Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,780 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811347 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bikat: 10:18am On Aug 26, 2016
justwise:

Please pay attention to rule number 11
shocked shocked For this simple, non offensive post? Ok o. I go look for the rule
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 10:24am On Aug 26, 2016
11. Don't create distracting posts with: ALL WORDS BOLD / huge font sizes / ALL CAPS / distracting imagesspaces, etc.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bikat: 10:31am On Aug 26, 2016
worry359:
11. Don't create distracting posts with: ALL WORDS BOLD / huge font sizes / ALL CAPS / distracting imagesspaces, etc.

Oookey, now I see. thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:37pm On Aug 26, 2016
dustydee:
Please does anyone know which money transfer sites still work for sending money to Nigeria?
Western Union and Money gram rates are not too good.

Any news regarding this question?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 1:48pm On Aug 28, 2016
OlowoB:
@dynamitehinself, Claremont has done justice to all the questions you raised and I could not have said it better but I will add to the issue of PCC I raised in the other thread.

Please note that PCC is only valid for 3 months. If you will not be applying for the security license within 3 months of entering the UK, I will suggest you do not get it cos PCC will cost you nothing less than 10k in Naija.

Also please note that to get an SIA badge (security license in UK) is expensive. You will need to pay for training and exam and also the license itself. This will cost you nothing less than £400. This could be a huge amount for a student just entering the UK and with this forex wahala.

So if you know you cannot pay that amount within 3 months of entering UK, then do not get the PCC in Naija (so that you don't just waste the money in getting it and it expires).

Other jobs for students in UK that I know of do not require PCC.

Let me give you a hint, if you have the money, I will recommend you get the SIA badge. Trust me, security job is one of the best for students in UK. God bless you bro.

good day, i read about this post earlier this year and i justhad to search for it now again.

i have few questions.

Thse SIA badge how easy is it to obtain it assuming someone has the PCC and #400 ? is the training a physical training ? How is the exams like?
and can i get the PCC from any police station in nigeria ?

thanks for your contribution
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:37pm On Aug 28, 2016
umarwy:

good day, i read about this post earlier this year and i justhad to search for it now again.

i have few questions.

Thse SIA badge how easy is it to obtain it assuming someone has the PCC and #400 ? is the training a physical training ? How is the exams like?
and can i get the PCC from any police station in nigeria ?

thanks for your contribution

If you are going for masters I wouldn't advise you to spend money on SIA rather go for other part time jobs that will cost you nothing to start with.

Which city are you going in the UK?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2016
justwise:

If you are going for masters I wouldn't advise you to spend money on SIA rather go for other part time jobs that will cost you nothing to start with.

Which city are you going in the UK?

i am headed for liverpool for my Masters.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:03pm On Aug 28, 2016
umarwy:

i am headed for liverpool for my Masters.

Ok cool you can try Amazon job, they will be opening a brand new processing centre in Manchester next month and will be doing mass recruitment. Amazon job is pretty easy to get but staying is harder because the job is target oriented but you can do it if you are determined.

Their night shift pays about 8.35- £9.50 per hour for a start and £10 after 3 months. Day shift starts from £7.35 to £8.35 after 3 months.

Recruitment agencies like PMP and Transline are the only two agencies that recruit for them, you may also apply directly through Amazon

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 3:26pm On Aug 28, 2016
justwise:

Ok cool you can try Amazon job, they will be opening a brand new processing centre in Manchester next month and will be doing mass recruitment. Amazon job is pretty easy to get but staying is harder because the job is target oriented but you can do it if you are determined.

Their night shift pays about 8.35- £9.50 per hour for a start and £10 after 3 months. Day shift starts from £7.35 to £8.35 after 3 months.

