Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,735 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent (27715 Views)

The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market / $1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting / One Of The Paris Terrorists Was Of Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 22, 2012
Katsumoto:
Please find a list for BLACK folks in the UK.

You don't even need to post all that, a trip to Birmingham on a Saturday night - or a hindu temple on a Sunday morning will show you how far they're ahead of blacks.. Asians own most of the real estate in West Midlands.. They're at least 60 years ahead of blacks in everything in the UK.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex: @naijababe

Don't EVER compare Asian success in the UK, to BLACKS - those guys are at least 60 years ahead of blacks in the UK. I went to Uni in Birmingham, and Asians are far ahead of us in everything, except football.

Misrepresentation of facts and numbers again! You'll draw the same conclusions if you went to Uni in Leicester, Bradford and Manchester. Like I said before, proportional representations pls.

According 2008 census, there are 1.1M blacks of which only 0.5M are Africans, in the same vein there are 2.4M Indians, isn't it only reasonable to see higher numbers for asians if comparing absolutes? I tire for una, abeg!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

and how can we critically analyse the topic without looking at the roots and causes of this crime wave?
the social, economic and the political indices have to be discussed at length.
guess who's silly now?

You're silly because most of the posts are about which of the groups are more successful - and how does equate to critically analyzing the topic?? You don't analyze by comparing two different struggles - you analyze by looking at what's responsible for the crime wave.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 9:54pm On Apr 22, 2012
Remember when you compared blacks with Asians, that whites consider Asians the "Model Minority. They have that stereotype, which helps them in many ways.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 9:55pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex:

That's the funniest apart of the whole back and forth on this thread. You don't need to argue about the success rate of Nigerians in America, it's already glaring that they're better off than the ones in the UK - and definitely more educated. Only insecure people won't accept that.

Back to the topic.

success rate in imprisonment, you must mean.
is there any nigerian male in prison who hasn't been to jail? grin

shymmex:
You're silly because most of the posts are about which of the groups are more successful - and how does equate to critically analyzing the topic?? You don't analyze by comparing two different struggles - you analyze by looking at what's responsible for the crime wave.

and if you're not a perpetual patient of the madras eye, then you should have seen my first contribution
on this topic. reprobates like yourself just jump on a thread without perusing and then open the cess-pit
you called a mouth and make bogus claims.

there are more black criminals in the usa than in the uk. absolute or in proportions, the
statistics are spine-chilling! i dunno how anyone would look at the life n times of young
black males in america and opine they are more successful than their counterparts in other countries on the planet.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe:
Misrepresentation of facts and numbers again! You'll draw the same conclusions if you went to Uni in Leicester, Bradford and Manchester. Like I said before, proportional representations pls.

According 2008 census, there are 1.1M blacks of which only 0.5M are Africans, in the same vein there are 2.4M Indians, isn't it only reasonable to see higher numbers for asians if comparing absolutes? I tire for una, abeg!

I'm talking in proportion with their population. Give me the statistics that says blacks are better off in the UK, because I sure don't see that - and I have lived in the UK all my life.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by room702(m): 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

and we should blame that on institutionalised racism? grin grin grin grin

what I'm saying is, we should support each other more just like the Asians and the white people. institutionalized racism isn't going anywhere in the UK we all know that
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe:

Even if you compare absolutes, the numbers for BLACK folks is not anywhere near that for Indians. Please come up with 8 names for BLACK folks to compare with the list I provided and include footballers and artists.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:
success rate in imprisonment, you must mean.
is there any nigerian male in prison who hasn't been to jail? grin

This guy is confused. Go play in traffic.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 10:00pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex:

This guy is confused. Go play in traffic.

typo but the point still stands.
i expect a loser like yourself to leave the main issue and
concentrate on the intangibles.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:00pm On Apr 22, 2012
How can you even compare blacks to Asians, especially when whites view them as a closer race of people - to themselves. We're beneath the Asians in everything.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

typo but the point still stands.
i expect a loser like yourself to leave the main issue and
concentrate on the intangibles.

Correct the typo and be more coherent next time.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 10:03pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex: How can you even compare blacks to Asians, especially when whites view them as a closer race of people - to themselves. We're beneath the Asians in everything.

And that is the sad truth. undecided
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 10:04pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex:
Correct the typo and be more coherent next time.

take your own advice, you homoerotic nuisance.

shymmex:
That's the funniest apart of the whole back and forth on this thread. You don't need to argue about the success rate of Nigerians in America, it's already glaring that they're better off than the ones in the UK - and definitely more educated. Only insecure people won't accept that.
Back to the topic.

i didn't even have to dig deep. grin
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

take your own advice, you homoerotic nuisance.

i didn't even have to dig deep. grin

At least, you can understand what I was trying to say in my post - but yours was incoherent.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 10:10pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex:

At least, you can understand what I was trying to say in my post - but yours was incoherent.

That's the funniest apart of the whole back and forth on this thread

"apart of"? that's gross ineptitude.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Freesia(f): 10:11pm On Apr 22, 2012
@ Nebeuwa,
You asked some questions and received some answers but your responses have turned to be contradictory.

