Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent (27683 Views)

The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market / $1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting / One Of The Paris Terrorists Was Of Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by tpia5: 6:05pm On Apr 21, 2012
Gbawe:

Look, it is well established what third generation Nigerians are. Let us not begin discrediting a legitimately accepted category migratory pattern has created.

See the link below. Focus on Box 1: Nigerian Migration history.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1fy8ZK7K3ggC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=UK+third+generation+nigerians&source=bl&ots=AvzP1Zoal7&sig=cNAgNvdxwV920kHWcPg7HiUmtZY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=O-eST6vBN5OV0QXvsLiCAg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=UK%20third%20generation%20nigerians&f=false

^ this issue has been discussed before, on nl.

maybe I'll post some info if necessary.

I'll check out your link though.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by tpia5: 6:08pm On Apr 21, 2012
@ gbawe

Immigrant generations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_generations

In the United States:

In the United States, among demographers and other social scientists, the term "second generation" is used to refer to the U.S.-born children of foreign-born parents
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 21, 2012
You're posting information about people, who are in the minority... You can help yourself out - by comparing the population of Nigerians in the UK in the 60s and 70s - with 80s-90s - to get a clearer picture.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by tpia5: 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2012
contd (gbawe)

so, second generation should refer to the kids of first generation immigrants who were born and raised in the new country.

This is assuming the parents naturalized and/or lived permanently in the same country as well.

if the first immigrants in the family, moved back to the home country eventually, taking their kids with them, then technically they wouldnt be first generation immigrants.

when the kids return to the country of birth for permanent residence, then they would be considered first generation though they could also be called second if splitting hairs.

but for all intents and purposes, they are first generation due to the permanency or length/longevity of their stay.

if the parents (as currently obtains) stay in the new country to raise their kids who were born there, then they can be considered first generation due to the fact that they are the ones braving the "newness" or pioneers (subjectively speaking) so to speak.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by tpia5: 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2012
i think the confusion here is who should be considered first generation:

the kids born abroad, or their parents who returned to nigeria after a while.

or overall immigration patterns (ie should the subject be analyzed by time frame).
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2012
^^^ Why are you even arguing first/second generation with the guy - when the country doesn't even care if you're first, second, or tenth generation... When you apply for jobs - it's still African, or caribbean - on every form... The funniest part is that, first or third generation - you're still a Nigerian out here to the system..

That's the way the system classifies people - people like Gbawe just get hype, over ceremonial stuff.. I have learnt my lessons, that I'm as Nigerian as a freshie, with British passport - who got off the boat two seconds ago...

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2012
You can post as many articles written by 'know all' journalists, or academics - but you can't know more than a guy, who used to part of the UK gang culture (in the largest Nigerian community in the UK), and has worked with kids in gangs...

I'm done with the back and forth, for today.

I'm out!!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2012
Nebeuwa: There seems to be a wave of criminality that is impacting British of Nigerian descent. Everyday, we here news of another young Nigerian either committing a crime, or being the victim of crime in the United Kingdom. What I want to know is what is the problem?

The same cannot be said of Nigerians who live in the United States. It is very rare that you hear about a Nigerian in the United States being involved in a gang. It is so rare, that I have never heard of such, even though I know it probably does exist. Are there any differences between the Nigerians in the United States and Nigerians in the United Kingdom?

I have my own hypothesis, in which Nigerians in American want to differentiate themselves from African Americans who are often seen at the lower levels of United State society, but Nigerians in the United Kingdom do not have that luxury to differentiate themselves from other black groups in the UK since they are all recent arrivals.

Another hypothesis that I have is that there are more opportunities for Nigerians born in the United States than Nigerians born in the United Kingdom. The U.S. is more of a merit based society, even though it is being eroded compared to the United Kingdom when it depends on not only your social class, but also your pedigree.

Are there any other reasons that you can think of?

I would very much love to read what people with interesting opinions have to offer in way of answers to the questions posed here. This could be an interesting discussion if only.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 6:31pm On Apr 21, 2012
kingoflag:

How long have you live in the United States because, I'm sorry to say, your analyis on Americans of Nigerian descent does not make sense, really (and I dont say that to be disrespectful).

I was born and raised in the United States and I am only half Nigerian. And my analysis about Nigerian Americans is very true.

If you disagree with me, then provide some information that counters my arguments.

When was the last time you heard of any Nigerian Americans living in the United States being involved in gang activity? Why does it seem like there is a crime wave amongst Nigerians youths living in Great Britain?

