Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent (27705 Views)

The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market / $1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting / One Of The Paris Terrorists Was Of Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by PhysicsQED(m): 3:59am On Apr 23, 2012
Katsumoto: I think it's time to provide some perspective.

There many Nigerians in many cities in the UK; Manchester, Birmingham, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Bath, Berkshire, Birmingham, London, etc. There are also many Nigerian families in the many different boroughs of London. There are approximately 32/33 boroughs. The Boroughs where Nigerian kids are likely to get into trouble are Lambeth, Southwark, and Hackney. And even in those three main boroughs, Nigerians kids are leaving high school with great results.

There is no need for outsiders to think that there is a good chance that a Nigerian kid can get into trouble with the law. The truth is being stretched at this point. It has been estimated that there are at least 5 million nigerians in the UK. The number of Nigerian kids who have made the headlines for the wrong reasons is less than 150 and I am being generous. That some Nigerian kids got into trouble doesn't other kids are in trouble or in danger of being in trouble.

The UK is a small country relative to the US and also small to the US in terms of violent crime. Negative news about violent crime is likely to get more coverage in the UK than in the US. It just means if Nigerian kids in the US get into trouble, it's not going to get as much coverage.

Thanks for this post. So the post by the OP was basically off by a wide margin and she got the wrong impression based on a few news stories. This clears things up a lot.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 4:00am On Apr 23, 2012
PhysicsQED:

"Poverty" (calling what poor blacks in the UK experience "poverty" sounds ridiculous by the way, are they really impoverished in the real sense?) is not an explanation. It's a description, at best. Same for "class".

"Long working hours" also isn't an explanation. That's an excuse at best. My (middle class) parents also had and have long working hours.

"Lack of role models" isn't an explanation (see African Americans, who have role models in all areas of human endeavor even before affirmative action or even civil rights, yet their youth have the same problems)

I believe that the mistake that you're making here is ignoring the psychologic difference from one person to another.

"Long working hours" is by itself one of the best explanation. Not every body is caught out to be a mother or a father. Not everybody deals with stress factor the same way. There have been researches done to prove that lack of parental monitoring has large influence on children. In today's economy, the last thing most parents want to do is sit/chat with their children after a long day at work. Long working hours provide little energy to attend to any child, talkless of a misbehaving child.

Study shows that teens engage in delinquent acts between 2pm (when school ends) and 8pm. During that time frame, parents are usually at work.

I'm a little confused here tho; what do you define as an "explanation"/ "description". . . . . Any of the stages of Bronfenbrenner's Ecological Systems Theory could influence a child's behavior. From a direct parental influence to a parental's work stress.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 4:01am On Apr 23, 2012
shymmex:

5million Nigerians in the UK? shocked

That number is ridiculous, I doubt we're upto 1million max. I didn't expect the great Kats to make that mistake.

Dude,

That number includes illegal aliens; I got that number from an informal source.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 4:07am On Apr 23, 2012
Nnenna1:
I wonder how the Nigerian experience in the UK is - it seems that they are well assimilated with the Caribbean groups. How does this play out with family dynamics (i.e. single parent household, problems with school, etc)?

I think the assimilation kind of started in the late 90s - to early 2000s. Before that, we never used to get along. And it depends on what part of London, you were raised in - but the bulk of your friends, are still exclusively Nigerians.

I don't think the single parent household thing is a Caribbean thing - this has more to do with the welfare system. Most of the Nigerian parents who came straight from Nigeria, and never mixed with Caribbeans - did the same thing. Most of the Nigerian kids born and raised here were raised in single parent households - I don't think you can blame the Caribbeans for that.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 4:09am On Apr 23, 2012
Katsumoto:
Dude,
That number includes illegal aliens; I got that number from an informal source.

I don't think the source is accurate, but I may be wrong.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by PhysicsQED(m): 4:10am On Apr 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I believe that the mistake that you're making here is ignoring the psychologic difference from one person to another.

"Long working hours" is by itself one of the best explanation. Not every body is caught out to be a mother or a father. Not everybody deals with stress factor the same way. There have been researches done to prove that lack of parental monitoring has large influence on children. In today's economy, the last thing most parents want to do is sit/chat with their children after a long day at work. Long working hours provide little energy to attend to any child, talkless of a misbehaving child.

Study shows that teens engage in delinquent acts between 2pm (when school ends) and 8pm. During that time frame, parents are usually at work.