Visiting a place and living in a place are two different things,you say you visited London,did you travel anywhere else? there is more to England than just London,and you may be surprised to hear this but not all successful Nigerians live in London.Many might work in the city but commute to other towns you know like some people work in New York but commute to Jersey or CT

Having lived in both sides of the Atlantic I have seen first hand that race plays the biggest role in both countries but that hasn't stopped hard working and determined Africans from getting to where they want to be in both continents
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 10:12pm On Apr 22, 2012
I have to love the Nigerian spirit. We all enjoy competing with ourselves in anything we do. But can we not have more group cohesion, so we can take on Asians and other groups?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by igbo2011(m): 10:12pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex: How can you even compare blacks to Asians, especially when whites view them as a closer race of people - to themselves. We're beneath the Asians in everything.
It is also in the mentality of blacks in general. We have a low self esteem because everything is always negative when it comes to black. We are taught through media, history, and religion that we are inferior and black is bad. Black is evil and terrible. Even the world black is usually negative like black death, black out, black hole, black market, etc. The only time it is good is for accountants. https://www.nairaland.com/793468/english-language-racist

We need to learn our great history, change the image of god to an African man, and change our media to make us positive on it so we can uplift our self!!

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 22, 2012
@ Katz, so you've substituted your 2011 rich list tack for a different one? If black power list wasn't for sale I'd have posted it.

I still don't understand how comparisons between Asians who are started migrating in the 60s with Africans whose major exodus was not until the late 80s and mid 90s is valid to you?!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 22, 2012
coogar:

That's the funniest apart of the whole back and forth on this thread

"apart of"? that's gross ineptitude.

Phuck off!!

is there any nigerian male in prison who hasn't been to jail?
^^^ Is that coherent?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by igbo2011(m): 10:14pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa: I have to love the Nigerian spirit. grin We all enjoy competing with ourselves in anything we do. But can we not have more group cohesion, so we can take on Asians and other groups?
I am trying to start a movement around the world. Ever since the beginign of hte year I only bought Nigerian clothes and I spend a lot of my money in my community. I buy African food, clothes, produts, I tour in Africa. Here is a list of things that you can do: www.nigerianedp.com
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe: @ Katz, so you've substituted your 2011 rich list tack for a different one? If black power list wasn't for sale I'd have posted it.

I still don't understand how comparisons between Asians who are started migrating in the 60s with Africans whose major exodus was not until the late 80s and mid 90s is valid to you?!

Correction:

Blacks have been in the UK in large numbers since the 1800s. Read the history of blacks in the UK.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Krucifax(m): 10:16pm On Apr 22, 2012
Most posters here are missing some real issues. The OP's post is based on recent gang related crimes in the news commited in London by Black youths of African(Nigerian descent).
However i want to point everyone here to the bigger picture,do you know there are far more crimes being commited by older Nigerians on an individual basis? Did you also know that most crimes by Nigerians are by Nigerians that came to England as adults and should presumably know better?

You can list a whole lots of reasons for above from (lack of opportunity,to ineligibility to fit into the working system,lack of working papers,previous crime records,lack of relevant skills,lack of funds to acquire said skills,personal incompetence,wrong mentality,lack of work opportunities..etc) the list is endless.

Most people here are talking about black youths in gangs from Peckham to Brixton and Tottenham estates(where 99.9% of these thugs live),but what of the Tundes,Musas,Emekas? All in the mid-30s to early 40s involved in fraud(credit cards,postal,document acquisition),drugs (Marijuana,Heroine,Cocaine) Theft (Car jacking and export,sale of stolen goods).

You can hardly name 10 Naija people you know in England that at least 1 isn't involved directly or indirectly with one form of runs in England. My point is that the so called "crime way" no be today.Also most of it is been commited by Nigerians that are educated and supposedly grew up in proper, stable, God fearing family units.This is a fact and if you live here you know it's true!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by coogar: 10:18pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex:
Phuck off!!

go f@ck yourself!!

^^^ Is that coherent?

prison is different from jail - so it's coherent.
although, that wasn't what i intended.
in a nutshell, practise what you preach!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 22, 2012
igbo2011:
It is also in the mentality of blacks in general. We have a low self esteem because everything is always negative when it comes to black. We are taught through media, history, and religion that we are inferior and black is bad. Black is evil and terrible. Even the world black is usually negative like black death, black out, black hole, black market, etc. The only time it is good is for accountants. https://www.nairaland.com/793468/english-language-racist

We need to learn our great history, change the image of god to an African man, and change our media to make us positive on it so we can uplift our self!!

I concur 100%!! That's why most Nigerian kids in the UK have a messed up mentality. Most are raised to believe they're "Briton" - when they're just Britons on paper, but the system views them as immigrants. Till we start embracing our African-ness, the problem won't stop. It has been like that for generations.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 22, 2012
Krucifax: Most posters here are missing some real issues. The OP's post is based on recent gang related crimes in the news commited in London by Black youths of African(Nigerian descent).
However i want to point everyone here to the bigger picture,do you know there are far more crimes being commited by older Nigerians on an individual basis? Did you also know that most crimes by Nigerians are by Nigerians that came to England as adults and should presumably know better?

