Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,347 members, 7,819,232 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (451) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1784722 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 25, 2015
66 Years On: TUS commemorates massacre of Enugu coal miners
November 25, 2015

•Laments abandoned coal industry

By Francis Igata

ENUGU — THE Joint Public Service Negotiating Council, JPSNC, Enugu State council has commemorated with nostalgia, the massacre of coal miners who were demonstrating for better working conditions in Enugu about 66 years ago on November 18,1949.

The coal miners were massacred at Iva-valley by the colonial masters, marking the first of its kind in the country then. The demonstrators including markets women, who were pushing for better working conditions under the British colonialists when hundreds of them were killed in cold blood by armed security men acting on the orders of the colonial masters.

The day, marked annually was to remember the sacrifices of past labour leaders and other nationalists who sacrificed their lives to get independence for the country. It also helps to remind present labour leaders on the need to continue to agitate for improved welfare and conditions of service for workers in the state.

Chairman of the JPSNC, Igbokwe Chukwuma Igbokwe and Secretary, Theo Obasiani paid glowing tributes to the martyrs who paid the supreme price for demanding for living wage to ameliorate their economic hardship under slave labour in the mines.

According to the labour leaders, “the council calls on trade unions to close ranks and to pursue the interest of workers with vigour without compromise and to emulate the heroes of the struggle. They must also, defend Nigeria’s democracy with all their might as there is no alternative to democracy.

“The council noted that the conditions that gave rise to the agitation of coal miners 66 years ago have not abated as man’s inhumanity to man, injustice and exploitation are still in practice and slave wages have not been abolished even with the coal industry abandoned.

“Council calls for revitalization of the coal industry and opening of the mines to generate income and employment to the people of Enugu State.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/66-years-on-tus-commemorates-massacre-of-enugu-coal-miners/

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by pazienza(m): 11:17pm On Nov 25, 2015
basilo101:

Its not that bad though, considering we had none before

So what? We keep being satisfied with crumbs we get from Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 11:53pm On Nov 25, 2015
I think it's a bit naive at this point blaming other peoples for not having a sea port or even other projects. There's nothing stopping all the south east governors coming together a port somewhere. Look at the Kurds even under war and separated into multiple countries who are also hostile to them thy've managed to be semi-autonomous and they govern their region how they want. They even have an army.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 11:54pm On Nov 25, 2015
B69U:
What design can we expect here

The third one looks like a warehouse, so I'm hoping it's the second picture, but I don't have my hopes up.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by B69U: 12:17am On Nov 26, 2015
ezeagu:

The third one looks like a warehouse, so I'm hoping it's the second picture, but I don't have my hopes up.

You don't know classic architecture.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 12:22am On Nov 26, 2015
B69U:

You don't know classic architecture.

What?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:28am On Nov 26, 2015
Would seasonal (Christmas, July/August) direct flights from Enugu to Europe or America be feasible?

I know Medview airlines has been approved for the Enugu-Singapore route.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 12:50am On Nov 26, 2015
CFCfan:
Would seasonal (Christmas, July/August) direct flights from Enugu to Europe or America be feasible?

I know Medview airlines has been approved for the Enugu-Singapore route.

it will be hard for them to get direct seasonal flight from USA to Enugu.Especially with the type of tribalists now running nigeria.

In my last trip to Nigeria, i put Enugu as my final destination. I decided not to go through Addis Ababa, so i used Lufthansa. It flew from Atlanta to frankfurt, then to Abuja and then they transferred me into local Arik flight from Abuja to Enugu. All for $1,500 dollars round trip!
it was a great deal for me because my family picked me up at Enugu Intl. airport and we were in the village within 2 hours! (I hate using local Nigeria based airline flights, but i prayed hard for that Arik section of my trip from Abuja to Enugu )

So,one can definitely put "Enugu" as your final destination, then choose the itinerary which best suits you. Of course, you will see the Ethiopian option which routes via Addis Ababa to Enugu as one of your cheapest options.I'm sure travelling from Europe will be about the same options.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:57am On Nov 26, 2015
ChimaAdeoye:

it will be hard for them to get direct seasonal flight from USA to Enugu.Especially with the type of tribalists now running nigeria.

In my last trip to Nigeria, i put Enugu as my final destination. I decided not to go through Addis Ababa, so i used Lufthansa. It flew from Atlanta to frankfurt, then to Abuja and then they transferred me into local Arik flight from Abuja to Enugu. All for $1,500 dollars round trip!
it was a great deal for me because my family picked me up at Enugu Intl. airport and we were in the village within 2 hours!

