Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,349 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (164) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (812054 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bourne007(m): 3:53pm On Aug 08, 2016
Breach of Immigration rules. Get caught and you face deportation grin

CapitalCee:
I understand that foreign students are allowed to only work for 20 hours a week, that's too small you know considering that for someone like me that wants to go for masters, it's only one year. Please my ogas, can I get a side job dat can offer me extra cash, aside from the allowed allocated 20 hrs per week. It's too hard you know. Please guy clarify me
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 7:45pm On Aug 08, 2016
CapitalCee:
I understand that foreign students are allowed to only work for 20 hours a week, that's too small you know considering that for someone like me that wants to go for masters, it's only one year. Please my ogas, can I get a side job dat can offer me extra cash, aside from the allowed allocated 20 hrs per week. It's too hard you know. Please guy clarify me
grin

Just hope that there isn't a change in policy with the new government that would cancel the 20 hours a week. Stick to your 20 hours a week, you can work unlimited hours during your holidays. If you are doing an MSc, you wouldn't want to work more than 20 hours a week anyway, except you are not aiming for a Distinction.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bourne007(m): 12:37am On Aug 10, 2016
Hey Dustydee, never used Rhemito before and seems to be active while the usual suspects are suspended. How reliable are they? Cheers

dustydee:

Chai!, when I checked a 2 days ago they seemed to be fine. I hope Rhemito stays active.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 6:43am On Aug 10, 2016
There's this rumour going about on the internet about the UK introducing visa free entry for members commonwealth countries coming in for less than 6months stay. does anyone know how credible this info is?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 6:47am On Aug 10, 2016
creamyworkz:
There's this rumour going about on the internet about the UK introducing visa free entry for members commonwealth countries coming in for less than 6months stay. does anyone know how credible this info is?

If this were real it would be all over every British newspaper.
Just a lie on some boys blog.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 10:48pm On Aug 10, 2016
creamyworkz:

Haha cheesy

The UK is thinking of restricting free movement access to EU citizens, why would the UK now grant free movement to commonwealth citizens?! Think about it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nmeri17: 3:07am On Aug 12, 2016
spikesC:

Intredasting grin

I'm travelling home this month. I think I am going to enjoy my stay grin
Ornezzly idk why this your laughter dh gimmie joy grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by elope: 10:45am On Aug 12, 2016
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 9:53pm On Aug 13, 2016
elope:
http://answersafrica.com/commonwealth-uk-free-visa-endorsement.html
how true is this?

I don't know why but the information on that page does not make any sense. Maybe because, it doesn't tally with the facts on ground (especially about recourse to public funds)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:03pm On Aug 13, 2016
elope:
http://answersafrica.com/commonwealth-uk-free-visa-endorsement.html
how true is this?

The alleged fraudster spreading that news is a wanted woman. Her name and picture appeared on the list of wanted individuals by British govt.

That said, I'm surprised that people actually believed that false news.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by elope: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2016
justwise:

The alleged fraudster spreading that news is a wanted woman. Her name and picture appeared on the list of wanted individuals by British govt.

That said, I'm surprised that people actually believed that false news.
you cnt blame us for not believing. we believe almost anything we see online. at least now we know its not true.
thanks tho
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 5:30pm On Aug 15, 2016
Please students in the UK, how have you been receiving money from Nigeria?

So far, I have paid half of my sch fees by transferring Naira to sm1 in d UK's Nigerian GTB Account. He den exchanges ds Naira in d UK for N507 to £1. I dont really know hw he does it or if GTBank charges him transaction expenses. Dis method ws only recommended to me. I just hope am nt being cheated.

I didnt use Form A cos i felt it will waste time as I am applying for visa now. After my visa, i think I cn calm down and pay d remaining tuition tru Form A. I heard it offers a cheaper rate dan blak market. Is ds true?

Can my living exp also be sent to me using form A. Please what method do u guys use to receive payment? Or what do u recomnend I do?

