Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (565) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1782634 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 28, 2018
Ofuzo:

My brother, I tell you this, we need to correct a whole host of things we are doing wrong in nigeria. I'm not joking whenever I say this, and I've said it a lot of times; we have practically done everything the wrong way for a long time in nigeria. In the year 2018, with the world civilisation having passed major milestones, like the stone age, the locomotive age and currently the internet age, we need to start correcting some of these problems RIGHT NOW. We should no longer postpone them.

I have totally and completely diagnosed the problem. The number one reason we have the problems is because we really don't know any better. The one single thing that have allowed me to do that, is the fact that I've lived in a developed country the last thirty six years. I was away for ten years before I came back to nigeria. Right from the airport before you step into the muggy hot polluted ikeja air, I was SHOCKED to my bones. It hits you like a ton of bricks. You immediately know that you just arrived at a third world country. I even began to wonder if the country was the same place I left ten years earlier. So, I've not only diagnosed the problems, I also have solutions.

A lot of nigerians think that having lived in a developed country allows people to know how things are done there or have solutions that will enable us have the kinds of things obtainable in developed countries. WRONG. You can live in a developed country for ten years and sleep walk your way around, the entire time. On a recent visit to nigeria, I was having a chat with an old friend who use to live in the US, and this guy didn't know anything about water and waste treatment plants. He never bothered to find out his entire time there, what happens to his pee and poo whenever he flushed it down the toilet. He never observed the fact that they don't build houses here with block and cement. THERE ARE NO PLASTERING OF HOUSES HERE. Most buildings here are built with brick, granite and tiles that can last for two hundred years without a drop of paint. The interior demarcations were done with DRYWALL not block and cement, hence, there are no CEMENT BILLIONAIRES here.

I can go on and on. Having seen the CONSPIRACY of silence where people who ought to say something have remained mute which have allowed this MEDIOCRITY to take ROOT, I shall not remain silent. I will get a crash course on how to meander my way around the net, of which I'm a novice right now. When I do, I'm gonna start posting videos of how things ought to be.

Nwanne ina afu uzo.

The sad truth is that we have a large populace of uninformed people being governed by dumb and corrupt individuals. Just take a look at some simple minded persons attacking you, then you ll realise we have long way to go.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 28, 2018
These are the few things our state government must do for Enugu before we start applauding them. Constructing roads with open gutter/drainage and no side walk must stop. Modern public transport system. Gariki, newmarket and other 'motor parks' should be upgraded. IVM long buses and mini buses should be used for public transport. Upgrading our current central business district or mapping out a new one is a must. Every building must have a portable water system connected to a central water station. "Wells" should be discouraged, you dont find such in developed countries. Landscaping is must. An open central greenish park; something like Okpara Square but the surface ll be natural grass. Decent public primary and secondary school in every local government Well equipped hospital in every senatorial zone with Parklane as the central site. Parklane has to be upgraded with staff and modern healthcare protocol. Modern markets. Ogbete, Gariki and New market are just an eyesore. Anything less is a waste of time.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cooly100: 8:42pm On May 28, 2018
Ofuzo:

There are actually some u tube Kigali videos that will blow your mind, a poor country with no MINERAL RESOURCES.

I am literally shocked why these leaders we call governors who travel abroad and can't replicate the beauty they see abroad at home...but drive down poor roads and red earth dry environment in their air conditioner cars...Sometimes I feel they made me the infrastructure and Environment commissioner...not even a governor to show what I can do. Kigali is awesome.

Take this road for example...It can be turned around pretty good..especially the median.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 9:48pm On May 28, 2018
Cooly100:

I am literally shocked why these leaders we call governors who travel abroad and can't replicate the beauty they see abroad at home...but drive down poor roads and red earth dry environment in their air conditioner cars...Sometimes I feel they made me the infrastructure and Environment commissioner...not even a governor to show what I can do. Kigali is awesome.

Take this road for example...It can be turned around pretty good..especially the median.

Enugu is even one of the best cities in Nigeria. But being the best city in Nigeria is like saying you are the best behaved in hell. Enugu should compare and aspire to levels of other African cities outside Nigeria and not cities within Nigeria EXCEPT Abuja.

Enugu is so close to achieving the Kigali transformation if it only took it's environment seriously. It will only take a couple of youths mobilized with shovels and palm /other tree species to go all over the city and plant on the road medians at intervals of 5 meters apart.

The question is if the rulers of Nigeria think a good environment is important at all?

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ofuzo: 11:46pm On May 28, 2018
davear:

Nwanne ina afu uzo.