So,one can definitely put "Enugu" as your final destination, then choose the itinerary which best suits you. Of course, you will see the Ethiopian option which routes via Addis Ababa to Enugu as one of your cheapest options.I'm sure travelling from Europe will be about the same.
Wow!! You got a great deal indeed, especially for a round-trip itinerary with multiple stops.

I believe with political pressure from SE govs, members of the NASS, and even Amaechi, the proposal could become a reality. After all, a sizeable number of diasporan Nigerians hail from the SE, so seasonal flights shouldn't be too costly to any Nigerian/foreign airline.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 1:04am On Nov 26, 2015
I noticed the different groups in Nigeria don't have a rallying point like in the pre-70s, generally there's no kind of collective regional push towards everything, just a handful of people fighting over 20 years old states that do nothing but hinder regional progress and unity. Yes, I blame states, I really hate states. I think they were created because of Biafra, but overall they're just a waste of time and resources.

I mean, I've used the example of the Kurds, but I'll use them again and say if they had an option of using their airport in Kirkuk for 1500 dollars or patronise Basra (well, before) or Istanbul for 500 dollars, most of them would use Kirkuk.

All this struggle for sea ports and airports doesn't change the fact that a bulk of the people who will use this live in Abuja and Lagos. There's not patriotism in any sense, whether ethnio-national, or for the pan-African idea of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 1:18am On Nov 26, 2015
[size=14pt]Port Harcourt-Enugu rated country's worst road[/size]

Abuja - The All Progressives Congress in Rivers State has appealed to the Minister of Works, Power and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, to address the housing problems and the poor state of some roads.

The party mentioned the Port Harcourt-Enugu Express Road, described a s a death trap, among problemsthe new minister must urgently address.

“Federal roads across the country are now death traps sending Nigerians to their early graves,” said Rivers APC Chairman, Davies Ibiamu Ikanya.

“Perhaps the worst of these roads is the Port Harcourt/Enugu Expressway, which was deliberately allowed to decay by the immediate past Federal Government under the watch of Dr Goodluck Jonathan just to punish the people of Rivers State for stoutly opposing his third term bid.”

Also read: Economic activities resume in Port Harcourt after Biafra protest

Ikanya said the road had become “a disgrace” to Nigeria.

He said his party noted that while the importance of power in creating a strong economy and reducing the worrisome unemployment and crime rates in the country could not be over-emphasised and the crisis in the housing also deserved attention.

“A greater emergency exists in the area of roads,” Ikanya emphasised.

Ikanya said while Fashola had been given “an assignment which no one should envy”, he was equal to the task because he thrived more in difficult circumstances.

He recommended that Fashola drove on some local roads to get a feel of their discomfort.

“Our Dear Minister, if you are to better understand the death traps bequeathed to Nigerians as federal roads by the PDP through Dr Jonathan’s administration, you have to henceforth ban yourself from flying any aircraft except on emergencies.

“This is necessary if you are to better appreciate the enormous task in your hands and be sufficiently moved to act fast to save Nigerians from the carnage that takes place on most of the federal roads on a daily basis,” said Ikanya.

http://www.news24.com.ng/National/News/port-harcourt-enugu-rated-countrys-worst-road-20151125

Wow, this is a surprise...

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 1:20am On Nov 26, 2015
This thread has been missing pictures for a while now, I'll try and find some recent ones.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 1:24am On Nov 26, 2015
This is the El Anatsui Studio I was writing about, it's in Nsukka I believe.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 1:26am On Nov 26, 2015
El Anatsui Studio

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 1:28am On Nov 26, 2015
Enugu 2012 by Juju Films

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 1:31am On Nov 26, 2015
Rural Enugu (Enugu South) by Benoît Laignelot

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 1:43am On Nov 26, 2015

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 3:16pm On Nov 26, 2015
Did someone already post this?

[size=14pt]Enugu hosts world’s biggest poster[/size]

The Nigerian Breweries Plc yesterday unveiled the biggest promotional poster in the world in Enugu, capital of Enugu State, South East Nigeria, to kick-off the firm’s 2015 National Consumer Promotion.

The poster, according to certified surveyors, measures 5, 367 square metres. It is bigger than the Mumbai, India, poster measuring about 4, 700 squares unveiled last year premiering the costliest Bollywood Movie and which was the biggest poster in the world before now.

Enugu State Governor, Chief Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, represented by the Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Barrister Sam Nwobodo, unveiled the poster. He described the event as “historic and momentous,” as it adds to the long list of landmarks recorded by the capital of the former Eastern Region.