I'm a little confused here tho; what do you define as an "explanation"/ "description". . . . . Any of the stages of Bronfenbrenner's Ecological Systems Theory could influence a child's behavior. From a direct parental influence to a parental's work stress.

I think the issue here is single parent homes. A single parent home can't raise a child adequately while the parent has long working hours. The one thing I didn't disagree with shymmex on was his "absentee fathers" statement. With 2 parents in the home, long hours won't be as much of an issue. If they both work and split taking care of the kids between each other, they'll still have more time for the kid or kids than one person working and trying to take care of the kid or kids just because the labor will be divided. And if only 1 of the 2 is actively working, even better.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 4:16am On Apr 23, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I think the issue here is single parent homes. A single parent home can't raise a child adequately while the parents have long working hours. The one thing I didn't disagree with shymmex on was his "absentee fathers" statement. With 2 parents in the home, long hours won't be as much of an issue. If they both work and split taking care of the kids between each other, they'll still have more time for the kid or kids than one person working and trying to take care of the kid or kids just because the labor will be divided. And if only 1 of the 2 is actively working, even better.

I see.

Another problem I think I should bring up: A parent's will to want to train/ bring up their children. Having all the time in the world neither guarantees nor result in a well brought up child.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 4:21am On Apr 23, 2012
Nnenna1:

Despite all of the political tension between Asian nations (referring to Japan, Korea and China), East Asians, as far as the US is concerned, are very close knit. At my work place we have a team of Japanese, Taiwanese and South Korean people and they relate to each so well, at times to the exclusion of the White and Black employees.

It would be nice if we could imbibe some of their ability to work any system to their collective advantage. It seems that no matter the countries they immigrate to they excel as an immigrant group.

Nigerians? Hmm...I guess racism can be as far as advancing Black immigrant is concerned, but as some people highlighted I wish we were geared more towards entrepreneurship and the creation of enclaves where positive opportunities will be available for us and only us. We are obviously more individualistic than we think.

I wonder how the Nigerian experience in the UK is - it seems that they are well assimilated with the Caribbean groups. How does this play out with family dynamics (i.e. single parent household, problems with school, etc)?

I have to say I agree with the bolded part.

Even when Nigerians are close knit, their sketchiness is too much. they tend to be there for you when everything is alright, but scatter when things go down.