You would think that Nigerians living in America, would be more susceptible to the "gangsta" lifestyle, since African American culture is the dominant culture in the black community.

I am not trying to be rude, I just want to know what is happening in the UK that is causing many Nigerian youth to behave like this.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 21, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I was born and raised in the United States and I am only half Nigerian. And my analysis about Nigerian Americans is very true.

If you disagree with me, then provide some information that counters my arguments.

When was the last time you heard of any Nigerian Americans living in the United States being involved in gang activity? Why does it seem like there is a crime wave amongst Nigerians youths living in Great Britain?

You would think that Nigerians living in America, would be more susceptible to the "gangsta" lifestyle, since African American culture is the dominant culture in the black community.

I am not trying to be rude, I just want to know what is happening in the UK that is causing many Nigerian youth to behave like this.

I think if you want to get the right response, you need to be more subtle in your comparison between Nigerians here in the UK - with Nigerians in America - not to get people like Gbawe overly defensive..

I just talked about gbawe's assertions with some of my friends, and we all had to laugh it off...

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2012
My views are somewhat aligned with IC3-Shymmex’s on this thread.

If you look closely enough, you will find that, in spite of the upward mobility mentioned by @Gbawe, most Nigerian migrants in Britain still occupy the lower rungs of the ladder.
Until we accept this simply fact, we are unlikely to get to a point where we can unpack the layers of contradiction playing out with the current crime wave, and, more importantly, proffer meaningful solutions.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 6:42pm On Apr 21, 2012
shymmex:

We're talking about the MAJORITY here, and those responsible for the crimes - the OP made this thread about.. I don't know where you live in the UK, but I live in an area, with the largest Nigerian community out here - and I have families all over London.. I can say I'm privy to information about young Nigerians out here - because I'm young, and I was raised - and I can relate to most of these kids.

The difference between your assertions, and my post is that, I know about the gang culture (I grew up around it) - and I used to be a social worker.. I'm talking based on experience, and based on what I used to be part of.

Here we go again. You always have to hint at something more 'connected' you presume makes your argument more superior. If not hinting foolishly that you went to Uni in the UK , and others did not when they actually did in the "good old days", you are insinuating your word has greater gravity here because you were a social worker.

Mate, social work does not make you an authority on an issue which is very simple and which most black folks in Britain can discern for themselves. I.e the concept that most black kids growing up in the UK today, regardless of their origin, can be influenced by the gang culture that will predispose them to criminal activity. It is as simple as that.

Cut or dice it however you want. OP insinuates that British folks of Nigerian origin seem to have a propensity for crime more than Nigerian, or Americans of Nigerian origin, in America. first and foremost, it must be pointed out to OP that you cannot assume someone is Nigerian because of their name. That is the point. There are many Britons with African origin who , naturally, are entirely British in thinking and orientation because they were born and bred in the UK.

Frankly, I don't do what the OP does i.e generalise when my knowledge is scant. I won't speak about societal trends in America when I don't know enough to be adjudged an informed party. My consistent argument is that Britons of Nigerian origin cannot exist in a vacuum. They will be susceptible to societal challenges and indeed even positive British culture. For example, Sade Adu sings how she does because of the influence of the UK on her. Good or bad, for Britons of African origin, where you spend your formative years plays a role.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 6:46pm On Apr 21, 2012
shymmex:

I think if you want to get the right response, you need to be more subtle in your comparison between Nigerians here in the UK - with Nigerians in America - not to get people like Gbawe overly defensive..

I just talked about gbawe's assertions with some of my friends, and we all had to laugh it off...

I sometimes forget about that. I do not wish to bruise any egos, and maybe I should not have made a comparison amongst the Nigerians in the UK and Nigerians in America.

It is my belief that the differences lies with the different societies that Nigerians find themselves in. Since the United States is basically a nation of immigrants, people from across the world can do well and thrive. The same cannot be said of the UK and even other Europeans nations, where nationalist can play a major role in society.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Brixtonyute(m): 6:50pm On Apr 21, 2012
When you live in the belly of the beast, called: London.

A city where they have bribed the minorities with welfare.

A city where Brixton is where I call home.

A city where there are no black role models, except gang members.

Then you would understand, how I feel.

Loooooooooool..

Back to the romance section. ------->

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On Apr 21, 2012
um . . . na tikpa-tikpa to live in london? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 6:57pm On Apr 21, 2012
shymmex:

To be honest, you need to grow up and learn to be a lot more mature. You come across as very childish. When you are not telling us ridiculously that Nigerians don't regard you as Nigerian ,even when you speak Yoruba and pidgin fluently, you are asuming you went to Uni in the UK and others did not. You then, from reading what others write, can denote who speaks with a Nigerian accent or not. Foolishly, you insinuate we should hand you winner-of-the-debate award because you were in gang culture, a social worker, blah blah blah when this is an issue that concerns black folks themselves to the extent we are all fairly informed about it.

