Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,704 members, 7,955,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:07 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (828682 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 4:23am On Sep 18, 2014
hello Everyone, pls whats the maximum PTA I can buy? I was at acces bank yesterday and I was told 4000 dollars which is equivalent to 2416 pounds. Pls if buy 2416 hope i wont b harassed at the airport for money laundering? secondly I got the rate of 272 for 1 pounds, hope its a good rate. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gbemmiey: 7:13am On Sep 18, 2014
Good morning guys! Finally here. So I'm going to book arik one way direct. I really hope arik is good cause its the cheapest direct i saw.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 10:05am On Sep 18, 2014
paradisewoods: hello Everyone, pls whats the maximum PTA I can buy? I was at acces bank yesterday and I was told 4000 dollars which is equivalent to 2416 pounds. Pls if buy 2416 hope i wont b harassed at the airport for money laundering? secondly I got the rate of 272 for 1 pounds, hope its a good rate. Thanks

If you're going with an amount more than €9000 then you'll have to declare it at the poe
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 10:17am On Sep 18, 2014
paradisewoods: hello Everyone, pls whats the maximum PTA I can buy? I was at acces bank yesterday and I was told 4000 dollars which is equivalent to 2416 pounds. Pls if buy 2416 hope i wont b harassed at the airport for money laundering? secondly I got the rate of 272 for 1 pounds, hope its a good rate. Thanks

Sorry did u mean £2416 or £24160
Just kidding. There's nothing to worry about. Ure below the official limit to declare, say you even wanna carry raw cash for easy spending.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2014
I followed my oga spikec advise to pay for my tuition fee with my GTB mastercard and it all went fine at the rate of 270 to 1 pounds yesterday
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 2:33pm On Sep 18, 2014
spikesC:

official rate. They're all the same, just maybe a little bit difference

Okay. The last transaction I had was 265NGN for 1GBP. I hardly believed it was real.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 5:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
Please house, which is better and cheaper in buying PTA at N272 per £1 or just coming to the uk with your naira Master/visa Card?

Thanks

Please gurus in the house answer ur boy o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 6:10pm On Sep 18, 2014
Bambamzzzz: I followed my oga spikec advise to pay for my tuition fee with my GTB mastercard and it all went fine at the rate of 270 to 1 pounds yesterday

I'm not sure you used the Form A thingy to pay your fees, or did you? Would have been way cheaper. Gtb hit my account too hard when I paid fees with my M/card simply because someone wanted me to go to naija and teach'em how to do the Form A thingy.

I think the Form A is better n cheaper for fees
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 6:53pm On Sep 18, 2014
3sha4lyf:

I'm not sure you used the Form A thingy to pay your fees, or did you? Would have been way cheaper. Gtb hit my account too hard when I paid fees with my M/card simply because someone wanted me to go to naija and teach'em how to do the Form A thingy.

I think the Form A is better n cheaper for fees

Please am confused here. whats Form A?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 7:03pm On Sep 18, 2014
Please house, which is better and cheaper in buying
PTA at N272 per £1 or just coming to the uk with
your naira Master/visa Card?
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 7:05pm On Sep 18, 2014
paradisewoods:

Please am confused here. whats Form A?

Lamely put, Form A is the CBN's way of making students pay their fees at the cbn rated thru their banks. So you get your payment details, submit it to ur bank, fill the form A, submit other supporting documents like the statement showing your pending fees, etc. And they deduct the fees equivalent from your account, with the cbn rate which is cheaper than bank rates, and pay directly to ur uni.
HTH
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 7:12pm On Sep 18, 2014
paradisewoods: Please house, which is better and cheaper in buying
Thanks

Due to the nature of exchange rates, that question is difficult to answer. The rate was #265 per £ last Friday (ATM) and was #270 per £ yesterday (POS) and today it was a high #274 per £ (POS). So, tell me how best to answer your question? smiley .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 9:07pm On Sep 18, 2014
gbemmiey: Good morning guys! Finally here. So I'm going to book arik one way direct. I really hope arik is good cause its the cheapest direct i saw.