The sad truth is that we have a large populace of uninformed people being governed by dumb and corrupt individuals. Just take a look at some simple minded persons attacking you, then you ll realise we have long way to go.

I have been reading people's comments since this thread was established, and as far as I know, the problem has been this useless anambra village BOYI. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of his village. If I do, I'll substitute anambra BOYI with the name of his village BOYI. Some people are saying that he's not igbo but I don't think so. Obviously, he has mental and psychological issues the way he has insulted everybody. I really don't bother responding to his rants except on unsual occasions. Criticising obiano or onitsha doesn't mean that you hate anambra people. Everybody should be able to constructively criticize without being insulted. We need help with the way governance is done in igboland. We should stop postponing to do things the right way, like building gutters and calling it drainage. We should start right NOW.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by BeijinDossier: 11:51pm On May 28, 2018
Imo state is in a total mess but you have not finished discussing about your useless state.

Bad roads all over Imo state

IMSUTH is a poultry farm

IMSU is a glorified secondary school

Rochas pays half salaries

Imo state is heavily indebted with nothing to show. Pay more attention on your village state called Imo. That is the reason your state produce only buffoons as governors.

These are the things that should be bothering you and not a far progressive Anambra.

[s]
Ofuzo:

I have been reading people's comments since this thread was established, and as far as I know, the problem has been this useless anambra village BOYI. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of his village. If I do, I'll substitute anambra BOYI with the name of his village BOYI. Some people are saying that he's not igbo but I don't think so. Obviously, he has mental and psychological issues the way he has insulted everybody. I really don't bother responding to his rants except on unsual occasions. Criticising obiano or onitsha doesn't mean that you hate anambra people. Everybody should be able to constructively criticize without being insulted. We need help with the way governance is done in igboland. We should stop postponing to do things the right way, like building gutters and calling it drainage. We should start right NOW.
[/s]
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 11:52pm On May 28, 2018
Ofuzo:

I am begging you to ignore that tout.

Even in Anambra thread he pollutes it with looking for who to engage in posting foul pictures. He is neither Igbo nor from Anambra. I often think it is the same individual that call himself Abagworo in the Imo thread running around to make gullible people join them in their fake war between Imo vs. Anambra or Enugu vs. Anambra. I beg you to just ignore him completely! He is looking for negative attention and feel gratified once you respond to him.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by BeijinDossier: 11:56pm On May 28, 2018
Chijioke, your father is tout. Thunder fire you there.

NAIRALAND will laugh for 2 weeks the day they shall see the short devil behind this cjrane account. I still dey respect you old man small but one day na one day

[s]
Cjrane2:

I am begging you to ignore that tout.

Even in Anambra thread he pollutes it with looking for who to engage in posting foul pictures. He is neither Igbo nor from Anambra. I often think it is the same individual that call himself Abagworo in the Imo thread running around to make gullible people join them in their fake war between Imo vs. Anambra or Enugu vs. Anambra. I beg you to just ignore him completely! He is looking for negative attention and feel gratified once you respond to him.
[/s]
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ofuzo: 12:04am On May 29, 2018
Cjrane2:

Enugu is even one of the best cities in Nigeria. But being the best city in Nigeria is like saying you are the best behaved in hell. Enugu should compare and aspire to levels of other African cities outside Nigeria and not cities within Nigeria EXCEPT Abuja.

Enugu is so close to achieving the Kigali transformation if it only took it's environment seriously. It will only take a couple of youths mobilized with shovels and palm /other tree species to go all over the city and plant on the road medians at intervals of 5 meters apart.

The question is if the rulers of Nigeria think a good environment is important at all?

My brother, I was at Enugu for a few days three years ago. I even went to ShopRite and also saw the new enugu Secretariat. The Secretariat looked better in picture than in real life and the number one cause of that is the shoddiness of the surrounding environment. The comparison with Kigali is not right in that way. Kigali does not have STREET TRADING, STREET HAWKING, TRADING ON PEDESTRIAN SIDEWALKS, simply trading everywhere like it is in igbo cities. Some of the onitsha style three and four deckings that was replicated in enugu and other igbo cities is an eyesore. If you look closely at the Kigali pictures this guy was kind enough to post, you'd notice that there are no BROWN ANYWHERE. It's the same in western countries. You will never ever see an exposed ground anywhere in the US, a country the size of west africa. The reason is because they do 100% landscaping. The first picture is enugu while the rest is Kigali. It's obvious looking at the pictures, that the enugu one looks very disorganized.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by BeijinDossier: 12:19am On May 29, 2018
This is the type of residential outlook of Owerri. Please compare it to those 3-4 decks. From the pictures, Owerri is littered with slum and shanties. Total eyesore.