For the red part: Excuses. Nigerians in the US also live close to Caribbeans, but they're not as easily influenced as Nigerians in the UK.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by babamann(m): 6:11am On Apr 23, 2012
PEOPLE, MAKE I TALK MY OWN PLEASE - MAY I OPEN UNA EYE SMALL - I USE TO RUN WITH THE BLACK GANG - PECKHAM BOYS, I DIDNT JOIN THE GANG AS PEOPLE BELIEVE, I WAS LIVING THERE, A 15 YEAR OLD WHO JUST GOT KICKED OUT OF MY AUNTIES HOUSE, MY DAD IN NIGERIA IS TOO PREOCCUPIED TO SUPPORT, MY MUM - AS SOON AS SHE REACH HERE, SHE LEFT WITH ANOTHER MAN, SO I WAS PRACTICALLY BY MYSELF IN A HOSTEL, NOW IN THIS HOSTEL, THERE WAS NO FORM OF DISCIPLINE, WE GO AND COME WHEN WE PLEASE, WHEN WE DO BAD, NO PUNISHMENTS, SO I WAS FRIENDS WITH A GROUP OF BOYS IN MY HOSTEL, MY HOSTEL IS IN BRIXTON AND THESE BOYS WHERE FROM PECKHAM, THEY TRIED TO BULLY ME BUT WHEN I SHOW THEM THAT I USE TO BE A GRAMMARIAN FROM BARIGA, I WAS LEFT ALONE, BUT I ALWAYS SAW THESE GUYS AS YOUNG AS THEY WAS WITH NEW TRAINERS, MONEY, CARS AND GIRLS, SO I WAS LIKE, NIGGA, LET ME GET SOME OF THAT, THEY WHERE LIKE -Y NOT, SO I STARTED SHOTTIN (SELLING DRUGS), THESE TIMES WE WHERE ALL IN THE SAME BUSINESS SHARING THE PROFIT, WHITE, BLACK, CHINKO, NAIJA, GHANA, CONGO, SOMALI, SO ITS LIKE WE WHERE ALL STARVING AND WANTED TO MAKE MONEY, BUT BECAUSE WE WHERE ALL LIVING IN THE SAME AREA, WE WHERE CONSIDERED THE PECKHAM BOYS, THERE WHERE CRAZY ONES AMONG US, MAINLY NAIJA, WHITE AND CONGO, THOSE ONES LIKE ROBBIN AND SHOOTIN PPL A LOT AND I MEAN, THE NEWS DONT KNOW HALF OF WATS HAPPENING, SOME OF THEM HAD A PURE EVIL HEART, I WAS IN THIER GANG BUT I DO MY OWN THIN WIT MY CREW WHICH WAS JUS ALL ABOUT MONEY, SOME GET INTO BEEF WITH ANOTHER GROUP, THEN SOMEONE INNOCENT WILL GET KILLED, SOMETIMES THE RIGHT PERSON GETS KILLED, BUT ITS JUS CRAZY, THE YOUNGER GENERATION JUST WANTED TO BE LIKE THIS MINUTE NUMBER OF OLDERS, THEY WHERE A LOT OF ABANDONED KIDS AT THIS TIME, AND BELIVE WHEN I SAY THESE KIDS HAVE THEIR OWN MIND AND DONT LISTEN TO THE OLDERS, THEY EVEN KILL THE OLDERS, SO FROM THERE, THIS GANG EPIDEMIC STARTED 2000 - TILL NOW, NAIJA KIDS WITH NO DAD OR MUM, LIKEWISE THE ONES WITH A NICE RICH FAMLILY, WHERE ALL GETTING DRAWN INTO IT, THE REASON WAS THAT THESE KIDS HAD 50CENT AND BLING, WHERE IN MY DAY SNOOP DOGG DIDNT RAP MUCH ABOUT EVEN A ROLEX, SO THESE KIDS JUS WANTD TO HAVE EVERY THING WITHOUT THINKING BOUT SHIT, AND THESE SAME KIDS ARE NOW OLDER AND IS BEING ON THE NEWS NOW, DURING MY TIME, IT WAS REALLY QUIET AND PEOPLE HARDLY DIED ON THE SCALE WE HAVE NOW, WELL ITS JUS GETTING CRAZY, AM SOON MOVING BACK TO NIGERIA AFTER I SEND MY TRUCKS, I WILL NEVER RAISE ANY KID IN THIS COUNTRY, BECAUSE AT THE TIME THEY ARE 12, YOU HAVE A 50-50 CHANCE THAT THEY DONT TURN BAD, AND THEY CAN BE BAD AND YOU WILL NEVER KNOW, WELL I DONT WANT TO RAISE MY KID IN AN ESTATE FLAT, GOING TO THE LOCAL SCHOOL WHEN I CAN LIVE IN A MANSION FOR THE SAME MONEY IN NAIJA - KAI, I JUS LAUGH WHEN PEOPLE TELL ME ABOUT HOW THEY WANT TO COME HERE, I THINK ITS KOOL WHEN U DONT HAVE PAPER, BUT ONCE YOU GET LOGGED INTO THAT SYSTEM, YOU BECOME A COMMODITY WHERE YOU CAN BE MILKED FOR EVERYTIN, SO THIS GANG THING IN LONDON IS NOT DOWN TO NIGERIANS, ITS DOWN TO THE BRITISH SYSTEM, I HAVE SINCE LEFT GANG LIFE AND STILL GO TO FUNERALS UP TILL NOW, THE GOVERNMENT CREATED THESE GANGS, AND THE SYSTEM TEACHES PEOPLE TO BE SELFISH AND THINK ABOUT THEMSELVES ONLY,
ANY QUESTIONS??
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 6:18am On Apr 23, 2012
Katsumoto: I think it's time to provide some perspective.

There many Nigerians in many cities in the UK; Manchester, Birmingham, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Bath, Berkshire, Birmingham, London, etc. There are also many Nigerian families in the many different boroughs of London. There are approximately 32/33 boroughs. The Boroughs where Nigerian kids are likely to get into trouble are Lambeth, Southwark, and Hackney. And even in those three main boroughs, Nigerians kids are leaving high school with great results.

There is no need for outsiders to think that there is a good chance that a Nigerian kid can get into trouble with the law. The truth is being stretched at this point. It has been estimated that there are at least 5 million nigerians in the UK. The number of Nigerian kids who have made the headlines for the wrong reasons is less than 150 and I am being generous. That some Nigerian kids got into trouble doesn't other kids are in trouble or in danger of being in trouble.

