Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (375) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1785979 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Graceovereffort(f): 1:52pm On May 15, 2015
spyder880:
Awgu ulu ejee,
these stones are well sought after and of good quality. Presenting to you, the iron stones from Awgu town.

Spyder pls these stones can they be called gravel or granite? how strong are they for building purposes?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:19pm On May 15, 2015
Graceovereffort:

Spyder pls these stones can they be called gravel or granite? how strong are they for building purposes?

They are just stones, they have properties of granite, remember Awgu shares a boundary with the granite rich lands of Ishiagu in Ebonyi state.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 3:20pm On May 15, 2015
OreMI22:

We have discussed this issue in this thread.There has to be property taxes in Enugu and indeed Nigeria to help the state government meet her financial obligation.

Property taxes should not be made exorbitant that it will be better to bribe the state officials than pay the taxes. A bungalow can pay N1000 naira per year and a Duplex perhaps N2,000 naira per year. A commercial two storey about N5,000 per year. Also the property taxes should be paid into select banks and a photocopy of the receipt pasted where it is visible to state tax agents going round to pick out tax evaders. Enugu can generate billions of naira every year just on property taxes if they make it affordable for people to pay easily.

Unless those annual fees are monthly, it'll just be a misguided token. If you own a 4 story commercial property, paying 10k monthly shouldnt be a burden.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 3:22pm On May 15, 2015
OreMI22:

We have discussed this issue in this thread.There has to be property taxes in Enugu and indeed Nigeria to help the state government meet her financial obligation.

Property taxes should not be made exorbitant that it will be better to bribe the state officials than pay the taxes. A bungalow can pay N1000 naira per year and a Duplex perhaps N2,000 naira per year. A commercial two storey about N5,000 per year. Also the property taxes should be paid into select banks and a photocopy of the receipt pasted where it is visible to state tax agents going round to pick out tax evaders. Enugu can generate billions of naira every year just on property taxes if they make it affordable for people to pay easily.

Unless those annual fees are monthly, it'll just be a misguided token. If you own a 4 story commercial property, paying 10k monthly shouldnt be a burden. As long as ppl see the results they'll be fine with it. But they should charge all commercial buildings the same to discourage bungalows and wasting land through sprawl

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Graceovereffort(f): 3:50pm On May 15, 2015
spyder880:

They are just stones, they have properties of granite, remember Awgu shares a boundary with the granite rich lands of Ishiagu in Ebonyi state.
OK i guess it must be expensive then. Can be bought in lagos too?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:41pm On May 15, 2015
Ikengawo:

Unless those annual fees are monthly, it'll just be a misguided token. If you own a 4 story commercial property, paying 10k monthly shouldnt be a burden. As long as ppl see the results they'll be fine with it. But they should charge all commercial buildings the same to discourage bungalows and wasting land through sprawl

I like the part where you said "as long as people see the results" this is very important, that the people see the benefits of their payments.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:37pm On May 16, 2015
This is the older parts of Achara layout, Enugu and houses are so old and dirty looking after years of dust and weather. Notice that people are making some efforts to repaint their old houses.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 16, 2015
It’s a disgrace for Igbo to beg Buhari for appointments — Ohanaeze

By Vincent Ujumadu, Awka

APC Presidential Campaign Candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, (middle) flanked by APC National Chairman, All Progressive Congress (APC), Chief John Odigie Oyegun, APC Chieftain and former Goverinor, Chief Ogbonnaya Ono, Eze Ndi Igbo Suleja, Amb (Dr.) Igwe Collins Chibueze Okoli, Uche Eginti Eze Udo, President General Igbo delegates Assembly (IDA) of the19 Northern States, Chief Damian Sunny Inyamah and others adopt GEN Muhammadu Buhari for 2015 Presidency at the APC Presidential Campaign office in Abuja. PHOTO; SUNDAY AGHAEZE

THE Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization has described as a disgrace to the Igbo nation, the decision of some Igbo people to beg the president -elect, General Muhammadu Buhari for appointments in his government that will take off on May 29, 2015.

President of Ohaneze in Anambra State, Chief Chris Eluomunoh, who is also the chairman of Ohaneze State Presidents’ Forum for the seven Igbo-speaking states, said at a news conference in Awka that issues of federal appointments were constitutional obligations which every president of Nigeria, irrespective of the voting pattern of a people in an election, must obey.

He condemned in its entirety, the move by certain people who claimed to be representing the Igbo to be begging the president-elect for appointments of Ndigbo in his government. According to him, Igbo nation is an integral part of Nigeria and must get their due share in Nigeria, adding that appointing Igbo people into offices should not in any way be regarded as doing them any favour.