Ofuzo:

My brother, I was at Enugu for a few days three years ago. I even went to ShopRite and also saw the new enugu Secretariat. The Secretariat looked better in picture than in real life and the number one cause of that is the shoddiness of the surrounding environment. The comparison with Kigali is not right in that way. Kigali does not have STREET TRADING, STREET HAWKING, TRADING ON PEDESTRIAN SIDEWALKS, simply trading everywhere like it is in igbo cities. Some of the onitsha style three and four deckings that was replicated in enugu and other igbo cities is an eyesore. If you look closely at the Kigali pictures this guy was kind enough to post, you'd notice that there are no BROWN ANYWHERE. It's the same in western countries. You will never ever see an exposed ground anywhere in the US, a country the size of west africa. The reason is because they do 100% landscaping. The first picture is enugu while the rest is Kigali. It's obvious looking at the pictures, that the enugu one looks very disorganized.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OyiboUgbo04: 8:52am On May 29, 2018

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:45am On May 29, 2018
This is Trans Ekulu, road passing in the front of the CBN quarters, notice how lack of good aesthetic practice has made these areas look ordinary, but I still think this city is holding its value, even when the country is not planning ahead.

Another problem I see here is street trading, or more succinctly put, open trading, where people build little shops and restaurants along the road, sometimes in front of their houses. How can this problem be solved?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:53am On May 29, 2018
Its happening everywhere, this is the Damija road, leading to phase 6 of Trans Ekulu. Trading in every corner.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:22am On May 29, 2018
This is still Trans Ekulu Enugu, back of the CBN quarters and the streets here may have open gutters as usual, but still a nice environment.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 11:47am On May 29, 2018
spyder880:
This is still Trans Ekulu Enugu, back of the CBN quarters and the streets here may have open gutters as usual, but still a nice environment.

Street trading is a problem in SE cities.

I guess the solution isn't to eradicate street trading completely. But make sure they occurs in approved building structures and no make shift umbrellas or illegal shacks are allowed on the streets.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cooly100: 12:03pm On May 29, 2018
Cjrane2:

Why can't the governors start gradually by including landscaping in their laws? I know that all internal city roads are not tarred, but they can start from the major roads in the city. All the buildings near the roads must have green areas or concrete slabs...to reduce the red earth menace. Then the environment agencies should focus on the meridian, at first, planting trees that are dry weather friendly. Kigali seems to be in a hotter environment than Enugu and other eastern states( I might be wrong). I am surprised that trees and grasses can do well there.

Leaders of Nigeria think the environment is important. If in doubt visit the government house areas of the states and you get what I mean. They are just lazy and selfish.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 2:22pm On May 29, 2018
This, is the top of the location called the Coal city gardens, or more popularly know as the "zoo estates"

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 29, 2018
Cjrane2:

I guess the solution isn't to eradicate street trading completely. But make sure they occurs in approved building structures and no make shift umbrellas or illegal shacks are allowed on the streets.

Street trading occurs in high traffic areas. The solution is real enforcement to get them out followed by renewal of commercial streets. Look at the difference between Ogbete and Polo Park. One ancient market bursting at its seams next to overflowing bus parks. Now contrast with polo park. Well designed with enclosed wall and ample parking space. Hawkers within the mall are regulated and assigned to designated areas.

The retail industry in Nigeria needs a revolution. Markets need to be replaced by supermarkets, strip malls and shopping malls. Enugu is not supposed to have one massive Ogbete selling everything but hundreds of grocery retail outlets spread throughout the city many within walkable distance.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InvertedHammer: 1:06am On May 30, 2018
Ofuzo:

/
Nothing that you are saying has not been said before. But when you realize that you might as well be talking to a wall, you calm down to keep your sanity intact. If your goal here is to make sense of things happening in Nigeria, then you have failed before you started. Take it as you see it or show by example. The people in charge do fly to UK, US and some exotic places. They know how things should be done but choose not to do it. A lot of people complained many times and finally gave up.

/
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 1:35am On May 30, 2018
InvertedHammer:

/
Nothing that you are saying has not been said before. But when you realize that you might as well be talking to a wall, you calm down to keep your sanity intact. If your goal here is to make sense of things happening in Nigeria, then you have failed before you started. Take it as you see it or show by example. The people in charge do fly to UK, US and some exotic places. They know how things should be done but choose not to do it. A lot of people complained many times and finally gave up.