Recruitment agencies like PMP and Transline are the only two agencies that recruit for them, you may also apply directly through Amazon

Thank you, but liverpool to manchester, wont shutlling between two cites be expensive/stressfull.?

off topic how easy can i change usd to pounds in the uk
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 3:34pm On Aug 28, 2016
justwise:

Ok cool you can try Amazon job, they will be opening a brand new processing centre in Manchester next month

So how will he get from Liverpool to the warehouse in Manchester?
Bus to Liverpool train station probably £1-00 or more
Train to Manchester £12-00 or more.
Bus to Amazon another £2-00
Then return back to Liverpool for school.
If the timetable permits this!

Not really helpful advice!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
umarwy:

Thank you, but liverpool to manchester, wont shutlling between two cites be expensive/stressfull.?

off topic how easy can i change usd to pounds in the uk

It's about 45mins traveling time and recruitment agencies do provide transport. Stressful? It's not holiday in Barbados.

Changing $ to £ can be done easily at the post office or your bank
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:42pm On Aug 28, 2016
worry359:

So how will he get from Liverpool to the warehouse in Manchester?
Bus to Liverpool train station probably £1-00 or more
Train to Manchester £12-00 or more.
Bus to Amazon another £2-00
Then return back to Liverpool for school.
If the timetable permits this!

Not really helpful advice!

Is train the only mode of transport between Liverpool and Manchester?

And how do you if he needs bus to get to train station?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 4:02pm On Aug 28, 2016
justwise:

Is train the only mode of transport between Liverpool and Manchester?
And how do you if he needs bus to get to train station?

Amazon warehouse is 5.5 miles outside Manchester at Wythenshawe.
No direct transport from L/pool. Total distance at least 35 miles each way.
Just being realistic.

Probably plenty of un-skilled jobs in L/pool.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 4:08pm On Aug 28, 2016
justwise:

It's about 45mins traveling time and recruitment agencies do provide transport. Stressful? It's not holiday in Barbados.

Changing $ to £ can be done easily at the post office or your bank

Ok thank you I do appreciate.

Have checked the site and saw two vacancies for Liverpool (lead fulfilment associate and a supervisory position)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 4:09pm On Aug 28, 2016
worry359:

Just being realistic.

Please what other jobs do you suggest I can go for
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:10pm On Aug 28, 2016
worry359:

Just being realistic.

You are talking about what you know very little about.

Amazon will not open a warehouse that totally depends on associates without transport means.

That warehouse is located close to Manchester airport so are telling me that there is no public transport to airport?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
umarwy:

Ok thank you I do appreciate.

Have checked the site and saw two vacancies for Liverpool (lead fulfilment associate and a supervisory position)
t

You will not get any of those jobs as a starter and on student visa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 7:18pm On Aug 30, 2016
If the Naira hits N1000 to £1, it means £10,000=N10,000,000. This is one favorable policy for Nigerians in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 6:14pm On Sep 01, 2016
Good day everyone.
Sincerely, this issue has been bordering me for some time.
Please forgive my ignorance.
I am actually thinking of the best way to escape the constantly decreasing value of the Naira after I arrive the UK.

My question is this: assuming my dad deposits money into my GTBANK Nigerian account, is there a way i can possibly convert all to pounds at once and deposit the money into a UK bank account? Are there people who demand Naira in the UK? If YES,where and how can I find these people?, and what is your advice on getting the best rates?

Please I will appreciate your advice.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Odarion: 10:00pm On Sep 01, 2016
smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mcstar(f): 11:22am On Sep 06, 2016
Hi everyone.
Please does anyone know how fixed deposit works in the UK? The interest rate, minimum amount to start with and if a non-citizen can fix money there?
cc: justwise, olowoB, Claremont, and all.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 11:49am On Sep 06, 2016
mcstar:
Hi everyone.
Please does anyone know how fixed deposit works in the UK? The interest rate, minimum amount to start with and if a non-citizen can fix money there?
The highest you are probably going to get is about 4%, and even that is not guaranteed. Most banks offer savings rates below 1%.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 12:02pm On Sep 06, 2016
mcstar:
Hi everyone.