Now, between posting here, you have miraculously found some time to exchange the jist of this debate with friends. Grow up kid and learn to face the discussion alone with making assumptions or insinuating something you claim to be predisposes you to be a superior voice on issues that affect many black families directly.

What is your point anyway? Mine is simply that folks who are born in a nation and grow up in it will undoubtedly be affected by overarching societal issues. It is no different for black folks born and bred in the UK even if they are of Nigerian, Ghanaian, Togolese, Malian origin.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by niggadee(m): 7:00pm On Apr 21, 2012
tpia@:
^black british are majorly of carribean descent while nigerian british are of nigerian descent. That's false.

this isnt a govt paper, so lets not split hairs.

a large proportion of AAs are also of carribean descent, just like the black british.

however, i agree with you about british of nigerian descent being hugely influenced by other places.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2012
[quote author=Gbawe]
Cut or dice it however you want. OP insinuates that British folks of Nigerian origin seem to have a propensity for crime more than Nigerian, or Americans of Nigerian origin, in America. first and foremost, it must be pointed out to OP that you cannot assume someone is Nigerian because of their name. That is the point.

I only replied to the bolded part of your post - because I was raised here.. I can't really speak for Nigerians in America, because their struggle is different from mine. All I can I say is that Nigerians over there have it better - probably because of Affirmative Action reserved for blacks, regardless of their country of origin...

Are they not Nigerians?? And if you think they're not - what do they fill in application forms?

There are many Britons with African origin who , naturally, are entirely British in thinking and orientation because they were born and bred in the UK.

Who do you blame for that?? Is it not the parents who failed to instill the Nigerian culture in their kids? It's a well known fact that, there is nothing like black british (it's just a term on paper).. If you're black out here - you're still classified as African, or Caribbean - regardless of where you, or your parents were born..

Frankly, I don't do what the OP does i.e generalise when my knowledge is scant. I won't speak about societal trends in America when I don't know enough to be adjudged an informed party. My consistent argument is that Britons of Nigerian origin cannot exist in a vacuum. They will be susceptible to societal challenges and indeed even positive British culture. For example, Sade Adu sings how she does because of the influence of the UK on her. Good or bad, for Britons of African origin, where you spend your formative years plays a role.

Correction, Sade Adu makes soul music - which is an African American genre of music.. We may agree to disagree - but the truth about UK is that, there is no "American Dream" out here - and the opportunities are limited..

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 7:09pm On Apr 21, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I sometimes forget about that. I do not wish to bruise any egos, and maybe I should not have made a comparison amongst the Nigerians in the UK and Nigerians in America.

It is my belief that the differences lies with the different societies that Nigerians find themselves in. Since the United States is basically a nation of immigrants, people from across the world can do well and thrive. The same cannot be said of the UK and even other Europeans nations, where nationalist can play a major role in society.

This is generalisation that bears no semblance to what obtains on the ground.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 21, 2012
Gbawe:

To be honest, you need to grow up and learn to be a lot more mature. You come across as very childish. When you are not telling us ridiculously that Nigerians don't regard you as Nigerian ,even when you speak Yoruba and pidgin fluently, you are asuming you went to Uni in the UK and others did not. You then, from reading what others write, can denote who speaks with a Nigerian accent or not. Foolishly, you insinuate we should hand you winner-of-the-debate award because you were in gang culture, a social worker, blah blah blah when this is an issue that concerns black folks themselves to the extent we are all fairly informed about it.

Now, between posting here, you have miraculously found some time to exchange the jist of this debate with friends. Grow up kid and learn to face the discussion alone with making assumptions or insinuating something you claim to be predisposes you to be a superior voice on issues that affect many black families directly.

What is your point anyway? Mine is simply that folks who are born in a nation and grow up in it will undoubtedly be affected by overarching societal issues. It is no different for black folks born and bred in the UK even if they are of Nigerian, Ghanaian, Togolese, Malian origin.

I don't know why you keep insinuating, that I feel superior. I saw a thread I can relate to, and I posted what I think the problem.. The OP was talking about 'Nigerians of Bristish Descent' - and I posted what I feel the problem is. And it's a black thing in the UK, as you pointed out - but we're not talking about other nationalities here.

