Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (894231 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 7:29pm On Sep 12, 2015
luvinhubby:

You did not specify if it is a 4cylinder or V6 engine and if the car us emitting thick smoke?.
But all the same:
-Are you sure the oil properly gauged with a gallon of oil?
-The engine oil seal or camshaft oil seal is properly weak & leaking and needs replacement.
- Oil rings are probably worn out (engine will most like be smoking cool).
-Catalyst filament most likely damaged & may need to be replaced alongside the Oxygen sensors (will need a scan for that).

Advice : Do not sell the car, attend to it's needs properly and enjoy your ride.

If him engine dey burn fuel and e no dey smoke... You and I know the next solo... Oga go ... T**k**o lipsrsealed
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 7:38pm On Sep 12, 2015
kingreign:

If him engine dey burn fuel and e no dey smoke... You and I know the next solo... Oga go ... T**k**o lipsrsealed
Excessive fuel consumption can be caused by a couple things, most likely, the emission system (Catalyst & O2 sensors).
Let him tell us if the CHECK engine light is on within his instrument cluster.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 7:56pm On Sep 12, 2015
luvinhubby:

Excessive fuel consumption can be caused by a couple things, most likely, the emission system (Catalyst & O2 sensors).
True that, however, it could be also a KPOM sign especially if there's no CEL in his dash and its confirmed by the DLC tool.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 8:15pm On Sep 12, 2015
kingreign:

Does the engine smoke?
N

Not sure about DAT.....will get a concrete answer by 2mao morning.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 8:42pm On Sep 12, 2015
luvinhubby:

The only light I have permanently ON is the ' maintenance required' light. Not even ' engine oil' light .is on.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 8:52pm On Sep 12, 2015
diggy4real:

The only light I have permanently ON is the ' maintenance required' light. Not even ' engine oil' light .is on.

Do a scan on the vehicle and post the results here.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 9:34pm On Sep 12, 2015
luvinhubby:

Do a scan on the vehicle and post the results here.

Am a new timer ooo.....just bought the car....still owing the former owner though.....how much does scan cost?.......plus like how much can I use in fixing this? So I can tell the seller of my findings..... Since I still v to balance him some money. Is 2005 EOD.....no CHECK ENGINE indicator light in d instrument panel. Please a rough estimate will be appreciated.... So I can knw wat to balance the owner.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Ogbajie(m): 9:55pm On Sep 12, 2015
kingreign:

Scan
thanks.I ll do that on monday
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 10:07pm On Sep 12, 2015
diggy4real:

Am a new timer ooo.....just bought the car....still owing the former owner though.....how much does scan cost?.......plus like how much can I use in fixing this? So I can tell the seller of my findings..... Since I still v to balance him some money. Is 2005 EOD.....no CHECK ENGINE indicator light in d instrument panel. Please a rough estimate will be appreciated.... So I can knw wat to balance the owner.
Oga you have not said if your car is a V6 or 4 cylinder.
What is your MPG to determine if your fuel consumption is high.
What are the lights that are indicating on your cluster.

And scans are free most places, but a few fellows charge around 3k for one and after that we can then tell you the expected cost of repairs.

Thank me later.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by whyteboyz03(m): 10:32pm On Sep 12, 2015
@diggy4real..... Your fuel consumption could be ur catalyst filament and O2 sensor...... Get a smith to check the catalyst in d exhaust and check if ur exhaust is leaking ...... The oil leakage or shortage could be broken or weak oil seals.....has d engine undergone ringing before ?

Don't forget to scan
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chamber2(m): 12:34am On Sep 13, 2015
@luvinhubby

Do you deal on auto spare parts? I urgently need honda 2008 plug coil. It's a v6. One of my plug coils is bad and it's causing the car to misfire

Kindly assist with an estimate of replacement cost; fairly used or brand new.

Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Emmane: 4:18am On Sep 13, 2015
krystaball:

Call 07011822425

@krystaball @luvinhybby I need to have a clue on what could be actually wrong. What to do. If i'm to worry about it. Is it something that could be fixed?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 7:12am On Sep 13, 2015
luvinhubby:

Oga you have not said if your car is a V6 or 4 cylinder.
What is your MPG to determine if your fuel consumption is high.
What are the lights that are indicating on your cluster.

And scans are free most places, but a few fellows charge around 3k for one and after that we can then tell you the expected cost of repairs.

Thank me later.

Is a 4 cylinder engine....
Dunno how to get my mpg ( first timer)
I stay in warri.....any place I scan here will b appreciated.
No light on the instrument panel is on apart from " maintenance required light"
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 8:31am On Sep 13, 2015
kingreign:

Does the engine smoke?