Eluomunoh said there was nothing unusual for a group to be in opposition, telling Igbo people not to see the defeat of Jonathan as the end of their progress in the politics of Nigeria. He said: “It is a disgrace for any Igbo to be begging General Buhari for appointment, after all Buhari and others in the South West and members of his party had been in opposition for the past 16 years and they never begged Jonathan for appointment.

“As far as the politics of Nigeria is concerned, General Buhari and the incoming APC government must involve the South East in the zonal arrangement. “With Buhari as the president and the South West as the vice president, the next most important appointment, which is the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, must come from the South East. We don’t have to beg for it and so those who went to Buhari to beg for appointment on behalf of Igbo did not represent Igbo.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/its-a-disgrace-for-igbo-to-beg-buhari-for-appointments-ohanaeze/

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 11:47pm On May 16, 2015
centje:
It’s a disgrace for Igbo to beg Buhari for appointments — Ohanaeze

By Vincent Ujumadu, Awka

APC Presidential Campaign Candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, (middle) flanked by APC National Chairman, All Progressive Congress (APC), Chief John Odigie Oyegun, APC Chieftain and former Goverinor, Chief Ogbonnaya Ono, Eze Ndi Igbo Suleja, Amb (Dr.) Igwe Collins Chibueze Okoli, Uche Eginti Eze Udo, President General Igbo delegates Assembly (IDA) of the19 Northern States, Chief Damian Sunny Inyamah and others adopt GEN Muhammadu Buhari for 2015 Presidency at the APC Presidential Campaign office in Abuja. PHOTO; SUNDAY AGHAEZE

THE Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization has described as a disgrace to the Igbo nation, the decision of some Igbo people to beg the president -elect, General Muhammadu Buhari for appointments in his government that will take off on May 29, 2015.

President of Ohaneze in Anambra State, Chief Chris Eluomunoh, who is also the chairman of Ohaneze State Presidents’ Forum for the seven Igbo-speaking states, said at a news conference in Awka that issues of federal appointments were constitutional obligations which every president of Nigeria, irrespective of the voting pattern of a people in an election, must obey.

He condemned in its entirety, the move by certain people who claimed to be representing the Igbo to be begging the president-elect for appointments of Ndigbo in his government. According to him, Igbo nation is an integral part of Nigeria and must get their due share in Nigeria, adding that appointing Igbo people into offices should not in any way be regarded as doing them any favour.

Eluomunoh said there was nothing unusual for a group to be in opposition, telling Igbo people not to see the defeat of Jonathan as the end of their progress in the politics of Nigeria. He said: “It is a disgrace for any Igbo to be begging General Buhari for appointment, after all Buhari and others in the South West and members of his party had been in opposition for the past 16 years and they never begged Jonathan for appointment.

“As far as the politics of Nigeria is concerned, General Buhari and the incoming APC government must involve the South East in the zonal arrangement. “With Buhari as the president and the South West as the vice president, the next most important appointment, which is the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, must come from the South East. We don’t have to beg for it and so those who went to Buhari to beg for appointment on behalf of Igbo did not represent Igbo.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/its-a-disgrace-for-igbo-to-beg-buhari-for-appointments-ohanaeze/

Those begging Buhari for appointment are on their own. They should however stop using the name "Igbo" to beg for their personal aggrandizement.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 11:48pm On May 16, 2015
spyder880:
This is the older parts of Achara layout, Enugu and houses are so old and dirty looking after years of dust and weather. Notice that people are making some efforts to repaint their old houses.

As Igboson had stated earlier in this thread, the state and LGA authorities should embark on encouraging landlords of dilapidated buildings to re-paint them. It is easier said than done to ask our people to spend money on aesthetics. But at least the effort should be made.

Certain colors as the dark brown color in that picture last longer than the bright colors.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:58am On May 17, 2015
OreMI22:

As Igboson had stated earlier in this thread, the state and LGA authorities should embark on encouraging landlords of dilapidated buildings to re-paint them. It is easier said than done to ask our people to spend money on aesthetics. But at least the effort should be made.

Certain colors as the dark brown color in that picture last longer than the bright colors.

This is true, just like the colour of the house here.... http://amazingviewpoints..com/2015/03/painting-colour-choice-for-your-house.html

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 7:06pm On May 17, 2015
spyder880:

This is true, just like the colour of the house here.... http://amazingviewpoints..com/2015/03/painting-colour-choice-for-your-house.html

Exactly Chief.
That color isn't easily tainted or ruined by dust, which is a given in our environment. Thus makes the building stay new for very long periods.
Permit me Sir to post the picture of the house.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Macelliot(m): 8:18pm On May 17, 2015
Enugu my home.... The coal city...