You keep mentioning Nigerians who have imbibed the British thought process into their way of life, and don't see themselves as Nigerians - but who's to blame for that? Is that not the parents' fault?? Are their parents not Nigerians - or are you going to tell me that most of them have lost their Nigerian-ness, just by living in the UK for a period of time??

The problem is more than just 'overarching societal issues' - it's deeper than something you can just view from the surface. Parents don't help as well... If most of them raised their kids to be Nigerians - I doubt the problem would be as problematic as it is right now...

There are hundreds of Nigerian youths born here serving life sentences in British prisons - and hundreds have been victims of gang violence - we all need to look for a way to break this vicious cycle.. I'm even more worried about the next generations of Nigerians out here, because of the baby mums' culture - that this generation has imbibed into their lifestyle.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:29pm On Apr 21, 2012
A bit of perspective...
(Anglo-)Nigerian youths have absolutely nothing on their (Anglo-)Somali counterparts grin

A THIRD of criminals entering Britain’s top youth jail last year were foreign, it was revealed yesterday.
More than 2,000 crooks aged ten to 18 passed through Feltham Young Offenders Institute in West London.

A total of 632 were not born in the UK. Somalia was the birthplace of one in ten of the foreigners — the highest of any nationality.

It was followed by Romania, Jamaica, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Algeria, Lithuania, Congo, Ireland and Portugal.

Think-tank MigrationWatch last night said the figures, from January 2010 to April 2011, were “shocking”.

Its chairman Sir Andrew Green said: “Clearly the efforts made to integrate these people from immigrant communities have failed.”

The Sun obtained the figures through a Freedom of Information request.

They appear to confirm studies over the last ten years showing a steady rise in crimes committed by young Somali men.

But charity Somali Action on Youth Crime said the figures were “biased”.

Its director Mustafa Ibrahim said: “Government forms don’t distinguish between Somalis and people from other parts of Africa, so Somalis get blamed for crimes by other people.”

But a Prison Service spokesman insisted other African prisoners are not classed as Somalis. He said: “Prisoners are asked to state their nationality and place of birth.”

Source

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 7:39pm On Apr 21, 2012
Gbawe:

This is generalisation that bears no semblance to what obtains on the ground.

The fact that the United State has more opportunities for young Nigerians, hence we do not have a gang problem, or there is no problem amongst Nigerians in the UK?
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 7:49pm On Apr 21, 2012
shymmex: I only replied to the bolded part of your post - because I was raised here.. I can't really speak for Nigerians in America, because their struggle is different from mine. All I can I say is that Nigerians over there have it better - probably because of Affirmative Action reserved for blacks, regardless of their country of origin...

Are they not Nigerians?? And if you think they're not - what do they fill in application forms?

This is much better from you. Why did you not, from the start, tell the OP not to do what you are not willing to do? I.e speaking about UK societal issues he shows he clearly does not understand ?

Who do you blame for that?? [b]Is it not the parents who failed to instill the Nigerian culture in their kids? [/b]It's a well known fact that, there is nothing like black british (it's just a term on paper).. If you black out here - you're still classified as African, or Caribbean - regardless of where you, or your parents were born..

You are drifting here and inadvertently proving my point. Now you essentially agree that black Britons born and bred in the UK act "British". Your solution is for their Parents to "instill" Nigerian culture in them. Well, my guy, every adult knows that society , especially in the formative years, is a major influence on outlook. You cannot raise kids in the worst "sink" Estates in the UK and simplistically expect the "instilled Nigerian culture" to defeat everything these kids interact with daily. Your argument here is not tenable at all.

Most Nigerian parents still manage to raise outstanding kids but all black kids growing up in crime-ridden areas of the UK face the same challenges that even "instilled culture" may not always succeed in defeating . There is no science to it but we can all admit that it is reasonable to assume those who grow up in a Nation will be influenced by the prevalent societal conditions.

Correction, Sade Adu makes soul music - which is an African American genre of music.

My guy, you are trying too hard. Look at some of the genres Sade's music is listed in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sade_Adu

Genres Smooth jazz, soul, jazz, R&B, quiet storm, soft rock, adult contemporary

The point is that Sade's music is influenced by how she was raised in the UK. Go and get a picture of her band to get my drift. You will see British folks, of different colours, 'adapting' music to their own flavour. Same with soul 11 soul, madness, UB40 and other eclectic British bands

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5A81d1gLqEHlS8IZG33OytjCCfwmdAJu5Wvz6gkazP17uhlLr-g[/img]

We may agree to disagree - but the truth about UK is that, there is no "American Dream" out here - and the opportunities are limited..

