Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,047 members, 7,825,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (160) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (812494 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:32am On Jul 04, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

His step mum and brother.

That will take a long shot
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:33am On Jul 04, 2016
salsera:

Spoken like a true Brit.

Tricky means Impossible.

Trying to put a positive spin on it grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 04, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:
Cc: justwise

What about after 5years of study, then he travelled back and apply for working permit visa to stay in UK?
Is that possible for him to stay there permanently?
Sorry for asking too much of questions.

That would depend on the immigration and visa rules applicable when he is done with his studies.

I hope you know that Uk is not the only place he can work or live permanently.

If he does 4years UG and 1yr PG IF he then gets a job with an employer under the CURRENT Tier2 visa rules then he can work in the UK. But its his employer that determines the length of the work permit. If he gets up to 5Yrs then based on the CURRENT rules he can then apply for ILR which is indefinite leave to remain.

Notice my emphasis on current visa/immigration rules.
Visa rules in the UK change regularly so there is no point spending 5 years in the UK without keep g your options open to other places.
The whole I have family there does not hold water because you are all adults so no right to family life that appears here.

Besides school fees in the UK is one thing but the real expenses are living expenses. That's where you will spend since you can not continuously scrounge on others.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 04, 2016
justwise:
[/b]

Trying to put a positive spin on it grin

Na so British dey talk grin grin

Long shot
Remote
Unlikely
Tricky

When you hear those words no that the case is closed but they want you to waste your money applying with a positive spin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:04pm On Jul 04, 2016
salsera:

Long shot
Remote
Unlikely
Tricky

When you hear those words no that the case is closed but they want you to waste your money applying with a positive spin
LOL cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:08pm On Jul 04, 2016
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your effort and answers...

Justwise
What about, if he's still studying and he decided to extend his visa in order to get a job after school, is it possible or must he travelled back before he can then apply for working visa permit??
Don't be upset with my questions.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:41pm On Jul 04, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Justwise
What about, if he's still studying and he decided to extend his visa in order to get a job after school, is it possible or must he travelled back before he can then apply for working visa permit??

This question and the last one i answered are the same and my answer remains the same.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2016
salsera:

That would depend on the immigration and visa rules applicable when he is done with his studies.

I hope you know that Uk is not the only place he can work or live permanently.

If he does 4years UG and 1yr PG IF he then gets a job with an employer under the CURRENT Tier1 visa rules then he can work in the UK. But its his employer that determines the length of the work permit. If he gets up to 5Yrs then based on the CURRENT rules he can then apply for ILR which is indefinite leave to remain.

Notice my emphasis on current visa/immigration rules.
Visa rules in the UK change regularly so there is no point spending 5 years in the UK without keep g your options open to other places.
The whole I have family there does not hold water because you are all adults so no right to family life that appears here.

Besides school fees in the UK is one thing but the real expenses are living expenses. That's where you will spend since you can not continuously scrounge on others.

I think you are referring to Tier 2 and not Tier 1 visa?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:56pm On Jul 04, 2016
salsera:

Long shot
Remote
Unlikely
Tricky

I wouldn't regard myself as British citizen for now though that will be the case by the end of this month.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 04, 2016
justwise:

I think you are referring to Tier 2 and not Tier 1 visa?
Yes I did
Modified
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 04, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Justwise

Sigh

Read and read.
When you start rephrasing the same questions over and over then you are looking for what is not lost.
We have answered you.
Research the rest yourself
Mind you you're going to University oh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 3:29pm On Jul 04, 2016
justwise:

The 10 years route through studying here is out of it.

5 years through work permit.

5 years through marriage.

20 years through illegal residency.