The UK is a small country relative to the US and also small to the US in terms of violent crime. Negative news about violent crime is likely to get more coverage in the UK than in the US. It just means if Nigerian kids in the US get into trouble, it's not going to get as much coverage.

All this has been made known to the OP by various posters and with different examples. Yet, like a stone unable to take in water, he keeps repeating talk that indicate black youth of Nigerian origin are being swallowed by gang culture because of a peasant-like existence that is our lot due to "lack of opportunity". It was always obvious that OP was a mischief maker. I have been to several States in the USA. If I were to speak about my general impression of black folks in the USA, OP would never remain as gracious as we have been in the face of his demeaning generalisations and misinformation he continues to peddle ungraciously about the UK. It is just that good grace makes me understand that my own opinion should not be passed off as facts or general information.

Look, no Estate agent in leafy suburbs of Essex (Elm Park, Hornchurch, Emerson Park, Upminster, Cranham et al) is unaware of how Nigerian professionals have been buying in the area in droves in the past 10-15 years mainly to escape London and give our children the best opportunities aligned, first and foremost, to living near good Schools and away from the areas likely to mire them in retrogressiveness. This is why the kids on this forum (from the way they speak anyway) need the wisdom to understand the tiers of existence relating to all of us in the UK. We are all at different points in life but , by Gods grace, we will all get where we need to get to. It is wrong for a 20 year old in Brixton to think his own life is typical of that faced by most black folks of Nigerian origin. Plain wrong !!!!

Nigerians, more than most Africans IMO, put in the effort to excel and generally never stop trying to better themselves. Their comparative success is there for all to see even as we have various ways of quantifying success. I am no capitalist. In fact I believe in the idea of a better distribution of wealth encouraged by promoting principles of societal cohesion and interdependence while downplaying excessive worship of 'bling' wealth for the sake of it and "me-myself-and-I" accumulation culture ruining the nation that binds us all - Nigeria.

In OP I see vestiges of the Nigerian mentality that makes him think success is a garish display of wealth others must notice when , in fact, "opportunities" and success is relative to the conditions you live with. The Nigerian family with a 6 bedroom home in Sugarland, Houston, Texas, are not , in real terms, more successful or happier than the Nigerian family with a much smaller 4-bedroom terraced home in Wimbledon. It is clear OP came to the UK and got carried away with the usual need to generalize about the relatively smaller homes, cars and more restrained lifestyle in the UK without making account for how the two Nations (America and the USA) and its people are very different in so many ways.

This is why I have not joined your slant on the debate about wealth/success comparison between groups. That is not what this debate is about. OP wants to indicate that average black folks of Nigerian origin have not been given a fair crack of the whip in comparison to the USA. I strongly disagree and I think his parameters , and indeed motives, are all wrong.

Personally, it please me to see many Nigerian families enjoying a decent income that pays their mortgage (maybe even stretch to second or third home ownership) look after the kids, pays for the two cars on the driveway and generally uphold the family dignity Nigeria , a long time ago, decided to starve its people of. In the grand scheme of things, and for well-travelled folks who know other industrialised nations beyond the UK and the USA (specifically European Nations) it is clear the UK is in the right direction regardless of what disgruntled elements think. It is not Hotel Paradiso but it is not a Port in Badagry either with slaves enroute to plantations.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by andyanders: 7:19am On Apr 23, 2012
Simple answer.because, 90% of Nigerians in the UK are of Yoruba ethnic group hence the crime rate in the UK compared to like America whereby you have different ethnic groups.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:21am On Apr 23, 2012
@babamann

What's gud, G? Are you sure you're a narm soldier?

Fam, what's your tag? dun noe.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 7:23am On Apr 23, 2012
sosodat:

@Gbawe, why are you so freakishly defensive?.....are you one of the Queen's royal family in disguise??...lol

Anyway, it doesn't take much to know Nebeuwa was talking about "take on Asians and other groups" by blacks in the vein of excelling and outshining them.

Also, even as you're very successful in the Uk with a couple of your friends as you said, that is not a reason, why we should dwell on our laurels and not push on to break the glass ceiling (posing questions when we think our youths/we are going in the wrong direction), earning more, been in prominent and recognized positions(in a higher %) and also hoping and working on how it will become true for more percentage of blacks in the Uk

grin grin grin grin Not so at all - even if it may seem like that. You cannot speak for Nebeuwa. One minute he is a concerned Party wanting to know why black folks of Nigerian origin have a peasant-like existence, down to the UK being "bereft" of "opportunies".

