Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,164 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (889090 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (432) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 1:16am On Aug 10, 2014
pobeaf: 1. Pls how many litres of engin oil does accord 2003 i4 Engine need during oil change/ servicing compared to v6 engine. 2. Can accord 2003 use alloy rim 16, if yes can d car come with rim 16 direct from US. pls educate me

1. A 2003 Honda Accord, 4-cylinder engine will need about 4.4 litres of engine oil on the average. It may be more if the engine was hot at the time the oil is drained (which makes the engine oil to be drained thinner).
Therefore, after filling with 4.4 litres, you must check your engine oil level before starting your car the next morning. If the oil is short of the full mark on the dipstick, top off appropriately.

2. Although, Honda recommends 15" rims for the 2003 Accord, the car can be fitted with 16" wheels. This may affect the car's centre of gravity and consequently balance at top speed. Except a pre-existing American owner changes to 16" wheels, the factory default wheel size for 2003 Accord is 15". As such, it is quite unlikely you will get a 2003 Accord, shipped in with 16" wheels on it.

Hope my response was helpful.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Marpol: 6:06am On Aug 10, 2014
My 2003 Honda Accord V6 automatic sometimes have issues getting the gear out of parking position. Most times after depressing the brake repeatedly, it will release. If it doesn't I have to use the shift lock to get it into the drive position.

The transmission works well. Just getting it out of park is the headache. Any suggestions please.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 6:53am On Aug 10, 2014
Marpol: My 2003 Honda Accord V6 automatic sometimes have issues getting the gear out of parking position. Most times after depressing the brake repeatedly, it will release. If it doesn't I have to use the shift lock to get it into the drive position.

The transmission works well. Just getting it out of park is the headache. Any suggestions please.

Does the car jerk as you eventually shift from 'Park' gear? smiley
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by shegzee43: 9:29am On Aug 10, 2014
steffans:

it happened to me wen i was usin a honda civic 2001 model..sorry to say ur engine is getting weak...u need a new one....is it shortening ur engine oilcheck and let me knw!

You got it! my Honda bulldog has similar issue and that's what I was told. but the question is, how do I go about buying another engine?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Marpol: 12:33pm On Aug 10, 2014
nas00:

Does the car jerk as you eventually shift from 'Park' gear? smiley

No jerking. The problem is getting it out of park. Once I use the shift lock it moves seamlessly and the gear selection is good too.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
Marpol:

No jerking. The problem is getting it out of park. Once I use the shift lock it moves seamlessly and the gear selection is good too.

There's a solenoid park release switch in the lever system that is either stuck or weak that's y its getting stuck in park, have it replaced or serviced and problem is solved. Please don't override the system permanantly so you don not accidently shift to reverse while in motion.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Marpol: 9:31pm On Aug 10, 2014
@gazzuzz thanks bro. I was kinda confused. I had to buy dw1 atf from luvinhubby and serviced the transmission. It is shifting seamlessly. The problem of the stuck shift is not constant though. It comes intermittently.

Will ask luvinhubby if he has the solenoid.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 1:28am On Aug 11, 2014
Good morning friends.

Something not funny is happening to my '03 Accord ignition.

It once happened in the past that the car refused to start when I turned the key. Instead, it made some 'sparking' sound around the steering column and the lights on the dashboard would immediately fade out, then spark would stop.

I thought my battery was getting flat, and I replaced it with a brand new one. To my surprise, the same thing happened with the new battery.

I called an electrician to see, who told me the problem is in my car ignition. He removed a component attached to the end of the keyhole and took it for repair. After this, car started without problems for some weeks... BUT that shyt happened again yesterday.

Please, does anyone in the house know what the exact problem is and how it may be permanently fixed?

Thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:28am On Aug 11, 2014
nas00: Good morning friends.

It once happened in the past that the car refused to start when I turned the key. Instead, it made some 'sparking' sound around the steering column and the lights on the dashboard would immediately fade out, then spark would stop.

I thought my battery was getting flat, and I replaced it with a brand new one. To my surprise, the same thing happened with the new battery.

I called an electrician to see, who told me the problem is in my car ignition. He removed a component attached to the end of the keyhole and took it for repair. After this, car started without problems for some weeks... BUT that shyt happened again yesterday.

Please, does anyone in the house know what the exact problem is and how it may be permanently fixed?

Thanks.

