Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,027 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:51 PM

Names You Can Never Give Your Child? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Names You Can Never Give Your Child? (29898 Views)

7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria / Share Beautiful Names You Will Gives To Your Kids When They Are Born! / What Are The Names You Cannot Give To Your Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by blank(f): 2:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
sub_zero: Hyginus

Azuna
Sinichi/Binichi
Chinwo
Oroma
Nyesom. ETC

Why name a kid,"orange" as in oroma?

The other names are short forms of the full name.
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 07, 2012
d.i.c.kson
mumuni
odemena
gbajabiamila(a member of house of reps has dat name)
maximus
obumneke
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 07, 2012
d.i.c.kson
mumuni
odemena
gbajabiamila(a member of house of reps has dat name)
maximus
obumneke
petrolina
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Afam4eva(m): 2:10pm On Jun 07, 2012
achi4u: ejizina aha obodo mmadu akpa uka ochigrin.

Ejirigom nwayo na agu edemede gi na atumatu gi(contributions)gbasara ndi Abakaliki.
ugbu a;
nkedu ihe ndi Abakaliki mere gi?

nkedu ihe mere iji akpu ndi Abakaliki n'onu oge obula?

n'ikpeazu,i bianugo Abakaliki?

*sorry for the insult but YOU must desist from bashing any of your fellow igbo tribe.
I've never bashed ndi Abakaliki. Why should i when we are related.
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by NovusHomo(m): 2:10pm On Jun 07, 2012
1. "OGHOGHO", especially if you live in the USA. The little girl that carries this name will be called "HO" grin grin grin all through her school days and maybe beyond.
2. "DEJEUNER", as given by some ghetto mothers who know next to nothing. The name is French for "BREAKFAST". A girl that answers this name will always be propositioned by her male peers who may know the meaning. "Dejeuner, can I have you for breakfast" grin grin
3. "SALAMI", a name for a variety of sausage. grin grin
4. "OWOLABI", who ever gave birth to money?
5. "TOKUNBO", arrogant, stupid, and outdated. undecided
6. "AJIBABI", who wants to wake up to misfortune? But, of course that is not the meaning of the name. Its just that it could be interpreted so. That is the result of the richness of the Yoruba language.

2 Likes

Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by sadyeek(m): 2:10pm On Jun 07, 2012
DaraAlina: Growing up here in the states... I suggest your child name shouldn't embrace any of these things :

Colors ( Blue, Ivy, Magenta) I don't care if Beyonce and Jay-Z did it

Food (Kobe, Muffin, Apple) So what the basketball billionaire and Gwenth Paltrow have the nerve ?

Liquor ( Alize, Chardonnay ) The child's name shouldn't sound like a stripper's name ...

Cars ( Mercedes, Lexus)... It gives people a sense that you didn't have no social awarness

Animals ( Puma, Jaguar, Tiger, Deer) ... That's abuse okay !!!

Numbers ( Seven, Six ) I actually came across names like this too.. you're not Erykah Badu

A Actual Name of a City ( Brooklyn, Paris, Asia, China, America ).. Sad but funny I have a cousin name Nigeria.. I might let that slide ... wink wink wink

Clothing Brands ( Christian Dior, Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuittion) Should I even elaborate ? !!!

Emotional Feelings ( Innocent, Happy, Delightful, Delicious) I would personally slap the parent silly !!!

Adjective, Verb or Adverb that can be used for mockery ( Smart, Knowledge or Serenity etc...) What happens if the child does the opposite

MOST OF ALL DON'T NAME YOUR CHILD -------> JESUS !!!!... It's too much to live up too... I love Jesus but there is only one and let him be it !!! Yes Indeed !!!

[size=16pt]what about seasons
I like summer and autum.. Lovely

Months to are nice
April(only this one)

Fruits
[/size]
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by NonsoChris(m): 2:19pm On Jun 07, 2012
[quote author=dani1luv][size=13pt][color=#000099]offering when my sister was in secondary school then,she was so desperate of an english name because our parents didn't give her any, all her names were igbo names. So she decided to translate one of her igbo names to english to have an english name. One of her name is Onyinye,she translated it to Offering,and was answering that. With time no be person tell her to retrace from her path.

2 Likes

Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 07, 2012
DaraAlina: Growing up here in the states... I suggest your child name shouldn't embrace any of these things :

Food (Kobe, Muffin, Apple) So what the basketball billionaire and Gwenth Paltrow have the nerve ?

Liquor ( Alize, Chardonnay ) The child's name shouldn't sound like a stripper's name ...