Good luck flying Arik bro. May your luggage never go missing (Amen!!) smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 9:12pm On Sep 18, 2014
paradisewoods: Please house, which is better and cheaper in buying
Thanks

You may come in with about 1-2k pounds and make use of your cards for subsequent withdrawals. You go just dey monitor the exchange rates and quickly run go withdraw some more if the rates don fall grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gbemmiey: 9:27pm On Sep 18, 2014
FutureDon:

shocked amen o!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tjbrown: 9:47pm On Sep 18, 2014
pls guys where can I change naira to pounds in Lagos. Can someone travel with only MasterCard with the hope of withdrawing at ATM machine in the airport
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 18, 2014
gbemmiey:

shocked amen o!

Really, LOL
especially @ your icon/emo cheesy

Safe trip
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 11:27pm On Sep 18, 2014
FutureDon:

Don't mind dem Gbemmy...notin wrong with arik air..our "DRIVER" used it last week..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 12:14am On Sep 19, 2014
tjbrown: pls guys where can I change naira to pounds in Lagos. Can someone travel with only MasterCard with the hope of withdrawing at ATM machine in the airport

You can use your Mastercard to withdraw at Heathrow. Make sure it's any other bank but Firstbank because those people are so useless. For the third time, my card has been declined this time at primark today..GT Mastercard to the rescue again. I'm going to call them tomorrow and I know they will certainly have another rubbish to tell me. And they won't sell PTA. angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 12:29am On Sep 19, 2014
FutureDon:

You may come in with about 1-2k pounds and make use of your cards for subsequent withdrawals. You go just dey monitor the exchange rates and quickly run go withdraw some more if the rates don fall grin

Thanks boss, pls where can i monitor d rate
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gbemmiey: 8:31am On Sep 19, 2014
milychocs:

Really, LOL
especially @ your icon/emo cheesy

Safe trip

Thanks smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gbemmiey: 8:32am On Sep 19, 2014
kingsilly:

Don't mind dem Gbemmy...notin wrong with arik air..our "DRIVER" used it last week..

Lol, rme
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
Use royal air maroc
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2014
spikesC:

If someone would pick you up at Heathrow, you better load credit on your phone to call them.
The free wifi at Heathrow didn't work.
There is also charging spots on the building pillars, so you should have your charger close in case your phone is down.

Which phone am I supposed to load? My Nigerian phone?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 3:53pm On Sep 19, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

If yes, you better use it to SMS d person to call you back or you beep the person steadily cos e no get how you wan take explain "I'm coming out now" or meet me in front of xyz" when ur roaming with naija network. Only "hello" sef, na die. But I've heard with Etisalat, if u top up with 5k, u can receive calls free in the UK when u roam ON T-MOBILE Network for one month.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tjbrown: 4:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
Emmagency:

You can use your Mastercard to withdraw at Heathrow. Make sure it's any other bank but Firstbank because those people are so useless. For the third time, my card has been declined this time at primark today..GT Mastercard to the rescue again. I'm going to call them tomorrow and I know they will certainly have another rubbish to tell me. And they won't sell PTA. angry

thanks bro
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:11pm On Sep 19, 2014
3sha4lyf:

If yes, you better use it to SMS d person to call you back or you beep the person steadily cos e no get how you wan take explain "I'm coming out now" or meet me in front of xyz" when ur roaming with naija network. Only "hello" sef, na die. But I've heard with Etisalat, if u top up with 5k, u can receive calls free in the UK when u roam ON T-MOBILE Network for one month.

I can't recharge 5k oo. That Na almost £20
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 6:52pm On Sep 19, 2014
^^ lmao..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 9:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
gbemmiey:

Lol, rme

Arik is ok..only two food on d menu thou..white rice nd jollof..e no dey beleful
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:15pm On Sep 19, 2014
Bambamzzzz: I followed my oga spikec advise to pay for my tuition fee with my GTB mastercard and it all went fine at the rate of 270 to 1 pounds yesterday

wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:19pm On Sep 19, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

you can, i came with mine and am still using it.
Before i came, i ported to Glo as they were far cheaper. 30Naira per minute to receive calls and send SMS, 100N per minute to make calls. Its free to receive sms

I recharge via gtb internet banking
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:20pm On Sep 19, 2014
kingsilly:

Arik is ok..only two food on d menu thou..white rice nd jollof..e no dey beleful

Them give you rice you dey complain. You no hear say air maroc give us cup of coffee grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.