This time don't repair, replace the faulty part, with a new one or tokumbor one.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 12:37pm On Aug 11, 2014
nas00:

1. A 2003 Honda Accord, 4-cylinder engine will need about 4.4 litres of engine oil on the average. It may be more if the engine was hot at the time the oil is drained (which makes the engine oil to be drained thinner).
Therefore, after filling with 4.4 litres, you must check your engine oil level before starting your car the next morning. If the oil is short of the full mark on the dipstick, top off appropriately.

2. Although, Honda recommends 15" rims for the 2003 Accord, the car can be fitted with 16" wheels. This may affect the car's centre of gravity and consequently balance at top speed. Except a pre-existing American owner changes to 16" wheels, the factory default wheel size for 2003 Accord is 15". As such, it is quite unlikely you will get a 2003 Accord, shipped in with 16" wheels on it.

Hope my response was helpful.

Cheers!

Point of correction;

1. 4 cylinder requires 4.2 litres of engine oil if you also change the filter but less if you dont. The V6 takes 4.3 litres with filter or less without filter change. Filter takes about 0.2-0.3litres.

2. The 2003 honda accord comes from factory with both 15" and 16" wheels (rims) depending on the trim. DX and LX both have 15" steel wheel while EX comes from factory with 16" alloy wheel.

Please note that the overall circumference of the wheel and tire set up is almost equal. This is because 15" wheels are matched to a 65 profile tire while the 16" is matched with a 60 profile tire bringing both to almost the same circumference. You could install 17" or 18" wheels but reduce profile to 55 or 50 respectively, which gives you almost the same circumference.

DX has 195/65R15 tire
LX has 205/65R15 tire
EX has 205/60R16 tire

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 12:50pm On Aug 11, 2014
nas00: Good morning friends.

Thanks.

I have been experiencing the same thing but not frequent with my 2003 accord. I almost purchased a new battery but performed a battery test which i concluded that my battery was not defective.

I also experienced another problem. When kicking the kick starter slows down and stops. The next kick, it will just click but after 2-3 attempts, it will start normal like there was no problem. This one happens occassionally too. I was advised to change kick starter which i have not done yet.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 12:37am On Aug 12, 2014
@Gazzuzz and Adanny01:

Thanks so much for your comments and correction. Your points are well taken and noted.

I ran a check on the car early yesterday and found out that my alternator was no longer working. I knew this because my car started normally when I replaced the battery with a friend's. However, while my friend's engine kept running when I removed his battery (then placed my flat battery in his car to charge), MY OWN ENGINE STOPPED immediately I removed the battery terminal after starting it.

@luvinghubby: Please, how much will I get an OEM alternator at oyingbo? .. Car is 2003 Accord, L4. Kindly reply asap. Thanks!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 9:40am On Aug 12, 2014
nas00: @Gazzuzz and Adanny01:

Thanks so much for your comments and correction. Your points are well taken and noted.

I ran a check on the car early yesterday and found out that my alternator was no longer working. I knew this because my car started normally when I replaced the battery with a friend's. However, while my friend's engine kept running when I removed his battery (then placed my flat battery in his car to charge), MY OWN ENGINE STOPPED immediately I removed the battery terminal after starting it.

@luvinghubby: Please, how much will I get an OEM alternator at oyingbo? .. Car is 2003 Accord, L4. Kindly reply asap. Thanks!
Budget 15k.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Marpol: 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
@luvinhubby, please how much is solenoid park release switch for 2003 Honda Accord V6?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by bolaji5000(m): 3:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
Hello house, please how do i reset the maintenance notification on my 2000 CRV?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Ikenna351(m): 3:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
nas00: @Gazzuzz and Adanny01:

The bolded above is the easiest way of frying injection ECU. Its a major killer of EFI systems, I mean playing with electrics in that manner. A small spark could easily harm your injection ECU which will gradually detoriate and would later send the ECU to grave the day you least expect. That you didnt notice any abnormal behaviour from the car after doing that doesnt mean harm has not been done. The second harm is all it may need to say farewell to you for good.

A Lion owner called me some days ago. He took his Lion to an auto electrician to revert the wrong radiator fan connection to factory. Unfortunately, the clown didnt disconnect the battery terminals. While at the work, a wire touched where it shouldnt touch and it generated a spark. Guess what? It fried the injection ECU straight ahead. Luckily for him, it spared his BSI, but the engine ECU was gone. I knew how much it cost him to get that car to start and run again.

