Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1785021 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 2:23pm On Jul 03, 2012
J12: Enugu women sabi cook food sha. I remember when men dey observe iyaba for railway quaters, that woman ofeakwu is the best i've ever tasted in my life.

Chai! The ofe akwu! Very different kind of stew for your rice. Made from the palm fruit.

I think the most inventive food chefs are the locals of Nsukka zone. You need to try the following foods to understand what I mean.

Otupiri with mgbu-ngbu (that strong tiny beans specie) Otupiri is a maize extract, the combination na die!

Achicha, this is made of dried cocoyam left for many months to blend. Achicha is cooked with lots of additives, beans, leaves and other local seasoning.

Agharagha (also called ayaraya by the locals) this one is the normal yam, sliced into tiny bits and mixed with oil and some local seasoning, no leaves.

Their own moi moi is very different, their okpa is among the best, (they cook it in empty metal tins not wrapped with leaves)

From Nsukka zone also comes the smelly okpei, a local food seasoning that is much tastier than all the maggi, knorr and royco money can buy. My mother learnt how to cook all these foods while we were living there.

You can see, my childhood was very memorable in Enugu-Ezike, Nsukka zone.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 2:26pm On Jul 03, 2012
spyder880:

Chai! The ofe akwu! Very different kind of stew for your rice. Made from the palm fruit.

I think the most inventive food chefs are the locals of Nsukka zone. You need to try the following foods to understand what I mean.

Otupiri with mgbu-ngbu (that strong tiny beans specie) Otupiri is a maize extract, the combination na die!

Achicha, this is made of dried cocoyam left for many months to blend. Achicha is cooked with lots of additives, beans, leaves and other local seasoning.

Agharagha (also called ayaraya by the locals) this one is the normal yam, sliced into tiny bits and mixed with oil and some local seasoning, no leaves.

Their own moi moi is very different, their okpa is among the best, (they cook it in empty metal tins not wrapped with leaves)

From Nsukka zone also comes the smelly okpei, a local food seasoning that is much tastier than all the maggi, knorr and royco money can buy. My mother learnt how to cook all these foods while we were living there.

spyder880:

Achicha, this is made of dried cocoyam left for many months to blend. Achicha is cooked with lots of additives, beans, leaves and other local seasoning.[b][/b]

I love my achicha.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 03, 2012
spyder880:

Sure man. Are you from enugu ezike?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 2:33pm On Jul 03, 2012
J12:
No, he's from Nkanu.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2012
J12:

No, I am from Nkanu East, but my father was a school head master in Ogurute when I was born there. He settled there. My mom was a class teacher at CPS Nkpamte Ulo.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by dagreen14: 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2012
spyder880:

No, I am from Nkanu East, but my father was a school head master in Ogurute when I was born there. He settled there. My mom was a class teacher at CPS Nkpamte Ulo.

No wonder you’re clever ....Mr Spyder
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2012
dagreen14:

No wonder you’re clever ....Mr Spyder

My man dagreen, how is your house coming out, how is our properties section doing. I will return soonest, I am set to start another thread within days. The thread will be for a new project I am starting for yet another nairalander in Ebonyi state. A duplex with a pent house on top. Its gonna be interesting!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by billante(m): 4:30pm On Jul 03, 2012
Abeg spyder continue with the photo journey! Make una leave dis una food yarns for anoda thread.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dainfamous: 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2012
enugu is like yankee very nice
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by dagreen14: 4:55pm On Jul 03, 2012
Well done Mr Spyder your post has made the front page..
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cremechic: 5:08pm On Jul 03, 2012
J12:

Abeg, na shoprite we go chop? The only places I usually enjoy in enugu is Toscana, 8 hours, afro lounge and a few others. apart from these, that place is boring, especially during december.