If you are not going to need access to your money for a good few months, you are better off leaving it in a fixed deposit in Nigeria. I believe fixed deposits in Nigeria give rates of >10%, you wouldn't get that rate in UK. You might get a savings account in UK that would pay 5%, but it would come with a restriction to how much you can deposit i.e. most of them do not allow large deposits >£3000. There is no money to be made in cash savings/deposits in UK. If you are not interested in the interest, you can open a deposit account in any bank in UK with your ID and address details.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mcstar(f): 12:18pm On Sep 06, 2016
claremont:

If you are not going to need access to your money for a good few months, you are better off leaving it in a fixed deposit in Nigeria. I believe fixed deposits in Nigeria give rates of >10%, you wouldn't get that rate in UK. You might get a savings account in UK that would pay 5%, but it would come with a restriction to how much you can deposit i.e. most of them do not allow large deposits >£3000. There is no money to be made in cash savings/deposits in UK. If you are not interested in the interest, you can open a deposit account in any bank in UK with your ID and address details.
Thanks for your prompt reply. I just need to get something tight. Do you mean there's a difference between deposit account and savings account? You know, here we have savings and current accounts(not sure if there are others)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mcstar(f): 12:22pm On Sep 06, 2016
dustydee:

The highest you are probably going to get is about 4%, and even that is not guaranteed. Most banks offer savings rates below 1%.
Ok. Thank you. But is there any other way one can get interest or something of sort from one's deposit?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 1:31pm On Sep 06, 2016
mcstar:

Ok. Thank you. But is there any other way one can get interest or something of sort from one's deposit?
That's the interest rate, it just too low.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 10:51am On Sep 07, 2016
mcstar:

Thanks for your prompt reply. I just need to get something tight. Do you mean there's a difference between deposit account and savings account? You know, here we have savings and current accounts(not sure if there are others)

There are current accounts, savings accounts, and fixed deposit bonds. Most fixed deposit bonds allow unlimited deposits but pay 1-2% interest, the savings account that give 4-5% interest have an upper limit restriction on deposits, mostly no more than £3000. There are other savings account that allow unlimited deposits, but they pay 0.5-2% interest. Some current accounts pay interest, albeit very little.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by donasere(m): 5:53pm On Sep 07, 2016
Hello peeps...

Just got into university of aberdeen for IPG. Main ish I want to find out is whether there are scholarships which the school offers and how to go about obtaining them. Thank you

Cc: Justwise
Dustydee
Claremont
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 6:08pm On Sep 07, 2016
donasere:
Hello peeps...

Just got into university of aberdeen for IPG. Main ish I want to find out is whether there are scholarships which the school offers and how to go about obtaining them. Thank you

It would be better to ask your university that question, or look on their website.
People on here can only guess.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mcstar(f): 11:05pm On Sep 08, 2016
claremont:

There are current accounts, savings accounts, and fixed deposit bonds. Most fixed deposit bonds allow unlimited deposits but pay 1-2% interest, the savings account that give 4-5% interest have an upper limit restriction on deposits, mostly no more than £3000. There are other savings account that allow unlimited deposits, but they pay 0.5-2% interest. Some current accounts pay interest, albeit very little.
Thanks. I understand now.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chilez(f): 9:44am On Sep 09, 2016
Good option but I worked in Amazon during my long vacayion cuz of January entry. Its a cool paying job. Part-time is hardly available but if you can enquire in ur area no p. Still work there till today. Although my second trimester starts in 2 weeks so I wud resign from the fulltime Amazon work to face my studies.
justwise:

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chilez(f): 9:48am On Sep 09, 2016
Try Royal mail, Orridge, G4S for events stewards, Securigroup. These are veru flexible paet time jobs u can work with alongside ur studies easily.
umarwy:

Please what other jobs do you suggest I can go for

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.