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 7:46pm On Aug 15, 2016
BarryJones:

So far, I have paid half of my sch fees by transferring Naira to sm1 in d UK's Nigerian GTB Account. He den exchanges ds Naira in d UK for N507 to £1. I dont really know hw he does it or if GTBank charges him transaction expenses. Dis method ws only recommended to me. I just hope am nt being cheated.

I didnt use Form A cos i felt it will waste time as I am applying for visa now. After my visa, i think I cn calm down and pay d remaining tuition tru Form A. I heard it offers a cheaper rate dan blak market. Is ds true?

Can my living exp also be sent to me using form A. Please what method do u guys use to receive payment? Or what do u recomnend I do?

Thanks
That young man cheated you big time. Why didnt u send money to someone in the UK via moneygram or western union? Living expenses cannot be sent tru form A. You will have to withdraw with ur mastercard at the bank atm rate. As at today stanbic rate is 469 if u withdraw with their atm debit card. na waaa..dat guy has really cheated u oooo.. he couldnt even charge 500
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cosade(m): 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2016
BarryJones:
pls how do they dress to class in the UK.. i am planning on taking a lot of native ankara and lace dressess. with a few coporate shirts and a suit.Is it true that clothes are cheaper over there? also will our normal nigerian sweater be enough to protect me from the cold over there? what are the food items & kithen utensils i need to take along?.thanks

I can see that you're really getting prepared for your master's programme, that's good. You don't need a lot of native dresses but your shirts and suits would be good. You'll definitely need more than the 'normal Nigerian sweater' over there but could be of use initially when you arrive. Don't burden yourself with any cooking utensils.

By the way I have responded to your email and we can talk better. Cheers!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 10:56pm On Aug 15, 2016
BarryJones:

Interesting rates, didn't know its gone that high. High rates are good for people working in UK who send money home, bad for people coming to UK. So, while some people want the rates to go down, I'm selfishly hoping that it continues to go up till it reaches N1000 to £1. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 7:03am On Aug 16, 2016
fizzile:
That young man cheated you big time. Why didnt u send money to someone in the UK via moneygram or western union? Living expenses cannot be sent tru form A. You will have to withdraw with ur mastercard at the bank atm rate. As at today stanbic rate is 469 if u withdraw with their atm debit card. na waaa..dat guy has really cheated u oooo.. he couldnt even charge 500

With the daily and monthly cummulative limits place on atm and pos withdrawals i doubt if he can withdraw that much through atm. last i tried with my uba i could only withdraw a max of 50pounds a day. sending moneygram and western union from nigerian banks has also been placed on hold by most banks. Its just so annoying

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 7:08am On Aug 16, 2016
BarryJones:

Thanks

I'ld say you should contact student finance department in you school, obviously they are aware of the issues with money transfer from Nigeria since they get alot of applications from Nigeria. they will let you know the available payment methods. some schools now have seperate package for Nigerians to pay their fees. just my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 7:13am On Aug 16, 2016
creamyworkz:

With the daily and monthly cummulative limits place on atm and pos withdrawals i doubt if he can withdraw that much through atm. last i tried with my uba i could only withdraw a max of 50pounds a day. sending moneygram and western union from nigerian banks has also been placed on hold by most banks. Its just so annoying
Yeah you are right but how then do these people expect us to cope with all these? The whole thing is annoying and frustrating. They expect us to make us of BDCs. Even the PTA thing isn't working the way it ought to.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 7:17am On Aug 16, 2016
fizzile:
Yeah you are right but how then do these people expect us to cope with all these? The whole thing is annoying and frustrating. They expect us to make us of BDCs. Even the PTA thing isn't working the way it ought to.