/

If they replicate what they see abroad, then how much would be left in the budget for them, their lackeys and hangers-on to chop and also use to act the part of 'your excellency'? After all, it's the efizzy that goes with the office that's the main reason most of these visionless and inept individuals fight-tooth-and-nail to become governor! shocked

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by NonsoWow: 2:15am On May 30, 2018
Cjrane2:

Continue deceiving yourself, don't tell yourself the truth. Street trading/hawking is a wawa/nsukka and abakaliki problem. The perpetrators are easily identifiable with their wawa tribal marks and their black, ugly abakaliki faces. They are all over anambra especially our urban centres and they must surely be eradicated by force if their states of origin fail to stem the tide of their inflow into anambra. Currently, the anambra state government is funding the building of a special detention centre at a location I won't disclose yet that will hold arrested wawa and abakaliki street hawkers till they are deported.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by bugidon(m): 3:47pm On May 30, 2018
Aru adikwa gi this boy?
NonsoWow:
Continue deceiving yourself, don't tell yourself the truth. Street trading/hawking is a wawa/nsukka and abakaliki problem. The perpetrators are easily identifiable with their wawa tribal marks and their black, ugly abakaliki faces. They are all over anambra especially our urban centres and they must surely be eradicated by force if their states of origin fail to stem the tide of their inflow into anambra. Currently, the anambra state government is funding the building of a special detention centre at a location I won't disclose yet that will hold arrested wawa and abakaliki street hawkers till they are deported.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by horsepower101: 3:48pm On May 30, 2018
bugidon:
Aru adikwa gi this boy?

He is not Igbo. Please ignore him.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by bugidon(m): 3:53pm On May 30, 2018
I for say o. The boy bu onye awusa grin
horsepower101:

He is not Igbo. Please ignore him.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by horsepower101: 3:57pm On May 30, 2018
bugidon:
I for say o. The boy bu onye awusa grin

Actually he is Yoruba.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by bugidon(m): 4:13pm On May 30, 2018
Okay, now I understand afonja boy
horsepower101:

Actually he is Yoruba.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:39pm On May 30, 2018
The GRA, Enugu. (Old GRA)

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 5:01pm On May 30, 2018
Cooly100:

Attitude of the people matter a lot in achieving the Kigali success. People in Nigeria believe cleanliness is not for the poor and the poor can live and trade in very dirty environment full of shanties and makeshift apartments in the heart of a city. Any Governor or official that attempts to clean the environment becomes enemy of the poor and has his political influence threatened.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rdokoye: 5:32pm On May 30, 2018
Abagworo:

Attitude of the people matter a lot in achieving the Kigali success. People in Nigeria believe cleanliness is not for the poor and the poor can live and trade in very dirty environment full of shanties and makeshift apartments in the heart of a city. Any Governor or official that attempts to clean the environment becomes enemy of the poor and has his political influence threatened.

The filth is simply government failure, failure to enforce cleanliness, to provide bins, to sweep the roads, to maintain infrastructure. If the government was doing these things, the environment would look better, irrespective of the peoples mentality.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 30, 2018
NonsoWow:

I have relations who trade on the street. They are not wawa or Abakaliki but from Anambra. They do it because it's a shortcut to not having to pay for a shop in a busy location and not having to do any marketing whatsoever. They subtract from the economy because of their shortcut. Think about how much they steal away from real estate development, from electricity infrastructure, from printing signs, billboards and flyers.

It's the informal mentality is why Nigeria is a special case of backwardness. The rest of the world is actively creating attractive, sophisticated, new shopping spaces and experiences, the Nigerian is selling like an ape out of the wheelbarrow or hastily constructed wooden table or shack.

We may as well go back to wearing no shoes and a loincloth.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by NonsoWow: 9:26pm On May 30, 2018
mktinsight:

I have relations who trade on the street. They are not wawa or Abakaliki but from Anambra. They do it because it's a shortcut to not having to pay for a shop in a busy location and not having to do any marketing whatsoever. They subtract from the economy because of their shortcut. Think about how much they steal away from real estate development, from electricity infrastructure, from printing signs, billboards and flyers.

It's the informal mentality is why Nigeria is a special case of backwardness. The rest of the world is actively creating attractive, sophisticated, new shopping spaces and experiences, the Nigerian is selling like an ape out of the wheelbarrow or hastily constructed wooden table or shack.

We may as well go back to wearing no shoes and a loincloth.
Continue making fool of yourself. I am talking of street hawking not illegal markets or illegal attachments to buildings. 100% of street hawkers in Anambra are wawa and abakaliki people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.