Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (184) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1785133 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 11:05pm On Jul 12, 2014
HappyJoe:

That Onitsha port is a scam - what we need is dredging Warri port, it is a few hours drive from Onitsha.

Let me explain this to you, even if you dredge the Niger at Onitsha, it will only accommodate shallow draft vessels which will first have to load at either Warri or Port Harcourt (you can't have ocean going vessels at Onitsha, just river barges).

Anyway, to cut a long story short - the Hausa & Yoruba cabal don't want a functioning port in the Niger Delta - you can see how they killed Tinapa. And Jonathan is too docile to do anything about that.
. https://www.nairaland.com/271718/ijaws-oppose-river-niger-dredging Ijaws oppose River Niger dredging
From Kelvin Ebiri, Port Harcourt

CITING alleged adverse impact the project might have on the ecology of the Niger Delta, the Ijaw National Congress (INC) has kicked against plans by the Federal Government to dredge River Niger for the proposed Onitsha Inland Seaport.

The INC stressed that the government should publicise the project's environmental impact assessment report before going ahead with it.

Spokesman, INC, Victor Burubo, told The Guardian that the proposed dredging of the River Niger would have a negative impact on the lives of Rivers and Bayelsa states people who are predominantly into fishing and farming.

His words: "We think that dredging the River Niger is not economically good for the Niger Delta whose people live by fishing and farming. There are enough seaports in the South and the location of the seaports here have not stopped goods moving to Onitsha and Aba. The Onitsha Inland Seaport for which they are trying to dredge the River Niger will create a big problem for us."

He added: "The environmental impact assessment report should be made available to everybody. People do these things because there are contracts and huge profits to be made. What is the guarantee that the river will not in the next 15 years become shallow again because of our poor maintenance culture?"

The INC urged the Federal Government to improve facilities at the Port Harcourt, Onne, Calabar and Warri ports as well as remove the restrictions placed on certain goods from landing at these ports.

It also asked the government to offer incentives to importers and exporters using these ports to encourage better patronage.

Burubo added: "The Federal Government should stop the Onitsha port project and enhance the operational ability of existing southern ports. The Onitsha seaport is unnecessary because it will change the whole ecology of the Niger Delta."
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChinoElects: 11:09pm On Jul 12, 2014
^^^And who gives a fvck about what your ND thinks about?

Onitsha Port has come to stay. I saw further expansion work going on there last month. I am sure is one of the recommendations of the concessionaires. It will shock you soon when it rolls out for operations.

Like as I said Onitsha has come to stay and there is nothing hateful and envious clown as you can do about!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 11:12pm On Jul 12, 2014
ChinoElects: ^^^And who gives a fvck about what your ND thinks about?
Onitsha Port has come to stay. I saw further expansion work going on there last month. I am sure is one of the recommendations of the concessionaires. It will shock you soon when it rolls out for operations.

Nothing is happening there. If that "port" starts operation in 10 years time, collect a million dollars from me.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChinoElects: 11:14pm On Jul 12, 2014
Are you living in the River Niger? How did you know that nothing is happening there? No wonder you were recommending warri port! You can stake your money and let see if it does not start operation in 1 year.

HappyJoe:

Nothing is happening there. If that "port" starts operation in 10 years time, collect a million dollars from me.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by C0llynzO2: 11:14pm On Jul 12, 2014
HappyJoe:

In 10 years?
Anyway, I don't think you have a million dollars either so it must be all about exaggeration.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 11:26pm On Jul 12, 2014
HappyJoe:

That Onitsha port is a scam - what we need is dredging Warri port, it is a few hours drive from Onitsha.

Let me explain this to you, even if you dredge the Niger at Onitsha, it will only accommodate shallow draft vessels which will first have to load at either Warri or Port Harcourt (you can't have ocean going vessels at Onitsha, just river barges).

Anyway, to cut a long story short - the Hausa & Yoruba cabal don't want a functioning port in the Niger Delta - you can see how they killed Tinapa. And Jonathan is too docile to do anything about that.

^^^There's an old pic i found on the net a while back of a ship docked at Onitsha in the 50s.......this was a time before 'Nigeria' and all its evil shenanigans and subtle marginalization against Ndigbo started! Just wish i can find it now!

If a ship can sail up the Panama canal, why can't one sail up the Niger? All it needs is a little man-made intervention and commitment! This is why i say this country is holding us back as a people......we have to move at the pace of the slowest in the so-called union, and first seek permission from hateful people (who would want to hold us down) before we can do what's best for our regional economy!