Cars ( Mercedes, Lexus)... It gives people a sense that you didn't have no social awarness

Numbers ( Seven, Six ) I actually came across names like this too.. you're not Erykah Badu

A Actual Name of a City ( Brooklyn, Paris, Asia, China, America ).. Sad but funny I have a cousin name Nigeria.. I might let that slide ... wink wink wink

Clothing Brands ( Christian Dior, Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuittion) Should I even elaborate ? !!!

Emotional Feelings ( Innocent, Happy, Delightful, Delicious) I would personally slap the parent silly !!!

Adjective, Verb or Adverb that can be used for mockery ( Smart, Knowledge or Serenity etc...) What happens if the child does the opposite

MOST OF ALL DON'T NAME YOUR CHILD -------> JESUS !!!!... It's too much to live up too... I love Jesus but there is only one and let him be it !!! Yes Indeed !!!
i pray that "MICOCO" tickles your fancy when your 1st male child arrives, AMEN!! grin

i pray that "MICOCO" tickles your fancy when your 1st male child arrives, AMEN!!
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 07, 2012
One reason I dislike English names is because even the bearers can't pronounce the words properly. Take the name Patience, for example, which should be pronounced 'Patience but is pronounced Pa'tience by the bearer no less. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. How can someone not pronounce their own name properly? Best we stick to what we know and are conversant with, IMPO.
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by benodese(m): 2:29pm On Jun 07, 2012
Patience,Endurance,Mabel,Charity,Esther,Belinda,Ali,Sule,Blessing....
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 07, 2012
9-zeros:
ekwutos
is only a short form 4 ekwutosinachukwu meanin never speak ill of ur God. Is really old bt stl a gud 1

1 Like

Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by mikron(m): 2:29pm On Jun 07, 2012
EKWUTOSI
PERPETUAL
MODESTUS
ANGELINA
CLETUS
PAULINUS
ASUMPTA
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Afam4eva(m): 2:32pm On Jun 07, 2012
mikron: EKWUTOSI
PERPETUAL
MODESTUS
ANGELINA
CLETUS
PAULINUS
ASUMPTA
names like these are usually answered by Igbo catholics. Pls our catholic brothers should stop disgracing us with names like Longinus.

1 Like

Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 07, 2012
d.i.c.kson
mumuni
odemena
gbajabiamila(a member of house of reps bears dat name)
maximus
obumneke
petrolina
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by webmastern(m): 2:37pm On Jun 07, 2012
ogborogenerukokoumukorodafe
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by bisiaet: 2:37pm On Jun 07, 2012
1.Iina
3.alu
5.Linus
8.Tijani
9.ntukpomi
10.Esubami
11.Iwemide(My Paper has come) I heard such name first in uk
12.Utano
13.Ploycarp or Nyloncap
14.Millicent or Florescent or Adjacent
15.Esupofo
16.Donatus
17.Nkobochi
18.Njoku
19.Isaiah
20.Madonna(Simply meand goddess of confusion)

Pls no one should take my list personal though all these are names but cant give my child any of it some sound so tougue twisted, too English, too weird,too ancient somehow
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by ayusbobs(m): 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2012
kwaghe: Mohammed
if u know ao precious and d blessing of d name;Mohammed..........i reserve d rest
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 07, 2012
Moshood
Mmaduka
Clement (my dad's name)
Tawa
Popoola
Ponle
Dolapo
Sikira
Afamefula
Amala/Amara
Akpan
Ajayi
Fidelis
Linus
Obumneme
Ginika
Akere
Adaku
Ojiugo
Calistus
Umobong
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Sanguine77(m): 2:45pm On Jun 07, 2012
Ekeatte
Olusegun
Dick
Chelsea
Hope
Ndidi
Baaku
patience
Sandra.

I rather name my child Goliath or Nebuchadnezzar than name him GoodLuck
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by DaraAlina(f): 2:45pm On Jun 07, 2012
sadyeek:

[size=16pt]what about seasons
I like summer and autum.. Lovely

Months to are nice
April(only this one)

Fruits
[/size]

As long if it's not spell GHETTO.. two seasons can be done Summer and Autumn... Months (June , April , May) only,

No Fruits .. Kiwi, Bananna, Mango, Grape, Apple, Orange ( undecided What you smoking ? !)

I have other types of names..

Nothing devilish : Political Tyrants, warlords, negative and infamous political people or people in general..