Next minute , chastised from how folks have rejected his crass generalisations, he switches tact to talk about "taking on the Asians" Why should a well-adjusted person view things in the format of "excelling and outshining" as you propose in defense of Nebeuwa? The golden rule is to give it 100% plus do your best always and that will naturally have its just rewards.

And in case you still don't get it, my defense of the UK is based on the fact that I rate the Country highly because I have travelled well enough to see what the UK is in relation to many nations of the world. You will even get more discrimination and downright hatred from so-called fellow brothers in some Countries in Africa than is the case in the West!!!

Those who live in the UK may not appreciate it but let them go and reside in Russia, Italy, Spain, Greece et al for a month to see that their complaints are somewhat inconsequential in so far as , relatively, you are safe and can work, eat and live comfortably here . Spain, for example, is still so 'bush' that little kids make big lips signal at black folks !!! Personal experience !!!

Shymmex and Brixtonyute are my 'aburos' (younger brothers). I pray for their success and development. I am not patronising them, but they should remember that I am telling them now that their perspective will change in future when they really begin to know the world and relate issues better. The UK is not perfect but it is far better than most other places and black folks can see the genuine efforts being made to improve affairs.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by babamann(m): 7:24am On Apr 23, 2012
shymex, wats [b]ur [/b]tag g??
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:28am On Apr 23, 2012
babamann: shymex, wats [b]ur [/b]tag g??

Oi fam, old pekky man, from yellow brick. You know diamond and dem mans from Norf peckham estate?

Man left the bits time ago for uni in the country, and I haven't returned since then. I just go down to check my fing when I'm about, stil.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by babamann(m): 7:34am On Apr 23, 2012
yea, i know diamond and his lil bro,
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by babamann(m): 7:35am On Apr 23, 2012
but them man been missing for long, do u kno larry?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 23, 2012
How do you measure "SUCCESS"?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:37am On Apr 23, 2012
babamann: yea, i know diamond and his lil bro,

If you know dem mans, you should know me, g... Man used to jam wit cigar, mad Larry, sisquo, chucky, Femi and dem mans.

Wats gud tho, g? Mans moving back to naija as well. London bridge is burning down!!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:37am On Apr 23, 2012
babamann: but them man been missing for long, do u kno larry?

Yh, g.. I know mad Larry and dem mans..
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:44am On Apr 23, 2012
oHHH kAAAYyyyyyy. . . . . I see this has now turned into some kinda gang re-union party.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by wowo2: 7:47am On Apr 23, 2012
was going to say the same... cheesy
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by babamann(m): 7:48am On Apr 23, 2012
If you know dem mans, you should know me, g... Man used to jam wit cigar, mad Larry, sisquo, chucky, Femi and dem mans.

lol, am sure u will know me then truss, dont kno whu ciga is, but sisqo my boy still, me and larry was in gci 2geda, and chucky aswell, i stop hangin out wif man dem a year after i come out of pen, i did 3yrs in bing, sisqo was in pen at that time as well, dats was like in 2002-2003, i turned around slowly after dat, u got a tag?? yea men, am movin back for good gee, these niggaz dont understand how man grind out here, wat mans go tru everyday, the police and wat not, everyone in the hood is starving, every endz got a hood and people starve there, naijas who end up in the hood starve, easy maths,!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by babamann(m): 7:50am On Apr 23, 2012
shymmex:

Yh, g.. I know mad Larry and dem mans..

R.I.P LARRY
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 7:58am On Apr 23, 2012
kingoflag: oHHH kAAAYyyyyyy. . . . . I see this has now turned into some kinda gang re-union party.

My brother, you see how, ultimately, Shymmex has proven me correct? If you ran with gangs in inner London borough, how on earth can you hold that to be representative of many young Nigerians now growing up comfortably and conventionally in Essex, Kent, outer suburbs of London and Counties far away from London like Surrey et al? even the worst estates in london still produce great kids !!! There are even many areas of London that remain good places to raise kids. All I see with the contribution of Shymmex and Brixtonyute is the egotism and relative inexperience of youth that makes one think it is all about moi.