Just started the engine and while gear handler still on park.....I fired the accelerator........behold a black smoke......not too dark though.....buh is black ......came out of the exhaust.

D engine oil has gone down the more.....what could dis be?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Flyingman(m): 8:52am On Sep 13, 2015
Dear sirs, what could be the cause of my key getting stuck in ignition when I want to remove it. Other times, it comes out perfect. I'll have to remove the -ve battery head as a way to remove it which is quite embarrassing.

NB: gear is always on park (P) and dashboard shows P.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by davo3286: 10:33am On Sep 13, 2015
diggy4real:

Is a 4 cylinder engine....
Dunno how to get my mpg ( first timer)
I stay in warri.....any place I scan here will b appreciated.
No light on the instrument panel is on apart from " maintenance required light"

Go to HYLANDER AUTO SHOP at PTI road opposite Masoje bus stop for a thorough scan. They charge N1500 only. I would like to see the car if you don't mind. Just send me a private message with your number. And, please, after you're done fixing the problem...STOP USING MOBIL OIL! It get your make your car sluggish and smoky with too much carbon deposits in your tail pipe...you might not notice it until you step hard on the throttle while zooming on the highway. Always use - like I do - genuine honda 5W-20 engine oil and filter. With that your car will be happy. I've used two honda accords in the last 3yrs...a 2007 honda accord SE I4 2.4L ivtec engine (my first wife), and a 2010 honda accord EX-L Nav 3.5L V6 VCM engine (my second wife). These are good cars and i enjoy them. I've never used any other oil since i bought them and this is evident on my exhaust because if you come check my exhaust by dipping a finger in it you will see that its almost clean.

Contact @Luvinhubby if need anything concerning your accord. I've been dealing with him for more than 2yrs now, though i've not met him we only do transactions by phone but i can tell you that he is worth doing business with. You can quote me anywhere.

I hope you enjoy you car.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nkechi042(f): 11:23am On Sep 13, 2015
davo3286:
Just last week I did the following works on my 2010 Honda Accord 3.5L V6 Auto.

1. Brake pad replacement - front and rear;
2. Brake fluid flush and replacement;
3. Radiator coolant flush and replacement;
4. Sway bar bushing replacement - front and rear;
5. Sway bar linkages, a.k.a stabilizer linkages, replacement - front and rear

All fluids were genuine honda fluids and mechanical parts procured from @Luvinhubby.

The brakes are now sharp and very responsive since I replaced the brake fluid. The heater temperature has increased to normal since I replaced the radiator coolant. The car is more stable and the shocks firmer since I replaced the sway bar bushing and stabilizer linkages.

You will be shocked - at least I was - to see how dirty your brake fluid is when you do a total flush. The colour was a little blackish with some debris in it. Some of us drive our cars for years without flushing and replacing the brake, radiator, a.c, and transmission fluids as recommended which is bad. One major cause of brake failure is bad/contaminated brake fluid (one that has lost its characteristics due to long usage or contamination). If you have not replaced your brake fluid in the last 2-3yrs please try and do so. And please make sure air is not introduced into the system. To achieve this, make sure you introduce new fluid as you flush or bleed out the old one simultaneously...keep introducing new one as you flush out the old one and then stop flushing or bleeding as soon as you see new, fresh fluid coming out.

Thanks to @Luvinhubby for quick delivery of items and please keep it up. You are, indeed, a very trustworthy and reliable fellow with high integrity. I give you 5 stars for reliability, trustworthiness and fast delivery of genuine parts and fluids!

just want to save the post. thanks

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 11:25am On Sep 13, 2015
diggy4real:

Just started the engine and while gear handler still on park.....I fired the accelerator........behold a black smoke......not too dark though.....buh is black ......came out of the exhaust.

D engine oil has gone down the more.....what could dis be?
Your car needs a tune up. Do your car consume fuel more than usual?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:40am On Sep 13, 2015
poshest:
pls help am always having issues with my honda accord 03 the engine is v6. i discovered the fan belt is always disengaging and its always bending the valves. ve changed d fan belt and valves like four times in 2 months. pls i dont know d reason for this. the car dey show me shege. what could be d cause, what do i need to do.

Timing belt keeps snapping, it's possibly a fake timing belt, or a stiff component is involved e.g waterpump.

If your engine is weak, just get a replacement
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:42am On Sep 13, 2015
diggy4real:
@luvinhubby and the rest gurus.... Please I need an urgent answer.....I have been going tru dis thread.....for a while but....I saw posts of persons with my kinda of problem.....answers wia given....buh known came to testify if the suggestions solved d problem.....my case is this.....I just bought an EOD 2004 version......2wks old now....did servicing(changed oil filter and oil) I used Mobil though........ After a week....just noticed my engine oil has reduced drastically ( the engine oil shortage on d instrument panel not ON though)....plus my fuel economy has reduced ( guzzles fuel now)....pls am still paying for this vehicle...... What is the remedy for this? At what cost Will I get this fixed? Answers from guys DAT had dis issues will be Rilly Rilly be appreciated.