You can list a whole lots of reasons for above from (lack of opportunity,to ineligibility to fit into the working system,lack of working papers,previous crime records,lack of relevant skills,lack of funds to acquire said skills,personal incompetence,wrong mentality,lack of work opportunities..etc) the list is endless.

Most people here are talking about black youths in gangs from Peckham to Brixton and Tottenham estates(where 99.9% of these thugs live),but what of the Tundes,Musas,Emekas? All in the mid-30s to early 40s involved in fraud(credit cards,postal,document acquisition),drugs (Marijuana,Heroine,Cocaine) Theft (Car jacking and export,sale of stolen goods).

You can hardly name 10 Naija people you know in England that at least 1 isn't involved directly or indirectly with one form of runs in England. My point is that the so called "crime way" no be today.Also most of it is been commited by Nigerians that are educated and supposedly grew up in proper, stable, God fearing family units.This is a fact and if you live here you know it's true!

The thread is about violent crime, not fraud. Don't derail the topic.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 10:21pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe: @ Katz, so you've substituted your 2011 rich list tack for a different one? If black power list wasn't for sale I'd have posted it.

What did I substitute? Times Rich list usually lists 1000 people. I just found the top 20 Asians, now find the top 20 Black folks and lets compare. grin

You are one trying to wriggle out; so now it's Africans and it depends on when they started migrating to the UK? I never said Africans; I grouped all Black folks together. There are many reasons why Blacks are doing as well as Indians but you have to pay for that sermon. grin
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:24pm On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex:

Correction:

Blacks have been in the UK in large numbers since the 1800s. Read the history of blacks in the UK.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin [size=16pt]OK[/size]
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 10:24pm On Apr 22, 2012
igbo2011:
I am trying to start a movement around the world. Ever since the beginign of hte year I only bought Nigerian clothes and I spend a lot of my money in my community. I buy African food, clothes, produts, I tour in Africa. Here is a list of things that you can do: www.nigerianedp.com

Nice! I support this 100%.

Where I live, I support black owned businesses as well. We need to learn how to keep wealth within our community. Why is it that Koreans in the U.S. own every hair products stores in urban areas? It is stuff like that, which boggles my mind.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa: I have to love the Nigerian spirit. We all enjoy competing with ourselves in anything we do. But can we not have more group cohesion, so we can take on Asians and other groups?

You do know that Asians have no group cohesion right?

There's as much ethnic hatred in China/India than in Nigeria.

I doubt Nigeria's problem is lack of group cohension, infact Nigerians are closer to each other out of Nigeria than inside Nigeria. I think Nigeria's problem is fast success (fast money).
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin [size=16pt]OK[/size]

Records show that black men and women have lived in Britain in small numbers since at least the 12th century, but it was the empire that caused their numbers to swell exponentially in the 17th and 18th centuries.

As the British empire expanded, African and Afro-Caribbean slaves were ferried across the seas to work on plantations in the Caribbean or the Americas, where they had to do back-breaking labour all their lives under the scalding sun.

Not for nothing did a coin - the guinea - derive its etymology from the West African region of that name

Others, in much smaller numbers, were ferried into the ports of London, Liverpool and Bristol - on the same ships that brought imperial products such as tea, sugar, cotton, coffee, rum, fruit, wine, tobacco and oil to enrich the national economy.

Not for nothing did a coin - the guinea - derive its etymology from the West African region of that name, the area from which hundreds of thousands of indigenous people were seized against their will. For traders of 17th- and 18th-century Britain, the African was literally a unit of currency.

Those who came to Britain were often brought in by planters, government officials, and military and naval officers returning to the United Kingdom. Slaves were seen as reassuring companions, who might staunch some of the loneliness felt by the white expatriates on their long voyages back to an island they had not seen for decades.

Other black people were offered to the commanders of slaving vessels as gifts, and were later sold into domestic service at quayside auctions or at coffee-houses in London, where they were given names such as John Limehouse or Tom Camden.

Slavery was legal in Britain until 1772, and many of these Africans found themselves working as butlers or other household attendants in aristocratic families. Their duties were not necessarily onerous; their chief function often seems to have been just to look decorative. They served as human equivalents of the porcelain, textiles, wallpapers and lacquered pieces that the English nobility was increasingly buying from the east.

These enslaved people were often dressed in fancy garb, their heads wrapped in bright turbans. Owners selected them on the basis of their looks and the lustre of their young skin, much as dog fanciers today might coo and trill over a cute poodle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/black_britons_01.shtml

^^^ Laugh at that! wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

Anthony Okwori, A Soldier Killed By Boko Haram In Borno (Pics) / FG Equips Anambra State Fire Service With 2 Brand New Fire Fighting Trucks (Pix) / BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.