America and the UK are two different Countries. First learn to understand that and you will see issues more clearly to note that the UK is not, comparatively, failing black folks . America stands seperately because of its history and past challenges. Go and check average salaries between the two nations, employment figures, homeownership and other financial indices and you may be mildly surprised to note that the average Briton is not worse off. Certain things dilute the big picture (population, size etc)but most black folks in the UK don't have it significantly worse than their counterparts in the USA where discrimination exist also. In fact there are some who will argue that America has let down its black population, who have been in the Country for many generations, more than the UK that is younger at forging its own multicultural Nation.

In fact, beyond the USA where else do you see black folks enjoying "The American dream" significantly better than in the UK? The UK does not have to equal America for us to note that it is still , ahead of far many others, one of the Countries with the best opportunities for skilled and hardworking black folks.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 21, 2012
Gbawe:
America and the UK are two different Countries. First learn to understand that and you will see issues more clearly to note that the UK is not, comparatively, failing black folks . America stands seperately because of its history and past challenges. Go and check average salaries between the two nations, employment figures, homeownership and other financial indices and you may be mildly surprised to note that the average Briton is not worse off. Certain things dilute the big picture (population, size etc)but most black folks in the UK don't have it significantly worse than their counterparts in th
e USA where discrimination exist also.

In fact, beyond the USA where else do you see black folks enjoying "The American dream" significantly better than in the UK? The UK does not have to equal America for us to note that it is still , ahead of far many others, one of the Countries with the best opportunities for skilled and hardworking black folks.

While I agree with much of what you wrote up there, I also see how easy it is to overstate how far we have come in the UK.
If I understand Shymmex correctly, this is precisely the point he is trying to convey.

If you take the issue of social mobility, for instance, it is not uncommon to find subsequent generations of African migrants struggling to reach the heights their parents attained. Why is this so?
There is surely something unique about the obstacles which cast some of our youth adrift in Britain, in comparison to 2nd/3rd generation Indians for instance.

For this reason, while I understand your point about the vagaries of life in Britain and the need to situate any discussion on migrant-youth delinquency in the broadest context, I feel it falls short in addressing @OP's original questions.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by tpia5: 8:21pm On Apr 21, 2012
it is not uncommon to find subsequent generations of African migrants struggling to reach the heights their parents attained. Why is this so?

good observation.

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by BlackBaron: 1:27am On Apr 22, 2012
Gbawe:

Simply not true. Ridiculous actually. This is not the 80ties. Nigerians who improve themselves, to the best extent, and possess sought-after skills, have virtually the same chances of excelling as anyone else in the UK today.

Tell OP the truth and don't indulge his mindset that America is Paradise for Nigerians while the UK is 'barren land'. There is no sector in the UK (health, IT, engineering, Accounting, Property development, teaching et al) that competitive and driven Nigerians, who have made the best of themselves, don't excel in.

The World, in general, is becoming tougher with opportunities becoming more limited. It is not enough to just leave Nigeria, heading for the UK, thinking your success is assured. of course if you are as good as others, or better, you will find that the UK is still one of the best Nations in the entire world as far as the concept of rewarding talent is concerned.

You are absolutely right Sir. There seems to be a pervasive culture for a lot of black folks pinning the lack of job opportunities to the melanin in their skin. Worst is when it comes from those born in Britain. The UK government gives equal opportunities to all her citizens at all levels with incentives to match. The problem is their attitudes to education and a failure to adapt to competition. International students are made to cough up triple, quadruple or more to have the same level of education as their British counterpart. Yet, the latter under-utilises this opportunities.
I also think there's a dearth of good role models for inner city youths other than the obligatory gang members, drug dealers etc with their flashy lifestyles. Also a tendency to make money like their favourite celebrities, rappers et al without putting in a reciprocal amount of hard honest work is another problem.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Ilekokonit: 1:33am On Apr 22, 2012
The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent

Its not just Nigerian kids in Britain. If you look at the Aug 2011 London riots you will see that the feral kids cut across all races.
The recurring factor when the cases come to court is that the boys caught up in looting came from single parent families being raised by their mums.
Also realise that Britain is the single parent capital of Europe and while it may seem attractive for the mother to chase the father out of the family home just because she wants to be independent and/or claim on top of her salary the generous british single mum benefits and working family tax credits for single mums, it is the children that eventually suffer because no matter how hard she tries, a single mum can not effectively handle a boy child.

