Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (812229 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
Dude just Google it most of the schools you guys are mentioning here are not even ranked among the top 500 globally and you guys pay so much. why not consider other countries. Asia has a lot of highly ranked schools and it seems no one goes there same with other European countries. am sure 90 percent of the people in these schools mentioned are nigerians and other foolish africans.

@tensazangetsu

If you can't make your point politely without insulting people you will make quick exit from this thread.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
sorry it might be exaggerated but one thing I have noticed about we nigerians is that in a crave to school abroad we don't do proper research I school in ghana and there are so many illegal one block universities there and most of them in this schools are nigerians this guy's pay as much as 500k a session to school in a school not even recognised by the ghanian government. I have followed this thread from the first page and have Googled most of the schools mentioned here and none is highly ranked globally and look at the outrageous fees plus no post work visa. you finish and you come to look for a job like a mad man in Nigeria. there are well highly ranked cheap schools in other countries why can't people research on them. The importance of ranking cannot be overemphasised.

That shows how little you know about anything let alone ranking and cost of studying in those schools.

Highly ranked and 'cheap' can not be found in one sentence.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:

That shows how little you know about anything let alone ranking and cost of studying in those schools.

Highly ranked and 'cheap' can not be found in one sentence.
Yes highly ranked and cheap but standard of living in those cities where the schools are situated might be high I know of university of tokyo and Hong Kong university of science and technology both are in the top 30 and are cheap. cheaper than the UK but I don't know about the standard of living and tokyo and Hong Kong will research on that some other time.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:
@tensazangetsu

If you can't make your point politely without insulting people you will make quick exit from this thread.
Please i didn't insult anyone. I would like for you to show me in my previous post where I did and I will apologise to the person.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:33pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
Yes highly ranked and cheap but standard of living in those cities where the schools are situated might be high I know of university of tokyo and Hong Kong university of science and technology both are in the top 30 and are cheap. cheaper than the UK but I don't know about the standard of living and tokyo and Hong Kong will research on that some other time.

...and your university in Ghana is ranked what position?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
Dude just Google it most of the schools you guys are mentioning here are not even ranked among the top 500 globally and you guys pay so much. why not consider other countries. Asia has a lot of highly ranked schools and it seems no one goes there same with other European countries. am sure 90 percent of the people in these schools mentioned are nigerians and other foolish africans.

tensazangetsu:
Please i didn't insult anyone. I would like for you to show me in my previous post where I did and I will apologise to the person.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:

...and your university in Ghana is ranked what position?
it doesn't really matter in this context and besides my school isn't a conventional university they offer only maritime courses. I had my reasons for going there and besides when I gained admission I was just 16 still young and naive, didn't know much but if I knew then what I know now I probably wouldn't be schooling in ghana.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
it doesn't really matter in this context
I had my reasons for going there and besides when I gained admission I was just 16 still young and naive, didn't know much but if I knew then what I know now I probably wouldn't be schooling in ghana.

It does matter, you can still get transferred to one of those highly ranked schools, is not too late now.

Given the opportunity many Nigerians would want to pick one of the best schools in the world to study in but that is not financially possible considering how much it will cost to do that.

You don't jump down on people because they are not studying in one of those highly ranked schools in the world when your own school is not even classified.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:43pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:

It does matter, you can still get transferred to one of those highly ranked schools, is not too late now.

Given the opportunity many Nigerians would want to pick one of the best schools in the work to study in but that is not financially possible considering how much it will cost to do that.

You don't jump down on people because they are not studying in one of those highly ranked schools in the world when your own school is not even classified.
grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:
[b]

Given the opportunity many Nigerians would want to pick one of the best schools in the work to study in but that is not financially possible considering how much it will cost to do that.

lol am in level 300 one more year to go but hoping to do my masters in a highly ranked school though especially asia. I can provide a link to the top 100 in the world and then you can see how much each cost but that will derail the thread.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:33pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
lol am in level 300 one more year to go but hoping to do my masters in a highly ranked school though especially asia. I can provide a link to the top 100 in the world and then you can see how much each cost but that will derail the thread.

