Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,146 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809807 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 10:19pm On Sep 14, 2014
justwise:

Thanks to adaobi then.. Because I almost deleted my NL account.. was so angry..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Hahahahahahaha grin cry . Afraid catch me I no go lie.

I don't think I'll be willing to shell out £30+/month for only dedicated broadband oo and I don't think Uni accommodation will even allow me install such hardware for that service. I go just jeje manage 3 UK all-you-can-eat mobile data Add-on. angry

They would allow you.
Also, note that you can only tether a maximum of 2GB a month on that data

Emmagency:

Hehehe... Think I'm gonna go with it and if there's a comma, I just swallow it as part of life kinda bad decisions and opt out...since it's a monthly deal anyway..

Vectone has a fair use policy of 3000MB and you can not tether the data
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
paradisewoods: wen u pick a connecting flight to a country, if u reach d first country wud they allow u move around pending the time the connecting flight is ready?

justwise:

You will not be allowed to leave the airport.

Infact, you'll not be allowed to leave the transit area.
Be very careful about following the right passage in the airport, it can get you in big trouble
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 12:22am On Sep 15, 2014
spikesC:
Vectone has a fair use policy of 3000MB and you can not tether the data

Thats what they say;
I tether up to 3 devices with my Vectone when i'm on the train. Thats the only time i get to use the data and i maximise it!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:14am On Sep 15, 2014
735i:

Thats what they say;
I tether up to 3 devices with my Vectone when i'm on the train. Thats the only time i get to use the data and i maximise it!

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Am signing up immediately. That was the only reason i turned there offer down grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 3:25am On Sep 15, 2014
HudsonBanks:

My sweet goodness shocked shocked Master!! @210gb average/month *passes out*. I'm a learner in data usage close to you oo.

Please how much did it cost you to setup and how much in total does it cost you per month?

Edited: Never mind I've gotten my answers from your post above.

My present usage for September is .... I am what you call a light user. Not forgetting about 10gb monthly on my mobile.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 3:51am On Sep 15, 2014
spikesC:

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Am signing up immediately. That was the only reason i turned there offer down grin

Lol... Stay there... I'll have Internet both in school and hostel so it's a pretty good deal for when I'm hanging out....cos I'd like to #instagramthatpic right on the spot and not have to wait till I return home simply because my mobile plan doesn't have data included... although they did mention that they have the right to change the deal at any point...but until then. grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:06am On Sep 15, 2014
Emmagency:

Lol... Stay there... I'll have Internet both in school and hostel so it's a pretty good deal for when I'm hanging out....cos I'd like to #instagramthatpic right on the spot and not have to wait till I return home simply because my mobile plan doesn't have data included... although they did mention that they have the right to change the deal at any point...but until then. grin

True man. Though i need a new phone, still confused on the best way to go about it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 7:09am On Sep 15, 2014
spikesC:

True man. Though i need a new phone, still confused on the best way to go about it.
as e dey hot
grin grin
Go with the below....

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 8:00am On Sep 15, 2014
Lexusgs430:

My present usage for September is .... I am what you call a light user. Not forgetting about 10gb monthly on my mobile.

Wow see men of Data shocked , guzzling data with 9" pipeline while I'm still using Chapman straw angry . I don't even qualify as a learner yet with my meagre 20gb Max usage per month.

Anyways the good thing is that I learn very fast and I'm sure I'll join the data sucking club in no time when I arrive the UK , na condition dey make me adjust back here in Naija grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 8:05am On Sep 15, 2014
kingsilly:
as e dey hot
grin grin
Go with the below....

You na real winsh grin grin No be only below na above grin grin

They way I dey see you no go enter phone contract oo.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 8:16am On Sep 15, 2014
HudsonBanks:

You na real winsh grin grin No be only below na above grin grin

They way I dey see you no go enter phone contract oo.
grin grin....no oooo just giving our fwend spikesC an idea tongue
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 8:24am On Sep 15, 2014
DonOms:

Excursion at the airport it is. Which country is the airport in? If it's Dubai, you should be able to get the visa at the airport I believe. By the way, have you sorted out the accommodation thing? You didn't mention again.

My boss DonOms yeah its dubai sir, as for the accommodation I planned booking and hotel and searching for myself. The ones i am seeing online seems fraudulent, one even asked me to credit his nigerian account . Na so I see am o
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 8:26am On Sep 15, 2014
spikesC:

Infact, you'll not be allowed to leave the transit area.
Be very careful about following the right passage in the airport, it can get you in big trouble

thanks boss, pls what do u mean by right passage
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 8:49am On Sep 15, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Wow see men of Data shocked , guzzling data with 9" pipeline while I'm still using Chapman straw angry . I don't even qualify as a learner yet with my meagre 20gb Max usage per month.