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 15, 2014
By Tony Edike
ENUGU — The Air wing of the Nigeria Police Force, NAF, will soon commence surveillance of the five South East states.

As a result of this, the police authorities have approved the construction of a helipad for Heliporters at the Emene Industrial Layout Extension, near Enugu which is a distance of about three kilometers from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport for the exercise.
Work on the air strip for the helipad being undertaken by Enugu State government has reached an advanced stage and sources said the police helicopters were being expected in Enugu to commence air surveillance of the entire South East zone.

It was learnt that the police decided to site the Helipad in the zone to ensure quick response to distress calls arising from security threats in any of the five states of south east.
Enugu State government which agreed to finance the construction of the Helipad has already approved N119,713, 275.26 for the project which includes completion of the external works.

The State Commissioner for Information, Mr. Chuks Ugwoke who spoke on the issue in Enugu, said that the state government undertook the project as part of its support to the police force.

He said that government was already handling the construction of the Hanger which would also serve as the Police Helicopter administrative block and a guest house, adding that work on the project was almost completed.

Ugwoke further said that the money approved for the project would ensure the construction of the Helipad and other external works like concrete drains, fire-fighting equipment, generators and taxi park, among others.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/police-begin-air-surveillance-s-east-states/

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 11:40pm On Jul 15, 2014
WHITE Chiefs Football Club of Enugu have emerged champions (Boys Category) of the South Eastern Zone of the Airtel Rising Stars Season4 football championship concluded at the weekend at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, Enugu Campus.
In the female category, White PrincessesFC also of Enugu piped Red Heroines2-0 in a scintillating final to cart home a giant trophy and medals for their efforts.
The final, which was attended by big wigs in Enugu sports, saw the White Chiefs in a devastating mood as they silenced the Red Monarchs with two unreplied goals to win the title.
Players from both the winning and the losing teams were selected to form the teams that will represent the zone in the national finals slated for Lagos later this month.
The capacity crowd at the UNEC Stadium that watched the exciting championship finals includedthe Enugu State Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Chijioke Agu who was ably representedby a deputy director in the ministry, Emma Nnaji, Chidi Ofo Okenwa and chairman of Enugu State Grassroots Football Managers Association, Christian Oduma, among others.
Former Nigeria international, Ann Chiejinne, who mentored the kids said, "I am satisfied with the outcome, believing that we have donethe right thing in both the boys and girls categories. The thing is that they must continue to train ahead of the national final."
On his part, Alex Iroapali, the zonal coordinator said, "Everything went well as we finished on schedule. If the right thing is donein the final, I see these teams doing well at the national final. I believe the best will represent the zone in Lagos."
Meanwhile, Nwachukwu Silas of the Red Monarchs was declared as the Most Valuable Player (male), while Ezinne Nwokochawas adjudged the MVP in the female category.
The Highest goal scorer(Golden boot) award in the male and female categories went to Okwodu Emeka and Mary Anjor respectively.
The best goalkeeper award went to Doris Okorie in the female category, while UgochukwuAgbai won it in the male category.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 16, 2014
I think that Abagworos article is correct, I heard that kind of thing before.
They had allowed the FG to pollute their lands in the process of oil exploration but they are rejecting a wonderful project/breakthrough for the eastern region .
But I don't want to believe the ijaws hold the yam and the knife in this port this port issue.
The FG can have her way if she wants to, all I see is lack of will

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 12:35pm On Jul 16, 2014
Evergreen123: I think that Abagworos article is correct, I heard that kind of thing before.
They had allowed the FG to pollute their lands in the process of oil exploration but they are rejecting a wonderful project/breakthrough for the eastern region .
But I don't want to believe the ijaws hold the yam and the knife in this port this port issue.
The FG can have her way if she wants to, all I see is lack of will
. Its not as easy as you think. Large scale dredging of the Niger will have a multiplier effect on the riverine area including the direct tributaries going shallow and some sub-tributaries drying up. A lot of compensations need to be paid as livelihood is the most important aspect when it comes to issue of compensation. The Onitsha port can be opened for smaller vessels with small scale dredging of Niger for easy passage or for marine passenger transport.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2014
Abagworo: . Its not as easy as you think. Large scale dredging of the Niger will have a multiplier effect on the riverine area including the direct tributaries going shallow and some sub-tributaries drying up. A lot of compensations need to be paid as livelihood is the most important aspect when it comes to issue of compensation. The Onitsha port can be opened for smaller vessels with small scale dredging of Niger for easy passage or for marine passenger transport.