Now with the father having been kicked out of the house by the sometimes greedy single mum, the boy child automaticallly sees himself as the man of the house with the mum pandering to his every demand and excessive waywardness all in a bid to be in his good books. Remember she has lost the affection of the boys father through her own cantankerous behaviour and greed, so she is battling hard not to lose her wayward sons affection as well and the sly boy seeing that he has his incapable single mum wrapped round his fingers just carries on as he wishes in the house - afterall, his natural disciplinarian (his father) has been frustrated out of his marriage by the stubborn wife so the boy does as he wishes and this is borne out by the teenage Looters during the Aug London 2011 riots.

Or look at the case of the then 17 year old Nigerian girl sentenced recently for going to Argos during her school break to buy Knives for distribution to her gang members for the killing of a 14 year old boy who disrespected them the previous day at Victoria train station. Shockingly as the 14 year old boy lay dying from the stab wounds, the 17 year old Naija girl kicked him with her boots. In this case as well, the girl and her sister came from a broken Naija marriage.

A corollary can be drawn with a similar case in America where the single mum refused her wayward 14 year old son the permission to go mingle with his gang members. The boy getting angry (since he sees himself as the man of the house in his dads absence) goes to get a gun and kills his mum as she lay sleeping on the couch. This was in the news a few months ago.

When the mother (including a LARGE proportion of Nigerian mothers in the UK) chases out the father from the house due to stubbornness and/or greed for single parent benefits, if care is not taken and instead of focussing on her kids upbringing she instead sees her new found marital freedom as a time to gallivant after new men (often multiple men as none of them stays with her for long) only God can help straighten out her kids especially the male children.

Check out the following website http://www.londonstreetgangs.com/ and you will see the extent of the gang culture among Britains youth of which an uncomfortable number are black youths and Nigerian kids.

But will Naija women in the UK listen ? I bet not. Afterall, they know more than their men since they are in the UK and if their man does not submit to them (sic) then they can kick him out and claim funds from the Government as single mum benefits, working tax credits and still have the effontery to claim 25% or more from their Ex-husbands salary as child support when they were the ones that orchestrated his moving out.

Naija women in the UK are (because of delayed womens liberation and/or greed) alarmingly falling for a deliberate but sly plan to frustrate black families and hence steer black boys towards criminality due to broken homes.

I WONDER IF THE CHILDREN RAISED BY THESE SINGLE MOTHERS WILL HAVE ANY PRAYERS FOR THESE MUMS IN THE FUTURE ONCE THEY ARE OF AGE AND CAN NO LONGER BE BRAIN WASHED BY THEIR MUMS ABOUT HOW MUM & DADS RELATIONSHIP BROKE UP.

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by BlackBaron: 1:43am On Apr 22, 2012
Ilekokonit:

When the mother (including a LARGE proportion of Nigerian mothers in the UK) chases out the father from the house due to stubbornness and/or greed for single parent benefits, if care is not taken and instead of focussing on her kids upbringing she instead sees her new found marital freedom as a time to gallivant after new men (often multiple men as none of them stays with her for long) only God can help straighten out her kids especially the male children.

I think it is unfair to blame single mothers alone, how about the numerous males who sow the seeds but with no intention to be around a family setting or play the fatherly role and hence defer responsibility for their child's upbringing to the society. A lot of single mums out there are in this category.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Ilekokonit: 2:41am On Apr 22, 2012
shymmex
but the truth about UK is that, there is no "American Dream" out here - and the opportunities are limited..

High ranking members of the British establishment have publicly admitted that Britain is 'institutionally racist'.

Although this is no excuse for kids behaving badly, but Britain (by the admission of someone who is part of the British establishment) is an Institutionally racist country.

Sir David Calvert-Smith QC a former Director of Public Prosecutions of England and Wales from 1998 to 2003 stated that Britain is 'institutionally racist' in the following artice in 2002 :-

Britain's most prominent criminal prosecutor has described society as institutionally racist, saying prejudice was so widespread it can be found just by watching a couple of hours of television or reading a newspaper.

Director of public prosecutions Sir David Calvert-Smith said the majority of British people were racist and it was his "firm belief" that society was institutionally racist as defined by Sir William Macpherson in his inquiry into the murder of black teenager Stephen Lawrence.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1398122/Britain-is-institutionally-racist.html

Also Lord Parekh a member of the British House of Lords stated that Racism is institutional in the upper tiers of British society
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/22/racism-institutional-british-society-report-parekh

If (as shymmex also mentioned earlier) there was Affirmative action in the UK just like there is in the States then the lot of black families in the UK will be much better than it currently is and by extrapolation it will impact on our kids as more of us will be able to afford private education for our kids without much financial stress.
Meaning that less of our kids will even be mingling with gangster youth.