These other names shouldn't be used : Cain, Lucifer, Jezebel, Judas, Mary, Benedict, Bertha, Dickerson, Sambo, Adolf, Princess, Cohen, Dick,
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Elose11(m): 2:49pm On Jun 07, 2012
Scholastica (Scholar),
Eucharia (EUK),
Geraldine,
Livinus,
MOnday - Sunday,
Junior,
Bonboy,
Baby
Bush
Stone
Okosun
Fela
Charlie
ETC
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by doublecross(m): 2:50pm On Jun 07, 2012
polycarp
polinus
linus
cyracus
festus
romanus
levinus
pius
enoch
isaac
zebudiah
ignetus
ceracus
monday
tuesday
wednesday
thursday
friday
saturday
sunday
very soon, you will hear new year, workers day, childrens day, christmas day, holiday, birthday, mothers day etc.
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by doublecross(m): 2:54pm On Jun 07, 2012
DaraAlina:

As long if it's not spell GHETTO.. two seasons can be done Summer and Autumn... Months (June , April , May) only,

No Fruits .. Kiwi, Bananna, Mango, Grape, Apple, Orange ( undecided What you smoking ? !)

Nothing devilish : Political Tyrants, warlords, negative and infamous political people or people in general..

These other names shouldn't be used : Cain, Lucifer, Jezebel, Judas, Mary, Benedict, Bertha, Dickerson, Sambo, Adolf, Princess, Cohen, Dick,
january nko?
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by doublecross(m): 2:55pm On Jun 07, 2012
berem: d.i.c.kson
mumuni
odemena
gbajabiamila(a member of house of reps bears dat name)
maximus
obumneke
petrolina
hahahahahahaha grin and crude oilina
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 07, 2012
Agboola
Bamgbose
Moshood
Ajayi
Chukwumerije
Animashaun
Mosunmola
Innocent
Ribadu
Okoro
Okafor
Akpan
Akpos
Ayangbe
Dickson
Dagbo
Christian
Omavowan
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by doublecross(m): 2:57pm On Jun 07, 2012
NovusHomo: 1. "OGHOGHO", especially if you live in the USA. The little girl that carries this name will be called "HO" grin grin grin all through her school days and maybe beyond.
2. "DEJEUNER", as given by some ghetto mothers who know next to nothing. The name is French for "BREAKFAST". A girl that answers this name will always be propositioned by her male peers who may know the meaning. "Dejeuner, can I have you for breakfast" grin grin
3. "SALAMI", a name for a variety of sausage. grin grin
4. "OWOLABI", who ever gave birth to money?
5. "TOKUNBO", arrogant, stupid, and outdated. undecided
6. "AJIBABI", who wants to wake up to misfortune? But, of course that is not the meaning of the name. Its just that it could be interpreted so. That is the result of the richness of the Yoruba language.
grin
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by flexdee(m): 2:57pm On Jun 07, 2012
I can't stop grin grin.ikemefuna, ajani, ubong.
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by humblebee: 3:02pm On Jun 07, 2012
ebele

dame

cosmos

diick

maraji

jezebel

ibru

opebe

suwe

Ben Dover

any name with gay as a prefix like gay-man, gay-shuaibu etc
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by sadyeek(m): 3:05pm On Jun 07, 2012
DaraAlina:

[size=16pt]that fruit part was a mistake, I had apple in mind but nah!!

Mary is a wonderful name,
maryam(islamic) love it
[/size]
Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by DaraAlina(f): 3:10pm On Jun 07, 2012
afam4eva: I've said it that my children will never bear an English name. Many people just bear names without knowing what they mean.

I agree so much !!!

My first and middle name is Dara Alina... I am not Nigerian nor technically African.. ( Black, Trinidadian and Venezuelan) .. My mother didn't want me to have a ghetto akata name nor a stoosh european name.. She decided what I should embodied ( Beautiful Gift) ... She translated my name in Swahilli it means " the beautiful one" and Alina means Gift... So she remixed it.. But I love the Yoruba meaning

Oluwadarasimi = God is good !!!!

I hate when people call me Dora.. I am not a Mexican cartoon

My Mom did well afterall !!!

2 Likes

Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by Feraz(m): 3:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
mikron: EKWUTOSI
PERPETUAL
MODESTUS
ANGELINA
CLETUS
PAULINUS
ASUMPTA
in addition....bonaventure.....and others

1 Like

Re: Names You Can Never Give Your Child? by DaraAlina(f): 3:12pm On Jun 07, 2012
sadyeek:

[size=16pt]that fruit part was a mistake, I had apple in mind but nah!!

Mary is a wonderful name,
maryam(islamic) love it
[/size]

That's another name that people shouldn't be burden too.. It's too much to live up too... What happens if "Mary" isn't so like "Mary" ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

To The Married; When Did You Know He/she Was The One For You? / My Husband Does Not Like Sleeping In The Bedroom But Living Room / Few Ways To Show Love To Your Husband....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.