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Macelliot(m): 9:10pm On May 17, 2015
Igbonazy:
Imagine...
Rumuigbo(Umu Igbo),
Rumuokoro(Umu Okoro),Rumumasi(Umu mazi), Obiigbo(Obi Igbo)

Yet these people are denying their igboness.
But little by little they are now realising they are being played by the "Divide and Conquer" Northern elites. I even saw 2 ikwerres threatening secession with Briafran maps and flags as profix pics. grin
The Ikwerre denyance still baffles me...
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Macelliot(m): 9:29pm On May 17, 2015
Dawn123
Noticed that, you have been scanning through this thread for a long time.... Huh!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dawn123(f): 4:13am On May 18, 2015
Have to decide where to settle when we eventually move back to Nigeria. Enugu is at the top of our list. Spider advice on the best area to buy land and build?

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 5:08am On May 18, 2015
There's needs to be better materials used for building like cladding and other materials that do not require painting. Painting isn't really good for the region because of harmattan, even then I don't know if many buildings are painted at all in more developed countries with clearer climates anymore, only old buildings and very regularly. It doesn't have to be expensive either, a simple wood panelling with varnish would last longer than paint in a harmattan zone.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:21am On May 18, 2015
Dawn123:
Have to decide where to settle when we eventually move back to Nigeria. Enugu is at the top of our list. Spider advice on the best area to buy land and build?

The question of choice is to be considered with available resources, I would love to recommend Independence layout or Old GRA but we have to consider the cost of lands in those two locations. Trans Ekulu should come third because of the lower land cost there.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Macelliot(m): 10:26am On May 18, 2015
Dawn123:
Nice one!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dawn123(f): 4:50pm On May 18, 2015
What are the price ranges for independence layout and trans ekulu?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:48pm On May 18, 2015
Dawn123:
What are the price ranges for independence layout and trans ekulu?

Average prices at Independence layout is N15m while Trans Ekulu is an average of about N9m
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 7:34pm On May 18, 2015
OreMI22:

brilliant! it's actually a really good idea to go ahead a man the buildings the same color as the soil or a mixed 'sandy' color so that the damage from dust won't appear and will look like a part of the building. Such in intelligent and simple solution to a major problem in the city.

A lot of architectural marvels are built with commercial bricks that are naturally this color. I wonder why they're not popular in Nigeria?
It's appears that the ancients were wiser than us in building with the natural colors of the earth, because they had knowledge of paint but only used it decoratively for graphics or illustrations

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 8:16pm On May 18, 2015
Ikengawo:

brilliant! it's actually a really good idea to go ahead a man the buildings the same color as the soil or a mixed 'sandy' color so that the damage from dust won't appear and will look like a part of the building. Such in intelligent and simple solution to a major problem in the city.

A lot of architectural marvels are built with commercial bricks that are naturally this color. I wonder why they're not popular in Nigeria?
It's appears that the ancients were wiser than us in building with the natural colors of the earth, because they had knowledge of paint but only used it decoratively for graphics or illustrations

The brick factory in my village rotting away now.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 8:19pm On May 18, 2015
biafrandream:

The brick factory in my village rotting away now.

Any reasons why?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 8:24am On May 19, 2015
Ikengawo:

Any reasons why?

I think economic sabotage is the main reason. The factory belongs to the federal government though, so ndi ugwu must have contributed in running it down so that we can buy low quality Dangote cement. Most brick houses in Enugu were built with bricks from that factory. If Enugu houses were built with bricks we wouldn't have the problem of having to repaint buildings intermittently because of dust. It also seems to me that brick houses last longer. My college alma mater classrooms where built with bricks and till date, they are looking and standing strong as new.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:39am On May 19, 2015
biafrandream:

I think economic sabotage is the main reason. The factory belongs to the federal government though, so ndi ugwu must have contributed in running it down so that we can buy low quality Dangote cement. Most brick houses in Enugu were built with bricks from that factory. If Enugu houses were built with bricks we wouldn't have the problem of having to repaint buildings intermittently because of dust. It also seems to me that brick houses last longer. My college alma mater classrooms where built with bricks and till date, they are looking and standing strong as new.

Pls let's stop playing the ostrich lest our problems remain unsolved, Anambra State government have brick factory beside ABS but later the company stopped working, will you tell me an aboki is responsible.
The problem is that the nature of houses in East normally make people to use concretes and blocks, if we continue using brick in building East don't you know erosion would have sacked us from there considering where it will be sourced.

Most of the brick houses in Enuugwu are pre colonial and they are not commercial buildings and rarely highrise.