Correct me if am wrong

1 year foundation
4 years sandwich degree
2 years masters (some programs with placement and universities)
5 years PhD
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 3:35pm On Jul 04, 2016
claremont:

No chance in hell for that to happen, time spent in school doesn't count towards citizenship. The only way for him to become a citizen within that time frame is to abandon the schooling altogether, and then go for the marriage option or the British Army option. I know a few of my uni friends from some years ago that got married to white, obese whales (with kids already) whilst studying, they are all citizens now. Everyone knows they got married for the paper, why in the hell will a young, good-looking and promising Nigerian man marry a middle-aged white whale and take over another man's kids?! They are citizens now, but they are all living a rat-race at the moment because they are trapped in the vicious cycle of doing shitty jobs just to sustain their family.

The EU route that people used to exploit by getting married to an EU citizen to bypass UK immigration restrictions would soon be firmly shut now that the UK has voted to leave the EU. I would suggest your friend thinks long and hard about his decision to spend a colossal amount of money and time in the UK with only a degree to show for it at the end.

The picture below are the kind of women in UK that Nigerians marry for paper. grin

What I don't understand is, why don't they take the opportunity and finish their studies, get a good job and..well, you know the rest
They even have access to loans and benefits
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:10pm On Jul 04, 2016
spikesC:

Correct me if am wrong

1 year foundation
4 years sandwich degree
2 years masters (some programs with placement and universities)
5 years PhD

Yes that combination works before last August when the rule changed.

That combination does not work anymore because there is a limit on number of years you can spend in the UK on student visa.

Many schools have that information on that website and ukba just included on tier 4 page as well.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
spikesC:

What I don't understand is, why don't they take the opportunity and finish their studies, get a good job and..well, you know the rest
They even have access to loans and benefits

No chance getting benefits as a student, just loan for undergraduates
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 1:06am On Jul 05, 2016
justwise:
[/b]
No chance getting benefits as a student, just loan for undergraduates
The loan will be refunded back when?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:31am On Jul 05, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

The loan will be refunded back when?

Yes when you get a job and earn certain amount a year.

This loan is not for foreign students though...only home students
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiscomax(m): 10:19am On Jul 06, 2016
Please what does it take to do master degree in Manchester univerity, engineering
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 10:21am On Jul 06, 2016
Chiscomax:
Please what does it take to do master degree in Manchester univerity, engineering
Its very easy bro. Just go to the school site, check the programme u want to run, check the requirement, the tuition fee and necessary things expected, then you kick start from there. First of all whats your budget?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiscomax(m): 10:25am On Jul 06, 2016
fizzile:
Its very easy bro. Just go to the school site, check the programme u want to run, check the requirement, the tuition fee and necessary things expected, then you kick start from there. First of all whats your budget?

7m
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 10:46am On Jul 06, 2016
Chiscomax:

7m
First of all just check the school site, then check the tuition then we can start up from there. Will be willing to help in any way i can. There are more gurus here too but just get the info first.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 12:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
@olowob
I have a lot of gold jewelleries which I use and will be selling some of them before I leave in the coming months by God's grace. I already got some good deal from mallams because dollars is higher than it was when I bought them then,but I was told that it is costlier in the UK and that I should go along with them and sell them there and that it will also bridge the gap of currency conversion being that it is sold in pounds. Plz what is your honest opinion on this.

Cc . claremont, justwise et al
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 2:42pm On Jul 06, 2016
Dynamitehimself:
@olowob
I have a lot of gold jewelleries which I use and will be selling some of them before I leave in the coming months by God's grace. I already got some good deal from mallams because dollars is higher than it was when I bought them then,but I was told that it is costlier in the UK and that I should go along with them and sell them there and that it will also bridge the gap of currency conversion being that it is sold in pounds. Plz what is your honest opinion on this.

tbh, I'm not sure about the £/$ price it may fetch here, but I think it's a good idea.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 3:20pm On Jul 06, 2016
spacyzuma:

tbh, I'm not sure about the £/$ price it may fetch here, but I think it's a good idea.