Few months back, a Lion owner called me as well. What happened? A mechanic disconnected the battery terminals while leaving the key on the ignition switch (probably the ignition was on as well). It simply fried the BSI, no mercy!

My point is, those sparks you see while reconnecting battery terminals while engine is running is not good for any ECU.

The easiest and simplest method of diagnosing, troubleshooting or checking the state of Alternator or Battery is with DMM (Digital Multimeter). You can get a DMM as cheap as N200 (Two hundred naira only) and it will do the work perfectly. Get one, switch on the DMM, turn the knob to DC volts, start the vehicle, place the DMM red lead on battery positive terminal and DMM black lead on negative battery terminal. If you see on the DMM screen 11v, 12.4v or 12.5v, then the Alternator is gone. Also if you see anything between 12.5v - 12.8v, it means the Alternator is on its way out (failing gradually). I dont know about Honda, but for Peugeot, 13v - 14v means the Alternator is still intact.

To check the state of the battery. While engine is off, place the DMM leads as explained above. Anything less than 12.5v means the battery is drained or dying. It could still start the car, but could die soon, unless something is draining the battery.

Please, not that 12.5v also means 12.50v, depending on how the DMM is set up.

Ikenna

6 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 4:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ikenna351:

The bolded above is the easiest way of frying injection ECU. Its a major killer of EFI systems, I mean playing with electrics in that manner. A small spark could easily harm your injection ECU which will gradually detoriate and would later send the ECU to grave the day you least expect. That you didnt notice any abnormal behaviour from the car after doing that doesnt mean harm has not been done. The second harm is all it may need to say farewell to you for good.

A Lion owner called me some days ago. He took his Lion to an auto electrician to revert the wrong radiator fan connection to factory. Unfortunately, the clown didnt disconnect the battery terminals. While at the work, a wire touched where it shouldnt touch and it generated a spark. Guess what? It fried the injection ECU straight ahead. Luckily for him, it spared his BSI, but the engine ECU was gone. I knew how much it cost him to get that car to start and run again.

Few months back, a Lion owner called me as well. What happened? A mechanic disconnected the battery terminals while leaving the key on the ignition switch (probably the ignition was on as well). It simply fried the BSI, no mercy!

My point is, those sparks you see while reconnecting battery terminals while engine is running is not good for any ECU.

The easiest and simplest method of diagnosing, troubleshooting or checking the state of Alternator or Battery is with DMM (Digital Multimeter). You can get a DMM as cheap as N200 (Two hundred naira only) and it will do the work perfectly. Get one, switch on the DMM, turn the knob to DC volts, start the vehicle, place the DMM red lead on battery positive terminal and DMM black lead on negative battery terminal. If you see on the DMM screen 11v, 12.4v or 12.5v, then the Alternator is gone. Also if you see anything between 12.5v - 12.8v, it means the Alternator is on its way out (failing gradually). I dont know about Honda, but for Peugeot, 13v - 14v means the Alternator is still intact.

To check the state of the battery. While engine is off, place the DMM leads as explained above. Anything less than 12.5v means the battery is drained or dying. It could still start the car, but could die soon, unless something is draining the battery.

Ikenna

Thanks so much for this excellent teaching session. I really appreciate your time.

I guess I was lucky not to have fried my friend's ECU (Camry 2008). Never knew cars could be so unforgiving, especially Peugeot!

I'll certainly get myself a digital multimeter and do things right next time.

A million thanks bro!!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 7:20pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ikenna351:

Ikenna

Thats quite true.

That was the test i did on the battery and alternator when i concluded i didnt have a battery problem. I saw the test method online and did it. The website recommended about 14.3v for a normal charging system and i got that exactly that. I cant precisely recall the exact value for the battery when engine is not running but i think it was 14.1v or so.

I do recall that when charging its higher.

I tested the battery at different times to find out if there was a voltage difference but nothing. I tested in the afternoon, night and early in the morning and just when i experienced the starting problem. The battery voltage was the same at all times.

I own an elm bluetooth scanner which reads the ecu voltage too, it also gave same result.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by turok: 7:49pm On Aug 12, 2014
My Honda bulldog is having problem selecting gear. I thought it was the gearbox but the mechanical told me that it is the gearbox sensor.