Masses on the recieving end of the effects of incompetencies on the part of our leaders
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 7:34am On Aug 16, 2016
creamyworkz:

Masses on the recieving end of the effects of incompetencies on the part of our leaders
We simply have an insensitive leader at the sit of power. The old man isn't bothered. But creamyworkz, what do u suggest? especially now that many will be travelling soon.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mrcodebreaker: 8:58am On Aug 16, 2016
creamyworkz:

I'ld say you should contact student finance department in you school, obviously they are aware of the issues with money transfer from Nigeria since they get alot of applications from Nigeria. they will let you know the available payment methods. some schools now have seperate package for Nigerians to pay their fees. just my 2 cents

which school has separate package abeg
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 3:01pm On Aug 16, 2016
fizzile:
We simply have an insensitive leader at the sit of power. The old man isn't bothered. But creamyworkz, what do u suggest? especially now that many will be travelling soon.

What i will advise is that anyone coming should be ready to work part-time, ita just the way to go, if you are very rich and don't have any problem with the exchange rate, then you don't have to if you don't want to. Although i won't advice working during your first semester, you might need to focus more since its a new system, new environment you might wanna try to get used to the mode of teaching get to know what they expect in the exams and all, den after your first semester you sure won't need money from home, you can even make enough to send home if u like(depending on how high ur hustle spirit is). but if you feel you can cope den you can start working d moment you get here. my opinion is based on the fact that i changed field nd resumed late so it was rough at first bt i found my bearing
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2016
mrcodebreaker:

which school has separate package abeg

Trust me these schools need your money and they are ready to get it by any means. majority of applications they get for post-graduate programmes are from Nigeria. there are more nigerians in my class than any other nationality. schools like Robert Gordon, Uni Aberdeen i know have arrangements for Nigerians to pay their fees
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 3:08pm On Aug 16, 2016
creamyworkz:

Trust me these schools need your money and they are ready to get it by any means. majority of applications they get for post-graduate programmes are from Nigeria. there are more nigerians in my class than any other nationality. schools like Robert Gordon, Uni Aberdeen i know have arrangements for Nigerians to pay their fees

Very true.

I had admission to Manchester but I knew many Nigerians went there for that course, so I selected another university that I thought wasn't so popular. I went there and found that almost half of the masters students in my department were still Nigerians. grin

Chai!! The money that Nigeria is giving to this UK ehn...smh

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2016
spacyzuma:

Very true.

I had admission to Manchester but I knew many Nigerians went there for that course, so I selected another university that I thought wasn't so popular. I went there and found that almost half of the masters students in my department were still Nigerians. grin

Chai!! The money that Nigeria is giving to this UK ehn...smh

Abi o, and yet they treat us like criminals at poe. if they see a Nigerian they'll beef up secuirity. lol

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 1:35am On Aug 25, 2016
Hey guys, please is there anyone here at Coventry?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 9:21am On Aug 25, 2016
Please does anyone know which money transfer sites still work for sending money to Nigeria? Western Union and Money gram rates are not too good.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 2:19pm On Aug 25, 2016
CapitalCee:
Oga, the 20 hrs is not small for students, except,if you don't want to enter class. Do you think you can do your course work with 40hrs per week? Perhaps you will have a lot of hours to work after your program.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bikat: 9:23pm On Aug 25, 2016
I AM IN THE UK SO I CAN SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE, PLEASE CHOOSE CANADA AND USA BEFORE CONSIDERING THE UK. REASON - THE UK IS NO LONGERIMMIGRATION FRIENDLY BUT IT IS STILL BETTER THAN MOST RACIST COUNTRIES, THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE UK IS THAT YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY AS SOON AS YOU GRADUATE. HENCE, CANADA AND USA ARE MUCH MORE BETTER
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:10am On Aug 26, 2016
bikat:
I AM IN THE UK SO I CAN SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE, PLEASE CHOOSE CANADA AND USA BEFORE CONSIDERING THE UK. REASON - THE UK IS NO LONGERIMMIGRATION FRIENDLY BUT IT IS STILL BETTER THAN MOST RACIST COUNTRIES, THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE UK IS THAT YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY AS SOON AS YOU GRADUATE. HENCE, CANADA AND USA ARE MUCH MORE BETTER

Please pay attention to rule number 11

(1) (2) (3) ... (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.