The vehicle was sold to you because of the oil shortage as the primary fault.

Replace your engine.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 12:45pm On Sep 13, 2015
kingreign:

Your car needs a tune up. Do your car consume fuel more than usual?

Yes... Infact I don't use AC anymore.....the consumption is still much..
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 12:46pm On Sep 13, 2015
diggy4real:

Yes... Infact I don't use AC anymore.....the consumption is still much..
I bet theres check engine lights showing on your dashboard.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 1:54pm On Sep 13, 2015
kingreign:

I bet theres check engine lights showing on your dashboard.

EOD 2005....has no "check engine" indicator light on the instrument panel(stand to be corrected though) buy wat is permanently ON on the dashboard is " maintenance required" indicator light.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 1:57pm On Sep 13, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

The vehicle was sold to you because of the oil shortage as the primary fault.

Replace your engine.

If at all as a result of that.....how much is EOD 2005 engine? So I can know wat to tell the seller regarding the remaining payment.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 2:02pm On Sep 13, 2015
davo3286:

Go to HYLANDER AUTO SHOP at PTI road opposite Masoje bus stop for a thorough scan. They charge N1500 only. I would like to see the car if you don't mind. Just send me a private message with your number. And, please, after you're done fixing the problem...STOP USING MOBIL OIL! It get your make your car sluggish and smoky with too much carbon deposits in your tail pipe...you might not notice it until you step hard on the throttle while zooming on the highway. Always use - like I do - genuine honda 5W-20 engine oil and filter. With that your car will be happy. I've used two honda accords in the last 3yrs...a 2007 honda accord SE I4 2.4L ivtec engine (my first wife), and a 2010 honda accord EX-L Nav 3.5L V6 VCM engine (my second wife). These are good cars and i enjoy them. I've never used any other oil since i bought them and this is evident on my exhaust because if you come check my exhaust by dipping a finger in it you will see that its almost clean.

Contact @Luvinhubby if need anything concerning your accord. I've been dealing with him for more than 2yrs now, though i've not met him we only do transactions by phone but i can tell you that he is worth doing business with. You can quote me anywhere.

I hope you enjoy you car.

Thanks bro....I will do that as soon as I get into warri .will also send u a PM wen am in town.....I appreciate.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:22pm On Sep 13, 2015
diggy4real:

If at all as a result of that.....how much is EOD 2005 engine? So I can know wat to tell the seller regarding the remaining payment .

You were supposed to inspect and ask questions before paying, he was also supposed to give you full disclosure on all defects of the vehicle.

Any way I smell trouble.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by diggy4real: 2:52pm On Sep 13, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

You were supposed to inspect and ask questions before paying, he was also supposed to give you full disclosure on all defects of the vehicle.

Any way I smell trouble.

There won't be any trouble........ Just will appreciate if the price of the engine can be determined.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ukata16(m): 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
@Gazzuz, @Luvinhubby pls I need help.
Jusy noticed my steering oil has go own to almost 'low' level. This afternoon I noticed oil on the floor underneath the engine. I checked a rusted pipe infront of the condenser and it seems like the leak is from there. Pls what o I do? DOes it need replacement, if so can any good mechanic around do it? Also what will it cost me.
I will upload the pics
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ukata16(m): 4:04pm On Sep 13, 2015
The pics. By the way I found out I bought a 'rust bucket' grin
It's a Honda Accord 98 i4.
@luvinhubby thatss the car I serviced with Fatai last April

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by poshest(f): 4:50pm On Sep 13, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Timing belt keeps snapping, it's possibly a fake timing belt, or a stiff component is involved e.g waterpump.

If your engine is weak, just get a replacement
i just changed d engine last december. its d fan belt thats is always cutting off then a string from the fan belt goes in to reset the timing belt which ends up bending d valves in the engine.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by lanre2009: 5:09pm On Sep 13, 2015
@Luvinhubby: How many litres of 5w-20 synthetic oil will i require to service a 2006 Honda accord, i will prefer HONDA BRAND. How much will it cost. Also let me know the cost of the oil filter. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 6:18pm On Sep 13, 2015
lanre2009:
@Luvinhubby: How many litres of 5w-20 synthetic oil will i require to service a 2006 Honda accord, i will prefer HONDA BRAND. How much will it cost. Also let me know the cost of the oil filter. Thanks
N11,000. for all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.