How did the royal Niger company use the port for palm oil exportation again?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:33pm On Jul 16, 2014
These are some of the pictures that got deleted during nairaland crash.
Abakaliki road, Enugu.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2014
Phase 6, Trans Ekulu, Enugu.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2014
Corporate social responsibility.

Nigerian breweries management's beautification of Ninth mile roundabout.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:48pm On Jul 16, 2014
Ninth mile corner, Ngwo.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 7:19pm On Jul 16, 2014
Evergreen123:
How did the royal Niger company use the port for palm oil exportation again?

That was before containerization & in those days we did a lot more of exports than imports - not like today.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 16, 2014
HappyJoe:

That was before containerization & in those days we did a lot more of exports than imports - not like today.

Are we not still exporting goods from the east of the Niger?
My point is that there has been no tangible reason for the delay in dredging n port activities

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by awodman: 8:20pm On Jul 16, 2014
HappyJoe:

Onye nkuzi...You and all these ur bets...Remember u said something similar on 2nd Niger bridge,Lagos-Ibadan highway,2014 budget and many more...

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by collynzo2(m): 8:35pm On Jul 16, 2014
Enugu is working.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 8:45pm On Jul 16, 2014
Suez and panama canals. Why not Onitsha river port?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 8:53pm On Jul 16, 2014
Best we can do is demand for functional rail link from the coast of SS states

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:15pm On Jul 16, 2014
Evergreen123:
Are we not still exporting goods from the east of the Niger?
My point is that there has been no tangible reason for the delay in dredging n port activities

What are we "exporting"? Onitsha can never be a "sea port", it is a river port & river ports can only accommodate river barges, not ocean going vessels. What this means is that you will still have a trans-shipment point for ocean going vessels at either Warri or Port Harcourt.

Presently, Warri & PH aren't dredged to the depth to accommodate the really large ocean-going vessels from places like China, so it makes economic sense for say, Maersk to berth at Lagos with really large vessels than to either use smaller vessels for Warri & PH - then Onitsha or risk its larger vessels running aground in the Niger Delta.

Lagos is kept as Nigeria's only serious deep sea port to satisfy a cabal, but even at that, West Africa's only true deep sea port is at San Antonio in Cote d'Ivoire - really large vessels offload there to smaller vessels going to Lagos.

Serious business people will tell you the Onitsha port is a scam used to buy Igbo votes. Onitsha will only be useful as an internal logistics hub - i.e. moving bulk goods like cement & steel from Onitsha to say, Baro or Makurdi - & then the North. It isn't economically feasible as an export port.

What Igbos should fight for is a deep sea port at either Calabar, Ibaka, PH or Warri - and a solid railway connections to Onitsha. That was what Donald Duke tried to accomplish with Tinapa, but the Yoruba/Lagos cabal killed that idea by refusing to dredge the Calabar channel.

So let's understand the true state of things.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:17pm On Jul 16, 2014
Unemadu: Suez and panama canals. Why not Onitsha river port?
Unemadu: Suez and panama canals. Why not Onitsha river port?

Take out a map, compare the geography of Suez & Panama with Onitsha - no point for argument.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChinoElects: 9:22pm On Jul 16, 2014
What is really eating you up this jobless clown? Onitsha Port has come to stay will you now kill yourself? Do you know that FG pumped over 5billion to set Onitsha Port up? Are you now saying that FG threw in their 5billion as a scam? Get a life dude and stop arguing over what you do not know!

Onitsha Port has come to stay and there is no rubbish you write on the internet that can stop it. Your ranting only ends on nairaland as a jobless daft!

HappyJoe:

Take out a map, compare the geography of Suez & Panama with Onitsha - no point for argument.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 16, 2014
HappyJoe:

What are we "exporting"? Onitsha can never be a "sea port", it is a river port & river ports can only accommodate river barges, not ocean going vessels. What this means is that you will still have a trans-shipment point for ocean going vessels at either Warri or Port Harcourt.

Presently, Warri & PH aren't dredged to the depth to accommodate the really large ocean-going vessels from places like China, so it makes economic sense for say, Maersk to berth at Lagos with really large vessels than to either use smaller vessels for Warri & PH - then Onitsha or risk its larger vessels running aground in the Niger Delta.

Lagos is kept as Nigeria's only serious deep sea port to satisfy a cabal, but even at that, West Africa's only true deep sea port is at San Antonio in Cote d'Ivoire - really large vessels offload there to smaller vessels going to Lagos.

Serious business people will tell you the Onitsha port is a scam used to buy Igbo votes. Onitsha will only be useful as an internal logistics hub - i.e. moving bulk goods like cement & steel from Onitsha to say, Baro or Makurdi - & then the North. It isn't economically feasible as an export port.