@spacyzuma
Thanks man. Any idea on possible sellout price will be appreciated if you dont mind.tanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 06, 2016
Chiscomax:

7m

That amount won't work for University of Manchester. It won't cover the tuition fee not to talk of living cost. You might look at other schools in Manchester like Manchester Metropolitan Uni or Salford Uni
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 11:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
Dynamitehimself:
@olowob

I do know you can sell them in UK in all these pawn shops. How you will get them to the UK, i do not know. How much will they pay you depending on the carat or weight compared to how much those mallams will pay in lagos, i do not know.

But come to think of it, if you can get them to the UK and get good price for them with this current high value of pounds, after selling, you can send the money back to naija and get huge money in naira (i am assuming you won't be using the money for school fees or feeding fees). I am just thinking out loud.

Definitely selling in the UK will give you more money (when you convert the pounds to naira with the current exchange rate) than selling in naija.

Modified: I just saw on the other thread that the gold is just going to be a small box of personal effects, so that should be no big deal in transporting to the UK but please those people that asked you to sell it in UK, are they also professionals in the business? if they are then you should go with their advice.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 1:04pm On Jul 07, 2016
OlowoB:

I do know you can sell them in UK in all these pawn shops.
(Same info i was given)
How you will get them to the UK, i do not know.
(That is not a problem)
How much will they pay you depending on the carat or weight compared to how much those mallams will pay in lagos,i do not know.(This is one of the important info's I need)

But come to think of it, if you can get them to the UK and get good price for them with this current high value of pounds, after selling, you can send the money back to naija and get huge money in naira (i am assuming you won't be using the money for school fees or feeding fees). I am just thinking out loud.
(You spoke my mind here. I have got funds for school fees and maintenance soughted already, just want a way of bridging the gap of currency conversion since am on the other side and sending something reasonable back to Nigeria)

Definitely selling in the UK will give you more money (when you convert the pounds to naira with the current exchange rate) than selling in naija.(Thank s for the heads up)

Modified: I just saw on the other thread that the gold is just going to be a small box of personal effects, so that should be no big deal in transporting to the UK but please those people that asked you to sell it in UK, are they also professionals in the business? if they are then you should go with their advice.(They are not professionals just old students trying to advice me)

@olowob
Thanks for the contribution.i gave u some answers in brackets for a clearer view of my point, just thought I could get a contrary price hint on the amount compared to what I might have in mind just to be on a safer side.I don't want to be too excited to ignore any possible disadvantage . Thanks all the same.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mrcodebreaker: 7:14pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hey guys, Greetings

I got offers from Lancaster, Glasgow, Portsmouth, Exeter and Loughborough. Eventually picked Exeter cos I got a tiny 3k scholarship and the reputation. I hope I made the right call.

Anyone going to the University of Exeter here?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:40pm On Jul 07, 2016
Dynamitehimself:
@olowob

Do you have their receipts?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 9:07pm On Jul 07, 2016
justwise:

Do you have their receipts?

Yeah I have the receipt. Just that the total quantity in the receipt has reduced compared to what I have at hand because I sold some out some time ago.But the original receipt is still intact.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:23pm On Jul 07, 2016
Dynamitehimself:

Yeah I have the receipt. Just that the total quantity in the receipt has reduced compared to what I have at hand because I sold some out some time ago.But the original receipt is still intact.

You may be able to sell it if they can verify the origin because jewellery theft is very rampant here so shops are very careful to avoid buying stolen item.

I think they have sort of database where they can verify any original jewellery and ascertain immediately if it has been reported stolen
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 11:08pm On Jul 07, 2016
justwise:

You may be able to sell it if they can verify the origin because jewellery theft is very rampant here so shops are very careful to avoid buying stolen item.

I think they have sort of database where they can verify any original jewellery and ascertain immediately if it has been reported stolen

@justwise
Oh thanks for the response i am most grateful. I just hope the receipt will serve the verification purpose.
Plz do you have any hints per gram price of maybe 18 karat.Or anyway you could confirm I would appreciate.
Thanks in anticipation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.