Anyways the good thing is that I learn very fast and I'm sure I'll join the data sucking club in no time when I arrive the UK , na condition dey make me adjust back here in Naija grin

Lol. Data consumption in the uk is like fresh air. And the speed of upload and download, is almost like the speed of light(not light supplied by PHCN).

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 8:51am On Sep 15, 2014
paradisewoods:

thanks boss, pls what do u mean by right passage

Don't attempt to check out of the terminal, if you are not sure, ask a member of staff.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 8:57am On Sep 15, 2014
kingsilly:
grin grin....no oooo just giving our fwend spikesC an idea tongue

Welly done eh grin . @spikesC you should consider this popular Oneplus One phone, for a reasonable $300(180quid) you get a phone in the class of them M8's and S5's. Me I'm getting one immediately I have my UK bank account and PayPal sorted.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 10:10am On Sep 15, 2014
justwise:

£20 is not bad, i guess the package includes landline as well?
yes with land line
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 10:31am On Sep 15, 2014
3sha4lyf:

Wow. My nonsense uni had Internet in the uni accommodation but they were wired. Do you can't use them on your phone's, except of course you did something fishy, but the IT technicians would track you fast fast.

So in such a situation, I would just grab the unlimited data plan.

Use connectify. It uses your laptop as a hotspot.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 10:33am On Sep 15, 2014
Emmagency:
http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/offers/student-mobile-deals.aspx

I use it but it may just be temporary and may soon be replaced by another product. So enjoy it while it lasts.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 10:36am On Sep 15, 2014
paradisewoods:

My boss DonOms yeah its dubai sir, as for the accommodation I planned booking and hotel and searching for myself. The ones i am seeing online seems fraudulent, one even asked me to credit his nigerian account . Na so I see am o

It's better you don't pay anything to any landlord. It is risky. If you get to Sunderland and you need any help, you can send me a PM. As for the Dubai transit, just make sure you remain in the terminal areas that concern your flight (arrival and depature). If you have questions, ask any airport official. Just relax there and try to get busy, 6 hrs will pass away in no time.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 10:36am On Sep 15, 2014
spikesC:

Me got myself a nice S5 from an authorised Samsung dealer in Naija before travelling... was going to ask, these phones offered by carriers, part of the deal is that you stay on their network at least until you pay for the phone completely right? Can you change carrier after you've paid for the device in full?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 10:48am On Sep 15, 2014
pls i just left first bank now out of annoyance. I was told PTA is no longer cash and that I ll.be given a card . I feel thats not cool enough
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 10:53am On Sep 15, 2014
DonOms:

It's better you don't pay anything to any landlord. It is risky. If you get to Sunderland and you need any help, you can send me a PM. As for the Dubai transit, just make sure you remain in the terminal areas that concern your flight (arrival and depature). If you have questions, ask any airport official. Just relax there and try to get busy, 6 hrs will pass away in no time.

Thanks boss. One Love. I really appreciate
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:55am On Sep 15, 2014
6hrs? Jeez but air maroc is just 2 hrs between flights. 9hrs total flight duration and it's 76k
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:40am On Sep 15, 2014
cookies: Hello house, pls can anyone advice me on how to go about, installing sky tv & broadband in my flat? Just moved in. Thanks.

log on to their website, after signing up they'll ring you to book an appointment for the engineers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 11:55am On Sep 15, 2014
Emmagency:

Me got myself a nice S5 from an authorised Samsung dealer in Naija before travelling... was going to ask, these phones offered by carriers, part of the deal is that you stay on their network at least until you pay for the phone completely right? Can you change carrier after you've paid for the device in full?

Once you see your phone contract through (typically 2 years), you can either wish the current provider bye bye and lose your number or transfer your number to another network provider (pac code required from previous supplier).
Or switch to a sim only package which gives you a better package, for about £20 - £25 cheaper (network dependent) .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 12:12pm On Sep 15, 2014
paradisewoods: pls i just left first bank now out of annoyance. I was told PTA is no longer cash and that I ll.be given a card . I feel thats not cool enough

Yes oooh. The idiots told me because I have a Mastercard, Im not eligible to buy PTA.. funny enough, the card didn't work upon arrival at Heathrow. Thank God for my GT Mastercard as I had no single cash on me. I called them after settling and they told me my account needs address verification. Their days are numbered sha..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 12:39pm On Sep 15, 2014
Emmagency:

Yes oooh. The idiots told me because I have a Mastercard, Im not eligible to buy PTA.. funny enough, the card didn't work upon arrival at Heathrow. Thank God for my GT Mastercard as I had no single cash on me. I called them after settling and they told me my account needs address verification. Their days are numbered sha..

but its not fair now, y wud they give us card instead of PTA cash, so they can debit us again when we withdraw?

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.