Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (812339 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:42am On Mar 22, 2016
nsiazu:
Please what ATM card is best and lowest to use abroad as a student and pay fees?
Stanbic IBTC. They charged NGN 409/£ compared to First Bank NGN 445/£.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nsiazu: 6:51am On Mar 22, 2016
naijamark:

Stanbic IBTC. They charged NGN 409/£ compared to First Bank NGN 445/£.
Thanks a lot bro. Please is it their visa card or MasterCard because I wanna withdraw abroad and pay my fees.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by aire94: 7:12am On Mar 22, 2016
Anyone going to Cardiff met. uni this July?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 7:58am On Mar 22, 2016
nsiazu:
Thanks a lot bro. Please is it their visa card or MasterCard because I wanna withdraw abroad and pay my fees.
Why not just make a transfer from your account to the school's account for your fees rather than travel there and start withdrawing for it? have you forgotten that whatever atm card you will use has a daily, weekly or monthly limit? besides that for each withdrawal you are going to pay a charge of about 420 naira. Do the maths before you go get stranded or be faced with the inability of not paying your fees on time.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 22, 2016
nsiazu:
Naira Mastercard

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nsiazu: 3:42pm On Mar 22, 2016
guardian09:

Why not just make a transfer from your account to the school's account for your fees rather than travel there and start withdrawing for it? have you forgotten that whatever atm card you will use has a daily, weekly or monthly limit? besides that for each withdrawal you are going to pay a charge of about 420 naira. Do the maths before you go get stranded or be faced with the inability of not paying your fees on time.
Please how do I make the transfer and how will I be charged?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 4:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
nsiazu:
Please how do I make the transfer and how will I be charged?

You will likely have to source for the funds from a Bureau de change depending on the amount, then pay into your dorm account and instruct your bank to make the transfer to schools account outside the country. Now as regards the charge of 420 naira, this is taken from your account each time you use your atm card outside the country.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 8:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
nsiazu:
Please what ATM card is best and lowest to use abroad as a student and pay fees?

Bank with the lowest rate still remains stanbic ibtc. bt then with the cbn rules, i doubt if you can use atm to pay school fees cos the daily cummulative limit is less than 250dollars or so. form A will do justice to school fees payment

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nsiazu: 9:05pm On Mar 22, 2016
creamyworkz:

Bank with the lowest rate still remains stanbic ibtc. bt then with the cbn rules, i doubt if you can use atm to pay school fees cos the daily cummulative limit is less than 250dollars or so. form A will do justice to school fees payment
Thanks a lot and God bless. Is the form A still active?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 10:45pm On Mar 22, 2016
nsiazu:
Thanks a lot and God bless. Is the form A still active?
Yes it is. a friend of mine used it bout 2wks ago. and the rate was cbn exchange rate

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 12:21pm On Mar 23, 2016
Hello everyone,

I need your candid opinion on a burning issue which has been troubling me for some time now. I am really ashamed and remorseful of my actions, it was just the situation I found myself. I was once a footballer and once had an opportunity to travel to Europe for my footballing career but this did not work out as planned. I got a passport for this purpose where I did not use my real age, as advised by my coach and agent. I later dropped football and went back to school. Now I am done with my first degree and I intend going abroad for my masters degree. The old passport with my false age expired and I proceeded to the NIS office where I met an Immigration officer who assisted me and got me another passport after I did the Biometrics. I actually paid him 100k for this. I really don't know if it was renewal or re-issue he did but this new passport has my real age and name which tally with my academic documents. The new passport has the old and new passport numbers written on it its data page. Now my question is, with the old number available on the passport, will the embassy verify and compare the information on the new and old passports?

Thanks for your useful contributions.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 12:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
nineteenth:
Hello everyone,

I need your candid opinion on a burning issue which has been troubling me for some time now. I am really ashamed and remorseful of my actions, it was just the situation I found myself. I was once a footballer and once had an opportunity to travel to Europe for my footballing career but this did not work out as planned. I got a passport for this purpose where I did not use my real age, as advised by my coach and agent. I later dropped football and went back to school. Now I am done with my first degree and I intend going abroad for my masters degree. The old passport with my false age expired and I proceeded to the NIS office where I met an Immigration officer who assisted me and got me another passport after I did the Biometrics. I actually paid him 100k for this. I really don't know if it was renewal or re-issue he did but this new passport has my real age and name which tally with my academic documents. The new passport has the old and new passport numbers written on it its data page. Now my question is, with the old number available on the passport, will the embassy verify and compare the information on the new and old passports?

shocked
This is the first time I am hearing of this. When I renewed mine, the old passport number was not printed on the new one.
Is the old passport ECOWAS passport?
Did you use it to apply for a visa?
Why did you pay 100k for the passport?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 1:17pm On Mar 23, 2016
nineteenth:
Hello everyone,

The old passport with my false age expired and I proceeded to the NIS office where I met an Immigration officer who assisted me and got me another passport after I did the Biometrics. I actually paid him 100k for this. I really don't know if it was renewal or re-issue he did but this new passport has my real age and name which tally with my academic documents. The new passport has the old and new passport numbers written on it its data page. Now my question is, with the old number available on the passport, will the embassy verify and compare the information on the new and old passports?