Somehow, some who have found themselves in the 'lifestyle' have to insist childishly everything must feature their own experience. Here, I like Babamann's contribution immensely and wish him the best. He is a realist. He blames no one but society. He has not offered excuses of poverty, racism and disenfranchisment like others. Indeed he is even reconnected with Nigeria and actively involved there to the point he wants to raise his kids there. This is a chap who highlights honestly what we have been saying all along. I.e societal issues made him make the wrong choices and he now recognises that so strongly to the point he is rejecting raising his kids where he feels they may also fall victim to the pressures that caused him grief.

Babamann's honest submission is a stark contrast to the closed-minded talk of those who want to make their own experience definitive of "normal".

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 23, 2012
babamann:
lol, am sure u will know me then truss, dont kno whu ciga is, but sisqo my boy still, me and larry was in gci 2geda, and chucky aswell, i stop hangin out wif man dem a year after i come out of pen, i did 3yrs in bing, sisqo was in pen at that time as well, dats was like in 2002-2003, i turned around slowly after dat, u got a tag?? yea men, am movin back for good gee, these niggaz dont understand how man grind out here, wat mans go tru everyday, the police and wat not, everyone in the hood is starving, every endz got a hood and people starve there, naijas who end up in the hood starve, easy maths,!

I hear that!!! Dem fresh 9ja uncles don't understand, dem roads ain't easy, blud. Ciga is diamond,and timmy's older brother, he got shifted wit abbey and dem mans from deptford. Dem mans r doin 11yrs in the bing. Diamond and timmy r doin 15yrs, blud. Man had to leave dem roads as well, fings aint pretty out there. some guy was giving man bare jokes earlier chattin bout there is no poverty in the uk lol.

Mandem r hungry, g. neva had a tag tho, mandem call me by the first part of my first name. UK just breed niggaz to raise for taxes when they get a job, the country don't care about niggaz, truss. feds r on everyone case for no reason, amn can't even walk down the road without being stopped, even wen u dress smart. phuck the feds. Uk is dead! Naija is home man, truss. I cant be a slave to tax and debt for the rest of my life, g. It's just a vicious cycle of poverty. phucking government closing down all youth centres and dat, where are dem youngaz gonna go to avoided gangs and crimes? Naija is home!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 23, 2012
Gbawe:
My brother, you see how, ultimately, Shymmex has proven me correct? If you ran with gangs in inner London borough, how on earth can you hold that to be representative of many young Nigerians now growing up comfortably and conventionally in Essex, Kent, outer suburbs of London and Counties far away from London like Surrey et al? even the worst estates in london still produce great kids !!! There are even many areas of London that remain good places to raise kids. All I see with the contribution of Shymmex and Brixtonyute is the egotism and relative inexperience of youth that makes one think it is all about moi.

Somehow, some who have found themselves in the 'lifestyle' have to insist childishly everything must feature their own experience. Here, I like Babamann's contribution immensely and wish him the best. He is a realist. He blames no one but society. He has not offered excuses of poverty, racism and disenfranchisment like others. Indeed he is even reconnected with Nigeria and actively involved there to the point he wants to raise his kids there. This is a chap who highlights honestly what we have been saying all along. I.e societal issues made him make the wrong choices and he now recognises that so strongly to the point he is rejecting raising his kids where he feels they may also fall victim to the pressures that caused him grief.

Babamann's honest submission is a stark contrast to the closed-mindedness talk of those who want to make their own experience definitive of "normal".

You keep repeating the same rhetoric, who told you I'm not highly educated? I turned my life around, went to uni, graduated with a 2.1 in computer science - and I've a professional certification. And you know what? Getting back to my NAIJA roots helped me make that decision - not the messed up system. The system breeds TAX SLAVES!!!

You keep talking about these "conventional" kids in Essex, Kent, Surrey etc. - like I don't live in the country myself. Everything you keep alluding to are overrated. These kids are even worse off than the ones from council flats - the girls mostly end up being sluts, like their white counterparts, and the guys raised there are either yobs, or weak minded kids. They're the types who think getting drunk in the pub is British. I don't even want to go into that - just keep posting your comments - and keep creating another class issue, which will make the already messed up Nigerian community in the UK - divided in future.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by vanitty: 8:12am On Apr 23, 2012
LMAO
Funny thread.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 23, 2012
I know Naija kids raised in Enfield, Neasden, Essex etc. who are gang members - the system is messed up. Being black in Kesington won't stop the police from stopping an searching you - who told you there are no gangs in these places, you claim as safe haven for raising "conventional" kids? I know a naija kid raised in one of the best places in Birmingham, and when I met him - he said he has been gang banging since he was 13years old - and he showed me all the gun shot wounds on his body.