What Igbos should fight for is a deep sea port at either Calabar, Ibaka, PH or Warri - and a solid railway connections to Onitsha. That was what Donald Duke tried to accomplish with Tinapa, but the Yoruba/Lagos cabal killed that idea by refusing to dredge the Calabar channel.

So let's understand the true state of things.

That's what am saying .
Ports should be built in the former eastern region, the rants of those minorities should be ignored cos its obvious they don't know what is good for the region.
Warri n pH shd also be dredged to service Onitsha river port, let it do the the much it can carry
The river shouldn't be left lying dormant like that.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:49pm On Jul 16, 2014
ChinoElects: What is really eating you up this jobless clown? Onitsha Port has come to stay will you now kill yourself? Do you know that FG pumped over 5billion to set Onitsha Port up? Are you now saying that FG threw in their 5billion as a scam? Get a life dude and stop arguing over what you do not know!
Onitsha Port has come to stay and there is no rubbish you write on the internet that can stop it. Your ranting only ends on nairaland as a jobless daft!

I'm not interested in juvenile insults - especially from people who don't know they are talking about. If the "Onitsha port" wasn't a scam, we would have seen it in operation, long ago.

And mind you, "dredging" is not a one-off event, it has to happen regularly or the channel/river is silted over again.

No point arguing with you, when your "port" starts operation, tell me.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChinoElects: 9:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
My friend you are not making any point that is why you deserve every bit of the insult. Do you live in the River Niger to know that nothing is going on there? Did you know that FG pumped over 5billion into the Onitsha Port? Did you know that River Niger has been dredged from Warri all through Onitsha to Niger state? How then can you say that it is a scam? How can FG fritter 5billlion for no just cause!

Onitsha Port has been completed and it is being handed over to the concessionaires to manage it!

Like as I said your ranting cannot and will not stop Onitsha Port. It has come to stay for good as the economic hub of the East. The best you can do is to die of frustration and bitterness!

HappyJoe:

I'm not interested in juvenile insults - especially from people who don't know they are talking about. If the "Onitsha port" wasn't a scam, we would have seen it in operation, long ago.

And mind you, "dredging" is not a one-off event, it has to happen regularly or the channel/river is silted over again.

No point arguing with you, when your "port" starts operation, tell me.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChinoElects: 9:59pm On Jul 16, 2014
Now read this to solve your ignorance problem!

To meet the 2014 target set by the Federal Government for the concession of Onitsha River Port, the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) said it has engaged consultants to fashion out the concession plan.

Managing Director of NIWA, Hajia Inna Ciroma disclosed this to newsmen in Lokoja recently.

She denied report that Government has abandoned the Lokoja River Port, saying work is ongoing on the Idah Jetty and will soon be completed.
She said the move to concession the river ports is aimed at maximizing the gains of the dredging of the Lower Niger River, as well as boost water transportation in the country.
Inna Ciroma further disclosed that the agency would soon convene a meeting of stakeholders in the maritime industry on the benefits of the water transportation especially for movement of cargo.
She said the first leg of the meeting would take place in Onitsha. The meeting will continue at other venues subsequently.
According to her, haulage companies, exporters, importers, manufacturing companies and members of the organized private sector will be attending the meeting.
She disclosed that the agency has started installing security gadgets along the waterways.
The NIWA managing director further said that the first phase of the project from Baro to Lokoja has been completed.
She also said that 12 gunboats acquired by the agency in 2012 have been deployed to sensitive points along the water channel to secure the waters.
She added that the federal government would soon dredge the River Benue and build a River Port in Makurdi.

http://www.championonlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=12555:fg-to-concession-onitsha-river-port-in-2014&Itemid=137&lang=en

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 10:23pm On Jul 16, 2014
To save this Enugu thread all the discussions about Onitsha port should be done here. Thank you all. https://www.nairaland.com/782281/first-cargo-ships-berth-onitsha

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
Abagworo: To save this Enugu thread all the discussions about Onitsha port should be done here. Thank you all. https://www.nairaland.com/782281/first-cargo-ships-berth-onitsha
thanks.
Chino and happyjoe, enough said
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 5:28am On Jul 17, 2014
HappyJoe:

panama is man made. suez is narrower than the river Niger.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 12:50pm On Jul 17, 2014
Unemadu:
panama is man made. suez is narrower than the river Niger.

Panama is on a narrow isthmus separating two oceans, where is Onitsha located?\

Suez is on a narrow strip of land separating Mediterranean from the Red Sea.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.