Brick is not popular in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 9:12am On May 19, 2015
BuddahMonk:

Pls let's stop playing the ostrich lest our problems remain unsolved, Anambra State government have brick factory beside ABS but later the company stopped working, will you tell me an aboki is responsible.
The problem is that the nature of houses in East normally make people to use concretes and blocks, if we continue using brick in building East don't you know erosion would have sacked us from there considering where it will be sourced.

Most of the brick houses in Enuugwu are pre colonial and they are not commercial buildings and rarely highrise.

Brick is not popular in Nigeria

The houses in Trans-Ekulu are pre-colonial? British people have been using bricks for more than 500 years and I am not sure erosion has sacked them. The problem with us is that we have little or no regard for our environment. We excavate soil and abandon the place to the vagaries of the elements. Places that are erosion-prone should not be not mined until a proper environmental impact assessment is carried out.

Mining of sand in our rivers, presents it's own problem as well. I visited one of the rivers sometime ago and I spoke to one of the sand miners, he told me that sand is becoming scarce these days and I asked him what he thought would happen in 50 years time, he told me that honestly the future of our environment is bleak. Please if live in Enugu, visit the bridges there, you will realize that the base of most of the bridges have been washed off due to indiscriminate mining of sand. One day there will be no sand to mine in those rivers.

Whether we are mining clay or sandy soil, every mining activity should be regulated to save our environment, that's the bottom line.

As at the time the brick factory in my village closed, a lot of people who placed orders were waiting for their deliveries but they never received them, so it's not as if people were not buying the bricks and that is why I alleged economic sabotage. One of my uncles had to use blocks to complete his house fencing because the factory shot down.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 12:09pm On May 19, 2015
biafrandream:

The houses in Trans-Ekulu are pre-colonial? British people have been using bricks for more than 500 years and I am not sure erosion has sacked them. The problem with us is that we have little or no regard for our environment. We excavate soil and abandon the place to the vagaries of the elements. Places that are erosion-prone should not be not mined until a proper environmental impact assessment is carried out.

Mining of sand in our rivers, presents it's own problem as well. I visited one of the rivers sometime ago and I spoke to one of the sand miners, he told me that sand is becoming scarce these days and I asked him what he thought would happen in 50 years time, he told me that honestly the future of our environment is bleak. Please if live in Enugu, visit the bridges there, you will realize that the base of most of the bridges have been washed off due to indiscriminate mining of sand. One day there will be no sand to mine in those rivers.

Whether we are mining clay or sandy soil, every mining activity should be regulated to save our environment, that's the bottom line.

As at the time the brick factory in my village closed, a lot of people who placed orders were waiting for their deliveries but they never received them, so it's not as if people were not buying the bricks and that is why I alleged economic sabotage. One of my uncles had to use blocks to complete his house fencing because the factory shot down.

You deserve an award for the bolded statement.
Sometimes we act as though our environment is someone else's business.

In my childhood days, the elders chastised one for not sweeping the compound in the morning or indiscriminately urinating anywhere or cutting trees, especially palm trees. Today, such simple elements to respect our environment has disappeared. We excavate hill sides and abandon it to the mercy of erosion.

Using red bricks will be a good addition to our architectural design of buildings.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jazzydee: 8:38pm On May 19, 2015
[size=15pt]Five Members Confirmed Dead As Catholic Cathedral In Enugu Collapses
[/size]
No fewer than five worshippers died following the collapse of the St. Anthony Catholic Church Cathedral in Oduma, Aninri Local Government Area of Enugu State.

According to reports from NAN, the incidence occurred between 8:00pm and 9:00pm Saturday night following a downpour.

The eyewitness said that the worshippers were in a prayer meeting when the incident occurred.

Confirming the incidence, the Police Public Relations Officer for the police command in the state, Mr Ebere Amarizu, said that the cause of the incidence was not yet known.

“Yes, I can confirm to you that five persons died following the collapse of St. Anthony Catholic Church at about 8 p.m, but we are yet to know the cause.

“It is not yet clear as to what brought about the collapse of the building, but we have commenced full investigations into the incidence,” Amarizu said.
http://rhodiesworld.com/five-members-confirmed-dead-as-catholic-cathedral-in-enugu-collapses/

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by customized07: 11:11am On May 20, 2015
At the airport, enroute Lagos. Be back by weekend

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 11:17am On May 20, 2015
You should have taken more pics of the airport...and captured the new one being built if possible!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by customized07: 11:18am On May 20, 2015
IGBOSON1:
You should have taken more pics of the airport...and captured the new one being built if possible!
I would have loved to but I don't have time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.