But the minute you bring up the need to agitate for an American style Affirmative action for blacks in the UK, it is black people themselves who will shout you down saying that they prefer to get things on merit forgetting that in an institutionally racist country like Britain, you need all the legislative power you can get to break the glass ceiling syndrome and the underemployment / nonemployment that MOST black people in the UK are SILENTLT grappling with.

It is even worse with this brutal recession as the recruiters (of which majority are white) are now closing ranks and stylishly excluding ethnic minorities from professional job opportunities (at least in my own profession and in a lot of old school traditional careers).

The African Americans on the other hand were united in fighting for and getting Civil Rights and Affirmative Action hence American Naijas get opportunities that we in the UK can only dream of.

When we have a situation where Racism is institutional in the upper tiers of British society according to (Lord Parekh) a member of the House of Lords and Britain being 'institutionally racist' according to Sir David Calvert-Smith QC a former Director of Public Prosecutions of England and Wales, is it any wonder then that the GOOD jobs in the upper tiers of British Society keep eluding most Blacks in the UK ?

Yes we may have the token few Blacks in the UK who are achieving 50% of their full potential (if that) BUT majority of black professionals in the UK are suffering and smiling career wise and if you have a mind of your own as a black man in the UK, you are in even greater trouble career wise as you are most times tagged as argumentative just because you refuse to be a foot mat or lick a.ss

Sadly Black people in the UK are not united enough to recognise that fighting for Affirmative Action is in their own and their childrens LONG TERM benefits afterall we live in a Britain that is 'institutionally racist' so we need some Affirmative Action legislation on our side in the UK if we are to achieve career fulfillment and rewards the likes that hard working Naijas take for granted in the States.

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by tpia5: 4:04am On Apr 22, 2012
^^your other analysis is a bit harsh because you fail to make allowance for the fact that many men are also terribly irresponsible.

not saying all single mothers are angels but sometimes they are single because they hooked up with an irresponsible man.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by tpia5: 4:06am On Apr 22, 2012
it is the children that eventually suffer because no matter how hard she tries, a single mum can not effectively handle a boy child.

this may or may not be true.

it depends.

the boy child automaticallly sees himself as the man of the house with the mum pandering to his every demand and excessive waywardness all in a bid to be in his good books.

interesting pov.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Gbawe: 4:19am On Apr 22, 2012
eGuerrilla:

While I agree with much of what you wrote up there, I also see how easy it is to overstate how far we have come in the UK.
If I understand Shymmex correctly, this is precisely the point he is trying to convey.

If you take the issue of social mobility, for instance, it is not uncommon to find subsequent generations of African migrants struggling to reach the heights their parents attained. Why is this so?
There is surely something unique about the obstacles which cast some of our youth adrift in Britain, in comparison to 2nd/3rd generation Indians for instance.

For this reason, while I understand your point about the vagaries of life in Britain and the need to situate any discussion on migrant-youth delinquency in the broadest context, I feel it falls short in addressing @OP's original questions.

My brother, OP does not really have a legitimate question and I am surprised you don't see this. The sum total of what he is saying is that black people affiliated with Nigeria join gangs en-masse because the UK provides them with less opportunities than is the case with America. This is very wrong, and an insult against the UK. For one thing OP's views are uninformed and unrealistically simplistic. He makes partisan and highly subjective comparisons that arrogates problems unto the UK the nation does not have while speaking of America in ways that indicates he is being economical with the truth.

Unlike OP, I cannot speak conclusively about a Nation I don't know well(the USA) but I would think the more Nigerians settle in the USA and raise their kids there, the more we will see some kids of Nigerian origin becoming involved in gang and criminal activities in US States - if that is not happening already perhaps with OP oblivious to it because he is smitten by America to the point nationalistic fervour sees him downplaying the USA's problems. OP fails to move beyond emotion to note how real statistics show that, for the folks in the most important population strata, i.e average folks, the UK is not second class to the USA as far as meeting the aspirations of its people. Ahead of most nations in Europe, and indeed the world, A driven Nigerian able to work can still arrive in the UK today and gain the relevant training to become a well-paid midwife, Nurse, medical support staff, IT specialist, Accountant et al in a reasonable time frame. In the picture of Paradise OP paints about America, where , even if quick to disparage the UK, do we accomodate what is wrttten below about the recent predicament of black folks that shows how, if we really get into it, average [/b]black folks are probably better off in the UK than in the USA?

http://www.kooriweb.org/foley/news/2006/september/age4sep06.html

[b]America has failed its blacks

Of America's 40 million black population, a quarter live in poverty compared with about 20 per cent at the end of the Clinton Administration. That's a million more African Americans who have lost the battle to become "stakeholders" in Bush's stakeholder society, which he reckons he's creating by relentlessly cutting taxes, especially for the wealthy.