Will you be doing that through scholarship or your parents will be picking up the bill?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:

Will you be doing that through scholarship or your parents will be picking up the bill?
Looking for a scholarship. And even if I don't get my parents can afford it. http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/prospective-students/tuition_fees.html, that's a link to the university of tokyo showing their fees for international students do the conversion and you will see its far more cheaper than schooling in the UK. still doing my research though.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 5:37pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
Looking for a scholarship. And even if I don't get my parents can afford it. http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/prospective-students/tuition_fees.html, that's a link to the university of tokyo showing their fees for international students do the conversion and you will see its far more cheaper than schooling in the UK. still doing my research though.
I have read through your posts and i don't seem to understand your basis, you have no standing academically yet to compare education in various country, for a start you are studying in Ghana where the education is poo and far below what is obtainable in Nigeria, most of the students in Ghana head that way because of the ease of admission and the low level of entry requirements, Yes UK education is expensive and no guarantee of stay after graduating, but no one ever said graduating in a UK university translates to work, most student schooling here don't even want to stay, many want to go home afterwards, so its relative. Pls do your research very well and soundly and you will see Tokyo is not the best city to live in as a student, the standard of living is so high it will be best you pay high fees and augment with the living expenses in another country.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 5:48pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
what school do you think beats Cambridge in the whole of Asia??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 26, 2015
pato231:

I have read through your posts and i don't seem to understand your basis, you have no standing academically yet to compare education in various country, for a start you are studying in Ghana where the education is poo and far below what is obtainable in Nigeria, most of the students in Ghana head that way because of the ease of admission and the low level of entry requirements, Yes UK education is expensive and no guarantee of stay after graduating, but no one ever said graduating in a UK university translates to work, most student schooling here don't even want to stay, many want to go home afterwards, so its relative. Pls do your research very well and soundly and you will see Tokyo is not the best city to live in as a student, the standard of living is so high it will be best you pay high fees and augment with the living expenses in another country.
lol I was in Nigeria before moving over there, was doing mechanical engineering in unilag. Left that to do marine engineering. There are just two standard maritime schools recognised by IMO in africa, ghana and egypt. Egypt is too far so I had to settle with ghana, and you believe most nigerians who schools in ghana go there cause of the easy requirements and the standard is poo. Well I can only speak for myself.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 26, 2015
erico2k2:

what school do you think beats Cambridge in the whole of Asia??
How many people on this thread have mentioned cambridge, Oxford or imperial. My point is it doesn't make sense paying over 5 million naira as fees plus living expenses to go to a school that is not even among the top 500 globally when you can get better value for your money somewhere else.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 6:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
lol I was in Nigeria before moving over there, was doing mechanical engineering in unilag. Left that to do marine engineering. There are just two standard maritime schools recognised by IMO in africa, ghana and egypt. Egypt is too far so I had to settle with ghana, and you believe most nigerians who schools in ghana go there cause of the easy requirements and the standard is poo. Well I can only speak for myself.
That you left your purported studies in Unilag to study maritime related course in Ghana should tell you we all have choices and options, so dont try to be the choice police, follow your own choice through and make the best in your chosen career path.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 26, 2015
pato231:

That you left your purported studies in Unilag to study maritime related course in Ghana should tell you we all have choices and options, so dont try to be the choice police, follow your own choice through and make the best in your chosen career path.
And besides that ghanian education system isn't easy I don't know where you go that impression from, it's even far more easier in Nigeria than there, a lot of nigerians in my school get withdrawn for poor performances, in my first year we were 4 nigerians in my class the other 3 were withdrawn.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
How many people on this thread have mentioned cambridge, Oxford or imperial. My point is it doesn't make sense paying over 5 million naira as fees plus living expenses to go to a school that is not even among the top 500 globally when you can get better value for your money somewhere else.
I hate to admit it, but you're right.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by PetroDolla3: 6:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ghana's educational standard is poo and far bellow what is obtainable in nigeria? sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed

pato231:

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 26, 2015
PetroDolla3:
Ghana's educational standard is poo and far bellow what is obtainable in nigeria? sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed

Don't really know where they get that impression from. When I gained admission in Nigeria, I had the fifth highest score for my course in my dept and during my first semester my gpa was 4.5. But here in ghana am seeing hell. Jesus even the grading system is discouraging.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by PetroDolla3: 6:59pm On Jun 26, 2015
It is simple. They suffer from inferiority complex!