This is suspicious. Why will a new passport have both old & new passport numbers on it?

I did a passport renewal recently. The new passport was very similar to the old one. But the old number is NOT on the new passport.

Call that person that did it for you and challenge it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 23, 2016
creamyworkz:

That is not correct. Daily limit for depends on bank, type of account and type of card you use is usually between $250 -$300. Most importantly, he doesn't necessarily need to withdraw on ATMS, POS and online transactions have limits of $20,000 in some banks. No UK school is without POS, they are ready to take your money however you bring it.
@nsiazu if you can't source for fx locally, your best bet is to use POS.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bidosko(m): 3:46pm On Mar 23, 2016
dustydee:

shocked
This is the first time I am hearing of this. When I renewed mine, the old passport number was not printed on the new one.
Is the old passport ECOWAS passport?
Did you use it to apply for a visa?
Why did you pay 100k for the passport?
my old passport no was printed on mine. It is written "previous passport no "
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bidosko(m): 3:49pm On Mar 23, 2016
aire94:
Anyone going to Cardiff met. uni this July?
am studying in cardiff uni neighbor to cardiff met. How's the preparation going
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 4:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
bidosko:
Wow!, That's new to me.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:57pm On Mar 23, 2016
nineteenth:
Hello everyone,

Was the renewer done in Lagos or Abuja?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 5:30pm On Mar 23, 2016
Lagos.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 5:30pm On Mar 23, 2016
justwise:

Was the renewer done in Lagos or Abuja?
Lagos. Any issue about the location where it's done?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 5:37pm On Mar 23, 2016
bidosko:
The same thing was printed on mine. Sir, was yours renewal or re-issue?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 5:40pm On Mar 23, 2016
spacyzuma:

This is suspicious. Why will a new passport have both old & new passport numbers on it?

I did a passport renewal recently. The new passport was very similar to the old one. But the old number is NOT on the new passport.

Call that person that did it for you and challenge it.

Sir, was yours renewal or re-issue?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 23, 2016
nineteenth:

If I get you correctly your firmer passport was an ecowas passport.

If so that means you would have had to go to Abuja for capturing since the date of birth was different from the old one.

About your application for masters you should be fine if you never used that old passport for a visa oh.
If you did and you were refused then that's another case
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 7:16pm On Mar 23, 2016
Thanks for your input. Actually,the former passport was an e-passport, I obtained it in 2010 and it expired in 2015. Also, I did not use it for any travelling purpose.No visa was granted or denied with the passport. What do you have to say to this?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 9:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
nineteenth:
Thanks for your input. Actually,the former passport was an e-passport, I obtained it in 2010 and it expired in 2015. Also, I did not use it for any travelling purpose.No visa was granted or denied with the passport. What do you have to say to this?
You should be fine.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:57pm On Mar 23, 2016
nineteenth:
Lagos. Any issue about the location where it's done?

Yes it matters because you can't do any data change in Lagos especially age or name, has to be done in Abuja.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 10:21pm On Mar 23, 2016
nineteenth:
A renewal. Old one expired and I got a new one.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
dustydee:

You should be fine.
okay, thanks. So in this case, do I tell the VO my old passport got lost or should I simply say it expired and I got it renewed?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 11:08pm On Mar 23, 2016
justwise:

Yes it matters because you can't do any data change in Lagos especially age or name, has to be done in Abuja.

oh okay, thanks. I did not know this.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 9:16am On Mar 24, 2016
nineteenth:
okay, thanks. So in this case, do I tell the VO my old passport got lost or should I simply say it expired and I got it renewed?
If you are going to the UK, you'd not see the VO but I am not sure if you have to include your old passport. They know mistakes happen and it shouldn't be much of a problem since you didn't use it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nineteenth: 11:34am On Mar 24, 2016
dustydee:

If you are going to the UK, you'd not see the VO but I am not sure if you have to include your old passport. They know mistakes happen and it shouldn't be much of a problem since you didn't use it.
Ok thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 11:45am On Mar 24, 2016
naijamark:

That is not correct. Daily limit for depends on bank, type of account and type of card you use is usually between $250 -$300. Most importantly, he doesn't necessarily need to withdraw on ATMS, POS and online transactions have limits of $20,000 in some banks. No UK school is without POS, they are ready to take your money however you bring it.
@nsiazu if you can't source for fx locally, your best bet is to use POS.

Thanks, i meant to type 250pounds. i wont advise he uses pos tho when he can easily get a form A it. d banks give it out readily

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.