Americans, it seems, were surprised by the suffering they witnessed in New Orleans They had no idea that there were areas of America where people lived in conditions that were as bad if not worse than in many Third World countries. And yet virtually every American city has its equivalent of the Lower Ninth Ward in New Orleans - black and poor and crime ridden, in which social structures, especially the family, have virtually disintegrated. In the inner-city ghettos of America's cities, most births are outside marriage, most families are single-parent and men between 18 and 25 are about as likely to end up in jail as they are to get a job.

Americans were so shocked and surprised by what they saw in New Orleans because, despite the historic changes wrought by the civil rights movement in the 1960s that ended state-sanctioned segregation and discrimination, America remains a segregated society.

According to Census Bureau figures, only about 5 per cent of Americans live in "mixed" neighbourhoods. In the main, whites and blacks self-segregate. What has happened to black America mirrors what has happened in America generally in the past few decades: there has been growing wealth and growing poverty. The great achievement since the 1960s has been the rise of a black middle class. The great failure has been growing poverty and hopelessness in those inner-city ghettos.

But the growing black middle class has chosen to live in predominantly black middle-class neighbourhoods and send their children to black middle-class schools. The history of racial discrimination has not yet been lived down; blacks, even middle-class blacks, prefer to "live with their own" than risk being subjected to racism.

What this means is that white and black Americans have little real contact with each other and, just as important, the black middle class is about as removed from the hopelessness and social disintegration of inner-city blacks as is white America.

Nothing changed after the drowning of New Orleans. And nothing is likely to change. It seems that most Americans agree with Ronald Reagan who, referring to the war on poverty launched by Lyndon Johnson in the '60s, said there has been a war on poverty and that poverty has won.

Making a direct correlation between gang membership and lack of opportunities for any black person paints an incomplete picture and I would expect black folks in the UK to set OP right in this regard. In Nigeria the correlation can be made, without fear of contradiction, to crime and lack of opportunities for Nigerians.

In the UK, the gang thing is almost cultural 'sucking in' many young folks who feel obligated to join as early as age 10!!! There are social issues excercerbating the problem like broken homes and a Street/bling culture gone retrograde with how gang leaders and "top Shotters" are role models to impressionable young black kids who have no interest in becoming like their Architect Uncle or local black MP.

The young black kid growing up on a tough estate, with father absent, may have no choice but to join a gang to gain the protection a father may have supplied. These are issues that have been creeping up on the UK for a while. Previous Governments have pandered to the problem instead of confronting it uncompromisingly. that is what got the UK to where it is today. I remember a phase when young offenders were sent on expensive holidays and assigned their own career mentors to 'guide' their progress. We all know many young girls had no fear of getting pregnant because they know the UK welfare system will be obliging.

All these interlinked issues, too many to broach here, have combined over the years to make gang membership , and subsequent under-achievement, a legitimate choice for some within a sub-culture black folks are especially suceptible to. I cannot believe, statistically and realistically, that the UK provides less opportunities for black folks than America because I don't think America spreads wealth as evenly or as responsibly as the UK does as per core existential ideology.

It still holds true that if you follow the right path and become a valued member of society, then there is a place for you. England is still one of the wealthiest and most welfarist Nations in the world. Especially reknowned for looking after its people - black or white. What lack of opportunities are we talking about when , as a real example, the hospitals I have had my kids in , to include one in leafy Surrey, paraded an impressionable number of black health professionals of Nigerian/African origin?

The summation of what I am pointing out answers your question i.e
it is not uncommon to find subsequent generations of African migrants struggling to reach the heights their parents attained. Why is this so?
My brother, it is so because young black folks , and indeed even Asians, born and bred in the UK are increasingly, as the world changes, gaining a local and notably different orientation and outlook to their parents who totally understood the concept of hardwork, uprightness and aspiring to professional excellence. I don't think the system has become more unfair. I think issues have become more about some black kids born here, falling into the distractive sub-culture permeating tough UK Cities, that then predisposes them to achieve less than the generation before them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

2019: Aggrieved APC Aspirants Activate Plan B / EBOLA: Customs Intercepts, Destroys Truckload Of Monkey Meat In Katsina / IPOB Members' Corpses Found In A Bush In Abia - SunNewsOnline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.