tensazangetsu:
Don't really know where they get that impression from. When I gained admission in Nigeria, I had the fifth highest score for my course in my dept and during my first semester my gpa was 4.5. But here in ghana am seeing hell. Jesus even the grading system is discouraging.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iamord(m): 7:03pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
u are in regional maritime University I guess. That dude has no idea of what he is saying. That school is hot cake
Alot of high ranking Nigerians in Navy and other outfits come there to do courses to boost their qualifications. The Ghanaian educational sector is not for lazy brains
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 7:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
can you point one school that is realy cheap and in a realy cheap environment where you can get real value for your money?,the reason I gave you my example is cos even in the Uk, to get better value for your money you have to go to a private school,not even the public schools can compare with the private school.%80 percent of the leaders of the west went to private schools not public schools.statistics from the Eu shows that people from private and more expenssive schools are getting top jobs irespective of grades.If you brake it down to what to sturdy where what would you say?if you was sturdying to become an Elect Eng or a mech Engineer?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 7:08pm On Jun 26, 2015
iamord:
u are in regional maritime University I guess. That dude has no idea of what he is saying. That school is hot cake
Alot of high ranking Nigerians in Navy and other outfits come there to do courses to boost their qualifications. The Ghanaian educational sector is not for lazy brains
You are missing the point,I have people from Ghana near me at work all day every day, the cannot compare themselves with Nigerians educationaly all day every day.Im talking about the UK, so where you lot get this idea Ghanian educational system is better than Nigerian educationall system i do not get it and can not comprehend it neither.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
erico2k2:

can you point one school that is realy cheap and in a realy cheap environment where you can get real value for your money?,the reason I gave you my example is cos even in the Uk, to get better value for your money you have to go to a private school,not even the public schools can compare with the private school.%80 percent of the leaders of the west went to private schools not public schools.statistics from the Eu shows that people from private and more expenssive schools are getting top jobs irespective of grades.If you brake it down to what to sturdy where what would you say?if you was sturdying to become an Elect Eng or a mech Engineer?
You said one school right
Peking university china Google the ranking and then the standard of living in china is low, very low I have been to shanghai purposely one of the most expensive cities in the world and things are fucking cheap there.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 7:10pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
It is actually not up to the class of the Nigerian Educational system.I work with some of them.we all are graduates.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iamord(m): 7:11pm On Jun 26, 2015
pato231:

Mr what are u saying That Ghana education is lower than what is obtainable in Nigeria. The joke is on you. You see its because it's easier to enter Ghanaian schools too. If I may ask. What is the use of jamb if a student will do a post ume?? If not to just extort students. Pls Don't start with that comparison. Nigerians that understand quality know better

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 26, 2015
erico2k2:

It is actually not up to the class of the Nigerian Educational system.I work with some of them.we all are graduates.
Like I said earlier on this thread I don't attend a conventional university. I attend a maritime school. For now only Ghana's maritime university and egypt maritime academy are recognised by the IMO in africa and it's a challenge there. That school ain't for lazy brains.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 7:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
iamord:
And the Nigerian Educational system is for lazy brains? hope you know Ghana currently ranks high in the number of illegal universities in west Africa, The entry level into High ranking universities in Nigeria is way higher than that of Ghanaian universities, and i repeat Ghanaian education is poo because i have never met a seasoned graduate from any of its Universities.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 7:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
You said one school right
Peking university china Google the ranking and then the standard of living in china is low, very low I have been to shanghai purposely one of the most expensive cities in the world and things are fucking cheap there.
they are ranked 48, plus they came into existence 1998,so your point is?IMperial college london is ranked 4th in the world.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu are you checking cheapest ranking schools or what?secondly,did you check ranking schools in your discipline?cuz if you are talking about best schools in the world you have to mention US,uk,australia,spain,netherland(not sure about my spelling),hong kong and new zealand.I have never seen any china school among the top 500.YES,there are lots of Uk schools in the top ranking schools in the world I can mention them.
If asia has the best schools why are their students running to uk to get a british degree??why nigerians are not interested in those top schools because they are expensive and your argument is based on money and nothing else.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.