secondly, they have approved institutions, MAINLY in the UK were they sponsor students to...the credible schools they have in that list may be Cranfield, Aberdeen and Leeds... rest u may regard as Cheap... and the cost for tuition in these schools is pretty high considering the budget...
If I mat ask, what would you advise considering all these?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:43am On Nov 04, 2014
gcey2k:

Tnx for that insight Bro...this is really what i needed to hear.
I know u know about my intended sponsor... Problem is they have a fixed amount which wouldn't cater for those expensive UK schools... Secondly, they have approved institutions, MAINLY in the UK were they sponsor students to...the credible schools they have in that list may be Cranfield, Aberdeen and Leeds... rest u may regard as Cheap... and the cost for tuition in these schools is pretty high considering the budget...
If I mat ask, what would you adrvise considering all these?

I recommend Aberdeen and Cranfield personally.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:44am On Nov 04, 2014
justwise:

That amount wouldn't get you top ranked uni in those countries.

Low ranked schools in those countries have better prospects at least you have a chance of getting a job in those countries after studying
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:52am On Nov 04, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

Low ranked schools in those countries have better prospects at least you have a chance of getting a job in those countries after studying

Bro they are more or less the same, getting a good job with fixed term visa is difficult, even when the UK gives 2yrs work visa after graduation you hardly get a good permanent job with it because employers know that the visa term is fixed and un-extendable. Yes the 2yrs visa gives you the opportunity to explore other options or work part time to get your fees back.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:38pm On Nov 04, 2014
justwise:

Bro they are more or less the same, getting a good job with fixed term visa is difficult, even when the UK gives 2yrs work visa after graduation you hardly get a good permanent job with it because employers know that the visa term is fixed and un-extendable. Yes the 2yrs visa gives you the opportunity to explore other options or work part time to get your fees back.

True though. I'm working hard and actually enjoying my studies, but the thought of what will happen at the end of my studies bothers me.

I don't want to go back to Nigeria and move about searching for jobs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 6:25pm On Nov 04, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I recommend Aberdeen and Cranfield personally.

Tnx Shepherd... will go back to the drawing board cos Aberdeen doesn't offer MSc Mech Engr, while I'll have to wait till October nxt year for Cranfield which is out of d equation...
Once again, tnx Shepherd, Justwise and SpikesC
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:40pm On Nov 04, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

True though. I'm working hard and actually enjoying my studies, but the thought of what will happen at the end of my studies bothers me.

I don't want to go back to Nigeria and move about searching for jobs

Did you make plans for this before coming?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:28pm On Nov 04, 2014
spikesC:

Did you make plans for this before coming?

I can go back to my job as a maintenance engr in manufacturing but I'l probably die of frustration.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sunvick(m): 10:24am On Nov 06, 2014
Pls ma Ogas,
I have a flat share to let, is it wrong to collect deposit from my would be flat mate? Coz i paid deposit as well. My wouldbe flat mate(girl ohh)said flat share dnt pay deposit. Abeg i need quick response to avoid stories that touch d hrt.she wants to move in on Saturday. Or are there any implications if i dnt collect deposit? Will appreciate ur response please thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 10:47am On Nov 06, 2014
sunvick:
Pls ma Ogas,
I have a flat share to let, is it wrong to collect deposit from my would be flat mate? Coz i paid deposit as well. My wouldbe flat mate(girl ohh)said flat share dnt pay deposit. Abeg i need quick response to avoid stories that touch d hrt.she wants to move in on Saturday. Or are there any implications if i dnt collect deposit? Will appreciate ur response please thanks.

Sounds like you want to sub-let your flat. For your financial security, it might be idle she pays a deposit(in case some damages are caused by her (the deposit covers you, to some extent).
If she refuses to pay deposit, offer her an alternative. That both of you go to the estate agent and her name gets included on the tenancy agreement.
NB: She would get her deposit back, if all is well on her departure.
No attempt to shine her Congo o, or else her rent out of the window !!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:50am On Nov 06, 2014
sunvick:
Pls ma Ogas,

Deposit is a must, no long story. The amount she deposits is up to you but not more than a month rent
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sunvick(m): 11:56am On Nov 06, 2014
Thanks alot.
Is unfortunate that a girl that claims to be born n bread in Holland is racking sense like smbdy hu has stayed in nija all her live. Women sha.
Girl: I need a spare key(rent I never see ohh)
Me: Give me deposit
Girl: The 3 places I have stayed, I didn't pay deposit. She said only landlords collect deposit n not flat.
Me: out of ma chioma n charity told her to take ma own big room, then i move to the smaller room ohh coz of her bag n loads. She was happy. Oya gimme deposit wahala....

According to her Anty.
That I shuld tell water utilities that I can only afford a certain amount per mnth(while I have Meter ohh) even if i exceed d amnt in usage that they will know how to go abt it( i don't know how that magic is done here in d UK). I asked her what if i use less of what i agreed to pay? She said water utilities will know how to sort it out

In fact them one use sense finish me. Will add more when i remember.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:49pm On Nov 06, 2014
Seems she's moved in already, done be in a hurry to rent out - you dont want flatmates from hell..when sh..hits the fan eh your brain will be on over drive...seems she's a regular mover

Assure her the deposit will be kept in a special account...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:54pm On Nov 06, 2014
DisGuy:
Seems she's moved in already, done be in a hurry to rent out - you dont want flatmates from hell..when sh..hits the fan eh your brain will be on over drive...seems she's a regular mover

She seems to know how to play the system and will be a nightmare to get rid off.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sunvick(m): 1:26pm On Nov 06, 2014
DisGuy:

No she has not moved in yet. Intended moving in on sat. Snce she doesn't want to giv deposit, den I will look for anoder persn. I could hav fallen prey if not the insight I got frm a white guy.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 2:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
justwise:

She seems to know how to play the system and will be a nightmare to get rid off.

Exactly, very soon she will be telling him how to bypass the electricity cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2014
sunvick:

No she has not moved in yet. Intended moving in on sat. Snce she doesn't want to giv deposit, den I will look for anoder persn. I could hav fallen prey if not the insight I got frm a white guy.

good! thought you offered her your room already, always stressful getting a house especially having to play landlord to other students

place advert everywhere you can and word of mouth
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sunvick(m): 3:28pm On Nov 06, 2014
DisGuy:

good! thought you offered her your room already, always stressful getting a house especially having to play landlord to other students

place advert everywhere you can and word of mouth

Nop, I offered to exchange rooms snce she said d empty room was small for her, and mine was bigger. snce d deposit saga, i won't bother her.
Thanks for the advice.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 3:40pm On Nov 06, 2014
sunvick:

Nop, I offered to exchange rooms snce she said d empty room was small for her, and mine was bigger. snce d deposit saga, i won't bother her.
Thanks for the advice.

gini, didn't you advertise the size of the room?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 3:40pm On Nov 06, 2014
DisGuy:

Exactly, very soon she will be telling him how to bypass the electricity cheesy

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.