How dare you call enugu boring in december dts wen d groove begins. mind u enugu is now d only state in d east where d big men can come ad rrelax ssafely. owerri is just learning jor.......
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by vanstanzy(m): 5:31pm On Jul 03, 2012
Enugu, Eba no o. Don't worry Owerri will catch-up. But i love this two cities sha.
Bluetooth and other Ibo haters' on Nairaland PLEASE keep-off this thread. grin grin grin grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by NEROSKY(m): 5:32pm On Jul 03, 2012
spyder880: I was born in Enugu state, Nsukka zone, had my primary education in Enugu Ezike and later left for secondary education in my local govt of Nkanu, I was in Ozalla Boys for 6 years. I have lived in Udi zone for the past 20 years, working and doing business everywhere, especially in the capital city of Enugu. So you can see there are very few people that knows Enugu like I know it. The 3 senatorial zones of Enugu will be covered in my analysis of Enugu, maybe this thread will change a few things, and make our government to think (if they still have that ability) cheesy

My bros am from Enugu ( Ezike-Oba)
Am in IMT....
Wadup?
Brb....
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 5:33pm On Jul 03, 2012
vanstanzy: Enugu, Eba no o. Don't worry Owerri will catch-up. But i love this two cities sha.
Bluetooth and other Ibo haters' on Nairaland PLEASE keep-off this thread. grin grin grin grin
I'm happy with the way Enugu and Owerri are shaping up gradually. I hope something will be done for our commercial cities(Aba, Onitsha and Nnewi) and our food basket(Abakaliki) and other Igbo towns and cities(Asaba, Awka, Unuahia, Afikpo, Orlu, Okigwe etc).

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Forzap: 5:40pm On Jul 03, 2012
What is enugu?never heard of it b4 oo
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OAM4J: 5:44pm On Jul 03, 2012
spyder880 You are doing a marvelous job with this thread. Very balanced.

I think Enugu government should pay you for this. Well done.

I will like to visit Enugu when next I come naija if only Odunnu will host me in her room.

BTW, I am waiting to see the pictures of beautiful girls/ladies of Enugu, you can leave the pictures the men and elderly people out. Thanks in advance for this.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 5:44pm On Jul 03, 2012
Forza p: What is enugu?never heard of it b4 oo
But you've heard of malu? Right?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by vanstanzy(m): 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm happy with the way Enugu and Owerri are shaping up gradually. I hope something will be done for our commercial cities(Aba, Onitsha and Nnewi) and our food basket(Abakaliki) and other Igbo towns and cities(Asaba, Awka, Unuahia, Afikpo, Orlu, Okigwe etc).

Guyz i just wish i could leave Lagos permanently (u know start a mega biz or with a good job offer)for the east and go live a COOOOOOOOL! life. Lagos with its too much hassle is really getting on peoples nerves and making everyone jittery.
Mehn when will "solid" industrialization come to the east? I just cant wait.
But u know what, the Gov'nors and stakeholders in the east should start planning the east well as its gradually developing, lest we experience whats going-on in Lagos, POPULATION EXPLOSION.
If all the cities in the east should pick-up, imagine the heaven.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Amecharaovoko(m): 5:56pm On Jul 03, 2012
spyder880:

That is good. You really saved everything ur memory. Na two gig ?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Geomac: 5:56pm On Jul 03, 2012
I served in Amagunze, Nkanu East. Enugu is really the pride of the East.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by djosh4(m): 6:02pm On Jul 03, 2012
042 is the code;Enugu is the place! Forever proud of my home state!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dainfamous: 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2012
http://www.?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FOZ42om&h=CAQHj88PJAQEFE31FAVNfAtZTMQuJeNCOVk0HQVIpuCXJMQ

S-East roads: FG reads riot act to contractors
On July 3, 2012 · In News 12:48 am..Email0
BY ANAYO OKOLI

UMUAHIA—Federal Government has warned contractors handling federal roads in the South-East zone to execute their jobs properly, as the era when contractors did shoddy jobs or completely abandoned them after being paid was over.

Minister of Works, Mike Onolememen read the riot act when he inspected the Onitsha-Enugu expressway service lanes being handled by Consolidated Construction Company, CCC.

Onolememen also warned that contractors handling federal roads in other parts of the country to complete their jobs on time and according to specification or face sanctions.

There had been severe complaints by the people of South East, following the poor conditions of the Enugu- Umuahia- PortHarcourt Road, Enugu- Onitsha road, Enugu- Obollo Afor – Makurdi Road, Onuiyi- Ovoko – Obollo Afor road and Onistha- Owerri road among others.

