Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (127) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811388 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 7:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
pato231:

And the Nigerian Educational system is for lazy brains? hope you know Ghana currently ranks high in the number of illegal universities in west Africa, The entry level into High ranking universities in Nigeria is way higher than that of Ghanaian universities, and i repeat Ghanaian education is poo because i have never met a seasoned graduate from any of its Universities.
Exactly, and i work with them,the actualy envy us Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 7:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
Like I said earlier on this thread I don't attend a conventional university. I attend a maritime school. For now only Ghana's maritime university and egypt maritime academy are recognised by the IMO in africa and it's a challenge there. That school ain't for lazy brains.
There is one in SA, did you forget that?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
crazydove:
tensazangetsu are you checking cheapest ranking schools or what?secondly,did you check ranking schools in your discipline?cuz if you are talking about best schools in the world you have to mention US,uk,australia,spain,netherland(not sure about my spelling),hong kong and new zealand.I have never seen any china school among the top 500.YES,there are lots of Uk schools in the top ranking schools in the world I can mention them.
If asia has the best schools why are their students running to uk to get a british degree??why nigerians are not interested in those top schools because they are expensive and your argument is based on money and nothing else.
How many japanese students have you met at coventry or other low ranked UK schools. And china has like 5 schools in the top 100. check again
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
erico2k2:
There is one in SA, did you forget that?
They offer a diploma not bsc
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iamord(m): 7:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
erico2k2:

You are missing the point,I have people from Ghana near me at work all day every day, the cannot compare themselves with Nigerians educationaly all day every day.Im talking about the UK, so where you lot get this idea Ghanian educational system is better than Nigerian educationall system i do not get it and can not comprehend it neither.
well that's for the Ghanaians you work with. If u must know. The Nigerian resilience and educational background are to different things. Generally if it's for the resilience I give it to Nigeria. This has a major role it playe when ever Nigerians are in a group. But when you talk about Ghana and Nigerian educational standard. The difference is clear. There are alot of things lacking in the Nigerian tertiary institutions. Of which the forma has. Nigeria is not even an education destination.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scoobs: 7:24pm On Jun 26, 2015
crazydove:
tensazangetsu are you checking cheapest ranking schools or what?secondly,did you check ranking schools in your discipline?cuz if you are talking about best schools in the world you have to mention US,uk,australia,spain,netherland(not sure about my spelling),hong kong and new zealand.I have never seen any china school among the top 500.YES,there are lots of Uk schools in the top ranking schools in the world I can mention them.
If asia has the best schools why are their students running to uk to get a british degree??why nigerians are not interested in those top schools because they are expensive and your argument is based on money and nothing else.
that you've said that asian students run to UK alone is enough to end this argument. The stats are there from LSBU to Cambridge Uni to even uni Sunderland you see students from Asia China and Pakistan esp.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 7:24pm On Jun 26, 2015
iamord:
Mr what are u saying That Ghana education is lower than what is obtainable in Nigeria. The joke is on you. You see its because it's easier to enter Ghanaian schools too. If I may ask. What is the use of jamb if a student will do a post ume?? If not to just extort students. Pls Don't start with that comparison. Nigerians that understand quality know better
The use of Jamb is to select the best set of students, and each University further prone this down by way of post UME as they cant admit all that chose the Uni, this are just checks and balances to ensure they comply to the NUC quota, there is no basis for comparison between Nigerian and Ghanaian educational system, you might talk about about the ease of entry, assurance of graduation year in universities in Ghana as they admit at will and have no strike because the international students( mostly Nigerians) pay them more than the education is worth.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 26, 2015
erico2k2:

they are ranked 48, plus they came into existence 1998,so your point is?IMperial college london is ranked 4th in the world.
How many students in this thread have mentioned Oxford imperial or cambridge. The schools mentioned here are not even among the top 500 globally and look at the exorbitant fees plus living expenses. Spending millions to go to a school that is not highly ranked. What's the use?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
scoobs:
that you've said that asian students run to UK alone is enough to end this argument. The stats are there from LSBU to Cambridge Uni to even uni Sunderland you see students from Asia China and Pakistan esp.
Most asian students especially the Chinese japs attend highly ranked schools in the UK cambridge and the likes. The point am trying to make is that why should we Nigerians spend so much to go to a school that is not even recognised globally and after everything you are kicked out like a fool to come and look for a job in Nigeria. If you give 5 million to those boys hawking gala on the road they will multiply that amount by 10 in 5 years.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by erico2k2(m): 7:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
How many japanese students have you met at coventry or other low ranked UK schools. And china has like 5 schools in the top 100. check again
guy, you are still young and lack expirience,mayB when yeu finish from what you are sturdying then travel a bit, you wil learn more.non of the UK uni are low ranked,i repeat non of them are low ranked, each and every one of the Uni in the UK has contributed to each and every one of us lives,in technology or health,politics or arts, the list goes on.There are more chinese students in the Uk than anywhere else in the whole world.I use to work for a company called Ultra Electronics back in the days,I could remember most heads of Dept where Profs from Unis.They lectur partime.The Uni in the Uk do not just teach/lecture.the make things come into existence.Do you remember Dollythe sheep?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:

Abeg which ranking is that?and why is coventry you choice of pointing fingers.people have mentioned aberdeen,louborough,east anglia,manchester university,nottingham,newcastle etc why pick on coventry?and yes chinese are in all uk schools
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
scoobs:

So true,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
crazydove:

Abeg which ranking is that?and why is coventry you choice of pointing fingers.people have mentioned aberdeen,louborough,east anglia,manchester university,nottingham,newcastle etc why pick on coventry?and yes chinese are in all uk schools
https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2015/world-ranking
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iamord(m): 7:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
pato231:

And the Nigerian Educational system is for lazy brains? hope you know Ghana currently ranks high in the number of illegal universities in west Africa, The entry level into High ranking universities in Nigeria is way higher than that of Ghanaian universities, and i repeat Ghanaian education is poo because i have never met a seasoned graduate from any of its Universities.
I never said that the Nigerian educational system is for lazy minds. And point of correction your statement is not true of Ghana ranking high in the number of illegal universities in west Africa. Cos there is no ranking of such. The only one is a list of illegal schools in the country. Of which Nigeria is not exempted. Nigeria is not an attractive educational destination cos things are not right in that sector . If it were. there will be foreigners troopin in. Today a lot of countries you go with a Nigerian degree you need to do some additional course to attach before they take you

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2015/world-ranking

Oga you have not answered my question why are you picking on coventry?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
crazydove:

Oga you have not answered my question why are you picking on coventry?
Not just coventry other schools am hearing one like Robert Gordon and most guys going there are going for engineering jesus when you can get top notch engineering schools worldwide
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
Not just coventry other schools am hearing one like Robert Gordon and most guys going there are going for engineering jesus when you can get top notch engineering schools worldwide

Who mentioned robert recently?I just gave you good schools and you are still calling low rated schools.some people don't want to go far.why should I go far just for education?what if I want to work in Nigeria will the Nigerian workforce recognise that cerificate?the world is not even safe e.g the war in russia and you have no one how will you survive?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 7:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
iamord:
I never said that the Nigerian educational system is for lazy minds. And point of correction your statement is not true of Ghana ranking high in the number of illegal universities in west Africa. Cos there is no ranking of such. The only one is a list of illegal schools in the country. Of which Nigeria is not exempted. Nigeria is not an attractive educational destination cos things are not right in that sector . If it were. there will be foreigners troopin in. Today a lot of countries you go with a Nigerian degree you need to do some additional course to attach before they take you

That is a big lie, you do not do additional courses to attach to any Nigerian degree for further studies in any country as long as you meet the entry requirement in the first instance, this is simple you stay in Ghana and acquire your Ashanti gold plated degree and allow those you desire a UK degree acquire theirs. And i don't know about now but when i was in the university in Nigeria we had a lot of Cameroonian, Malian, and Ghanaian students studying there on scholarship from their various Countries. Yes Nigerian Education is dwindling but no way has it gone below that of Ghana yet.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iamord(m): 7:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
pato231:

The use of Jamb is to select the best set of students, and each University further prone this down by way of post UME as they cant admit all that chose the Uni, this are just checks and balances to ensure they comply to the NUC quota, there is no basis for comparison between Nigerian and Ghanaian educational system, you might talk about about the ease of entry, assurance of graduation year in universities in Ghana as they admit at will and have no strike because the international students( mostly Nigerians) pay them more than the education is worth.
Mr I passed through jamb. And jamb is a scam and a hogwash. It's just like the Nigerian neco that also needs to be scrapped. alot of students make As in it but have problems making Cs in waec.. Why? .. Neco is hardly accepted cos the standard and image is questionable. It's only the new generation schools that want your money that accept it. In a right setting it suppose to be that you make your necessary waec papers. You proceed to the uni for post ume. I repeat jamb is a scam and a hogwash. It has not done anything good to the Nigerian educational system. And not having strike and finishing through the calendar year alone in contrast to Nigeria. Should make you know that there is something wrong with the Nigerian educational system. Let me not even use that as a merit. Ghanaian schools can boast of a proper learning environment. Something a lot of Nigerian schools lack.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 26, 2015
crazydove:

Who mentioned robert recently?I just gave you good schools and you are still call low rated schools.some people don't want to go far.why should I go far?if there is war like russia and you have no one how will you survive?
Trust me I had that same fear when I was about to go to uni I didn't want to step out of my comfort zone but if I could rewind time I will take that risk, you never know. The greatest fear of a man is the fear of the unknown.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iamord(m): 7:49pm On Jun 26, 2015
pato231:

That is a big lie, you do not do additional courses to attach to any Nigerian degree for further studies in any country as long as you meet the entry requirement in the first instance, this is simple you stay in Ghana and acquire your Ashanti gold plated degree and allow those you desire a UK degree acquire theirs. And i don't know about now but when i was in the university in Nigeria we had a lot of Cameroonian, Malian, and Ghanaian students studying there on scholarship from their various Countries. Yes Nigerian Education is dwindling but no way has it gone below that of Ghana yet.
hahaha! I know of many instances and people who add to sir. And how do u rule that I schooled in Ghana. Which school and year are u talking about cos. It's hard to spot a foreign student in Nigerian University. The Nigerian education system has been dwindling ever since.. Ghana has always been a better choice.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 7:52pm On Jun 26, 2015
iamord:
Mr I passed through jamb. And jamb is a scam and a hogwash. It's just like the Nigerian neco that also needs to be scrapped. alot of students make As in it but have problems making Cs in waec.. Why? .. Neco is hardly accepted cos the standard and image is questionable. It's only the new generation schools that want your money that accept it. In a right setting it suppose to be that you make your necessary waec papers. You proceed to the uni for post ume. I repeat jamb is a scam and a hogwash. It has not done anything good to the Nigerian educational system. And not having strike and finishing through the calendar year alone in contrast to Nigeria. Should make you know that there is something wrong with the Nigerian educational system. Let me not even use that as a merit. Ghanaian schools can boast of a proper learning environment. Something a lot of Nigerian schools lack.
In case you don't know the bulk of Nigerian students in Ghana are either University rejects or those that could not meet up with the academic demands of their study in Nigerian Universities and were withdrawn, they head to Ghana and in less than 3 years make it back a graduate or should i put properly half baked graduates. check facts around the world you see Nigerian students most graduated from Nigerian universities breaking records in Universities in their post graduate study. very soon Someone from a Cotonou university will also start comparing Nigerian educational system with that obtainable there.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:53pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
lol I was in Nigeria before moving over there, was doing mechanical engineering in unilag. Left that to do marine engineering.
There are just two standard maritime schools recognised by IMO in africa, ghana and egypt. Egypt is too far so I had to settle with ghana, and you believe most nigerians who schools in ghana go there cause of the easy requirements and the standard is poo. Well I can only speak for myself.

tensazangetsu:
it doesn't really matter in this context and besides my school isn't a conventional university they offer only maritime courses. I had my reasons for going there and besides when I gained admission I was just 16 still young and naive, didn't know much but if I knew then what I know now I probably wouldn't be schooling in ghana.

You did that at the age of 16?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
Trust me I had that same fear when I was about to go to uni I didn't want to step out of my comfort zone but if I could rewind time I will take that risk, you never know. The greatest fear of a man is the fear of the unknown.

Yea like the way nigerian students were traped during rusian war?some people are not like you that wants to tour round the world and that ranking is last year.I even thought it was this year.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 8:00pm On Jun 26, 2015
iamord:
hahaha! I know of many instances and people who add to sir. And how do u rule that I schooled in Ghana. Which school and year are u talking about cos. It's hard to spot a foreign student in Nigerian University. The Nigerian education system has been dwindling ever since.. Ghana has always been a better choice.
Its simple you make a 3rd class in any university be it in USA, you must first enrol for a PGD and pass, before starting any PG course, same way some universities only allow student with a 2:1 apply to them, you dont expect to be admitted with any grade lower than a 2:1 in such university. its not hard to spot a foreign student in Nigeria, its just easier to spot a Nigerian student in Ghana because of the population.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:
[b]

Yeah only spent a year in lag finished secondary school at 15 and gained admission immediately.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:
[b]

Yes some people gain admission into uni at age 15
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
tensazangetsu:
How many japanese students have you met at coventry or other low ranked UK schools
. And china has like 5 schools in the top 100. check again

The question should be: How many Chinese or Japanese students have you met at highly ranked universities?

There are many many Chinese and other Asian students in the UK universities whether lowly or highly ranked.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:
[b]

The question should be: How many Chinese or Japanese students have you met at highly ranked universities?

There are many many Chinese and other Asian students in the UK universities whether lowly or highly ranked.

I was just wondering why he's after low ranked schools in the uk.I guess he was checking for their fees
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
crazydove:

I was just wondering why he's after low ranked schools in the uk.I guess he was checking for their fees

I'm sorry but he is clueless.

There are so many reasons why people end up in those universities he tagged lowly ranked and waste of money.

Many universities are very good at certain subjects and general ranking does not reflect this but subject ranking does.

Some Nigerians and indeed African students on scholarship are studying in those lowly ranked universities because of the agreement between the scholarship awarding body and the school.

Self sponsoring student on study leave may not consider school ranking but just want to gained more knowledge in their field and return to their jobs in Nigeria.

Like i said before there are many reasons...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
iamord:

We know bullshlt when we see it grin

It's so easy recognising people who portray their ignorant opinions as facts, so I still wonder why you guys engage in futile arguments with them

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.