If you're an insider, you would know what I'm talking about, the system is messed up.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by babamann(m): 8:34am On Apr 23, 2012
shymmex:

I hear that!!! Dem fresh 9ja uncles don't understand, dem roads ain't easy, blud. Ciga is diamond,and timmy's older brother, he got shifted wit abbey and dem mans from deptford. Dem mans r doin 11yrs in the bing. Diamond and timmy r doin 15yrs, blud. Man had to leave dem roads as well, fings aint pretty out there. some guy was giving man bare jokes earlier chattin bout there is no poverty in the uk lol.

Mandem r hungry, g. neva had a tag tho, mandem call me by the first part of my first name. UK just breed niggaz to raise for taxes when they get a job, the country don't care about niggaz, truss. feds r on everyone case for no reason, amn can't even walk down the road without being stopped, even wen u dress smart. phuck the feds. Uk is dead! Naija is home man, truss. I cant be a slave to tax and debt for the rest of my life, g. It's just a vicious cycle of poverty. phucking government closing down all youth centres and dat, where are dem youngaz gonna go to avoided gangs and crimes? Naija is home!

yea i kno wagwan wif them yutes, they use to come drop me weed at woodhouse, yea men, this country is very, very dead, i always say i can make lagos state better than dubai if given a chance, they doing it all wrong, am beginning to empty my flat small, small, moving there soon, i wont lie, i jus hustle as it is hard to get a job with my shhet. i once made a mistake of keeping money in my yard and one day wen everytin was cool, my house got searched from sayin they got a report of shouting to saying they can smell weed to searching my yard, (dats how they work), finding no weed but the feds still took my stack and try charge me wif money laundering, wen they culdnt get anything, i was told to bring proof, under proceeds of crime act, i know loads of uncles and man dem who have lost cars, mortgages and wat not basically i had to start all over again, now i have the habit of sending even my clothes to nigeria. i jus got off bail cant wait to reach naija and use my experience to make lagos a better place for all, i always tell them yungaz, remember u nigerian, use ur sense in whatever u do, next thin, they killd sum1 or got killed, certain guys find religion, but i tink them yute should allow the crack and evil mind and tink money, they can be kings in their fatherland, make the place better and more independent, get rid of all the obansanjo, ibb and all their family, take naija to a new era where all will be happy with good roads, electricity, free health, like i mean naija produces oil for Bleep sake, am not saying those in power shuldnt eat but fuckin hell, give to the ppl, like how much money can u have, or keep before u be like ibori, -be like brown and blair who r jus enjoyin as they out of power now, so my guy, i think the problem about naija ppl, starts from naija, the sooner the woman in the market that sell garri from a table realise she is entitled to a shop, the better! [code][/code]

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by babamann(m): 8:41am On Apr 23, 2012
shymmex: I know Naija kids raised in Enfield, Neasden, Essex etc. who are gang members - the system is messed up. Being black in Kesington won't stop the police from stopping an searching you - who told you there are no gangs in these places, you claim as safe haven for raising "conventional" kids? I know a naija kid raised in one of the best places in Birmingham, and when I met him - he said he has been gang banging since he was 13years old - and he showed me all the gun shot wounds on his body.

If you're an insider, you would know what I'm talking about, the system is messed up.

u are very right bruv, and yes connecting with your naija roots will def wake u up, but whoever will be bad, will be bad , if u gonna change, it wil happen, look at olders like mopo frm unilag!! so its a personal tin, anyone will bang if it seems attractive and sin is attractive so..
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 23, 2012
shymmex: I know Naija kids raised in Enfield, Neasden, Essex etc. who are gang members - the system is messed up. Being black in Kesington won't stop the police from stopping an searching you - who told you there are no gangs in these places, you claim as safe haven for raising "conventional" kids? I know a naija kid raised in one of the best places in Birmingham, and when I met him - he said he has been gang banging since he was 13years old - and he showed me all the gun shot wounds on his body.

What are you guys shooting yourselves with, Peas shooters or BB guns?! undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply)

Achuba Sworn-In At Yahaya Bello's Home / Uche Onyeaguocha Arraigned In Court For Tearing Fake Result At Collation Center / Army Arrests Kenneth Kobani, SSG, Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.