Have anyone experience such issue before?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 8:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
Marpol: @luvinhubby, please how much is solenoid park release switch for 2003 Honda Accord V6?
2K max. The gear shift itself (complete) is 8k.
Remind me tomorrow, preferably a call, to send my boy with that replacement compressor.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by BossTycoon: 11:07pm On Aug 12, 2014
bashexyz: @luvinhubby I already fixed the vibration and when i wanted to fix the engine coolant sensor. I noticed the thermostat of the car as been removed and the fan is working directly. and not via the sensor. I told my mechanic i wanted to fix the thermostat back and he said it will cause over heating and damage the engine. pls how true is it. cos engine coolant sensor is d only reason my check engine light is on.

I noticed my car is burning fuel more than usual. Used half tank 8.5 gallons on 80 miles and average mile per gallon is 25mile/gallon..

Do u have any radionic u can recommend to u as regards fixing the stereo. scared of giving my car to anyone.

Pls what did u do to get ur vibration fixed.. Because my Honda EOD vibrates as hell. Expecially when I match brake and put it on D.. And if I switch on the AC the vibration gets worst pls I really need help because I've spent a lot on the same issue..I changed all the engine sitting but to no avail
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 8:53am On Aug 13, 2014
BossTycoon:

Pls what did u do to get ur vibration fixed.. Because my Honda EOD vibrates as hell. Expecially when I match brake and put it on D.. And if I switch on the AC the vibration gets worst pls I really need help because I've spent a lot on the same issue..I changed all the engine sitting but to no avail
The vibration when brake is applied is your disc rotors and your brake pads.
The A/C vibration is either your engine mounts, dirty injector nozzles or faulty throttle body sensor.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Joebo(m): 2:13am On Aug 15, 2014
jukeblam: Four bottles of Honda ATF DW-1 for sale!

I purchased a carton (12 bottles) of the DW-1 earlier on in the year, to do a complete transmission flush on my car; after the 2nd fluid change, I realised I didn't need the third. And now, I need to clear out any 'unused items' in my store.

So, if there are any takers, kindly show by a raise of hand! or just pm me.

Price is 12k for the 4 - that's @ 3k each. And, there is a 60% full bottle inside the carton for the lucky buyer wink
Location is Lagos.
Are these still available? If yes please PM your phone number. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by turok: 2:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
Hello,

I am having issues with my Honda accord 1997. I noticed it was doing overheat and I changed my radiator yesterday but I notice the temperature is still rising but not like before. What could be the cause?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 12:39pm On Aug 16, 2014
luvinhubby:
Budget 15k.

@luvinhubby: I must thank you openly for the impressive assistance you rendered by getting me a very neat OEM alternator and shipping it to me, same day, from Lagos.

The alternator works fine.

Respect Sire!!

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 6:38pm On Aug 16, 2014
nas00:

@luvinhubby: I must thank you openly for the impressive assistance you rendered by getting me a very neat OEM alternator and shipping it to me, same day, from Lagos.

The alternator works fine.

Respect Sire!!

A pix woulda turn eyes. Anyways, was it new or used?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Wizcollifa(m): 7:05pm On Aug 16, 2014
I love Honda cars, am thinking of get one but the problem is I love drifting and I drive very rough cos It's fun. which Honda sedan can you guys recommend for me?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 7:38pm On Aug 16, 2014
adanny01:

A pix woulda turn eyes. Anyways, was it new or used?

It was used but very clean and factory grade with honda rating label. Also came with the plug-in cables (Just in case they're needed, I guess).

Copy that! I'll take a pic of the recently installed alternator and upload tomorrow.

Meanwhile, attached is a pic of the former alternator that gave up. This was taken just before I replaced it. (hope u can locate it in the engine compartment) grin grin

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by jukeblam(m): 10:10am On Aug 17, 2014
Joebo: Are these still available? If yes please PM your phone number. Thanks

Yes, still available.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 8:01am On Aug 20, 2014
luvinhubby, i need quote of these parts for 2003 Honda accord and waybill to Akwa Ibom state.

1. Tie rod ends
2. Lower ball joint
3. Upper and lower arm bushings
4. Intake Air filter
The sloop brand is a prefered choice
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nairacountry(m): 4:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
Pls how much & where in abuja can i get Oxygen sensors (attached to bank 1 catalyst converter of baby boy 98 v6). The one I saw at Utako market is Toks.
'The female one'

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (432) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.