Ugwuanyi recalled that only recently, the Rockyfeller Foundation accorded Enugu the status of one of the Resilient Cities of the world.

The governor attributed the landmarks achieved by Enugu state to commitment by government to providing security and infrastructure, as well as being hospitable.

He charge Nigerian Breweries to do more on its social responsibility front by embarking on massive education of consumers on “responsible drinking,” adding that the state government would equally evolve programmes on consumer enlightenment.

Managing Director of NB Plc, Nicolaas Vervelde, said Enugu was chosen for the event because of its cordial ties with the company since the building of its brewery in Aba in 1957. At present, Vervelde said four of the companies 11 breweries were located in the South East, with Enugu housing its biggest plant.

He described the promotion dedicated to the Gulder brand as the “biggest consumer promotion” in which four million prizes would be won, adding that it was one of the ways Nigerian Breweries was demonstrating its continuous commitment to winning Nigerians to the company’s brands.

Sales Director of NB Plc, Hubert Eze, assured that the company would always strive to improve its numerous brands for ul4imate consumer satisfaction.

Highlights of the event include a Gulder Chase with Sir Chuka Nnabuife, Editor-In-Chief and Managing Director of National Light newspapers, carting home the star prize of a brand Hyundai car.

Source News Express

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=14436&title=Enugu-hosts-world%E2%80%99s-biggest-poster

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 3:18pm On Nov 26, 2015
[size=18pt]Uwani[/size]

[size=18pt]Liberty Estate[/size]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 3:20pm On Nov 26, 2015
More GRA

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2015
Various photos

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 3:32pm On Nov 26, 2015
Various

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:05pm On Nov 26, 2015
Thanks but the 2nd pix is not GRA . It's Robans store 2nd mall located at uwani.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 4:07pm On Nov 26, 2015
This one:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 4:35pm On Nov 26, 2015
ezeagu:
Various photos

Bros,
Why are you doing this to this thread?
I thought you were a loyal Enugu son, and you are trying to kill our people's interest here.They always rush here when the thread is updated because it is always a recent development.

We don't re-cycle old pictures here. if you are not in Enugu, plead with Oga Spyder and others on the ground to get you recent pictures.
Some of the pictures are reposting are almost 4 years old. Sadly, they were all pulled from the earlier pages of this same thread
https://www.nairaland.com/979128/enugu-pride-east/9

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 4:41pm On Nov 26, 2015
cjrane:

Bros,
I thought you were a loyal Enugu son, and you are trying to kill our people's interest here.They always rush here when the thread is updated because it is always a recent development.

We don't re-cycle old pictures here. if you are not in Enugu, plead with Oga Spyder and others on the ground to get you recent pictures. Some of your pictures are almost 4 years old. Sadly, they are all pulled from the earlier pages of this thread

What's wrong with the pictures? They're from 2014 and 2015.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Mishelly: 6:19pm On Nov 26, 2015
cjrane:

Bros,

We don't re-cycle old pictures here. if you are not in Enugu, plead with Oga Spyder and others on the ground to get you recent pictures.
Some of the pictures are reposting are almost 4 years old. Sadly, they were all pulled from the earlier pages of this same thread

Your right mr. Cj but i think hes also trying to revive this thread. Its not moving like it use to. It was like a thug of war for it to get to this page number. We shouldnt let this thread die. I will try to get some pics i saw online and social media uploaded here if i can.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Mishelly: 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2015
cjrane:

Bros,

And it appears that mr. Spyder has been busy himself because he rarely post on the thread.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 7:39pm On Nov 26, 2015
Enugu landscape by pawellwitt

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 7:45pm On Nov 26, 2015
by amazingdjmaxip

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 7:47pm On Nov 26, 2015
Hills by pawellwitt

Mishelly:

Your right mr. Cj but i think hes also trying to revive this thread. Its not moving like it use to. It was like a thug of war for it to get to this page number. We shouldnt let this thread die. I will try to get some pics i saw online and social media uploaded here if i can.

Thanks for not jumping down my neck. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 7:57pm On Nov 26, 2015
Mishelly:

Lets not focus on number of pages, but quality of content.
i can easily add 20 pages of nonsense today now by starting an e-fight. Just by calling someone some vulgar names or even starting an arguement between Chime supporters and ugwuanyi's supporters just to get nonsense into the thread and rapidly move the pages with e-fights. Such 20 pages of nonsense cannot be compared to one sensible post.
This thread had largely avoided such ugly senseless e-fight exchange and i am happy about that.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.