“The Federal Government said it is no more business as usual for contractors handling road contracts in the South East and the country in general.

“The era of extension of jobs has gone. The Federal Government shall no longer tolerate delay of jobs, just as it will not accommodate and approve bogus augmentation on any project executed by the contractors,” the minister further warned.

According to him, “the service lane contract which started from Onitsha Bridge Head is being executed as part of the Federal Government’s effort to open up Onitsha which is the entrance into the South East”.

He told the traders currently occupying the service lanes to vacate to enable the contractor step up work on the road, and assured them that the work on the lanes would improve their trading activities.

“We are making them to know the benefit of the work we are doing on the lanes, it is in their best interest and for the sustenance of their businesses that they co-operate with the government.

“Onitsha/Enugu Express way remains very vital to the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan; it is one of the roads that is being funded through the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme, SURE, so the onus lies on the contractors to work faster and be paid as soon as they have their certificate”, Onolememem said.

The Minister however expressed satisfaction on the level of work done on the service lane by CCC construction company, and urged them to step up their speed on the job.
The Area Manager South East of the Consolidated Construction Company, Mr. Hisham Gosayni, in his remarks, said that part of the challenges facing the company was the refusal of some traders on the service lane to vacate for them to complete the job.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by favorfavor: 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2012
enugwu coal city i cannot wait to visit
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by anonimi: 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2012
Good, highly impressive physical infrastructures, no doubt.
But why do we FAIL to maintain structures, be they buildings, roads, waste dumping sites etc That colonial building picture that supposedly houses the Ministry of Lands definitely must have trained civil and maintenance engineers- why can't they keep the building spring clean And some of these leaders trained on scholarship in Europe where their schools and universities had buildings that were built in the 19th century still shining angry

Most Nigerians are also too individualistic and selfish. Hence we will build magnificent mansions with concrete compound to park multiple cars only to drive onto [size=13pt]untarred, dusty road just outside the massive gates[/size]

It will also be good to find out how Sullivan Chime is doing with human development? Is he doing as well as he seems to have done with NEW, dazzling shine, shine infrastructures
Let us remember that [size=13pt]an untrained child will sell off all the properties he inherits.[/size] It is not only true at the individual family level, it is also true at the larger societal level.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Diligence: 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2012
Good efforts; of course Enugu, as well as other SE States, is the pride of South East. Anambra, Aba and other major SE states are mostly industrial/commercial - economic centres of SE. Enugu used to be civil servants base (housing, etc), however, over the years, the equanimity associated wt the Original Enugu still persists!

I am proud of Enugu? Nay, so proud, indeed!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by favorfavor: 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2012
ofe nsala is awka invention-anambra state get ur facts straight
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2012
creme chic:

How dare you call enugu boring in december dts wen d groove begins. mind u enugu is now d only state in d east where d big men can come ad rrelax ssafely. owerri is just learning jor.......

ol'girl dey one side abeg
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 6:37pm On Jul 03, 2012
Enugu bu isi mmiri ala Igbo! Enugu state is the melting pot of Igboland.If Nigeria gets it right, the state will be home to 4 Highways(EN-ONSH, EN-PH, EN-CLB, EN-MARD).What it means is Enugu State residents will have easy access to other parts of Nigeria. One thing I would like the State government to do is to invest massively in rural roads. Why should someone at Nike or Amechi-Idodo drive through Enugu on his way to Agbani? There should be new roads linking the major towns and villages. Can the State government also negotiate a relocation of 82 Division HQ of Nigerian Army from its present city centre premises, to somewhere along EN-PH or EN- OSHA highways? We don't need an army base where it's currently situated.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dainfamous: 6:37pm On Jul 03, 2012
BREAKING NEWS'President of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has sued FG before a Lagos Fed. High Court over a cement waiver granted to Ibeto Cement Company.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by agabaI23(m): 6:39pm On Jul 03, 2012
Odunnu:
Evu le moo, e vu le moo. Enwere m onye le vum. Lol
You are such a comic! grin grin grin Who taught you?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Piyke: 6:40pm On Jul 03, 2012
Very good work spidy!!! Very comprehensive and balanced. I just remembered the point and kill joints cheesy at Nza street independence layout. Men I miss Enugu!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.